Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tankbuster posted:

I have been seeing a lot of "hes a better finn from star wars"

As a proponent of this point of view, I think that's the most fitting

I actually really like Maximus by the end. But he's a lesson in what toxic masculinity/ fascism does to an indoctrinated young man, and as soon as he got real influences like Lucy, and spending actual time with Thaddeus, that poo poo broke hard, because that's not who Max is. You see it in his horrified reaction to the BOS in Filly when he returns

He's the comfy boi who wants to eat Oysters and popcorn in a robe and slippers, and live a happy comfy life with Lucy

That's adorable :3:

BTW, Did the Brotherhood scare off the residents of Filly to take it over as a forward base, or "cleanse" them? Because uhhhh :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh they're probably very dead.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Steve Yun posted:

Question for the game players:

is the tv show the most central plot of the franchise?

Like others said there is no overall plot, but it has shared history with the games due to the location of the series being predominantly in California. Unless you want to know the history of Shady Sands start (F1), it's golden age (F2), and its decline (New Vegas), or more about the Enclave that Siggi comes from, everything else regarding the plot is self-contained to the TV show and doesn't require knowing the games' respective stories.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Honestly the plot of the show has a lot in common with the plot of Fallout 3, except it reverses the motivations of the kidnappers and the kidnapped father.

For the cleanup of vault 32, I'd accept even a handwave explanation of there being a hidden supply of Mr. Handys or something that can be called upon for situations such as that.

The big one that just doesn't track is Muldova or however you spell it and her actions. I feel like there was more to her storyline that got cut that causes what's left to not make much sense. How did she know the enclave had her cold fusion tech, and how was she able to communicate with the researcher guy there in the first place? It's already been brought up but her whole plan after the raid on Vault 33 was to just sit around and expect things to work out?. And then the Vault 4 cult devoted to her... again that really feels like something that got cut.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mylan posted:

For the cleanup of vault 32, I'd accept even a handwave explanation of there being a hidden supply of Mr. Handys or something that can be called upon for situations such as that.

Norm told the overseer nice cleanup, implying there was a cleanup effort that he wasn a part of

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
It seems like siggi wilzig was probably cultivated by moldaver at some point. Hes kind of like those Enclave people like gannon who have mostly given up on the project and are looking to split off. How she is supposed to communicate with wilzig isn't explained because that isn't the point of the story. For what it's worth Ma June seems to be running a smuggling operation in Filly and knows enough about how moldaver operates to let Lucy know that the only way she gets to moldaver is to get wilzig to her.

As for her plan. It was going to be probably getting wilzig, getting the chip from him and then extracting the launch codes from Overseer Hank. Its largely the same thing that happens with house needing his platinum chip but the courier is an enclave scientist instead of a game protagonist. Spending more resources securing wilzig may very well have been something she couldn't do.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Watched it, loved it, but I'm lucky in that my attachment to the Fallout games is "they were fun games" so I could just enjoy it without all the lore changes messing with me. I'm not throwing shade at those guys, I'm a life-long Warhams guy, so I know how it can feel and I'm sure if they made an Age of Sigmar TV show I'd be rending my garments on the Warhammer equivalent of No Mutants Allowed. Which, to think of it, could just also be called No Mutants Allowed.

Anyway, from this perspective I loved that the show felt like it truly got Fallout. It wasn't just "make some generic poo poo and name drop the license nouns" like so many adaptations are. It felt like the writers and show runners understood what makes Fallouts so much fun, and while there was a lot of fanservice even a casual like me could pick out, it wasn't annoying "eh, eh, get it? GET IT?" level poo poo, but fit the show. Small things like the hacking interface being exactly like it was in FO3.

It feels like a huge success. A lot of my friends had never played a single Fallout game, but loved it nonetheless, and many of them immediately started playing FO1 or New Vegas. Except for one poor fool who decided that FO76 was the best place to start, despite warnings. But he's also a guy who loves Ayn Rand so maybe he just enjoys poo poo.

Gonna be honest: I had absolutely no expectations for this, but after seeing the first season I'd place this right up there with TLOU and Arcane as the best video game adaptations of all time. And those three are streets ahead of 99% of the competition.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Which, to think of it, could just also be called No Mutants Allowed.

i appreciated this joke

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think the whole discussion on Vault-Tec dropping the bomb is to prove more that companies are corrupt but we also see how truly incompetent these companies are and they kinda just luck into fortune. I also think it's suppose to show that Vault-Tec thinks its more important and smarter than they actually are. it's always going to be ambiguous as to who fired first.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think the whole discussion on Vault-Tec dropping the bomb is to prove more that companies are corrupt but we also see how truly incompetent these companies are and they kinda just luck into fortune. I also think it's suppose to show that Vault-Tec thinks its more important and smarter than they actually are. it's always going to be ambiguous as to who fired first.

Yeah it's this^

And this is not new: throughout the Fallout games, Corporate America is portrayed as jingoist clueless morons who think they are Gods of Industry. House is the only portrayed as even competent, and even he has some bad ego blind spots that hinder his plans.

It's why I find the only people who really hate it so far are the chuds who think Fallout is "woke" now because they called out capitalism to be hilarious. Like what games were you playing exactly? Did you read any logs or dialogue?

Did you just go PEW PEW ZAP ZAP LAZER GO BRRR

Storyline wise it's for me as interesting as NV's was, which is really saying something considering it's held up as one of the best RPGs of all time

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1781714443799519632

heh. I like the cartoons they make.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I hope Amazon gets fully meta with their socials like they've done with The Boys, that's been fun.

Edit: also holy poo poo at the animated mutated boob lol

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Watched it, loved it, but I'm lucky in that my attachment to the Fallout games is "they were fun games" so I could just enjoy it without all the lore changes messing with me. I'm not throwing shade at those guys, I'm a life-long Warhams guy, so I know how it can feel and I'm sure if they made an Age of Sigmar TV show I'd be rending my garments on the Warhammer equivalent of No Mutants Allowed. Which, to think of it, could just also be called No Mutants Allowed.

Anyway, from this perspective I loved that the show felt like it truly got Fallout. It wasn't just "make some generic poo poo and name drop the license nouns" like so many adaptations are. It felt like the writers and show runners understood what makes Fallouts so much fun, and while there was a lot of fanservice even a casual like me could pick out, it wasn't annoying "eh, eh, get it? GET IT?" level poo poo, but fit the show. Small things like the hacking interface being exactly like it was in FO3.

It feels like a huge success. A lot of my friends had never played a single Fallout game, but loved it nonetheless, and many of them immediately started playing FO1 or New Vegas. Except for one poor fool who decided that FO76 was the best place to start, despite warnings. But he's also a guy who loves Ayn Rand so maybe he just enjoys poo poo.

Gonna be honest: I had absolutely no expectations for this, but after seeing the first season I'd place this right up there with TLOU and Arcane as the best video game adaptations of all time. And those three are streets ahead of 99% of the competition.

Yeah I haven't seen Arcane but I think this is the most successful game adaptation I've seen. By that I mean it isn't an adaptation of mostly pre-existing cutscenes and setpieces (Last of Us), or a loose translation that features lots of references but doesn't really feel like the games at all (Mario, most other stuff).

This represents the setting and gameplay fairly well while also being its own thing, and presenting a new story that isn't perfect but doesn't have me saying "this isn't Fallout!" And it also seems to have appeal to normies.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 21, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You should watch Arcane.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So moldaver had a team of fully feral raiders who are 100% uncivilizable but also is leading the very much organized and rule governed remnants of the NCR. Also how did so many of the raiders get captured after the vault raid, they left the remaining vault dwellers from a position of power, why did they just abandon like 30 of them?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

So moldaver had a team of fully feral raiders who are 100% uncivilizable but also is leading the very much organized and rule governed remnants of the NCR. Also how did so many of the raiders get captured after the vault raid, they left the remaining vault dwellers from a position of power, why did they just abandon like 30 of them?

Moldaver is just another raider lord

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1781800563392631288?t=R5ip_O8nHGtb9gzYtAHfHg&s=19

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Bip Roberts posted:

The ones that weren't killed were hit with tranquilizer darts.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bip Roberts posted:

she's using them to distance herself/ the NCR from what is most likely an atrocity. She doesn't really care if Lucy and the Vault dies, because she's mission focused first: Get that power source working for the NCR.

She's not the first person in the lore of Fallout to use Raiders this way: Benny used the Khans and then didn't give a gently caress what happened to them after.

She's not a Raiderlord per say, but she's extremely cold and pragmatic when it comes to the mission, and nothing else matters. She's still the antagonist, even if she has sympathetic reasons she did heinous poo poo. She also asked for a man to spy on his wife, kept her ghoulified decaying lover alive for God knows how long after she turned Feral..
She's also not right in the head, but having your whole world blown up in nuclear hellfire AGAIN probably does some things to you.

But that's Fallout writing in general

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 21, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tankbuster posted:

I have been seeing a lot of "hes a better finn from star wars"

Hopefully somebody else will never take him aside and point out how child soldiers are bad.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Bip Roberts posted:

The raiders weren't killed because they were uncivilizable, they were killed because they knew about vault 32 and it's fate. The general consensus as represented by the two co-overseers below betty was to rehabilitate the raiders to bolster vault population. Moldaver was doing a smash and grab. Despite the chaotic mess, the vault dwellers were eventually going to win.

Dawgstar posted:

Hopefully somebody else will never take him aside and point out how child soldiers are bad.

Wait did that happen? IDK didn't watch much star wars.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I sort of lost track of the Fallout game story after whichever game was the first first-person one (fallout 3?), but I seem to remember at one point the player gets to nuke an entire town.

Was that essentially the same event that Paul Atreides' character did with Shady Sands, implying that he was the main character in the game, or am I majorly just dreaming up things and making connections with loose strands of poorly remembered headcanon?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I sort of lost track of the Fallout game story after whichever game was the first first-person one (fallout 3?), but I seem to remember at one point the player gets to nuke an entire town.

Was that essentially the same event that Paul Atreides' character did with Shady Sands, implying that he was the main character in the game, or am I majorly just dreaming up things and making connections with loose strands of poorly remembered headcanon?

That was Megaton.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No, you remembered right. He got a lot of evil karma points for that. Its really funny that half the critiques were "drat, why can't we do nuanced evil in bethesda fallout games" and the show does it again with it getting praise for a cool S8 reveal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say there's a world of difference between the way Megaton was handled in Fallout 3 and the way bombs are handled in the TV show.

https://twitter.com/yorokovu0721/status/1782037634157826124?t=bj8oVbobsHcz3rxTVnbtTA&s=19

Japanese posters go hard as gently caress

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 21, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd say there's a world of difference between the way Megaton was handled in Fallout 3 and the way bombs are handled in the TV show.

https://twitter.com/yorokovu0721/status/1782037634157826124?t=bj8oVbobsHcz3rxTVnbtTA&s=19

Japanese posters go hard as gently caress

In the show its part of the narrative arc of a single story. In the game it is something you can do on the side for quick money. 4 at least rubs it in your face by forcing you to become a slave catcher.

Also Poster is really really cool

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Oops, wrong thread

Robobot fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 21, 2024

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

she's using them to distance herself/ the NCR from what is most likely an atrocity. She doesn't really care if Lucy and the Vault dies, because she's mission focused first: Get that power source working for the NCR.

She's not the first person in the lore of Fallout to use Raiders this way: Benny used the Khans and then didn't give a gently caress what happened to them after.

She's not a Raiderlord per say, but she's extremely cold and pragmatic when it comes to the mission, and nothing else matters. She's still the antagonist, even if she has sympathetic reasons she did heinous poo poo. She also asked for a man to spy on his wife, kept her ghoulified decaying lover alive for God knows how long after she turned Feral..
She's also not right in the head, but having your whole world blown up in nuclear hellfire AGAIN probably does some things to you.

But that's Fallout writing in general

It's not even the first time that NCR used raiders against a vault. In Fallout 2, NCR secretly hired raiders using a mob boss as the go-between, to raid Vault City and convince them that they'd be safer as part of the NCR

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tankbuster posted:

In the show its part of the narrative arc of a single story. In the game it is something you can do on the side for quick money. 4 at least rubs it in your face by forcing you to become a slave catcher.

Imagine if the show took the Fallout 3 route.

Dad: "I can't believe that you would use nuclear bombs on other people! You're still my son and I love you but I'm so disappointed in you." and then the story continues on.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

Imagine if the show took the Fallout 3 route.

Dad: "I can't believe that you would use nuclear bombs on other people! You're still my son and I love you but I'm so disappointed in you." and then the story continues on.
There's no gameplay of lucy scrapping a settlement to powerlevel instead of finding her dad. 😡

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tankbuster posted:

There's no gameplay of lucy scrapping a settlement to powerlevel instead of finding her dad. 😡

There should be. :colbert: After 8 hours she really should have upgraded from a 10mm pistol.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
she spent all her adhesive upgrading the receiver.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

esquilax posted:

It's not even the first time that NCR used raiders against a vault. In Fallout 2, NCR secretly hired raiders using a mob boss as the go-between, to raid Vault City and convince them that they'd be safer as part of the NCR

Really? I don't remember that at all, I really need to go back and play Falllout 1&2 sometime, it's been an age.

Arc Hammer posted:

There should be. :colbert: After 8 hours she really should have upgraded from a 10mm pistol.

Well technically she did, she went from tranq. gun to the 10mm pistol (and it's the classic revolver one at that). :v:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 21, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Issaries posted:

Not really.

All the games are separate stories, that take place decades apart.
there's no central plot within series, except what happened in past.

TV Series is continuation of that. a New story happening after the games that expands the lore.

That’s what I mean though

we get to see the people who planned everything, the war, the vault experiments, that caused the entire world to be the way it is

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tankbuster posted:

No, you remembered right. He got a lot of evil karma points for that. Its really funny that half the critiques were "drat, why can't we do nuanced evil in bethesda fallout games" and the show does it again with it getting praise for a cool S8 reveal.

See, but it's for a goal here though, not "I'M ACTUALLY DOING IT FOR THE LOLZ" of Fallout 3.

Hank is a corpo abusive rear end in a top hat and he's motivated by being an rear end in a top hat and a petty douchbag who sees surface people as beneath him, how can his wife choose them over him? Also these savages think they remade civilization?! Without HIM??!!

Tenpenny and Burke are literally Kekeuing evilly to themselves, and want to blow up a town for nothing stated other than "It's ugly" and "LULZ". We don't even know what their inner workings are at all.

Fallout 3 in general has this issue with Evil. Why would you want to blow up Megaton? Why would you want to help Eden's plan to purge everyone including you (what the gently caress even WAS Eden's plan anyway?!)? Why would Autumn go along with this? Why help Paradise Falls bring in slaves? Why feed teenagers to Super Mutants in Big Town? Or Kill Harold? Or the crazy Doctor who traps everyone in Tranquility Lane because he's loving AM I guess.

For the LULZ I guess? The Pit and Point Lookout did a better job to remedy this issue by having some loving motivated actions and nuance, but gently caress me was vanilla/ Broken Steel F3 complete nonsense in terms of character motivation.

They (Tenpenny Tower) could have been real interesting class commentary if they had motivated reasons for doing so.

When House or Caesar or the NCR ask you to do heinous poo poo, they at least have motivations behind their dickishness, and an actual tangible reward/ relationship/ goal in mind for you to go along with it.

House and Caesar will make you their right hand, the NCR will make you a hero and set you up for life.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 21, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfht8k4gaUw

Lol I wouldn't want to doze off, wake up and see that staring back at me.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 21, 2024

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Steve Yun posted:

That’s what I mean though

we get to see the people who planned everything, the war, the vault experiments, that caused the entire world to be the way it is

That's just the games premise.
Games stories aren't focused on that, because they would make a boring cut scene.
That's not a problem with a tv-series. It can do
extended views on the past and expand on the past knowledge.
We knew that Vault-tek and other corps were bad and experimenting on people. Also USA and Chicommies were bad too.
the Show shows us how the corps collaborate behind everyones back.
How anticommunist witch hunts happened and so on.

None of that is central to actual Fallout stories.
the World ended, but game stories is about how to find a water chip / my dad / my child / get revenge in a strange nuclear wasteland

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

TulliusCicero posted:

See, but it's for a goal here though, not "I'M ACTUALLY DOING IT FOR THE LOLZ" of Fallout 3.

At least the Institute in 4 lets you be a comprador if you do heinous poo poo. You blow up megaton because it gets you a snazzy pad. Eden's plan is to kill all the subhumans squatting in DC. Autumn puts two and two together and realises thats stupid and so walks away. A lot of the talk for nuance wrt caesar doesn't work because he has brainrot and his faction is slavers who spell RETVRN.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Hank is a corpo abusive rear end in a top hat and he's motivated by being an rear end in a top hat and a petty douchbag who sees surface people as beneath him, how can his wife choose them over him? Also these savages think they remade civilization?! Without HIM??!!

Tenpenny and Burke are literally Kekeuing evilly to themselves, and want to blow up a town for nothing stated other than "It's ugly" and "LULZ". We don't even know what their inner workings are at all.

Fallout 3 in general has this issue with Evil. Why would you want to blow up Megaton? Why would you want to help Eden's plan to purge everyone including you (what the gently caress even WAS Eden's plan anyway?!)? Why would Autumn go along with this? Why help Paradise Falls bring in slaves? Why feed teenagers to Super Mutants in Big Town? Or Kill Harold? Or the crazy Doctor who traps everyone in Tranquility Lane because he's loving AM I guess.

For the LULZ I guess? The Pit and Point Lookout did a better job to remedy this issue by having some loving motivated actions and nuance, but gently caress me was vanilla/ Broken Steel F3 complete nonsense in terms of character motivation.

They (Tenpenny Tower) could have been real interesting class commentary if they had motivated reasons for doing so.

When House or Caesar or the NCR ask you to do heinous poo poo, they at least have motivations behind their dickishness, and an actual tangible reward/ relationship/ goal in mind for you to go along with it.

House and Caesar will make you their right hand, the NCR will make you a hero and set you up for life.

FO3 was pretty bad about motivations, but I thought President Eden's plan was fairly clear. Kill two birds with one stone - establish a source of water that's perfectly healthy (for his own people) while also eliminating the various mutated creatures that presumably drink water to survive - super mutants, deathclaws, etc. A bonus for the Enclave if it also kills much of the regular human population, save those born and raised without exposure to radiation. Whole lot easier for the Enclave to rebuild if there's nobody left to fight them. Eden may genuinely not have been aware that the water would be toxic to the PC, if the Enclave didn't know the truth about the PC's heritage/birth.

The Tenpenny Tower bit I think was worse in every way, to the point where it can only have been intentional. iirc, if you convince the residents of the tower to let ghouls in because they aren't feral and they can coexist peacefully, the ghouls subsequently murder the original residents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arc Light posted:

FO3 was pretty bad about motivations, but I thought President Eden's plan was fairly clear. Kill two birds with one stone - establish a source of water that's perfectly healthy (for his own people) while also eliminating the various mutated creatures that presumably drink water to survive - super mutants, deathclaws, etc. A bonus for the Enclave if it also kills much of the regular human population, save those born and raised without exposure to radiation. Whole lot easier for the Enclave to rebuild if there's nobody left to fight them. Eden may genuinely not have been aware that the water would be toxic to the PC, if the Enclave didn't know the truth about the PC's heritage/birth.

The Tenpenny Tower bit I think was worse in every way, to the point where it can only have been intentional. iirc, if you convince the residents of the tower to let ghouls in because they aren't feral and they can coexist peacefully, the ghouls subsequently murder the original residents

you can make the ghouls and people coexist by killing the non feral ghoul before leaving.