Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Marsupial Ape posted:

Huh. Could Laois pass the Voight-Kampff test?

VK: "You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. It's crawling toward you."
Laios: "I reach down and flip it over!!"
VK: "Well yes b~"
Laios: "SOUP! SOUP! SOUP! SOUP!"
Senshi (via speakerphone) "SOUP! SOUP! SOUP! SOUP!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Huh. Could Laois pass the Voight-Kampff test?

Of course, my boy may be autistic but he definitely shows empathy!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

VK: "You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. It's crawling toward you."

This.

Now, Kabru, on the other hand. He'd totally flip out once you asked him to give a few words about his mother.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Laios would go on to describe six different tortoise like monsters and how each one tastes slightly different.

The testers would conclude that no one would be insane enough to program a robot that acted this way.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
laios would steal sips of the water of life and marcille would grow increasingly concerned about how blue laios' eyes are getting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Marcille check this out, I make a suit out of all these sandtrout!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I wanna eat that giant worm man.

(Or his parasites)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

"Ancient civilizations?"

She nodded.

"We have two chief survivors of those ancient times: the dwarves and the elves. The dwarves so we think, emphasize almost pure mathematics. The elves perform another function."

Kabru: "Politics."

"Kull wahad!"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

DrSunshine posted:

Of course, my boy may be autistic but he definitely shows empathy!

This.

Now, Kabru, on the other hand. He'd totally flip out once you asked him to give a few words about his mother.

I just wanted the tortoise soup “yes, and” replies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I think Kabru would ask about Holden's mother, and by the end of the test he'd be patting the guy on the back and reassuring Holden that he's probably human, but it would probably be for the best if he didn't talk about any of this until Kabru could clear it with Bryant.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Kabru looks at you with those loving blue as hell eyes.

edit:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Arc Hammer posted:

He's not psycho or cynical. He's socio- plus any suffix we think is appropriate.

Sociophile.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/SarahKTranslate/status/1781775990144033277?t=9aSVvbhJ4bFpm5X_FGxWKA&s=19

Ya know that's a good point. Kensuke could have been called Bring Stabbity or something. It's fine as-is but Slashy McSword Mollusk would be a good name.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
all according to Kensuke

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

all according to Kensuke

(Kensuke means sword)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Swordplay

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm not an expert but I feel like Kensuke is name-y enough that Laios can shout it dramatically without completely derailing the scene, in a way that Swordbert is not.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

One thing to remember is all names are decided by the rights holder and their reasoning aren't always clear. There's been plenty of times where localization wanted to translate a pun and the rights holder wanted it kept in Japanese.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'd name it callie

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/SarahKTranslate/status/1781775990144033277?t=9aSVvbhJ4bFpm5X_FGxWKA&s=19

Ya know that's a good point. Kensuke could have been called Bring Stabbity or something. It's fine as-is but Slashy McSword Mollusk would be a good name.

He calls it Kensuke because Shuro taught him a few eastern words (regrettably).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And yet he still calls him Shuro.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they all call him Shuro

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Feel like this logic gets weird when you account for like, Senshi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alan Smithee posted:

they all call him Shuro

Frickin' Northerners, man.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

One thing to remember is all names are decided by the rights holder and their reasoning aren't always clear. There's been plenty of times where localization wanted to translate a pun and the rights holder wanted it kept in Japanese.

The rights holders have the final say, but most of the time they don't care and will make the translators decide on their own. Like, even asking the original creator what X name was supposed to be in English involves going through at least 3 middlemen, each of whom will regard the question as a huge waste of everyone's time. For the names to be forced, either the original creator has to make a fuss on their own (which they usually won't because they're just a little guy who doesn't want to rock the boat) or there's some big push for merch that they want consistent for branding reasons.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lazy Fair posted:

Some interesting lines in this episode: Kabru initially asks Laios how eating the orcs tasted, while he's recounting his monster eating adventures. This suggests that he views orcs as monsters, no different from slimes or living armor.

Well yes and no. Even though there is obvious racism in the way society (and Kabru) considers intelligent races who are not sufficiently humanoid "monsters", there still seem to exist a pretty clear distinction between them and more animal-like monsters like slimes or basilisks, considering the way Chilchuck freaked out over the mere idea of eating a fishman. IMHO this was less Kabru not distinguishing between a slime and an orc and more him trying to bait Laios into cheerfully admitting to basically cannibalism.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes.

But think of it.

Roast orc piglet.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Kabru's initial introduction set him up as very rigid and unyielding in his belief of what needs to be done with the dungeon, he has a specific goal and anyone standing in the way is an obstacle. Whereas our main group has been all about learning to adapt to the ways of the dungeon, it's arguably a major theme. So Kabru is, if not actively a villain, certainly a foil.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

haypliss posted:

Feel like this logic gets weird when you account for like, Senshi.

In universe Senshi is a dwarven word that means seeker, so he's good

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
if you're gonna start changing names of characters outside of mistranslations (farlyn/falin, laios/laius, etc) then whats stopping people from just naming poo poo whatever they like? his name is kensuke :colbert:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The problem with Kensuke is that it completely loses its association with swords in English.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
If you want to get super grognardy about it, the name doesn’t really refer to anything because the “ken” part is written in katakana.

You could just as easily call it Fisty or Healthbert or Ticketike or Tedonthaniel or any of the other million words in Japanese pronounced “ken”.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yes.

But think of it.

Roast orc piglet.

What happens in Carthage stays in Carthage.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yes.

But think of it.

Roast orc piglet.

In the Meshiverse, A Modest Proposal hits a little different.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

If you want to get super grognardy about it, the name doesn’t really refer to anything because the “ken” part is written in katakana.

You could just as easily call it Fisty or Healthbert or Ticketike or Tedonthaniel or any of the other million words in Japanese pronounced “ken”.

If you're dumb, sure.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Clarste posted:

The problem with Kensuke is that it completely loses its association with swords in English.

essentially boils down to translating "Nyako" to "Meowy" in Chainsaw Man

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Speaking of Ryoko Kui: what do you think her next work will be?

I'm kind of hoping she does something in the Dungeon Meshi world, but following a new set of characters. Like, there still feels like there's stuff to explore there.

But if she does a whole new thing in a whole new world that would be fun too.

Furry Smut.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She’s keeping up with a fine mangaka tradition then

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Furry Smut.

Hey, it was good enough for Osamu Tezuka

At least, unlike Tezuka, it doesn't involve vore this time (perhaps ironically, given the subject)

Amumin
Dec 21, 2018

Asterite34 posted:

Hey, it was good enough for Osamu Tezuka

At least, unlike Tezuka, it doesn't involve vore this time (perhaps ironically, given the subject)

Well, there is this one.

Also that one drawing of bondage involving a baguette.

Amumin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Arist posted:

I love Tade