Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
It's a shame that I was never really able to get into the Bethesda fallout games. Like a played through and beat 3 but I put like 2 hours into 4 and just stopped. I think a lot of it is probably Bethesda fatigue combined with my general apathy towards first person games.

Were the wasteland remakes any good coming from someone who much preferred fallout 1 and 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's no Wasteland remake I'm aware of but there are sequels. I liked 2, I haven't gotten around to 3 but have heard good things.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Yea, that's what I meant, the Kickstarted sequels, my bad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not quite sure how to articulate it but I do feel that the show is pushing Obsidian shaped objects through a Bethesda shaped hole. Mostly the same but also missing some edges. Not enough to fundamentally change it, but... different.

The most indicative thing to my brain is that when they use the Fallout theme for thr NCR they used the FO3/4 melody rather than the New Vegas melody.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no Wasteland remake I'm aware of but there are sequels. I liked 2, I haven't gotten around to 3 but have heard good things.

Wasteland 3 is a good game that probably doesn’t deserve its place on my personal shitlist anymore. When it launched multiplayer was absolutely borked and that dragged it down because my bud and I had planned to play through it together.

It’s also got the best cover of Everybody Have Fun Tonight to ever exist.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This obviously isn’t gonna win Best Drama or anything, but it was the right balance of pulpy and prestige IMO. I liked that it wasn’t too reverential to the game and tried to do its own thing.

Only thing I took issue with the acting. Purnell does a great wide-eyed happy-go-lucky vault dweller but she really struggled to sell the despair in the finale. Moten is pretty one note. Goggins, on the other hand, crushes every scene he’s in.

Also for a show set in California it’s awfully white.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you kiss a ghoul, can you keep both heads vertical and then just stick your nose into their nose hole?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm curious how they did the nose makeup. The ghouls look like Halloween costumes but they're also really good Halloween costumes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m assuming green screen. In all the makeup footage I’ve seen they never showed how the nose was put together

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They probably are doing the same method as they did for Red Skull. Goggins walking around with a green nose all day shooting.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Not green screen, he had a nose piece that had tracking dots on it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Accipiter posted:

I've actually never visited NMA before today despite being a Fallout fan for decades. I've of course heard of it a handful of times over the years, I've just never had a desire to be part of that kind of dedicated fan community for, well, anything. (Unless Star Trek Shitposting counts?)

I decided to see what all the fuss was about and had a look at some of the posts and comments just now. Let's just say after 5 minutes or so, I've unsurprisingly come to the conclusion that I haven't missed out on anything and that I'm pretty well done with them.

I remember somebody's manifesto from NMA from back in the day that said any new Fallout that is not an isometric game that looks exactly like 1/2, no graphic update whatsoever even, that was just unhinged.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I remember an NMA review of Fallout 3 calling it "unfortunately fun" lol

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Dawgstar posted:

I remember somebody's manifesto from NMA from back in the day that said any new Fallout that is not an isometric game that looks exactly like 1/2, no graphic update whatsoever even, that was just unhinged.

I closed the tab after reading a comment that, referring to the show, was something like "Unmitigated garbage! Amazon spent $158 million on this shitfest LMAO" followed by a smattering of comments similar to "this isn't even a good show on its own merits" and "the show is badly written, badly mixed, badly blocked, doesn't look good at all, and violently rapes the lore."

That's all I needed to see to know just what kind of nutbags are over there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Being a fan of a thing makes you not like things from that thing

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Based on the degenerate game mods made for the Bethesda Fallout games, I mostly assume that fans have irradiated brains by default

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Compendium posted:

Based on the degenerate game mods made for the Bethesda Fallout games, I mostly assume that fans have irradiated brains by default

No I'm doesn't.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7eeEprQ0x4

God I hope the New Vegas theme plays at some point in Season 2. That is one angry piano.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I only have three radioactive sources in my home, my brain is fine. It's fine!!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'll never understand the whole sending death threats thing. Such a nonsense thing to do.

I made it through three entire episodes of Cowboy Bebop before giving up, and never once through that nightmarish experience did it ever occur to me to threaten the lives of the people who created that monster.

People get weirdly possessive over the first non-mainstream thing they love and understand I think. Especially when video games were not mainstream, such a niche community and people get protective about it.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I generally watch shows on my morning commute so it’s possible I missed it but Did we get a reveal on what sinister thing was happening in Vault 32? Was it supposed to be that they discovered 31’s secret? Doesn’t seem like that would be enough to off yourself and write cryptic messages on the wall. Also No elaboration on the cult behind Moldaver. We see her NCR settlement and it seems pretty normal. Was it just a Vault 4 thing?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7eeEprQ0x4

God I hope the New Vegas theme plays at some point in Season 2. That is one angry piano.

That and the bit in the intro after Benny shoots you are burned into my brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZxGLhrefAs&t=270s

That said I've heard it enough times that these days I change the title music to either My Chrysalis Highwayman or Home On The Wastes depending on my mood. Wouldn't mind a Home On The Wastes shoutout in the show, come to think of it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

That and the bit in the intro after Benny shoots you are burned into my brain

"Ain't like I expect to find you've got a family history of getting shot in the head."

"No, but I have restarted Fallout New Vegas over 500 times and Benny has shot me in every single one."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Schools in the future:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eycJbNi4cBA&pp=ygUdR2lybCB3aXRoIGFsbCB0aGUgZ29mdHMgY2xhc3M%3D

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"Four: I'm slow to embrace new ideas."

I click Strongly Disagree as I begin my 50th playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas.

I think the only mention of Shady Sands in New Vegas is the NCR citizenship test asking "What was the original name of the NCR capital?" That implies the capital changed before 2281; maybe that's the Fall of Shady Sands, and the NCR seat of government moved to a region that wasn't hit so hard by drought.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

I generally watch shows on my morning commute so it’s possible I missed it but Did we get a reveal on what sinister thing was happening in Vault 32? Was it supposed to be that they discovered 31’s secret? Doesn’t seem like that would be enough to off yourself and write cryptic messages on the wall. Also No elaboration on the cult behind Moldaver. We see her NCR settlement and it seems pretty normal. Was it just a Vault 4 thing?

No, nothing explicit. No signposts to tell us what exactly happened. The vaults can't talk to eachother all that well. It's a facility run by middle managers, so of course they silo off their little fiefdoms and dont normally share resources. We also have no idea the time between communications of the vaults. It could be that they only talk to eachother once a year at best. So nobody communicating with 32 for a year+ could make sense. Actually, the more that I think about it, 31,32,33 being stuck in a forever hell cycle of middle managers competing with each other makes pretty good sense in and of itself.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Unless someone has figured it out or I missed it, they haven't figured out what the experiment Vault 33 and 32 were running.

Maybe Vault 33 was about testing cousins and Vault 32 was the supply to correct that problem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think 33 and 32 were supposed to be manipulated by the popsicles into breeding the perfect class of middle managers to rule the wasteland. 32 apparently found out about the experiment, revolted, and got wiped out though that is somewhat more speculative.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

The people in 32 & 33 were also being conditioned to vote for anyone from 31 for overseer with (possibly manufactured) crises being the trigger. "When things look glum, vote for 31" or however the saying went. The idea that it was a democratic meritocracy was a lie: one of the pre-war Vault-Tec middle managers would always be in control of those vaults and no amount of voting would ever change that.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
My assumption re: Vault 32 is they found out at least some of what was going on with Vault 31 (see the grafitti) and there then gassed with standard issue Vault-Tec Gas That Makes You Murder-Suicide (thus explaining all the people killing each other and the toaster suicide) or something. what I'm unclear on is who cleaned up the bodies and set up everything up overnight for the vault 33 people to move in? The only people who would have been able to do it were Overseer Betty and the mini robobrain, they couldn't let anyone else do it or they would see the graffiti and whatnot. did they unfreeze a bunch of people for one night or what?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

Not quite sure how to articulate it but I do feel that the show is pushing Obsidian shaped objects through a Bethesda shaped hole. Mostly the same but also missing some edges. Not enough to fundamentally change it, but... different.

The most indicative thing to my brain is that when they use the Fallout theme for thr NCR they used the FO3/4 melody rather than the New Vegas melody.

there isn't an annoying guy screaming bear and bull so no. The NCR flag unfurling isn't completely like the FO4 theme because it lacks the strings but its a much more somber melody than the guitars in FNV.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Whenever you notice something like that, a robot did it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Question for the game players:

is the tv show the most central plot of the franchise?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

covidstomper58 posted:

Unless someone has figured it out or I missed it, they haven't figured out what the experiment Vault 33 and 32 were running.

Maybe Vault 33 was about testing cousins and Vault 32 was the supply to correct that problem.

I figured it was just this way they'd have a more believable reason to control, for lack of a better term, breeding in the vaults. If you're working to create the perfect manager through selective breeding you'd need to able to control it. The show opened with Lucy having to apply to be able to have children, which in these vaults required a transfer from one vault to another, and having no real control over who she was stuck with. That's how you'd breed plants or livestock, prevent it from reproducing with anything other than something you want it to and see what the result is.

This way they have a perfect reason to move only one or two people over as needed, and if something went wrong in one vault they could just expand to the next without any real issues other than potentially slowing down the experiment a little.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I’ve seen some people say Maximus is a bit one note, and on rewatching I don’t think that’s right. He has to do a bunch of iron man style extreme closeup work, and he does a subtle and effective performance. You can see him change from new guy to power drunk to compassion to understanding the world isn’t a meritocracy. I like him, though he’s definitely in 3rd or 4th place (I love me some Pemberton), but that’s only because Purcell and Goggins are so good.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I have been seeing a lot of "hes a better finn from star wars"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It must be rough for a couple of relatively young and new actors to have to try to stand out on screen with a full power Goggins.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Steve Yun posted:

What do you mean most central? It focuses on things the games talk about, in terms of topics. there are some revelations. But most games are set in discrete wasteland with some recurring characters, not interlocking plots between games.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Steve Yun posted:

Not really.

All the games are separate stories, that take place decades apart.
there's no central plot within series, except what happened in past.

TV Series is continuation of that. a New story happening after the games that expands the lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Dr.Radical posted:

As others have noted, that seems to be the case. Given that the overseer's corpse is tied to their chair, and there are signs of violent struggle between vault dwellers, I'd wager someone figured out what 31 was all about, and there was a rebellion against 31's rule, which seems to have succeeded, briefly. The largest concentration of bodies are found at the vault door, which they were attempting to cut through. The writing on the wall suggests they knew what was really in 31. idk what actually killed that group of vault dwellers. Maybe 31 gassed them?