Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Is Elon Musk's Starlink any good?

It's been a game changer for me, and I have no complaints other than it takes them a long time to do anything - like a basic order.

But, that said, I think location can matter. If you are in a location that may have a lot of other users on the same satellites, you might have slower speeds. But still, it blows away Hughesnet or DSL or 4G/5G (only because of data caps here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cerekk posted:

If you don't have any hardline-based options, Starlink is crazy good for what you pay compared to alternatives. Unlimited data, low latency, consistently 100-200 Mbps. I had it for a year and a half until I got a hardline-based option.

The second Starlink has a grasp on the market capitalism will happen and you'll pay through the nose for a poo poo product.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A coworker has the mobile starlink option. Since we're all work from home now, he's gearing up to spend life working in an RV with it. He's been taking it camping doing test runs and said it's been completely solid in the middle of nowhere to remote in and work.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Philthy posted:

A coworker has the mobile starlink option. Since we're all work from home now, he's gearing up to spend life working in an RV with it. He's been taking it camping doing test runs and said it's been completely solid in the middle of nowhere to remote in and work.

I know a woman doing the same thing, living the van life and working while doing it. She uses Planet Fitness around the country as parking spots/showers. Sweet van.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

why do people desire to be homeless

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

redshirt posted:

I know a woman doing the same thing, living the van life and working while doing it. She uses Planet Fitness around the country as parking spots/showers. Sweet van.

I had no idea you could do that with a PF membership. I'll have to see if he knows about that and pass it on.

pencilhands posted:

In this case, he has a nice house designed himself. Now he wants to spend life in state parks around the country, and maybe even go up into Canada or South America. He's nearing retirement, but he wont really need to retire if he can remote in every morning, see what's on the docket, get it done, or mark when the meetings are, etc.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 21, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Philthy posted:

I had no idea you could do that with a PF membership. I'll have to see if he knows about that and pass it on.

And then coffee shops for meetings. Or just the van. She's got a system.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The problem with StarLink is that it is wrecking astronomy, even for space-based satellites. lovely Internet sucks, but loving up an entire field of science sucks worse. Don't support Musk in doing so.

edit: I used to be an astronomer, and this issue took me from "passionate space enthusiast" to "we should not go to space, because if we do so right now, we will just loot it and fill it with trash".

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 21, 2024

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

pencilhands posted:

eh, if i had the means to build or buy a suitable van/bus/RV and a job that could be done fully remote the idea of living untethered has its appeals

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Wait, you actually want black text on a white background? Why?

Most of my phone posting is in a dark room by myself in the shame I should feel whenever posting on the Internet. I like having the screen really dark and then an off white/yellow text. I also read that it saves battery power on OLEDS.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

pencilhands posted:

When people are unhappy or unfulfilled they get a deep down "I've gotta get away from here" impulse. I know I'm going through another depressive episode when I start going for random drives to nowhere.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

The problem with StarLink is that it is wrecking astronomy, even for space-based satellites. lovely Internet sucks, but loving up an entire field of science sucks worse. Don't support Musk in doing so.

edit: I used to be an astronomer, and this issue took me from "passionate space enthusiast" to "we should not go to space, because if we do so right now, we will just loot it and fill it with trash".

I got some great news for you. They are going to mine and carve the poo poo out of the moon and eventually they are going to spell out their advertising in gigantic letters that you will see every full moon because gently caress nature. gently caress beauty. gently caress not constantly being promoted to or siphoned by rent seeking behaviour.

I wonder how that will eventually gently caress with our climate in ways we don't know from all the dust being thrown in the air and rocketed back to earth to make dumb poo poo like tiger penis clippers or American flag coins that say never forget and doubles as a channeled surface to do your cocaine in before finding the next misery to unleash upon the world.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Houle posted:

Most of my phone posting is in a dark room by myself in the shame I should feel whenever posting on the Internet. I like having the screen really dark and then an off white/yellow text. I also read that it saves battery power on OLEDS.

Same here, but I think OP was talking about the opposite.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
buy a paintball gun and a balaclava and paint the town's advertisements red

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

pencilhands posted:

Why do people desire not to afford a house :iiam:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

dreezy posted:

buy a paintball gun and a balaclava and paint the town's advertisements red

I forgot to pay for the subscription for the ink balls now that the paintball company was bought out by a venture capital so the trigger is locked until I buy more - not from an unauthorized retailer though. Wouldn't want to jam the gun.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This is my favorite IT nerd habit.

"This feature I used and liked was removed."

"WHO CARES WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT THAT?!"

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Time_pants posted:

This is my favorite IT nerd habit.

"This feature I used and liked was removed."

"WHO CARES WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT THAT?!"

This is literally the first time in my four decades of life that I've seen someone espouse a preference for white bg/black text. I am legit shocked and sincerely curious.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 21, 2024

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This is literally the first time in my four decades of life that I've seen someone espouse a preference for white bg/black text. I am legit shocked and sincerely curious.

Yeah, why would anyone have a preference for dark text on a lighter background, the style in which text has been presented since the invention of the written word. Truly bizarre.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I prefer a white background for word processing and print design from a “this emulates what you’re going to get from the printer” perspective, but otherwise, dark mode for me.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, why would anyone have a preference for dark text on a lighter background, the style in which text has been presented since the invention of the written word. Truly bizarre.

The written word changed a lot when we started aggresively backlighting the poo poo out of it, imo.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Anti-post

The awful app (android) supports imgr linking of images from the phone again:toot:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I also prefer this so long as the room I'm in is well lit. Dark mode is for night posting.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I have so many eye floaters that dark text on a white background is almost impossible to deal with. I end up seeing the poo poo in my eyes more than I do what I'm trying to read. :(

Yay for those sites which enforce light-mode somehow and overwrite Dark Reader, I didn't want your stupid articles anyway!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

computers, programs, and games of all sizes and types should be customizable to every need, without first having to satisfy market, corporate, or goon demand for justification. Customization options are often unaddressed or fringe accessibility options, and removing them or changing them without user consent is sucky behavior.

(dark mode user here)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

skooma512 posted:

I like my RTL-SDR. SDRs are very niche to begin with so you have to go find the builder and buy from them, and RTL uses Amazon warehouses in the US anyway.

That's exactly what I got. It's working but I have no idea how to operate it and no idea what I'm looking at! I got a random antenna claiming to be good for SDRs because their dipole antenna has been out of stock for quite some time.

It's neat though. :)

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Modal Auxiliary posted:

The written word changed a lot when we started aggresively backlighting the poo poo out of it, imo.

your opinions are retarded dogshit, btw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Houle posted:

I got some great news for you. They are going to mine and carve the poo poo out of the moon and eventually they are going to spell out their advertising in gigantic letters that you will see every full moon because gently caress nature. gently caress beauty. gently caress not constantly being promoted to or siphoned by rent seeking behaviour.

I wonder how that will eventually gently caress with our climate in ways we don't know from all the dust being thrown in the air and rocketed back to earth to make dumb poo poo like tiger penis clippers or American flag coins that say never forget and doubles as a channeled surface to do your cocaine in before finding the next misery to unleash upon the world.

Actually space mining is so ruinously expensive that the only way it will ever happen on a meaningful scale is if we develop some paradigm shifting scifi technology like teleportation or cheap fusion engines.

We recently mined 2.5 ounces of material from an asteroid for over 1 billion dollars.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

The Moon Monster posted:

Actually space mining is so ruinously expensive that the only way it will ever happen on a meaningful scale is if we develop some paradigm shifting scifi technology like teleportation or cheap fusion engines.

Just get the government to subsidize it by slashing useless expenses like the remainder of the social safety net and the infrastructure budget.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Wendigee posted:

Anti-post

The awful app (android) supports imgr linking of images from the phone again:toot:

gently caress yeah

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's exactly what I got. It's working but I have no idea how to operate it and no idea what I'm looking at! I got a random antenna claiming to be good for SDRs because their dipole antenna has been out of stock for quite some time.

It's neat though. :)

Check out the radio thread for all sorts of ideas on what you can do with it. What makes a good antenna for a radio depends on what you're trying to do with it, so there's not really a one size fits all. I just finished building an antenna for neutral hydrogen astronomy out of cookware, which ended up working pretty well.

https://burningjustice.net/diy/wokscope/timelapse_01.mp4

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

We recently mined 2.5 ounces of material from an asteroid for over 1 billion dollars.

Well, that's not fair. We weren't mining that material, we were sampling a far off asteroid for scientific purposes.

IF we were to mine an asteroid, it would be in near Earth or near Moon orbit (we'd bring it there), and we'd have an infrastructure built on it and around it.

The tech do that is all here right now. Just not the will power.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

redshirt posted:

Well, that's not fair. We weren't mining that material, we were sampling a far off asteroid for scientific purposes.

IF we were to mine an asteroid, it would be in near Earth or near Moon orbit (we'd bring it there), and we'd have an infrastructure built on it and around it.

The tech do that is all here right now. Just not the will power.

There are multiple steps here you make sound like fait accompli that would actually be among the most difficult and expensive engineering projects humanity has ever executed. Like, move an asteroid? How? Which asteroid? How much is that costing us? What's on the asteroid that we can't get here? How do we get it back to earth once we've mined it?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's a fairly small margin between putting an asteroid in orbit of earth and directly causing a mass extinction event.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

For people with certain types of vision problems, dark mode can actually make things more difficult to read.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

For people with certain types of vision problems, dark mode can actually make things more difficult to read.

Makes sense, somebody upthread mentioned floaters being an issue with dark mode too.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Houle posted:

the next misery to unleash upon the world.

Turn on your monitor

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Coxswain Balls posted:

Check out the radio thread for all sorts of ideas on what you can do with it. What makes a good antenna for a radio depends on what you're trying to do with it, so there's not really a one size fits all. I just finished building an antenna for neutral hydrogen astronomy out of cookware, which ended up working pretty well.

https://burningjustice.net/diy/wokscope/timelapse_01.mp4

Woah, that's awesome! I got my technician license in 2021 and I aced the test but only because I studied for just the test because that's what everyone said to do. I'd like to actually get into it now so I have a whole lot to learn. I just started reading the ARRL tech handbook again. This stuff is not as easy as I thought it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The antipathy some people have for non-dark mode is weird. Who cares. I guess some people have been hoodwinked into thinking dark mode is healthier?