Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

I want to see a prewar argument between Vault-Tec execs over why people keep mixing up the Pip-Boy and Vault-Boy mascots.

The Shadow to Vault boy's Sonic?

Or Silver, if we wanna make it a "silver age" kind of thing for the 50s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a lot of places where Bethesda missed the point but that wasn't one of them.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Yeah, Bethesda respects that sort of thing. The listed prices of everything in Fallout 4 amuse me. Comic books apparently cost like 20 bucks, so America was experiencing a WW2 Germany level of currency inflation/devalue.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Steve Yun posted:

I’m reading here and there that Bethesda’s games kinda lost sight of the anti-corporate satire of the first two games. How true is this?

its 200% true. The people who made morrowind are incapable of understanding the deep cut 90s adbusters style satire of "corporations bad."

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a lot of places where Bethesda missed the point but that wasn't one of them.

Yeah at best you can say that they focus on gameplay first before story. Doing speech checks for decisions but will design the dungeon so you can either go in guns blazing or sneak through - or design urban areas so you can do stealth sniping from a distance or stomp around multi-story buildings in a jetpack.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 22, 2024

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

I’m reading here and there that Bethesda’s games kinda lost sight of the anti-corporate satire of the first two games. How true is this?

If anything the opposite is true

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tankbuster posted:

its 200% true. The people who made morrowind are incapable of understanding the deep cut 90s adbusters style satire of "corporations bad."

Yeah at best you can say that they focus on gameplay first before story. Doing speech checks for decisions but will design the dungeon so you can either go in guns blazing or sneak through - or design urban areas so you can do stealth sniping from a distance or stomp around multi-story buildings in a jetpack.

This was something I do want to point out: Fallout 4's area/ dungeon design was loving fantastic

If it stuck the landing better on the story and had less dumbed down skills it would be loving amazing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

TulliusCicero posted:

This was something I do want to point out: Fallout 4's area/ dungeon design was loving fantastic

If it stuck the landing better on the story and had less dumbed down skills it would be loving amazing.

I liked the perk system rolled into one. Having the skills system matters if they were going for a crunchier RPG experience (something that the horizon mod does) but their Special system lets you do cool things like aim for build diversity at the start. The roleplay options are limited because of voiced protagonist but you can presumably stat out a "nerdy military scientist" and beeline towards it pretty quickly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished episode 8 just now. I dont really like the games, except New Vegas, so I went in not really having any expectations. Completely blown away, this first season is great and I am excited for more.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, say what you will about the game. The show itself held your attention, looked really nice and had fun characters you could care about. Too bad it will get mogged by Shogun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a good website anywhere to read about the differences in lore so far between the show and the games? Has anyone compiled that extensively yet? My knowledge of the game lore is limited and I’m forgetful, but I feel like the show goes in a vastly different direction in how things like the nuclear armageddon happens.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

season 2 spoilers

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I said come in! posted:

Is there a good website anywhere to read about the differences in lore so far between the show and the games? Has anyone compiled that extensively yet? My knowledge of the game lore is limited and I’m forgetful, but I feel like the show goes in a vastly different direction in how things like the nuclear armageddon happens.

The war seems unchanged, maybe pushed back 2 to 3 hours.

Biggest change was the Ghoul drug stuffq

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Wrong thread

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
the war happens at a different time every time it's shown, it's almost a running gag. In New Vegas and the Dead Money DLC it's mentioned as happening at night, in the Honest Hearts DLC it was late morning/early afternoon, in Fallout 4 it was breakfast time. In the TV show it's back to afternoon

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Obviously because America has different time zones

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Zutaten posted:

Yeah, Bethesda respects that sort of thing. The listed prices of everything in Fallout 4 amuse me. Comic books apparently cost like 20 bucks, so America was experiencing a WW2 Germany level of currency inflation/devalue.

I mean what do they cost now? You’re talking 2077 prices right? They might not be far off.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
a few rounds at the bowling alley cost like hundreds of dollars. A stack of cash is worth a dollar.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I just wrapped up episode 7 and I'm pleasantly surprised at how decent the series is. I wouldn't say it's terrifically gripping on its own merits - it's not something I'll be in a hurry to re-watch later - but it's pretty entertaining, and as a fan of the games it's fun to see such a faithful realization of the setting. The visual design is amazingly spot-on, it feels like a fan film that was given a full sized production budget.

The characters are very recognizable; Lucy as the idealistic good-option-taker, Cooper as the small guns min-maxer on his tenth play through, Maximus as the low-int dipshit who fails every skill check. Norm and Chet from Vault 33 are what you get when you slide all the character creator settings to one extreme or the other, with Norm being the spitting image of the Small Frame trait.

I think Fallout has always been best when it strikes a balance between grim realism and cartoonish absurdity, and this seems to do a good job of capturing that. It mostly takes itself seriously, but it's not afraid to throw in some silly touches like BoS squires toting gigantic golf bags full of gear around behind their knights.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Decided to try fallout 76 since it's free with Amazon prime right now, 112 gigs and the game can't get past the loving "signing in..." screen after 45 minutes of troubleshooting. Nice.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Hell yeah. Got in, started playing and it was stuttering a lot when I saw this confetti on the ground, so I restarted (have to to lower graphics) and now I'm softlocked in the very first room of the game

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Yeah don't bother with 76.

It sucks, and if you feed GaaS slop they will make more

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played it for a few minutes but it didn't grab me. I watched a stream of people grouping up to play it and it seemed like it was just everyone was playing their own fallout game but happened to be in the same game. There didn't seem to be a way to actually play together, they were just playing the game near each other.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Welcome to Gamebryo.

Curious if in Season 2 Hoover Dam is still functional. The Boneyard taking another nuke that wipes out the NCR in the area could have destroyed the local power grid but maybe the dam is still powering the rest of the NCR states across the wider grid.

I also expect that the Enclave will show up in a greater capacity in Season 2 to try and get their stuff back. Vault Tec being scumbags is one thing but the Enclave is the government which thinks it's entitled to everything within a country including corporate assets.

Unless they intend to keep doing wasteland desert adventures I'm not sure what more you can do within the LA region aside from the BOS rebuilding their own little corner of New California while using the Cold Fusion tech to entice wastelanders to join them. I'd like to see the show travel into some more settled regions to contrast against the lawless areas of the Wasteland. Especially if it means seeing some more organized societies.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 22, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got it for free a year or two ago and have never had enough interest to even bother starting it. It's 25 years after the war in West Virginia and somehow it's about the Brotherhood and Enclave again? gently caress off.

I could be down with the Enclave as something connected to the Fallout version of the Greenbrier bunker but the Brotherhood is where I am out.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 22, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/4pauleiding/status/1782136213039980682?t=TsntXejHwlEJFpGR86Jpvg&s=19

Colonel/Aldaris/Vault-Tec Sales Rep seal of approval.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

I got it for free a year or two ago and have never had enough interest to even bother starting it. It's 25 years after the war in West Virginia and somehow it's about the Brotherhood and Enclave again? gently caress off.

I could be down with the Enclave as something connected to the Fallout version of the Greenbrier bunker but the Brotherhood is where I am out.

I mean honestly, I kind of like 76's overall original story? It's clunkily executed, but I do genuinely like the idea of slowly piecing together how this grand ecological disaster happened, and how everyone died.

It's really not the Enclave vs the BOS at all, the very beginning of the BOS shows up as everything is going to hell with the Scorched, and the BOS Codex hasn't even been written, they are still just former military dudes and dudettes, their leader even thinks all the Knight stuff is silly.

I actually think the Enclave is handled rather well in 76? Way better than 3 honestly. The (for people who care) Enclave did in fact go live in their Bunker, but their leader went power mad and paranoid and got couped, and their Computer went AM on them, and possibly you down the road

The main thing is all the factions would have been fine against the Scorched if they just loving worked together, but everyone was doing their own thing and hosed everything else up.

The Scorched could have been done in a WAY more interesting way other than "reskinned ghouls with guns, reskinned Skyrim Bat Dragons" though, that poo poo was lazy.

They also did have humans come back to West Virginia later, for what it's worth.

I think there are MUCH better and interesting ideas in 76's story than 4, (In particular I really enjoy the organic story telling of piecing together all the labor strikes/ bombings happening in the area before the war) but the loving horrible launch and instability of the game really hurt the presentation. I've heard it's better now, but from the posts here lol they still haven't fixed basic stability things.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 22, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have only completed Fallout 3 & New Vegas. Fallout 1 & 2 were too difficult for me, skill issue, nothing wrong with those games. Fallout 4 was just really boring to me and I couldn't get through the main storyline. Fallout 76 I have tried to play three times, and each time I couldnt make it more than an hour before quitting. The game is just not engaging on any level and is very boring.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
bethesda's storytelling is at it's best when it is environmental. A place like boston which has police officers black marketeering and blaming it on the communists is a pretty neat piece of worldbuilding. The problem always is attaching it to a main story that is narratively on par with the tiny side stories they do. Its why their DLC content tends to be better because it takes place in a smaller area where the gameplay loop has already been completed.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Having watched it and mulled over it, the biggest goof up is the conflation of Shady Sands with the Boneyard. It's basically in the middle of nowhere, far to the north of the Boneyard. But in the show they never actually say it and there aren't any maps seen. And the characters just casually go to Shady Sands and then back to the Boneyard like it's nothing, while the handful of definite locations are right in the Boneyard. Also, it strikes me as really weird that there's a bunch of exposed Vault doors that are basically untouched and unmarred beyond the passage of time.

Food for my theory on the goof that just breaks my suspension of disbelief. The depictions of Shady Sand pre-nuking depict it with highrise-esque buildings, which just barrels straight through things I know. I'm not an expert so I'm definitely just pulling it out of my rear end here but that feels far beyond the tech level possible even after making leaps and bounds with salvaged tech. And Shady Sands was originally built in the middle of nowhere, no ruined buildings to reclaim. It'd be very simple to say that the nuking of the Boneyard's provincial capital sends the province into a downward spiral that the NCR is too busy with other issues (like the Mojave) to resolve. Bam. Los Angeles and the surrounding area basically becomes a big pocket of anarchy and chaos as order breaks down.

The absolute best detail and most sad thing is they made Siggi Wilzig wear a tie in the post-apocalypse.

TulliusCicero posted:

I mean honestly, I kind of like 76's overall original story? It's clunkily executed, but I do genuinely like the idea of slowly piecing together how this grand ecological disaster happened, and how everyone died.

It's really not the Enclave vs the BOS at all, the very beginning of the BOS shows up as everything is going to hell with the Scorched, and the BOS Codex hasn't even been written, they are still just former military dudes and dude these, their leader even thinks all the Knight stuff is silly.

It's just a contrivance so they can say the BOS, the most recognized part of the Fallout franchise, is also in this game. Other than that stuff, I do kind of like what it's going for even if everything else around the game is also clumsy contrivance to make people pay for more stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

bethesda's storytelling is at it's best when it is environmental. A place like boston which has police officers black marketeering and blaming it on the communists is a pretty neat piece of worldbuilding. The problem always is attaching it to a main story that is narratively on par with the tiny side stories they do. Its why their DLC content tends to be better because it takes place in a smaller area where the gameplay loop has already been completed.

This is all especially true with Starfield.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tankbuster posted:

Yeah I agree with this completely actually^

It's one of the strengths I think of 76, for the few it has

Their main plots are always so... just there in 3 and 4. 4 has a more initially interesting plot than 3 with tracking Kellog, but then it completely loses steam after he's gone. Meeting the Institute should feel like a crazy thing, but they are just kinda boring. The Railroad is like a mess of ideas and don't really work, the Minutemen could be neat but are boring AND annoying, and the BOS is fine I guess, would have worked better as the primary antagonist tbh.

The Institute set-up makes you think you are going to get Fallout meets Blade Runner, but it never really gets there. I went in expecting the Soul Survivor to be a synth themselves, and it was going to play on themes of what being human actually means but NOPE

Also the twist with Sean is boring and dumb, and why is there a Robo Sean?

Again, I think Far Harbor from what I have heard executes a lot of fun ideas better.

76 was loving interesting because they tried something different at least, and again if the overall presentation/stability were better (or if it was just made to be a single player/ like 2 person co op experience) could have been really good.

It apparently got rushed like crazy too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Finished the show and loved it. Loved the twists, loved the characters, loved that the people kaking it clearly themselves loved the source material.

The series was all on massive discount on steam so I got 1 through 4, plus new vegas, tactics, and a bunch of dlcs for like...$20 total? Just a hell of a lot of game for twenty bucks, especially since I cant find my copies of the originals and wouldnt mind replaying them.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Was the idea of Vaults being used as social experiments in the original game?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I don't think it's explicitly said but heavily implied. The vault in Bakersfield (Necropolis) was rigged to not close its door. Fallout 2 confirms it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lammasu posted:

I believe it was more a thing brought up in the second game and retroactively added to FO1. Like in Fallout 1 Shady Sands and the various gangs are descended from Vault 15, and the Necropolis is a Vault where the door didn't close properly. It's been a while since I've played 2 but I think there was a point in there where they mentioned that Vault 15 was an experiment about pushing multiple clashing groups into a small space, and there was a suggestion that the Necropolis Vault's door was intentionally left ajar.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lammasu posted:

game 2

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I believe it was more a thing brought up in the second game and retroactively added to FO1. Like in Fallout 1 Shady Sands and the various gangs are descended from Vault 15, and the Necropolis is a Vault where the door didn't close properly. It's been a while since I've played 2 but I think there was a point in there where they mentioned that Vault 15 was an experiment about pushing multiple clashing groups into a small space, and there was a suggestion that the Necropolis Vault's door was intentionally left ajar.

And Vault 13 of course being they were given a faulty water-processing plant chip designed to fail after a set about of time.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vault 4 was amazing

That is exactly what Vault-diving is like in the games

Looks innocent on the surface, but the deeper you go and the longer you stay, the worse and worse and worse it gets

Utterly delightful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The original idea was that mankind was buying some time with vaults to develop cryogenics. Once they could figure that out, the next step was to freeze people and send them out to colonize another star system

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oWd4RBdeoaM