Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Shumagorath posted:

Play as Gale; duh

What is playing as Origin Gale even like? I can't imagine his endings in first person lol

I think I might have to shelve my current Dark Urge playthrough until Patch 7, so I think I will find out for myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

wizard2 posted:

What is playing as Origin Gale even like?
Minimum 200% more Tara

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Shumagorath posted:

Minimum 200% more Tara

that rules!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

also i started a durge run and oh yeah. hell yeah. tav is fine but i love the extra layer of having to like, interact with your own character. i love the option to ask for roasted dwarf instead of gruel.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

cash crab posted:

also i started a durge run and oh yeah. hell yeah. tav is fine but i love the extra layer of having to like, interact with your own character. i love the option to ask for roasted dwarf instead of gruel.

You can grab some from the Goblin Party, even. Though unless you kill everyone at the party first, it's tagged as stealing.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Wow, the hotfixes have made the game extremely unstable again on PS5. I decided to do a shadowheart origin run and it has crashed so many times in act 1

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dark Urge is a lot of fun

Right now I am in the depths of Grymforge. I am a Gith Knowledge Cleric 2/Rogue 1/Bard 2 going the rest in Bard. With the druid statue, I have Proficiency in all the skills except three of them, and Ill be sure to snag Skilled once I am Bard 4. It's been really wild hitting most of the skill checks so far!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Just be careful and don't get too confident. Lives (all mortal lives) expire, you know.

decided to keep my army of summons from house of hope and quaff one of my five long rest potions instead of proper resting. suffice it to say that cazador did not put up a fight.

shovel, us, connor, seelie deva, air myrmidon, ice mephit x2, three flying ghouls, and four danse macabre ghouls. :black101:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

If you’re in the house the tub should still work

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Black Noise posted:

If you’re in the house the tub should still work

the tub breaks when you kill the licensed and bonded plumber, Raphael

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yeah it doesn't work once he dies anymore. it used to iirc. doesn't really matter anyway since five potions go a long way at this point with just one character.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My rec for that is to keep hope’s divine intervention and pop it right before you kill the devil then go straight to cazador after

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Zodium posted:

dual crossbows is very good for act 1, but 1 fighter/1 wizard/10 sword bard with titanstring bow is the strongest build in the game once you get to act 2, and it's not close. the reason is that at level 10 sword bard you get magical secrets, and thus command and counterspell. take sharpshooter at level 4 and be sure to stock up on oils of accuracy and you'll lock down entire encounters while putting out 100+ dpr with ranged flourishes.

edit: you should level bard to 8 at first before respeccing into the multiclass.

this is what i did for my first playthrough and what i would recommend doing.

I've heard TB OH Monk is better, but as a solo character or party face, a class like Sword Bard that wants to max charisma seems optimal. There are so many charisma checks in the game where success is free XP and failure is a tough fight for the same reward.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

LifeLynx posted:

I've heard TB OH Monk is better, but as a solo character or party face, a class like Sword Bard that wants to max charisma seems optimal. There are so many charisma checks in the game where success is free XP and failure is a tough fight for the same reward.

a tough fight for the same XP value ANDDDD some assorted mundane equipment worth a paltry amount of gold :colbert:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

wizard2 posted:

a tough fight for the same XP value ANDDDD some assorted mundane equipment worth a paltry amount of gold :colbert:

It's not the XP and loot that's important, it's the people that we stabbed along the way.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just made it to I think L3 and my god there are so many skills and spells. I'm trying to choose wisely but I'm probably all over the place. I think I've met all of the party members in the area. I sent the effete vampirish fellow back to camp because my bard has basic rogue skills and I'd rather have a fighter, priest and wizard with me to round things out. The last party member looks like some sort of swashbuckler so he too will cool his heels with Rico Suave back at the camp.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Dick Trauma posted:

I just made it to I think L3 and my god there are so many skills and spells. I'm trying to choose wisely but I'm probably all over the place. I think I've met all of the party members in the area. I sent the effete vampirish fellow back to camp because my bard has basic rogue skills and I'd rather have a fighter, priest and wizard with me to round things out. The last party member looks like some sort of swashbuckler so he too will cool his heels with Rico Suave back at the camp.

i am delighted by how you get to see this with fresh eyes

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
are most of your fights in this game just casting Spike Growth and then hiding behind a door or corner or is it just me?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Whats the easiest way to get Jaheira as a party member nowadays? Is it still just keeping her alive through the last part of Act 2? Can you still not use a resurrection scroll on her if she dies as your companion as well? Because that's what got me on my first playthrough when this first came out.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

The Shame Boy posted:

Whats the easiest way to get Jaheira as a party member nowadays? Is it still just keeping her alive through the last part of Act 2? Can you still not use a resurrection scroll on her if she dies as your companion as well? Because that's what got me on my first playthrough when this first came out.

Get her to follow you in battle, and she'll be treated as a pet/summon instead of acting on her own, allowing you MUCH greater control over her survivability. Not sure about rezzing her, though. Best to avoid finding out, IMO.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

Go through and murder everyone at Moonrise towers the first time you go through. Killing everyone in groups of 3-4 is lot easier than trying to keep individual characters alive in one big fight.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

how have i clocked 154 hours without ever getting past the first part of act 3

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

Get her to follow you in battle, and she'll be treated as a pet/summon instead of acting on her own, allowing you MUCH greater control over her survivability. Not sure about rezzing her, though. Best to avoid finding out, IMO.

Yeah this was what happened in my first playthrough, but the whole place was aggro since i did the Gauntlet of Shar first before ever heading there leading too

grack posted:

trying to keep individual characters alive in one big fight.

Yeah she died as my pet/summon because EVERYBODY in that opening room attacking you all at once at the front door is a hell of a huge fight that's rough as hell. Was not able to res her from there but this time i will definintly keep her alive.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You get told multiple times that you need to go to Moonrise BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE. The only way to make it more obvious is if Larian sent someone around to your house to tell you in person.

Why people ignore this is loving baffling.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

grack posted:

You get told multiple times that you need to go to Moonrise BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE. The only way to make it more obvious is if Larian sent someone around to your house to tell you in person.

the game spends all of act 1 telling you that moonrise is the Big Boss Area and so some people go there last. i didn't, but it's not actually baffling at all if you aren't being willfully obtuse about it to act smugly superior.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

in my last playthrough the harpers survived and i went to the inn and dammon died(who has 1HP, like a rat) and so did jaihera. always moonrise.

side note i threw one of those biting rats in shars gauntlet because it kept biting shadowheart and one of them came up to me and begged me to stop killing its family.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

grack posted:

Eh, you're told Ketheric is invincible multiple times before you head there and in my case i ran into the bar with the big demon bartender and he said something about an artifact that Ketheric wants or is the source of his power or something like that. That peaked my curiosity enough to go through that before i went to the towers at all, thinking maybe i could use whatever it was in conversation/combat or have some advantage on him.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
why does my Magic Weapon and Draconic Elemental Weapon buff keep disappearing off my Moonlight Glaive? the game even tells me i'm still Concentrating!

edit: hmm, maybe it's my transmog mod

crepeface fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 21, 2024

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cash crab posted:

how have i clocked 154 hours without ever getting past the first part of act 3

60 hours now, still in Act I at 25%. And having fun! At the same time this game is already making me feel curious about repeated playthroughs, mainly as Astarion and Durge. Never had that happen before.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Just how different are playthroughs when you are one of the main characters? It always feels weird to me personally to play a "premade" character when you can make a custom one, so I've never tried it. If its different on a regular basis that might actually be fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In practice it mostly plays out like any Tav run, although every origin character gets unique scenes and dialogue options you would otherwise never see. For example, an Astarion origin will have an entire prologue cutscene introducing Cazador, Shar begins speaking with Shadowheart in Act 2, the bite scene with Astarion in Act 1 has a very different outcome if you are Karlach, etc. There's also the added flavor of incorporating some "evil" playthroughs (Ascended Astarion, DJ Shadowheart, Vlaakith-loyal Lae'zel etc.) that don't rely on being Dark Urge. Origin characters can romance other origins, which leads to some fun implausible outcomes in the epilogue. I like to think of Origin runs as being in that character's "voice" and thinking about what they would choose, given the situation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In practice, it mostly means that the character you pick has less of a personality since you control their reactions to everything.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

exquisite tea posted:

In practice it mostly plays out like any Tav run, although every origin character gets unique scenes and dialogue options you would otherwise never see. For example, an Astarion origin will have an entire prologue cutscene introducing Cazador, Shar begins speaking with Shadowheart in Act 2, the bite scene with Astarion in Act 1 has a very different outcome if you are Karlach, etc. There's also the added flavor of incorporating some "evil" playthroughs (Ascended Astarion, DJ Shadowheart, Vlaakith-loyal Lae'zel etc.) that don't rely on being Dark Urge. Origin characters can romance other origins, which leads to some fun implausible outcomes in the epilogue. I like to think of Origin runs as being in that character's "voice" and thinking about what they would choose, given the situation.

DJ Shart in the hizzouuuuusee *air horns*

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

well, I asked for a close fight, and I got a close fight. turns out ansur is real hard solo. undead control immunities with legendary incapacitation resistance, big damage, fairly strong defense, ranged retaliation, massive attack range, unbeatable mobility, aoe that quickly wipes out summons, electrified water all over the arena, and his special move as the cherry on top. i popped an elixir of universal resistance and started off sacrificing shovel to deal with the initial retaliation while my deva and air myrmidon went for his water myrmidons. he seems way harder to hit than his ac would indicate. I couldn't use sharpshooter initially, which further reduced my dpr. after my mc and big summons went, us, connor and my ghouls got wiped out in the first round without getting their turn, and it turns out that while kereska's favor gives lightning resistance, it doesn't give shock immunity, so the electrified water kept eating my arcane acuity charges. not great. definitely should have used rhapsody. his myrmidons eventually died with my deva at like 30 hp and the air myrmidon half dead, and the battle turned into a slog with me firing dragon slaying arrows while whittling down his dex with ability drain to reduce his ac.

even with resistance, i basically had to quaff a supreme healing potion every turn just to stay on my feet, but it was holding together until he was down to around 150 hp and started a second gather power while there were only two crystal formations left, while I was at half hp and far away from them. I almost used a misty step scroll until I remembered that's a bonus action, which would have meant I couldn't quaff a healing potion. if I had done that, I would probably have lost the fight and died right there. but instead I used a dimension door scroll and got behind the crystal, healed up, and that basically decided the fight. at this point his dex was down to 1 and hitting him with sharpshooter was more manageable, so a few rounds later, ansur was dead instead of me. :toot:

real pleased I redid my build to use the constitution amulet, because otherwise I would also have died, several times.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Node posted:

Just how different are playthroughs when you are one of the main characters? It always feels weird to me personally to play a "premade" character when you can make a custom one, so I've never tried it. If its different on a regular basis that might actually be fun.

it's a lot of fun! It's kind of hard for me to explain, but you get a lot more character insight through the narration, and you can play around with motivation by being in control.

Certain characters have gimmicks, like Karlach talks to herself a lot. Other characters take weird and interesting narrative turns, like evil Wyll. You can also create interesting interpersonal scenarios if youre familiar with the cast, friendships, rivalries, romances. A lot of obscure interactions and resolutions.

The drawback is you get a lot less of the voice acting.

It's a great way to get out of your comfort zone with the game! My second complete playthrough I did evil Astarion, and it was really brutal in a way that an evil Dark Urge may not be. Totally worthwhile experience not to do Tav or Durge. You should check it out for yourself!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

crepeface posted:

are most of your fights in this game just casting Spike Growth and then hiding behind a door or corner or is it just me?

Spike Growth is gas, can't believe it's only a level 2 spell

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'd think that playing as Tav is more like the traditional DnD experience where you really have to flesh out your character yourself, while playing an origin character is more like playing other action rpg's - say The Witcher's Geralt, or Cyberpunk's V - where you still have some input but the character is a lot more predetermined.

Tav is completely unnecessary for the story and doesn't have their own personal quest, for example.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
How fun is the whole Dark Justiciar getup if you go that route?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so I haven't actually played it but was looking for reference videos that had characters doing the magic animations in closeup or full profile (as opposed to top down)

this thumbnail for instancem is it from a specific cutscene? It's misleading since the video doesnt really talk about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Martian posted:

I'd think that playing as Tav is more like the traditional DnD experience where you really have to flesh out your character yourself, while playing an origin character is more like playing other action rpg's - say The Witcher's Geralt, or Cyberpunk's V - where you still have some input but the character is a lot more predetermined.

Tav is completely unnecessary for the story and doesn't have their own personal quest, for example.

Ive missed this so far, but according to BG3 Wiki, (yes, thats right.... 🤓) Tav DOES exist in the plot!

as an easily felled victim of the Dark Urge prior to the events of the game :rip: