Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I think the ADP tax is much less severe than a lot of people make it, and the "needed" level of agility is over emphasized.

Yes, you want to get points into ADP asap in order to get off the minimum agility floor. But even going to like 88 agility nearly doubles your iframes from the minimum (5 -> 9 if I remember right). Going from 88 to 92 gets you one more frame (10 total), and then getting to 96 and 99 each give one more. The 92 target is perfectly fine for the early game, you don't need to rush to 96 or 99 immediately.

Going to 92 is gonna be like 6-10 levels of ADP depending on the starting class, which is nothing, and certainly worth getting as soon as you can. You get a ton of souls just going through the Forest of Fallen Giants - the Pursuer alone is worth 17K, which is probably 10+ levels by itself at that point. There are more than enough levels there to both get a decent agility score, boost some health, and get stats to equip a good starting weapon. I think rushing for 99 agility immediately isn't worth it, that's another 9 or so levels of ADP. Easy enough, but you also need to be buying equipment, keys, weapon upgrades, spells, and more. I think 99 agility and beyond can wait until you have the other basics sorted.

Leaving Vigor at 20 is certainly a choice if you want to be a glass cannon, but the game throws insane numbers of levels at you compared to the others, I can't imagine not getting Vigor to the soft cap eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Rush Heide’s, first a suicide run for the binding ring. Next cheese the dragonrider, send fake miracle lady to Majula.

A nice bunch of souls to dump into ADP.

Then start murdering.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Also I think you can buy the knight gear from the armor guy in Majula.

I don't think that's same one but not sure. I was beating up those three knights that bum rush you with great swords in black armor.

Oh well you get a neat enough armor set after the boss. An actual cape!

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Oh, those guys are all over the Lost Bastille. Royal Swordsmen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

axolotl farmer posted:

Rush Heide’s, first a suicide run for the binding ring. Next cheese the dragonrider, send fake miracle lady to Majula.

Then start murdering.

Hell, why wait? You can kick miracle maid off the side of the tower at Heide and reload the zone to get all her loot.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Its a safe and legal thrill

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So I guess ever since hbomberguy made his DS2 video (and I guess even further back, Matthewmatosis made HIS DS2 video) there's been an endless circlejerk of weirdos pumping out Youtube content about how poo poo doo doo DS2 is or I guess now they've moved on to how Scholar specifically ruined everything. This channel does a bunch of :actually: ing in response to those claims. https://www.youtube.com/@Domo3000/videos

I wouldn't take everything they say at face value, but there are some interesting points of comparison. Like apparently Scholar made some tangible damage nerfs to several bosses that have seemingly gone unremarked until recently. Most notably, Ancient Dragon was made waaaaaay less brutal in Scholar.

Also of note, Scholar changed how aggressive groups of enemies are. In vanilla, six enemies will all try and crowd you and attempt to attack at once. In Scholar, enemy groups will do the honorable kung-fu thing and only attack a few at a time. They also cut the aggro range for Amana priestesses by 1/4th, for example.

In general Scholar still adds more enemies, but the encounters tend to work better for one reason or another. Granted, some of the comparisons are like shooting fish in a barrel because it turns out people still mad about hbomberguy and still mad about DS2 like to make poo poo up.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 19, 2024

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I'm mad at hbomberguy because while he was right about DS2 being good his video was so loving stupid that it feels like it was made by a plant

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's been forever I need to rewatch it. I don't remember it being perfect by any stretch either way. Matthewmatosis' video was also dumb and of course MauLer put out one of his trademark 10 hour long rebuttal videos that only even stupider people cite, so it's just this one long chain of people being weird about DS2.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'll give a much better, and much more correct, take on DS2 when I finish it. Whenever that'll be.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I went back and rewatched Hbomb's video and actually it's still pretty good. Still some dumb stuff in there but not as much as I feared.

Also completely unrelated to all of this beyond it coming up in Domo's vids, apparently Scholar made it so wearing the King's Ring makes all the statue soldiers stay asleep and I think that's pretty neat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

Then start murdering.

The souls you get from the dragon rider are exactly enough to buy a branch of yore from Malentia, which is also exactly enough for her to give you the silver serpent ring +1.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I haven't played vanilla DS2 since Scholar came out so I don't even remember what any of the changes were. It's just that good. More like Scholar of the First Win.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

Scholar of the First Win.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Thread title

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Who’s this Lucille person anyway? Keh heh heh heh…

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Vanilla is superior because it has the Heide Knight under the tree.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I did like the one in Forest. Just a good visual.

I assume because it's all a bunch of dudes copying each other, the placement of Heide knights in Scholar has become a huge point of contention amongst angry weirdos.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

I did like the one in Forest. Just a good visual.

I assume because it's all a bunch of dudes copying each other, the placement of Heide knights in Scholar has become a huge point of contention amongst angry weirdos.

Heide knights are cool and good and my friend. Except the spear bro. He's dumb.

One shot both dragonrider and the boat boss. Good fan of the bastard sword and mace so far. Halberd was good for dealing with the heide knights.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

John Murdoch posted:

So I guess ever since hbomberguy made his DS2 video (and I guess even further back, Matthewmatosis made HIS DS2 video) there's been an endless circlejerk of weirdos pumping out Youtube content about how poo poo doo doo DS2 is or I guess now they've moved on to how Scholar specifically ruined everything. This channel does a bunch of :actually: ing in response to those claims. https://www.youtube.com/@Domo3000/videos

I wouldn't take everything they say at face value, but there are some interesting points of comparison. Like apparently Scholar made some tangible damage nerfs to several bosses that have seemingly gone unremarked until recently. Most notably, Ancient Dragon was made waaaaaay less brutal in Scholar.

Also of note, Scholar changed how aggressive groups of enemies are. In vanilla, six enemies will all try and crowd you and attempt to attack at once. In Scholar, enemy groups will do the honorable kung-fu thing and only attack a few at a time. They also cut the aggro range for Amana priestesses by 1/4th, for example.

In general Scholar still adds more enemies, but the encounters tend to work better for one reason or another. Granted, some of the comparisons are like shooting fish in a barrel because it turns out people still mad about hbomberguy and still mad about DS2 like to make poo poo up.

Some people love to get frozen in time like that about some things. See: console war stuff.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I like the idea of games and their multiple DLCs getting packaged together, balanced/tweaked a little, and resold. My question is, why did From do it? They've never done it before, or after. Just seems uncharacteristic.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It’s just a little more effort than the game of the year packages you see for every game now. Showing a new SKU looks good for the bigwigs.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's the next-gen remaster - the first time being released on PS4/Xbone, despite being originally released several months into those consoles' lifespan in the first place. I imagine they felt that just releasing the same game on PS4 with slightly updated graphics would not be a big enough draw for fans who probably already played it on PS3, so they wanted to release something that would entice people that already played it on PS3 to buy it again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also vanilla DS2 was kinda...unfinished. Scholar gave them a chance to bring some of the rougher parts of the game closer to par with the quality of the DLCs.

Edit: I mean I guess DeS and DS1 were also kinda unfinished but neither got next gen rereleases in the same way.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 20, 2024

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd love for ds1 to get the scholar treatment. Make lost izalith more than just a pit of dino butts.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That broken archstone. :argh:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ancient dragon was hosed in the pre-SOFTS version.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I have found the large club. Hello, old friend, you and me did wonderful things together in Lordran.

Might work towards using it instead of the mace.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

I have found the large club. Hello, old friend, you and me did wonderful things together in Lordran.

Make sure you try a parry/riposte or a backstab with it. The DS2 pancaking animation is brilliant.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

Make sure you try a parry/riposte or a backstab with it. The DS2 pancaking animation is brilliant.

I've noticed some sweet backstabbing animations. Bastard sword was cool. Mace was just like DS1.

None of the boss weapons so far seem fun. Dragonrider bow I'll probably get once I have the stats. Lots of sniper opportunities!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Dragonrider Bow is great yeah, it's one of if not the best STR bow. And unless you're a hardcore melee purist, having a ranged weapon makes life a lot easier in many rough spots.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

Dragonrider Bow is great yeah, it's one of if not the best STR bow. And unless you're a hardcore melee purist, having a ranged weapon makes life a lot easier in many rough spots.

My opinion on games (especially this genre): it's a cheese or be cheesed world out there. Use whatever tools the game gives you to win.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
STR Bow with Magic Damage added on, Dragonrider Bow my beloved to supplement some unga and bunga

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Beware, the DS2 large club has termites. It will break during a boss fight even if it was 100% durability at the fog gate.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

axolotl farmer posted:

Beware, the DS2 large club has termites. It will break during a boss fight even if it was 100% durability at the fog gate.

I'm deep enough to say: DS2 durability is kind of dumb. Actually, weapon durability is just dumb in general.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
DS2 really wants you to have two or three main weapons, the game is much better if you know that, but that's DS2.txt for lots of things

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm deep enough to say: DS2 durability is kind of dumb. Actually, weapon durability is just dumb in general.

It's arguably the "best" implementation of durability in that it makes durability actually matter, and that your weapons refresh durability on resting without having to spend the paltry 8 souls or whatever to repair them. The concept itself is interesting; there can be weapons that are very powerful but break easily, and sturdier weapons that do less damage and will last forever. On the other hand, having your weapon break isn't particularly fun, and it ends up being more interesting to limit the number of special attacks you can do with your weapon like they did in Elden Ring.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
As long as you don't plan to kill every single mob and do the boss in a single bonfire run, durability shouldn't be that much of an issue with the exception of some paper-thin weapons (Old Whip, Washing Pole...) and well, that late boss. You should be safe enough with a couple repair powders in the bag in case the issue happens during a boss fight. It's just frustrating as it makes some cool weapons like the Washing Pole a lot less fun than they should be.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Simply Simon posted:

DS2 really wants you to have two or three main weapons, the game is much better if you know that, but that's DS2.txt for lots of things

They do and they actually do a good job with explaining it with how much a strike weapon thoroughly wrecks armored foes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mustached Demon posted:

I've noticed some sweet backstabbing animations. Bastard sword was cool. Mace was just like DS1.

None of the boss weapons so far seem fun. Dragonrider bow I'll probably get once I have the stats. Lots of sniper opportunities!

I liked the Warped Sword, especially it's power stance special attack. Fun to pull off in PvP.