Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

all this hate started when he started supporting Turkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
how much money have we shipped to ukraine now since the start of the war

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

a lot of it has and will just stay in America

quote:

Of the nearly $61 billion for Ukraine expected to get through Congress, approximately $48 billion would go to the Pentagon to finance arming Ukraine, replenish weapons, and pay for military operations in Europe.

The bill says $23.2 billion for the military to replenish stocks of weapons and equipment provided to Ukraine. Another $13.8 billion would go toward the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative for the Pentagon to purchase new weapons for Ukraine.

And $11.3 billion would finance intensified troops operations in Europe.

The legislation reauthorizes the Pentagon to send up to $7.8 billion worth of existing weapons from military inventories to Ukraine, which would then be replaced by the added funding in the package.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/thehill/status/1782075841020571813

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Willa Rogers posted:

burning man:

Only real error is the use of verb tense, should be in past tense.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

My daughter is watching this Vivo movie about a Cuban monkey voiced by LMM, and I want to :suicide:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

uniparty having it rough lately

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

not entirely ahistorical, but definitely putting a gloss on the reality. Hamilton was an infamously indiscriminate ladies man. Martha Washington named a feral tomcat after him not as a cute mark of affection, but more as a 'Jesus Christ could you stop trying to gently caress everything that moves.'

the play later on has, as Hamilton's downfall, the one time he cheats on his wife and gets caught. reality quietly adds: by someone in enough of a position of power to blackmail him into silence for the crime of loving his wife.

at one point during the Adams administration, there is a rumor prostitutes were called to the white house. John Adams takes the opportunity to drop a wisecrack. "This House employs Alexander Hamilton. I can safely assume any unattended young lady did not remain so for long."

alexander slamilton

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/thehill/status/1782095981611233710

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Doris Kearnpop Goodwin

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

the political issue is that the people in charge have complete and utter contempt for its citizens

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

:same:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

MTG FTW

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol does she think it's 2009 still

yeah toots the reason america sucks so much is because congress isn't united enough in dicking over poor people and minorities thanks lady

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Oh, I thought it was because the "good guy" party is literally endorsing a genocide in the middle east.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

she's one of those godawful american historians with a comfy ivy league sinecure that writes poo poo like "Legacy of Freedom: How our Founding Fathers Dared to Dream" or w/e

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

a shitload. it's definitely boomer catnip. one more chance to fight the reds when that has lost all meaning

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Doris Kearns Goodwin posted:

She said she is worried that a peaceful transition of power won’t happen after the next presidential election.

“I am concerned that it may not happen, but I somehow think if the majority of the people come out who have different values from that and they vote, voting is absolutely essential,” she said.

“And I just hope they feel that this election could turn on them, and the uncommitted people and the undecided people have to come out and vote, and we have to just take the results of the election. That doesn’t mean we know how it’s going to happen, but if the overwhelming majority vote, then somehow maybe it won’t be as close as we think it is going to be. And then we’ll have a clear-cut choice,” she added later.

Oh, never mind. You appear to be a vague supporter of said genocide.

Oh well. That's a cool shirt you're wearing I guess

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Oh, never mind. You appear to be a vague supporter of said genocide.

Oh well. That's a cool shirt you're wearing I guess

I'm confused about what she's even saying here. Is the idea that the hypothetical Trump coup will change their mind if he loses by enough votes? Like they'd only be willing to do the coup if it's a close election.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the libs are now trying to make a thing out of "moscow marge" which is funny since that guy's name is literally moskowitz.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Burning Man wrote out a grand conspiracy about a cryptocurrency-based NWO because he couldn't parse that everything we're seeing is little more than the natural consequence of assholes accumulating wealth with no regard for anything else. the boy needed more Marx.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

she's one of those godawful american historians with a comfy ivy league sinecure that writes poo poo like "Legacy of Freedom: How our Founding Fathers Dared to Dream" or w/e

she wrote "team of rivals" lol

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ex post facho posted:

a shitload. it's definitely boomer catnip. one more chance to fight the reds when that has lost all meaning

nah, xers are hornier for cold war redux than boomers bc xers didn't live thru it in realtime.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i'm just going from my own personal anecdata, my parents, who are nominally left but otherwise often fall into the trap of lib messaging around foreign policy

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I'm confused about what she's even saying here. Is the idea that the hypothetical Trump coup will change their mind if he loses by enough votes? Like they'd only be willing to do the coup if it's a close election.

It's because she's trying to make a political point while trying to be as politically neutral as humanly possible. It doesn't work, so what she's saying comes off as nebulous at best and like she's blowing a like a dozen dog whistles at worst.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't realize this play was quite this excessive with its praise of Alexander Hamilton

It's not enough that he's a heroic politician - all the women also want to gently caress him.

the entire second act is a slog through his romantic life cause you gotta wait 30 years for him to get shot.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

She’s Obama’s favourite historian fyi, and he made cabinet decisions based on Team of Rivals.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Willa Rogers posted:

nah, xers are hornier for cold war redux than boomers bc xers didn't live thru it in realtime.

It does seem like there’s a good portion of boomers at least (though definitely far from all) that remember the fear of nuclear Armageddon hanging over their heads and being drafted to die in vain for capitalism in futile lost wars. While Gen X only remembers the End of History, the inevitable triumph of capitalism over communism, and an all volunteer army they never have to actually join that wins all its wars easily and overnight.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

she wrote "team of rivals" lol

yeah she helped create the context into which obama could sell his plan to staff the gov with conservatives

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

the three biggest stand with Ukraine guys I know are:

a) a guy who is basically a real life version of disco Elysium’s “Sunday Friend.” So that one is a given
b) former marine air winger who always had a chip on his shoulder about not getting to reenlist. he became basically a nafo Reddit meme guy. that I can also understand - cheer for your favorite weapon systems, recapture the magic, you get to be an ‘expert’ in your little pond.
c) a guy who’s only other politics he’s cared about in his entire life have been about how Trump is evil and about representation in role playing games. mostly the latter. This one confounds me. Also the only one to make an explicit “neo nazis in Ukraine are fine” case while guys a and b stick to the “actually Azov is normal now” party line.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ex post facho posted:

i'm just going from my own personal anecdata, my parents, who are nominally left but otherwise often fall into the trap of lib messaging around foreign policy

if they've got msnbc brain then yah.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

from the latest nbc news survey.

bidenomics is having a hell of a time vs. lyin' eyes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he was a mentally ill man that thought the Simpsons was part of a bitcoin Ponzi scheme

i mean it is just not in the way he was thinking

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah she helped create the context into which obama could sell his plan to staff the gov with conservatives

That's a better way to put it than Obama being swayed by the book, since Finkelstein lays out a pretty convincing case that Obama is, to put it lightly, not much of a reader.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Some Guy TT posted:

i mean it is just not in the way he was thinking

it is in the way he was thinking

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

the entire second act is a slog through his romantic life cause you gotta wait 30 years for him to get shot.

they also skip the entire saga of how he sabotaged his political career under Adams, because it is impossible to tell the story of the Quasi-War without establishing Hamilton is 1. a bad person 2. a total loving moron

"nailed George Washington's half dead corpse to a horse to try to raise an army to declare war on France and invade Louisiana independent of presidential authorization" just doesn't really fit with the ~vibe~ of Musical Hamilton

Burr/Hamilton is a beautiful duel because it is two men who had their shot at the big-time, absolutely pissed it all away due to a mix of their personal flaws and inability to judge the moment, making one, last, pissy attempt to get one over on the other. quintessential americana.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

loquacius posted:

Lol that "the Dems are corrupt" is a "sinister conspiracy theory"

mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

loquacius posted:

Lol that "the Dems are corrupt" is a "sinister conspiracy theory"

Can you prove both parties are corrupt. Do you have video of Democrats looking into the camera and saying "thank you for this bribe"