Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Eyud posted:

I haven't actually played the game beyond the first level but the ROTT soundtrack whips rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fImJQmxvwrc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

I finished the first non shareware mapset for Rise of the Triad.

How are these maps so bad. They are so bad. When you have this comprehensive a map view and Im still getting lost in this thats bad.

Its just an astonishingly bad game and like there could be a more fun thing in here but every combat encounter decision is tailor made to just make things take longer instead of being fun.
See if the final episode in the remaster (The HUNT Returns) changes anything for you - it was made by veteran Doom modders and the occasional indie dev in the 2020s, so it tries to adhere a bit more to modern standards.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

See if the final episode in the remaster (The HUNT Returns) changes anything for you - it was made by veteran Doom modders and the occasional indie dev in the 2020s, so it tries to adhere a bit more to modern standards.

Just fired it up.

Its better, and much less frantic "ok what the poo poo did that just open in this sprawling level" but the core combat loop is still built wrong and good mapping principles can't overcome the weird and, frankly, jumbled and bad toolset they have to work with.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't played ROTT but it certainly looks like a unique take on the genre, what with its infinite ammo weapons, weird and wacky powerups, and, of course, LUDICROUS GIBS.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I ain't reading all that

:same:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordja posted:

I haven't played ROTT but it certainly looks like a unique take on the genre, what with its infinite ammo weapons, weird and wacky powerups, and, of course, LUDICROUS GIBS.

I think it helps if you remember weird and wacky does not mean "fun". Two of the powerups are just trolls to waste your time.

The only weapons with infinite ammo are the pistol, dual pistols, and submachine gun and once you have the next tier up you never, ever, ever have any reason to use the earlier tiers. Everything else not only has ammo, they share a single loadout slot so juggling to different explosive weapons is a hassle and again, two of them are basically built wrong for wackiness sake. All enemies except 2 are trivially easy to stun lock with the basic submachine gun, but the other enemies are incredibly durable/immune to that weapon so your standard encounter is just holding down the fire button at great range killing off large groups of lesser enemies and only using heavy weaponry for those tougher foes. Which goes well with how stingy it is in the base game with heavy ammo and how the weapon juggling system means you never really feel like you know where fresh heavy ammo will be, if its even a viable weapon, and if you really need it outside those limited encounters.

This doesn't touch how incredibly god awful the level designs are. Even the professional mappers in the new set have problems because ROTT has a lot issues with its textures, restrictions to the 90 degree walls, and no good way to indicate what the switch you just flipped does at all so levels become repetitive maze areas where you aren't sure if you should double back or what even to do now. In the base game it loves to put pressure plates on the floor which are barely visible in both the first person and in the map overhead and are of course required to progress.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Try out Return of the Triad. It’s a ZDoom mod. It feels like what RoTT should have been if they had used a real engine.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Is Halo Collection worth it if I never played any Halo games and don't care about multiplayer?

Also, ROTT was always a bad game. The soundtrack is great but the gameplay's mediocre at best.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 20, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean...are you interested in Halo? They've got campaigns ranging from decent to really good and they're not solely MP focused if that's what you're asking. But also bear in mind you're stepping into console-first FPSes of a certain vintage that have been slicked up (for better or worse) after the fact.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

Try out Return of the Triad. It’s a ZDoom mod. It feels like what RoTT should have been if they had used a real engine.
It's also conveniently included with the PC version of Ludicrous Edition!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

John Murdoch posted:

I mean...are you interested in Halo? They've got campaigns ranging from decent to really good and they're not solely MP focused if that's what you're asking. But also bear in mind you're stepping into console-first FPSes of a certain vintage that have been slicked up (for better or worse) after the fact.

Yeah, I never really played the console FPS games, never touched Killzone on PS either. Halo always looked too slow but the sale price is really good and I was wondering if the campaigns hold up still.

Gears 5 was 90% off some time ago. I tried that and it was boring as hell.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Terminally Bored posted:

Is Halo Collection worth it if I never played any Halo games and don't care about multiplayer?

Halo CE has a great combat loop, but the worst level design in the series, and has some truly dog water moments. Still worth playing.

Halo 2 is....ok I guess? There's far, far, far, far too many hold out sequences that seem to go on FOREVER though. 2 is also where they relied entirely on regenerating health which can result in some truly bullshit moments.

Halo 3 is the Good Stuff. Well paced, lots of variety. There's one particular element that gets incredibly tiresome immediately that you'll know when you see it that repeats throughout the campaign. Terrible idea. Overall, really fun, and 3 contains what I think is the best level in the entire series.

ODST is fine. The music and vibe are the real highlights but the inbetween mission segments are kind of boring.

Reach is the GOAT. MVP. THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT. You got the levels, you got the combat loop, you got the variety, you got the music, you're fighting elites again, you got a customizable Spartan, you got an ending that makes you do this:

I could talk about Halo Reach all day. The last good thing Bungie ever did. :allears:

Halo 4 starts off promising and then immediately shits itself when you start having to fight the other enemy faction. Quite possibly hte most unfun to fight enemy in a modern FPS. The pacing is so off because the TTK for these things is so wonky. Also, 4 is the most stingy wrt ammo in the whole series. The soundtrack rips, though. Don't let the Marty O'Donnel knob slobbers tell you otherwise.

Never played Halo 5, but the soundtrack to that one is also incredible and I highly recommend giving it a listen.

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
Has anyone tried the Halo collection on a low-spec machine? When I had game pass, I didn't try the collection because the install size was massive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halo 6's campaign is pretty fun, as well, thanks to giving you a hookshoot.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think Halo 1, 3, ODST, and Reach all have pretty great campaigns and have always felt like the difficulties in Reach and the Bungie made games are really well done.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

It's also conveniently included with the PC version of Ludicrous Edition!

Thanks for heads up.

Lets just skip how having actual heights to the floors and not needing to always be 90 degree angles improve a game. The modder to this messed with the TTK like how I have been thinking needed to happen and lets you keep all explosive weapons separately alongside the 100 life items giving you a godmode now instead of a one-up. These little changes are just massive quality of life improvements to ROTT, which even in this form would still frankly not be a very good game but thems the awful hitscanner enemy roster breaks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Br3instyrm posted:

Has anyone tried the Halo collection on a low-spec machine? When I had game pass, I didn't try the collection because the install size was massive.

I don't think they're too heavy to run. They all work on the VCR Xbox. Halo Infinite is great.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

harpistkt on IG playing a bit of E1M1 At Doom's Gate on the electric harp

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Terminally Bored posted:

I mean, it’s $10 for like four and a half games. Might as well.

Halo 1 and 2 have mostly good campaigns with low lows. The basic combat and mechanics really hold up. The mapmaking is kind of weirdly abstract particularly in 1, and runs the quality gamut from “great, classic” to “what the gently caress is this, where even am I”. 2 is much more ambitious than 1 and is probably still my favorite of the games. It’s also clunkier and much more sadistic. Playing Halo 1 on max difficulty is tense but only occasionally shades into bullshit. Playing Halo 2 on max difficulty is strictly for masochists. Both come with fancy remade “anniversary” graphics you can switch to. IMO the Halo 1 anniversary graphics are awful and should not be used, whereas the Halo 2 anniversary graphics look really good, although they still screw up some things.

Halo 3 is a mixed bag campaign wise. Looks great (except the character models), concludes the story in mildly satisfying way, makes good mechanical changes to Halo 1/2, but it’s weirdly short and has some very bad levels. You can tell they had a lot more money by this point, but it makes the low quality elements stick out even more. On the other hand, its scarab fights are among the best boss encounters in any FPS.

4 is a forgettable, overproduced game hamstrung by a need to one-up Halo 3 and I do not recommend it.

If you didn’t like Gears of War 5, don’t play ODST or (sold separately) Infinite, which both have the same style of “wander around the overworld until you find a probably-boring dungeon, rinse repeat” mapping.

I don’t recommend Reach, other people can sell you on that if they want to.

The first three and ODST all have very striking soundtracks if that matters to you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah this sale is pretty great. For 10 bucks you can't really go wrong. The only question is do I want it more than reaver or am I gonna have to top off my steam wallet and get them both

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Barudak posted:

I think it helps if you remember weird and wacky does not mean "fun". Two of the powerups are just trolls to waste your time.

The only weapons with infinite ammo are the pistol, dual pistols, and submachine gun and once you have the next tier up you never, ever, ever have any reason to use the earlier tiers. Everything else not only has ammo, they share a single loadout slot so juggling to different explosive weapons is a hassle and again, two of them are basically built wrong for wackiness sake. All enemies except 2 are trivially easy to stun lock with the basic submachine gun, but the other enemies are incredibly durable/immune to that weapon so your standard encounter is just holding down the fire button at great range killing off large groups of lesser enemies and only using heavy weaponry for those tougher foes. Which goes well with how stingy it is in the base game with heavy ammo and how the weapon juggling system means you never really feel like you know where fresh heavy ammo will be, if its even a viable weapon, and if you really need it outside those limited encounters.

This doesn't touch how incredibly god awful the level designs are. Even the professional mappers in the new set have problems because ROTT has a lot issues with its textures, restrictions to the 90 degree walls, and no good way to indicate what the switch you just flipped does at all so levels become repetitive maze areas where you aren't sure if you should double back or what even to do now. In the base game it loves to put pressure plates on the floor which are barely visible in both the first person and in the map overhead and are of course required to progress.

david_a posted:

Try out ROTT 2013 for a zesty flavour you're sure to like

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Gears 5 was 90% off some time ago. I tried that and it was boring as hell.

username/post combo

also :same: with regard to the Gears games. I tried 1, 4 and 5 and it feels like I'm just replaying the same gameplay sequence over and over again with some unreasonably buff people wittering on over the top of it and I just don't get the appeal. At least the newer ones have some colour though, Gears 1 was incredibly boring to look at. That early Unreal Engine 3 era where everything had to have a muted grey, brown or green palette really sucked

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If you are like me and have played way too much Duke 3D, then you might find this video interesting that documents the eleventh hour tweaks made to the game right before the final release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tKrqUVFv_I

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
To add onto the Halo chat, I've only played the first one, but the first half of 1 is exceptional. I feel it falls off around the halfway point, though there's still some good bits past it. And honestly, $10 for the first one is pretty good, never mind the other games you're getting that I haven't played. poo poo, I'm tempted to pick it up, I've always wanted to play ODST.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

We haven't put anything Selaco related in a while, so...
https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1781388677844783506

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Selaco's definitely looking like an all-timer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wont play pool, but I will play Selaco

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The reticle bloom is sure big, you aren't exactly a precise gunslinger:

Then again it makes sense for this game, where they are going for a Jon Woo style, with bullets and destruction everywhere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, holy poo poo, the flow and screen movement (for lack of a better term) of Selaco really does feel like an action movie, at least how the dev plays it. The movement there looked really natural.

Edit: I'm not explaining it how I mean it; I know the actual 3D movement is still like an FPS, except you're not running at 35mph like in Doom, but the choreography of gunplay (yes, that's it) looks incredible. I played them demo over a year ago, I should check it out again.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 21, 2024

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

We haven't put anything Selaco related in a while, so...
https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1781388677844783506

This is going to be amazing. Best GZDoom original game by a country mile.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
I played through 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach last year on the Steam Deck and had a good time with all of them

Halo

I had played this one before, both on the original Xbox and the crappy old PC port, but back in 2001 and 2003 respectively. It's aged fairly well, and the first ~60% of the campaign is 10/10 until you hit the library, then the game just never recovers. Those first few levels are absolute top shelf though. I don't want to spoil what happens, but essentially the levels are all rehashes/backward versions of previous ones with a bit of a twist. It's kind of neat but it gets old fast when you realize you *just* played this level. The assault rifle stinks. Thankfully in the latter half you also get a very satisfying shotgun, though. The Anniversary updated graphics really did not fit the aesthetic at all and look like a completely different game, i would strongly recommend not using them. Vegetation obscures enemies for you, but doesn't affect their line of sight, so using the new graphics can also get you killed!

Halo 2

I'd also played this one before, from the PC port back in 2007 (?). For all the hate that it got when it came out, the campaign is really great and does an incredible job of expanding the universe without being overly exposition heavy. The story gets much more space opera-y than the more contained plot of the first game, which some people didn't like. The Arbiter rules, though, i don't care what anyone says. Some of the criticism is warranted though, the ending is abrupt and inconclusive, some of the new enemies are a bit annoying to fight. But overall it's a much tighter experience than the first game. The anniversary graphics hew much closer to the art style of the original game, but I still played with them mostly disabled.

Halo 3

From this point on i'd never played any of these games before. Halo 3 is pretty much peak Halo, and has some of the best set pieces in the series. It's not perfect, though — there's one chapter late that drags on substantially, compounded by the game dropping exposition on you and slowing your movement speed so you can listen to it which always drives me mad in games. But it's not a dealbreaker. It also still looks great given its age, from here on the games aren't given the full Anniversary graphics makeover but are instead just rendered at a higher resolution.

ODST

If i'd paid full price for this back in the day i would have probably been angry, as it's quite short. Thankfully buying it with the collection for only cost like 3 dollars. Basically it's a standalone expansion. That said the voice actors are fun, the music is great, and the gameplay is more Halo 3. Not that that's a bad thing but it doesn't do a ton to differentiate itself in terms of gameplay. I feel like the nighttime levels could probably have leaned in to stealth and evasion, especially since you're no longer playing as a genetically modified supersoldier and are just a regular grunt

Halo Reach

Reach was a complete blind spot for me, I'd never seen or heard anything about it. I was pleasantly surprised, though, it wound up being pretty entertaining. It's a bit disjointed, however — definitely feels like Bungie was chasing a different market (COD, probably? I've never played any of them, but i know how popular they were at the time). In spite of this the gameplay is still strong. The overall tone is darker, and it works hard trying to make the Covenant an intimidating foe even after you've already been fighting them for several games. It tries some new stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. The space combat level was a nice surprise, and sort of the logical conclusion of all of the previous games vehicle segments, but i'm glad it didn't last any longer than it did. I felt like none of the supporting characters were particularly memorable or distinct, though the game tries halfheartedly to make you care about them. They're mostly just off the shelf oo-rah war movie archetypes, though one of them does get a pretty badass sendoff as he kicks you out of a spaceship in orbit hurtling toward the planet while he stays behind to trigger the bomb you smuggled onboard. Pretty great overall.

Voodoo Cafe fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 21, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Reach still looks amazing, I got it on Series X as part of the MCC and couldn't believe how good it looked given its age

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ODST is so much Halo 3 (like you said, a paid, standalone expansion) that it shipped with Halo 3's multiplayer. Like afaik, its MP and Halo 3's MP are literally the same thing and are considered one experience in the MCC.

Isn't ODST literally titled Halo 3: ODST?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Selaco owns and I can't wait to buy it. I hope I don't get burned again though, I loved the Beyond Sunset demo and thought the actual game was... fine?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

ODST is so much Halo 3 (like you said, a paid, standalone expansion) that it shipped with Halo 3's multiplayer. Like afaik, its MP and Halo 3's MP are literally the same thing and are considered one experience in the MCC.

Isn't ODST literally titled Halo 3: ODST?

Halo 3 shipped with its own multiplayer but without firefight. ODST came out a couple years later and includes firefight + the Halo 3 multiplayer client on a separate disc. It never had its own multiplayer, unless you count firefight. In the MCC era they added the special ODST weapons into Halo 3 MP as well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Voodoo Cafe posted:

I played through 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach last year on the Steam Deck and had a good time with all of them

Halo

I had played this one before, both on the original Xbox and the crappy old PC port, but back in 2001 and 2003 respectively. It's aged fairly well, and the first ~60% of the campaign is 10/10 until you hit the library, then the game just never recovers. Those first few levels are absolute top shelf though. I don't want to spoil what happens, but essentially the levels are all rehashes/backward versions of previous ones with a bit of a twist. It's kind of neat but it gets old fast when you realize you *just* played this level. The assault rifle stinks. Thankfully in the latter half you also get a very satisfying shotgun, though. The Anniversary updated graphics really did not fit the aesthetic at all and look like a completely different game, i would strongly recommend not using them. Vegetation obscures enemies for you, but doesn't affect their line of sight, so using the new graphics can also get you killed!

Halo 2

I'd also played this one before, from the PC port back in 2007 (?). For all the hate that it got when it came out, the campaign is really great and does an incredible job of expanding the universe without being overly exposition heavy. The story gets much more space opera-y than the more contained plot of the first game, which some people didn't like. The Arbiter rules, though, i don't care what anyone says. Some of the criticism is warranted though, the ending is abrupt and inconclusive, some of the new enemies are a bit annoying to fight. But overall it's a much tighter experience than the first game. The anniversary graphics hew much closer to the art style of the original game, but I still played with them mostly disabled.

Halo 3

From this point on i'd never played any of these games before. Halo 3 is pretty much peak Halo, and has some of the best set pieces in the series. It's not perfect, though — there's one chapter late that drags on substantially, compounded by the game dropping exposition on you and slowing your movement speed so you can listen to it which always drives me mad in games. But it's not a dealbreaker. It also still looks great given its age, from here on the games aren't given the full Anniversary graphics makeover but are instead just rendered at a higher resolution.

ODST

If i'd paid full price for this back in the day i would have probably been angry, as it's quite short. Thankfully buying it with the collection for only cost like 3 dollars. Basically it's a standalone expansion. That said the voice actors are fun, the music is great, and the gameplay is more Halo 3. Not that that's a bad thing but it doesn't do a ton to differentiate itself in terms of gameplay. I feel like the nighttime levels could probably have leaned in to stealth and evasion, especially since you're no longer playing as a genetically modified supersoldier and are just a regular grunt

Halo Reach

Reach was a complete blind spot for me, I'd never seen or heard anything about it. I was pleasantly surprised, though, it wound up being pretty entertaining. It's a bit disjointed, however — definitely feels like Bungie was chasing a different market (COD, probably? I've never played any of them, but i know how popular they were at the time). In spite of this the gameplay is still strong. The overall tone is darker, and it works hard trying to make the Covenant an intimidating foe even after you've already been fighting them for several games. It tries some new stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. The space combat level was a nice surprise, and sort of the logical conclusion of all of the previous games vehicle segments, but i'm glad it didn't last any longer than it did. I felt like none of the supporting characters were particularly memorable or distinct, though the game tries halfheartedly to make you care about them. They're mostly just off the shelf oo-rah war movie archetypes, though one of them does get a pretty badass sendoff as he kicks you out of a spaceship in orbit hurtling toward the planet while he stays behind to trigger the bomb you smuggled onboard. Pretty great overall.

Pretty much mirrors my experience with the series when I played through the MCC a few years back, except that I ended up liking Reach more than 3. I also played the SPV3 mod at that time and while some people think it's overstuffed, I say bring it on, I had a blast.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

skasion posted:

Halo 3 shipped with its own multiplayer but without firefight. ODST came out a couple years later and includes firefight + the Halo 3 multiplayer client on a separate disc. It never had its own multiplayer, unless you count firefight. In the MCC era they added the special ODST weapons into Halo 3 MP as well.
ODST Firefight also received some upgrades near the end of the long decade of post-release oh-god-we're-so-sorry updates, in the form of importing enemies (Flood, Elites) and weapons (Energy Sword, Sentinel Beam) over from Halo 3 as well as some new modes and mechanics.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

rise of the triad levels might look like a childs first attempt at randomly putting stuff down in a level editor, but they make up for it by also being very unpleasant to play

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hey let's not be unfair to ROTT, it's not like the level design is the worst, there are plenty of other mechanical issues that make it unfun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
rott is the best wolf-ish-engine game (and as a Blake stone stan it pains me to admit this), but that’s also extremely damning with faint praise

come to think of it - was doom the first legit fps where there was still a point to using most of your weapons after finding new ones