Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

atelier morgan posted:

china handles it by means of explosives

your bog standard rifle squad carries a 120mm rocket launcher and a 35mm rotary automatic grenade launcher, as well as the usual SAW and rifles

the 120mm pf-98 has twice the effective range of the western carl gustaf and packs 4x the explosive

their grenade launchers are high-velocity weapons, so those 35mms can reach out twice as far as man-portable western 40mm launchers

meanwhile your bog standard US rifle squad doesn't carry a rocket launcher of any sort, and has two single shot M320 40mm together with the SAW and rifles

the rifle platoon for both has three such squads. the us rifle platoon will also have two anti-armor teams each with a javelin. the us rifle company will have two 60mm mortar sections.

the chinese platoon has two 60mm mortar sections each and two additional 35mm grenade launcher sections each

but sure some rifles that shoot longer for five minutes before breaking and needing to be sent back to SIG for maintenance will make the superior combat force and they definitely won't lose ww3

(the firepower disparity gets even more lopsided at the company/battallion/brigade/etc level)

Good lord, it really is stark when you lay it out like that. It's a good thing that America's intangibles are so much better than China's otherwise the US disadvantage in just about every material field would be really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

atelier morgan posted:

(the firepower disparity gets even more lopsided at the company/battallion/brigade/etc level)

Could you expand on that or point to a source? It sounds interesting to read about.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the idea in theory is at least partially that US air supremacy will make up for the firepower deficiency on the ground, so it’s not that they have less firepower, it’s just been outsourced to the Air Force, allowing the infantry to specialize more. What other armies would handle with mortars or artillery the US will handle with CAS.

now in practice that’s really really stupid and will fall apart immediately when facing an enemy with anti-aircraft capability (or, god help you, their own air force) but, well, thread title

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Mister Bates posted:

the idea in theory is at least partially that US air supremacy will make up for the firepower deficiency on the ground, so it’s not that they have less firepower, it’s just been outsourced to the Air Force, allowing the infantry to specialize more. What other armies would handle with mortars or artillery the US will handle with CAS.

now in practice that’s really really stupid and will fall apart immediately when facing an enemy with anti-aircraft capability (or, god help you, their own air force) but, well, thread title

Hmm, a mortar with is at most a radio call away, or can be shouting distance/a runner or an aircraft belonging to an entirely different branch of service? Which is the easiest for immediate firepower for an immediate target?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/thinking_panda/status/1781903820630741128?t=jYQgzkQvHvgQuBQHiYRxbg&s=19

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Same, but the Aurora 4X wiki section on missiles and countermeasures.

I just assume everything America says about its capabilities is lying for marketing purposes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

I just assume everything America says... is lying...

:hmmyes:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Anyway, also the 003 carrier has been fitting out for sea trials, it has also been confirmed the PLAN has also been building a type 76 "drone carrier" as well to go alongside their other ships. It makes sense they would want to split the difference between more traditional carrier designs and a multi-role carrier that can also launch large drones.

It is still unclear when they are going to start on their type 004s, but they are going to have 2 drydocks large enough for super carriers.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Long range automatic grenade launcher sounds like the kind of weapon that will dominate any infantry on infantry combat that doesn't involve serious prepared defensive works.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Orange Devil posted:

Long range automatic grenade launcher sounds like the kind of weapon that will dominate any infantry on infantry combat that doesn't involve serious prepared defensive works.

Having played America's Army back in 2005 or so I can confirm this is true

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
In Squad, which prides itself on being the spiritual successor to Project Reality, the PLA doesn't have access to the QLZ-87 (the 25mm automatic grenade launcher), or the QLU-11 (the 40mm grenade launcher/anti materiel rifle), which are what their entire infantry squads are built around in reality . On top of that people have gone into the SDK and shown that they've deliberately made the Chinese weapons have more recoil than they should.

Meanwhile, the US has access to multiple LAWs, AT-4s, and Carl Gustafs at the individual squad level. It's not surprising the superior high tech American vs Chinese horde armed with garbage narrative persists when even the "simulator" games developed by small studios push it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Having played America's Army back in 2005 or so I can confirm this is true

I won three championships playing that game, so yeah, I know.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
I just assume its a combination of Americans being rifleman / marksmanship obsessed and downright lazy in not wanting to lug heavy weapons around. It's ridiculous to me that the Chinese and Russians have so many integrated support weapons at the platoon level, from RPG's with thermobaric warheads to automatic grenade launchers, and American troops rely on a single machine gun per squad for everything. For supposedly being so firepower focused American infantry are weirdly lightly armed compared to their contemporaries across the globe.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/07/14/10lb-60mm-ultra-light-mortar-adopted-polish-special-forces-group/

"The 60mm Antos mortar, also previously branded the Norsk USA/DSG Technology iMortar in the USA, is a unique ultra-lightweight medium caliber mortar intended to be carried with light infantry and special forces. In contrast to existing mortars like the 60mm M224 which weigh over 20 kilograms when assembled, the Antos is much ligher, with a total system weight of only 5 kg (~11 lb). It achieves this through a novel design which eliminates the traditional bipod, reduces the mass of the baseplate (which is fixed, instead of removable), and incorporates the use of an innovative liquid sighting system that uses a body of liquid to indicate the ranging distance. Perhaps most significantly, the Antos requires only a single operator, where existing mortars require a gunner plus assistants. A video showing the Antos in operation is embedded below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vkHwLxhOgw

The Antos is not a replacement for the existing mortar, as it reportedly cannot duplicate its performance. Durability and barrel life of the Antos is apparently reduced, and the mortar is effective only to 1,230m, much less than the 3,000m + of the M224. However, it’s not difficult to see how incorporating mortars of this type into small special operations forces reconnaissance teams, or even at platoon level in a regular force during certain operations, would be a serious force multiplier."

Maybe have a few of these in squads or platoons, whilst having the heavier & longer ranged mortars for self-propelled vehicles as additional support? Nope, that's crazy talk!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Remember to they reduced weapons companies to platoons in BCT battalions, so the heavy weaponry support has been greatly reduced at the battalion level as well. Maybe some day they will get some of their own FPG drones?

Otherwise, an average platoon of motorized infantry will have 6 M249s beyond underbarrel grenade launchers. It is pretty barebones.

The F-35 is suppose to do it all...even though countries around the world are banking on AD and at least 2 other powers have their own 5th fighters.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Apr 21, 2024

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

GoLambo posted:

I just assume its a combination of Americans being rifleman / marksmanship obsessed and downright lazy in not wanting to lug heavy weapons around. It's ridiculous to me that the Chinese and Russians have so many integrated support weapons at the platoon level, from RPG's with thermobaric warheads to automatic grenade launchers, and American troops rely on a single machine gun per squad for everything. For supposedly being so firepower focused American infantry are weirdly lightly armed compared to their contemporaries across the globe.

These days American infantry sit in fortified bases and only venture out to kill farmers or do sick night time SWAT raids on houses full of children. Don't need a ton of firepower

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Hmm, a mortar with is at most a radio call away, or can be shouting distance/a runner or an aircraft belonging to an entirely different branch of service? Which is the easiest for immediate firepower for an immediate target?

If you assume total air superiority that means the F-35's are right there at all times, bing bang bong so simple.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Orange Devil posted:

in my experience it's great against bugs but only so so against automatons. take it with the supply pack if you want to sustain fire.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

in my experience it's great against bugs but only so so against automatons. take it with the supply pack if you want to sustain fire.

auto cannon has more anmo, can be crew fed, and doesnt bounce back and kill you.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Arven posted:

In Squad, which prides itself on being the spiritual successor to Project Reality, the PLA doesn't have access to the QLZ-87 (the 25mm automatic grenade launcher), or the QLU-11 (the 40mm grenade launcher/anti materiel rifle), which are what their entire infantry squads are built around in reality . On top of that people have gone into the SDK and shown that they've deliberately made the Chinese weapons have more recoil than they should.

Meanwhile, the US has access to multiple LAWs, AT-4s, and Carl Gustafs at the individual squad level. It's not surprising the superior high tech American vs Chinese horde armed with garbage narrative persists when even the "simulator" games developed by small studios push it.

I thought the Chinese 5.8x42mm (which I think we've posted about ITT) is supposed to handle really well, too?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

GoLambo posted:

We stripped away most of the weapons from our Cold War Big Battalions, which were the pride and joy of the Canadian Army literally because getting soldiers to lug around M2s, C6, Eryx, 60mm mortars was considered too onerous, even though the large amount of weapons is what gave our infantry in LAVs and M113s the staying power to actually be useful. Or, on the other hand, they were all left behind in Canada or Kandahar and the personnel used to fill slots on patrols of FOBs, which by birdbrain logic led to "why have them at all?"

Across NATO, I think the GWOT really hurt weapons platoons/companies. If people don't see them being useful now, it's too easy to cross them off the establishment.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Hedenius posted:

If I was an American Admiral I would be a bit concerned about the fact that the Houthis managed to force an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer to use it's CIWS to shoot down one of their missiles. If one of the poorest countries in the world can use their limited resources and Iranian help to do that it would be scary to imagine a full on attack by an industrial superpower like China.

Of course I'm sure that the Americans are watching this situation closely and learning all the right lessons. Now I'll simply confirm this by checking navytimes.com:

I see. Any day now I guess...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxzI4LuNSU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

GoLambo posted:

Americans have essentially combined the role of cop and soldier. This means our cops are too heavily armed and our soldiers are under equipped for actual military operations. Military objectives are achieved with bombings or not at all. Cop-soldiers exist to harass the civilians population and prevent the formation of a society capable of resisting the looting.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
americans will be forced to resort to human wave attacks to deal with superior chinese firepower.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Arven posted:

Important to note that Squad was immediately taken over by Finance Guys, who fired all original team members that wouldn't relocate to a vanity office in Canada. They also screwed most people out of their shares and concentrated them in four people, most of whom had not been part of the original team. Then they spent literally millions of dollars on hiring corporate coaches and writing culture handbooks.

Also notable is that the company started getting a bunch of military contracts, so some of the ideological rot probably comes from there too. This is why they waste millions of dollars on vanity projects that get cancelled, and exec bonuses.

Almost every member of the actual team who wasn't fired quit in disgust.

PR, by the way, is awesome these days because they dropped a lot of pretenses and started balancing it as a game. The quality of maps and especially of graphics is very inconsistent, and there's only a few servers and they don't fill every night. But a bunch of the devs returned to it and it's really great if you get a good round.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Is =HOG Mixed Maps= still a thing? I remember everyone making GBS threads on it but it was always the only full one.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Important to note that Squad was immediately taken over by Finance Guys, who fired all original team members that wouldn't relocate to a vanity office in Canada. They also screwed most people out of their shares and concentrated them in four people, most of whom had not been part of the original team. Then they spent literally millions of dollars on hiring corporate coaches and writing culture handbooks.

Also notable is that the company started getting a bunch of military contracts, so some of the ideological rot probably comes from there too. This is why they waste millions of dollars on vanity projects that get cancelled, and exec bonuses.

Almost every member of the actual team who wasn't fired quit in disgust.

No loving way. I hadn't heard any of this.

I couldn't figure out some of those decisions, but this is almost more incomprehensible than my assumption that they didn't have enough resources or were trying to thread the needle between Arma and Insurgency Sandstorm.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I just knew that for a long time they were chasing the twitchy shooter meta because youtubers were used to it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
AA was fun because beyond effects like “blurred vision” in games now, suppressing fire really meant something. A series of SAW or RPD bursts coming across a partially smoke-obscured road matters when your team is ~10 people and one shot either knocks you out or significantly impairs you for the next half hour.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Tankbuster posted:

I just knew that for a long time they were chasing the twitchy shooter meta because youtubers were used to it.

Was that the infantry combat update that I saw a million YouTube videos recommended about?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Was that the infantry combat update that I saw a million YouTube videos recommended about?

yes that was their famous "we are RETVRNing to our roots as a realistic squad based game." All in all looks less fun than project reality because the latter lets you play as the vietcong and shoot rockets at hueys.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Tankbuster posted:

yes that was their famous "we are RETVRNing to our roots as a realistic squad based game." All in all looks less fun than project reality because the latter lets you play as the vietcong and shoot rockets at hueys.

SOG Prairie Fire did it the best, even though Arma 3 is janky as gently caress and pretty old at this point.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
According to Fire Power it was Orde Wingate and the Chindits that pioneered the idea of running a campaign where all your supporting fires were provided by air support (because they couldn't haul artillery through the jungles of Burma) and when combined with the USA adopting British methods of coordination between land and air forces (that were perfected by the Desert Air Force) the infection arguably comes from the Brits.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

add that to the list of 21st century American preoccupations Orde Wingate was involved with.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why doesnt america just build an orbital launching giant mortar and shoot its enemies across the globe from the alaskan tundra?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

According to Fire Power it was Orde Wingate and the Chindits that pioneered the idea of running a campaign where all your supporting fires were provided by air support (because they couldn't haul artillery through the jungles of Burma) and when combined with the USA adopting British methods of coordination between land and air forces (that were perfected by the Desert Air Force) the infection arguably comes from the Brits.

the chindits suffered from dysentery lol

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Tankbuster posted:

the chindits suffered from dysentery lol

If only they had helicopters smdh :(

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Good god that 40mm Grenada launcher can do programmed airbursts from 600m. That’s loving terrifying.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Remulak posted:

Good god that 40mm Grenada launcher can do programmed airbursts from 600m. That’s loving terrifying.

ay caramba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Iirc I came across an argument that the extremely failed Japanese invasion of India happened because they were so impressed with Wingate's successes and didn't realize the UK was covering up all the massive problems his raids had