Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kinda weird for them to be treated as a quintessential part of the American experience, since they're pretty regional.

I know you can get frozen ones, I've never tried them though.

As someone who lived in St. Louis and now Columbus, it's never occurred to me to think White Castle was anything less than ubiquitious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kinda weird for them to be treated as a quintessential part of the American experience, since they're pretty regional.

Quintessential America's, conceptually, kind of an "America before the '60s" thing, and that Minneapolis to New York via Chicago dogleg gets you what's at least drat close to "most Americans may not have one but did eat there when they were down in the city" even before allowing for older competitors or a decline as modern, car-centric fast food sprang up. Big gaps from that perspective are Pittsburgh and Boston.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
From California, when Harold and Kumar came out I had no idea white castle was a real place. Looked fake and never heard of it before

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Compare it to In-N-Out and there's not much of a contest, really.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

SlothfulCobra posted:

They should go for Pennsylvania to link up New York to their midwestern core.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
It is more of a t-sound in Arabic which I think the original Ottomans would have been more into. الدولة لعتمانية

It is the Turks into their s-sound.

The original name the first Osman had was Uthman, like the Caliph of 600 years before.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 14, 2024

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/PDX_Katten/status/1780180341472264661

lol the games gonna come back

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

it deserves to. it was unjustly and prematurely laid to rest

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

quote:

- Upped the maximum number of tags (countries) from 2048 to 8192

Also:

quote:

I also have to stress that this is not a revival of Imperator: Rome! Do not expect new content or patches going forward.

Maybe I should reinstall this, though... What's the flavor nose everyone's been playing with again?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I just wish they'd come out of beta with these patches because it creates some awkwardness.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OddObserver posted:

Also:

Maybe I should reinstall this, though... What's the flavor nose everyone's been playing with again?
I come to bury Imperator, not to praise it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

OddObserver posted:

Invictus is the vanilla+ mod that everyone defaults to. Lots of balance changes and content additions, no big new mechanics.

There are more featureful forks of it, though I'm fairly sceptical of them. The most compelling might be, uh, Terra Indomita? Which is an all-Eurasia map extension

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I've tried many vanilla+ mods for Paradox games and they often left me unsatisfied. Invictus is the best one I saw. I can complain a little about the quality and consistence of art, this is the only thing that will let you know it's not an official product. It mostly does small balance fixes and adds a lot of regional content. A lot of it is very reaching and based on fantasies I think, but it does feel like historical Anbennar, if you know what I mean. Imperator missions system works wonderfully for this kind of guided gameplay. You can try playing as basically any country you know anything about and you'll get some decent writing and unique gameplay objectives and style.

Terra Indomita, on the other hand, is your usual kitchensink mod. The creators never said no to any idea. It's not just map expansion but a mechanical expansion too, like it has skill trees for characters a la CK3. It's too much for me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a CK2 mod that expands on the economic side of the game? I've found that I'm most comfortable in these games doing the whole "garden tending" thing where I'm just building things and pretending I'm making things better for the people in my little corner of the world.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Speaking of Imperator mods, mapgoons is starting up an Imperator game soonish using the beta patch and the Bronze Age Reborn mod. We did a test game and it seemed pretty stable and fun. No date or time is decided yet, but come to the discord to discuss it if you're interested: https://discord.gg/AkWcJHa8

eta a link to the mod, for anyone else interested in playing it- https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2448788091

quote:

Major Mod Features:
- A massively detailed map centered on the Near East which at present holds 7000 provinces!
- Expanded technology system with new civilization advancements
- Reworked Buildings
- Expanded trade goods (including tin/lapis global trade mechanics)
- Drought mechanic
- Lots of Formables around the world (minimum 1 per tag)
- Custom units
- Custom decisions
- Custom missions
- Custom military traditions
- Reworked government tiers
- Scripted Mesopotamian revolt (to win take some land from the other side and you get the scripted peace deal)
- 3 custom mission trees (1 for Waset, 1 for Babylon and 1 for any Nomarch who wants to form a new dynasty)
- A lot of tweaks

Orbs fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 18, 2024

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Given the various announcements this week I am guessing that someone managed to convince the money guys at Paradox that pushing out games / DLC way too early isn't a great business strategy

Prison Architech 2 delayed 4 months

CS2 refunding the latest DLC and making it into a free download

V3 1.7 / SoI delayed 7 weeks

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 19, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Cities Skylines 2 situation is dumbfounding. I don't understand how it took them until several months after launch to figure out that the game's issues are too profound to quickly patch up. Based on their statement, it sounds like up until the DLC's launch they thought they could just fix up the biggest issues in a couple months and not sweat the rough launch, which is mind blowing to anyone who actually tried to play the game at launch. That was very obviously never going to work. Everyone was yelling at them that it wasn't going to work. They ignored the entire community and carried on anyway, and it turned out exactly like everyone said it would. It was such an obvious own-goal. I have to wonder how they thought it would turn out.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

incredibly funny that they did the same thing that sank the simcity franchise lmao

Well not quite as bad as that, but it's really funny to take the crown of an entire genre with one game then squander it the next

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
People in charge of big companies having no grip on reality??? Who could have guessed

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Now imagine if EU5 is actually a complete game at release...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agean90 posted:

incredibly funny that they did the same thing that sank the simcity franchise lmao

Well not quite as bad as that, but it's really funny to take the crown of an entire genre with one game then squander it the next

Simcity 2013 was incredibly bad, yeah, but the path from 1 to 2000 to 3000 to 4 was pretty good series of iterative (if not evolutionary) improvements.

Kris xK posted:

I think Paradox Tinto being farther away from the money people and presumably can do their thing without as much getting-hosed-with is a good step in this direction

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Simcity 2013 was incredibly bad, yeah, but the path from 1 to 2000 to 3000 to 4 was pretty good series of iterative (if not evolutionary) improvements.

I think Paradox Tinto being farther away from the money people and presumably can do their thing without as much getting-hosed-with is a good step in this direction
It's too far away for Paradox to control, and if they try to reign in Johan he'll just rebel.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Kris xK posted:

EU is paradox’s flagship property, so I hope the need for it to be good outweighs getting some trash out fast.

Hopefully they are feeling burned after the poo poo show that was cities skyline 2.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Is it just performance problems with CS2, or are there flaws with the gameplay too?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Nova69 posted:

Is it just performance problems with CS2, or are there flaws with the gameplay too?

Yes.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Very. Some of the most absurd (subsidizing a loss-making industry gave it its bonuses while also instead applying a negative tax rate to negative profits, for example) have been squashed, but the economic sim is still basically nonexistent, the demand bars are supposedly now working as intended but as intended is not showing actual demand, you still need approximately as many elementary schools as C because they're just considered the job of any sim aged below about 20, and traffic/transit is beholden to "fun" decisions like "merging lanes requires a 90° turn" or "actually service vehicles only is only a negative weight and the negative weight is only -5 or so, they will still drive there to save going around a block."

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Mandoric posted:

"actually service vehicles only is only a negative weight and the negative weight is only -5 or so, they will still drive there to save going around a block."

which is the most realistic part of the simulation

I really hope that they fix performance. My 6800XT runs at 100% in 1440p on high, producing only a handful of frames. It runs better on medium but looks like rear end and way worse than CS1 with mods. :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Demon_Corsair posted:

EU is paradox’s flagship property, so I hope the need for it to be good outweighs getting some trash out fast.

Hopefully they are feeling burned after the poo poo show that was cities skyline 2.

Do we have numbers for this? Are there many more EU players than CK and Stellaris and Victoria and HoI players?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Torrannor posted:

Do we have numbers for this? Are there many more EU players than CK and Stellaris and Victoria and HoI players?

At the moment on Steam more people play EU4 than Crusader King's 3 or Stellaris and of course Victoria 3. There aren't any recent expansions or patches so it's not a fluke. Many more people play HoI4 though. Also note that CK3 and Stellaris have console versions, and all of these games are available on platforms beyond Steam. I think they're all available on gamepass, or at least were available at some point.

Years ago Paradox were willing to rework a lot of HoI4 after they showed alpha version to people, even back then they knew they can't make any mistakes with their biggest games.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

Idr why Europeans started calling them ottomans. Maybe they invented the cushioned stool
I thought it was because of the story about how Timur, after capturing him in the battle of Ankara, made Bayezid the first be his foot stool (Bayezid on his hands and knees, Timur's feet on his back)? So then Europeans started calling cushioned footstools "Ottomans" because they needed something to help them feel better about the scary Muslims on their doorstep.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I still don't get the attraction of HoI4 - it's both too ahistorical to be enjoyable as a history simulator and really number-crunchy for an arcade/beer&pretzels game.

I guess if you're too normie to get into grog games and want to play a WW2 strategy simulator it works, but I find it a bit meh.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Torrannor posted:

In the sense that EU is their oldest franchise, they are correct. But in terms of numbers, at least on steam, HoI4 wins by a landslide

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Private Speech posted:

I still don't get the attraction of HoI4 - it's both too ahistorical to be enjoyable as a history simulator and really number-crunchy for an arcade/beer&pretzels game.

I guess if you're too normie to get into grog games and want to play a WW2 strategy simulator it works, but I find it a bit meh.

I never played HoI4 either, but it's notable that it's their only game where the playerbase keeps increasing, DLC after DLC. All the others reached a stable level and stayed there.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Cities Skylines 2 situation is dumbfounding. I don't understand how it took them until several months after launch to figure out that the game's issues are too profound to quickly patch up. Based on their statement, it sounds like up until the DLC's launch they thought they could just fix up the biggest issues in a couple months and not sweat the rough launch, which is mind blowing to anyone who actually tried to play the game at launch. That was very obviously never going to work. Everyone was yelling at them that it wasn't going to work. They ignored the entire community and carried on anyway, and it turned out exactly like everyone said it would. It was such an obvious own-goal. I have to wonder how they thought it would turn out.

It's really disappointing. In was looking forward to paying cs2 and at this point it seems it'll never be in a good state.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

people love WW2 (and the various mod settings) and people love clear decision trees that tell them what the historical divergence is instead of having to determine what’s happening. also they like moving troops being automated most of the time with room for manual override instead of pushing counters all day long across the whole globe. i hate hoi4 but its appeals are pretty obvious.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I thought it was because of the story about how Timur, after capturing him in the battle of Ankara, made Bayezid the first be his foot stool (Bayezid on his hands and knees, Timur's feet on his back)? So then Europeans started calling cushioned footstools "Ottomans" because they needed something to help them feel better about the scary Muslims on their doorstep.

Nah that's a nonsense tale, they're called Ottomans because that style of couch (low, armless and backless; traditionally placed along a wall) was imported from the empire. It also doesn't appear as a term until the 18th century.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it was Len Hafer from Three Moves Ahead that said that one of Imperator's issues was that there was just no way you could get people interested in most of the factions in the game except as targets to be conquered.

In that context, Hearts of Iron is perhaps the most directly relatable game, coupled with the most directly understandable goal - world conquest, or close to it.

That the Focus system also provides an easily understood narrative as well as gameplay progression is also a big plus.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Nah that's a nonsense tale, they're called Ottomans because that style of couch (low, armless and backless; traditionally placed along a wall) was imported from the empire. It also doesn't appear as a term until the 18th century.
Ah dang. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I should try HOI4 again. Someone recommended it to me once when I asked if anyone knew a war game where I could just plan things on an operational/logistics level, but my computer at the time kept making GBS threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I should try HOI4 again. Someone recommended it to me once when I asked if anyone knew a war game where I could just plan things on an operational/logistics level, but my computer at the time kept making GBS threads.

The logistics side is definitely my favourite part of HoI4. Researching tech, designing the equipment, putting it into production lines, designing the formation the equipment will be fielded by, then training the divisions and sending reinforcements to them in the field... the whole thing is interconnected, it's amazing. Have any other games tried to do something similar? 4x games like Master of Orion or Stellaris basically ignore equipment as a tangible resource you have to produce and stockpile