Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Interesting, I had no idea that it’s a common thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1781305216429637806

Caps have a zero percent chance to hoist the cup, good to know.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

https://x.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1781305216429637806

Caps have a zero percent chance to hoist the cup, good to know.

I think this is the only one I’ve seen with the Rangers are the favorites. I don’t like it!

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

MoneyPuck lookin' to make bank on delusional Leafs fans who watched last night's performance and still think this year is the year.

It's me, I'm delusional Leafs fans.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
*checks how well money puck did on their season prediction* yeah going all in on their data

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Cambria Bold posted:

MoneyPuck lookin' to make bank on delusional Leafs fans who watched last night's performance and still think this year is the year.

It's me, I'm delusional Leafs fans.

Well they did get slaughtered in Round 1 Game 1 last year, and at least came back to win that series.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

tinstaach posted:

Well they did get slaughtered in Round 1 Game 1 last year, and at least came back to win that series.

Maybe that's why something about this year just feels different?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Its been happening in most sports over the last few years.

In the NHL I think Minnesota and Tampa have done it once or twice for big games. Nashville seems to be the only one doing it consistently, even outside the playoffs.

Buffalo and Ottawa have tried limiting Leaf fans at various points and gotten laughed at. Panthers limited presale to US residents for last year's payoffs.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Remember a couple years ago when Tampa wasn't letting visitors wear the other team's jerseys?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

Panthers limited presale to US residents for last year's payoffs.

Although that wouldn't have stopped any snowbird Leafs fans anyway.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Remember a couple years ago when Tampa wasn't letting visitors wear the other team's jerseys?

Stupidest idea ever since it deprives us of stuff like this

https://i.imgur.com/vhaS68d.mp4

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
For Toronto something About This Year Just Feels The Same

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Stupidest idea ever since it deprives us of stuff like this

https://i.imgur.com/vhaS68d.mp4

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

With the obvious caveat that one game is one game and the series is far from over, I feel confident posting the following:

The Maple Leafs don't bomb out of the playoffs every year because they're cursed, nor because they're spineless chokers.* They lose in the playoffs because they aren't that good. 6 years ago they were a top-heavy team without the defense or goaltending to win in the playoffs, and also very poorly coached. Now they are exactly the same team, just older.

* (Now if you want to argue that they bomb out of the playoffs in such hilarious ways every year because they're cursed and/or spineless chokers, not gonna argue with you.)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

See. This is what sports are all about.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

With the obvious caveat that one game is one game and the series is far from over, I feel confident posting the following:

The Maple Leafs don't bomb out of the playoffs every year because they're cursed, nor because they're spineless chokers.* They lose in the playoffs because they aren't that good. 6 years ago they were a top-heavy team without the defense or goaltending to win in the playoffs, and also very poorly coached. Now they are exactly the same team, just older.

* (Now if you want to argue that they bomb out of the playoffs in such hilarious ways every year because they're cursed and/or spineless chokers, not gonna argue with you.)

I mean I ran some really basic summaries of the last few seasons/post-seasons for them and it's exactly what everyone thinks is happening that is happening

Every team hits more in the post-season, or hits are tracked more or whatever causes that anomaly... that happens. It's just a fact. But the teams that already hit a lot stay in relatively the same position.

The leafs jump something like 10 spots in h/60 and start taking a gently caress ton more penalties so they just completely abandon their skill game, their forwards get smothered, and they immediately wither as soon as the other team gets a lead because they have no faith in themselves after years of demoralizing losses

I don't know how the hell you fix that but it's more than just adding some veterans or swapping a coach

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Honestly, it's too late. Their core players are in their late 20s now and they're utterly capped out. They needed to shitcan Keefe at least 3 years ago and make some serious roster changes but the organization just sat endlessly on its hands.

This is why I hated the Dubas hire for the Penguins, he is :tif:: the GM and that was the last thing in hell the Penguins needed.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://x.com/nhl/status/1782103268010643778?s=46&t=6jeBqCttHfYZcvTYdgsNIw

Charlie, buddy, you've got nothing to worry about there.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t think the Leafs window is closing by any means, teams have won with their stars in their late 20s/early 30s, but yeah the organization squandered a lot of years playing wait-and-see on a coach and a roster approach that were obviously not working

Case in point:

https://x.com/DownGoesBrown/status/1781877578313207859

Even if they fire Keefe in this offseason that’s a lot of damage done

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Honestly, it's too late. Their core players are in their late 20s now and they're utterly capped out. They needed to shitcan Keefe at least 3 years ago and make some serious roster changes but the organization just sat endlessly on its hands.

This is why I hated the Dubas hire for the Penguins, he is :tif:: the GM and that was the last thing in hell the Penguins needed.

It’s really funny and you love to see it happen to first Toronto (just for lols I don’t have a grudge against Toronto) and now Pittsburgh (gently caress Pittsburgh Hextall was a sleeper agent).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"a well-earned reputation for getting better as the playoffs go on"

They've won one second round game in 19 years. Most of their first round losses end on 2-3 consecutive losses.

What are they getting better at, golfing?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Leafs problem is they can't move the puck from the back end cause they keep getting big guys that hit and play hard vs guys that are actually good at doing things that matter.

Every single time I watch them come playoffs they can't move the puck or counter attack and get bogged down at centre ice cause their back end can't skate or pass

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s really funny and you love to see it happen to first Toronto (just for lols I don’t have a grudge against Toronto) and now Pittsburgh (gently caress Pittsburgh Hextall was a sleeper agent).

I am annoyed about Dubas but Hextall and JR also considered Sullivan bulletproof and FSG apparently loves him as well despite him costing them millions of dollars by missing two years in a row where the Pens ought to have made it. So whatever I guess.

But to keep things topical and not talk overly much about my loser team I am curious if even beyond coaching the Leafs should consider doing one of those James Neal for Patric Hornqvist type deals. After this many years in a row of playoff failures maybe they need to change up the core mix of that team a little bit. Florida obviously hit a home run recently with Huberdeau/Tkachuk. Toronto might need to get ballsy like that. Of course I just looked on Capfriendly and Marner and Nylander both have NMC so yeah I dunno. I guess it is fire the coach and hope for the best.

Toronto could still come back in this series too. Boston is good but they're not a juggernaut. Their center depth is trash. They're not some insurmountable obstacle.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Any team getting good goaltending is an insurmountable obstacle for the Leafs.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Powershift posted:

"a well-earned reputation for getting better as the playoffs go on"

They've won one second round game in 19 years. Most of their first round losses end on 2-3 consecutive losses.

What are they getting better at, golfing?

Seriously does nobody understand sarcasm anymore

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

Seriously does nobody understand sarcasm anymore

No.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

hockey.jpg:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Looks like doubles figure skating.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i feel like this is a quiz asking you which guy got a penalty

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Looks like doubles figure skating.

Yeah they leaned forward on the landing and you have to think that's gonna cost them the gold, Johnny

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Rempe has scored a playoff goal.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Jack's Flow posted:

To completely shut out fans who want to travel and support their team on the road seems wild. Is that considered normal for NHL games?

I totally understand needing to do something when the price of tickets plus a flight in one place may be cheaper than just the ticket in the home venue for a team.

But this Nashville one seems super aggressive. Because of the complete stranglehold Ticketmaster has now on everything it's possible to completely lock this poo poo down in ways that feel like it wrecks potential types of fun.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

T.C. posted:

I totally understand needing to do something when the price of tickets plus a flight in one place may be cheaper than just the ticket in the home venue for a team.

But this Nashville one seems super aggressive. Because of the complete stranglehold Ticketmaster has now on everything it's possible to completely lock this poo poo down in ways that feel like it wrecks potential types of fun.

I definitely understand it, especially for an expansion team. Not that Nashville is anymore, but I was one of the assholes that went and saw Rangers-Thrashers the one time the Thrashers made the playoffs. Felt kinda bad a little bit. There were SO many Ranger fans, and it was the first time Thrashers fans could have had a chance to experience a true home playoff game, which is one of the funnest things to do. I went to Nashville's first ever home playoff game in 03-04, they beat the Wings 3-1, and it was maybe the loudest arena I've ever been in. I'd rather people go to their own playoff games. Except when it's in NJ/Long Island. Then it's extremely funny

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Just another day in Toronto

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WeaponX posted:

Matt Rempe has scored a playoff goal.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
My dad's old DVR is becoming obsolete. Is there a site or somewhere that I can download or purchase old games, specifically the Winter Classics for the last five years or so?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

My dad's old DVR is becoming obsolete. Is there a site or somewhere that I can download or purchase old games, specifically the Winter Classics for the last five years or so?

I don't know if specifically the last 5 winter classics are on there but there is a pleasant surprising number of full old games on Youtube, which like any Youtube videos are downloadable with the right software.

Sadly The Series That Tore SAS Apart is not there except for game 7

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know if specifically the last 5 winter classics are on there but there is a pleasant surprising number of full old games on Youtube, which like any Youtube videos are downloadable with the right software.

Sadly The Series That Tore SAS Apart is not there except for game 7

I've noticed the old games, and I'm gonna be hunting for some of these.

Old random games are fantastic.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

AsInHowe posted:

I've noticed the old games, and I'm gonna be hunting for some of these.

Old random games are fantastic.

It was fun during the covid shutdown when they started airing random games from the 90s that you had no idea who won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Well the Capitals already eliminated the Flyers and Penguins. No shame in losing in Round 3.

But seriously as I mentioned earlier it's best that their young players (and coaches) get playoff experience more than anything. None of their young players are great but they have some middle six dudes in there that hopefully they'll be able to rely on in the future so having them get a taste now is a good thing.

The Caps vets are cooked, including Ovie sadly. Not sure exactly how they return to a contender without tanking eventually but as long as they continue to strategically sell I don't really know what else they can do until Ovechkin retires.