Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

lmao why would you believe an mmo player who says this

Like a cultist they sound really convincing because they actually do believe the insanity they are saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hey let me tell you about this great game I've been playing, okay yes it is a JRPG but hear me out

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Hey let me tell you about this great game I've been playing, okay yes it is a JRPG but hear me out

Is it an MMOJRPG

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is it an MMOJRPG

I thought this is what FFXI was going to be, then it came out and it was just Everquest in terms of gameplay. Then FFXIV came out and it was just WoW. They were both better than the original Everquest/WoW, but an actual MMOJRPG would be pretty cool.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Serephina posted:

I mean yes Deus Ex did, they may have not had big cutscene lead-ins, but Natasha/Gunther/Simmons are absolutely boss fights. Natasha in particular is a two-enter-one-leaves fight in a locked room, unless you exploit a bug. I guess you could say the bosses are a bit more diagetic, if I'm using that word right?

Human Revolution's bosses where a bit of... a change of pace, but I never really gave credence that they where inappropriate, unlike a popular sentiment at the time. The game showers you with firearms, its fundamental premise, so anyone who ditched all guns before walking into a bossfight can go to the great effort of pressing quickload and grabbing a nearby pistol then just clicking on the boss's head a few times.

edit: mixed up HR with MD.

Natasha and Gunther are about as close as it gets, but both are bypassable with dialogue options and Simmons you can run right by, twice. Even if you do engage they aren't protracted battles, they end within seconds. They're not really that different from how you handle any other story critical NPC in the game. They're a bit beefy on health, but no more than many of the bigger bots you encounter.

The vibe in the Eidos Montreal Deus Ex games is completely traditional and leans into most of the video game contrivances instead of subverting them. I don't think that they handed them off to a third party developer was the only problem, they're just not a good fit for Deus Ex's game design and ethos.

Dishonored is an example of doing it right, but not entirely. The Delilah fight in 2 is definitely a "boss" and also sticks out as incongruous to the rest of the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I've been trying to play FFXIV recently because everyone told me it's actually way cooler than other MMOs but this is the most tedious bullshit imaginable.

I just leveled up from 71 to 72. I think I fought 3 enemies the entire time. Everything else was literally just running around large zones talking to NPCs, doing a quest where you take a shower by right clicking on it, doing several quests where you have to go to an area and just walk around until you find an NPC to talk to, several quests where an NPC sent me to the opposite side of a zone just to pick up a piece of fruit or whatever for them then deliver it back to where they were. And this is the "main story quest" at a pretty high level.

wow that's 20 levels higher than i ever played, and your tnl grows logarithmically

basically sorry for your loss but ff14 is incredibly horrid

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There have only ever been 6 good MMOs

Ultima Online
Asheron's Call
Puzzle Pirates
City of Heroes
Final Fantasy 11
real old versions of Maplestory

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ultima Online because of its whole cool pseudo-Immersive Sim thing where you could be anything you wanted. You could just be a guy who cuts down trees and makes fancy thrones all day. You could be a tailor and make t-shirts or you could be a chef who bakes cakes then learns alchemy so you can poison them and then learn thievery so you could sneak around and put your poisoned cakes in random players' inventories or leave poisoned cakes on the floor outside the bank. You could buy a boat and sail around fishing up sea monsters. No game has ever made those kinds of activities as fun as UO did

Asheron's Call because it was mysterious as hell and it had the cool patron/matron system where high level players adopting lower level players who would in turn adopt even lower level players was rad. The world actually felt dangerous and difficult to navigate so you had to rely on each others' assistance in that personal 1 on 1 format.

Puzzle Pirates because it owned. Maybe it still does IDK

City of Heroes because it was the last major MMO that was just about making a cool character and beating things up as them. It had almost none of the bullshit of modern MMOs.

Final Fantasy 11 for much the same reason as Asheron's Call, and also because it was just fun to sit around and grind with buds in a chatroom. The difficulty of everything and the absolute requirement of having a party help you with everything made everything feel like an actual adventure in a way no other game has, before or since. These days there's just an overwhelming amount of required content to catch up to the content everyone else is doing, which makes it suck to play long term but the initial experience of everything up to the end of the final line of meta-story missions is still rad.

Maplestory because it was the ultimate mindless grinding while watching TV game back before they added all the modern MMO bullshit

All of these games forced or encouraged community interaction in some interesting and fun ways that made MMOs a much more social experience than they are today and that was cool, and they all came out back before MMO players were terrible horrible monsters.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 21, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i knew someone in high school who played asheron's call with her dad

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

SCheeseman posted:

The vibe in the Eidos Montreal Deus Ex games is completely traditional and leans into most of the video game contrivances instead of subverting them. I don't think that they handed them off to a third party developer was the only problem, they're just not a good fit for Deus Ex's game design and ethos.
Ironically the problem is the Montreal ones stuck a little more consistently to making playstyle a choice you have to make, and not letting you play Call of Duty bullet hose if you didn't explicitly choose to. Then it does a bunch of things that makes that style of play not work very well anyway, then throws you into boss fights where you HAVE to play that way.

Meanwhile the original has the opposite problem where the stealth stuff is inconsistent jank that scales horribly into later parts of the game, but what scales great is putting 3 points into rifle proficiency so you can just dome everything with the assault rifle that every other enemy drops.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Star Wars The Old Republic was secretly just a singleplayer KOTOR sequel that had a bunch of MMO poo poo stapled onto the side of it, which did make it worse but there was still a lot of cool poo poo if you were into the KOTOR games. That makes it the worst of the series, but still I did not regret playing it cause I liked KOTOR.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Same! It was a father-son thing for them, they had a good time. His dad kept playing it until the servers were finally shut down.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aramis posted:

In particular for FFXIV, it's absolutely nonsensical. The whole story is gradually scaffolded in a way where just jumping into it midway is a sure-fire way to have a bad time,

To be fair, jumping in at the beginning is also a sure-fire way to have a bad time.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Even if an MMO/Live-Service game has a “good” story it doesn’t matter because the nature of the game means it will inevitably be either retconned into something bad or taken over by new much shittier writers.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i tried to play warframe several years after it came out and hoo boy is that game incomprehensible if you weren't in on the ground floor.

love the art though

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Man, I bet she was cool!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My favourite live service games are games that release and you can maybe do co-op or singleplayer, then they release expansions and DLC that is good. Then the live service portion is turned off when they're done and you just have a game with extra content.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

There have only ever been 6 good MMOs

Ultima Online
Asheron's Call
Puzzle Pirates
City of Heroes
Final Fantasy 11
real old versions of Maplestory

Agreed except swap out Maplestory for Ragnarok Online

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

As much as I liked Control (eventually after it gave you enough powers to be fun) it had some bad boss fights, especially the expansion.

The boss fights were at least better than just walking around having to clear out another room of floating idiots. Honestly remove the gun from that game and all the shooting and it would've been twice as good even if they didn't replace it with anything.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Like how the Amnesia games wouldn't have been tedious bullshit if they gave me a rifle, shotgun and rocket launcher.

Edit: "ooh I'm hiding under a table I'm scared of being caught" why the gently caress would I want to play childhood simulator smdh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I've been trying to play FFXIV recently because everyone told me it's actually way cooler than other MMOs but this is the most tedious bullshit imaginable.

I just leveled up from 71 to 72. I think I fought 3 enemies the entire time. Everything else was literally just running around large zones talking to NPCs, doing a quest where you take a shower by right clicking on it, doing several quests where you have to go to an area and just walk around until you find an NPC to talk to, several quests where an NPC sent me to the opposite side of a zone just to pick up a piece of fruit or whatever for them then deliver it back to where they were. And this is the "main story quest" at a pretty high level. You can only get one of those quests at a time so you can't even load up your quest log and do a bunch at once. There are other quests that you can do at the same time but they give about 5% of the experience that a main story quest does, which is like a small fraction of a single percentage of one level, so doing them just slows you down. Also you can't skip these main story quests because everything in the game is gated behind them. There are a billion cutscenes where nothing happens and some of them are even unskippable.

The only reason I've been able to play it up to this level is because I have a ton of downtime at work with nothing to do but I don't think I'm going to keep playing it, this is legitimately the most boring MMO I have ever played.

I went from level 1 to like 25 or 30 before quitting. People claim that's the worst part and bla bla it gets sooo good but nobody can really say why and you have to have severe MMO addiction to even be able to get passed all the terrible things MMO players just expect to put up with.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Telling me that everything up until the endgame is the boring and bad part is telling me that it isn't worth playing. It's like saying the last few scenes of a movie is really cool, but you gotta sit through an hour and a half of lovely student film to get there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

Telling me that everything up until the endgame is the boring and bad part is telling me that it isn't worth playing. It's like saying the last few scenes of a movie is really cool, but you gotta sit through an hour and a half of lovely student film to get there.

Excuse me but this is true about the movie Dead or Alive and it owns hard because of it.

The first 95 minutes are a fairly straightforward and grounded ultraviolent yakuza flick that's fine but nothing to write home about.

Then this is the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZak64C_DQE

And it's even better after 95 mins of not expecting it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Aramis posted:

In particular for FFXIV, it's absolutely nonsensical. The whole story is gradually scaffolded in a way where just jumping into it midway is a sure-fire way to have a bad time,
It's only a problem because they insist on gating the instance content behind the MSQ chain.

If they just let people play the instances and figure out what the hell they're seeing at their own pace then it wouldn't be a problem.

Honestly it's kind of funny that it got a good rep for basically removing the need for duplicate progress on alts by letting you play every class on one character, then made up for it by forcing you to progress through every single expansion years after launch.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 22, 2024

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

FFXIV is a story-game OP.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Issaries posted:

no it isn't

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Roadwarden was a very good story-game I played recently.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
An FFXIV player telling you there's fun stuff in the endgame is like a Scientologist telling you someone brings in donuts on Wednesdays

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Issaries posted:

ff14 has less story than final fantasy 4 but more text than the bible

it's basically golden sun, but longer, less fun, and more costs more to play

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I remember The Salty Moutfulls (?)

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

I have such great memories of Deus Ex HR cause played with my best friend and we had no idea what the game was gonna be like going in, had no clue about the original. Our playstyle is to act as stupid as possible and its really rewarding game for that.

The part in Chicago where you get to the cop guy at the desk and are supposed to puppetmaster him with dialog we were about to piss ourselves laughing, they made it so you had to give him almost all carrots and one stick to get what you wanted. Like if you were just nice to him hed get uppity and tell you to gently caress yourself

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Embracer group died and two of its spinoff children have the names "Middle Earth & Friends" and "Coffee Stain & Friends"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It has far more words than any book in existence

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Renreeja posted:

I have such great memories of Deus Ex HR cause played with my best friend and we had no idea what the game was gonna be like going in, had no clue about the original. Our playstyle is to act as stupid as possible and its really rewarding game for that.

The part in Chicago where you get to the cop guy at the desk and are supposed to puppetmaster him with dialog we were about to piss ourselves laughing, they made it so you had to give him almost all carrots and one stick to get what you wanted. Like if you were just nice to him hed get uppity and tell you to gently caress yourself
I nearly poo poo my pants on the first playthrough and your doing the classic Deus Ex B&E ransacking someone's apartment and just expecting that once it's clear no one is going to barge in but then all of a sudden the owner of the apartment interrupts your treasure hunt.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

jokes posted:

It has far more words than any book in existence

Pff, I doubt it even comes close to Fallout Equestria

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I gave FFXIV a fair shake and honestly loved the constant winking references to all the most subtle poo poo from all across the series history, but quit the game hard because the combat is airy, frictionless poo poo. Also lol at MMO combat in general, people convinced themselves that skill rotations are deep and it's tragic.

Give me that whole game as a single-player experience with FFXII's systems and I'll probably never play anything else again.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Excuse me but this is true about the movie Dead or Alive and it owns hard because of it.

The first 95 minutes are a fairly straightforward and grounded ultraviolent yakuza flick that's fine but nothing to write home about.

Then this is the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZak64C_DQE

And it's even better after 95 mins of not expecting it.

From what I remember Dead of Alive starts with an absolutely terrific opening sequence. I remember it being pretty unforgettable, particularly two moments containing an excess of cocaine and ramen. It's been at least 20 years since I watched it but that poo poo was powerful and the energy of it sustains the movie.

The ex-detective who spends all day carving flutes was cool too, but I do remember the sequel being a much better movie, overall. Though it does feel silly to compare them since they only share the two main actors and an absurdist take on Yakuza crime flicks.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

George posted:

I gave FFXIV a fair shake and honestly loved the constant winking references to all the most subtle poo poo from all across the series history, but quit the game hard because the combat is airy, frictionless poo poo. Also lol at MMO combat in general, people convinced themselves that skill rotations are deep and it's tragic.

Give me that whole game as a single-player experience with FFXII's systems and I'll probably never play anything else again.

Its funny that when MMOs make people move outside of a telegraphed attack, it somehow becomes way too complicated for most MMO people to play.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My biggest complaint about FFXIV is that the normal attack was useless usually right out of the gate or at least by the time you have your first skill. There's never a reason it should be used; you always have a skill ready that takes its place. I hate that. Make it useful. Also stamina/magic appears to be useless for many classes at least until level 50 and maybe forever for some :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its funny that when MMOs make people move outside of a telegraphed attack, it somehow becomes way too complicated for most MMO people to play.

My first couple raids were with a guild and went well, it felt like a lot to learn and keep up with but second time it started to feel almost routine already and was clear how I needed to improve.

Then I tried some later with just random people, in a much much easier difficulty, and it was a complete mess, people couldn't even move in a swarm to one location it was like cockroaches scattering into random shadows. The telegraphed attacks became like flames to a flock of moths. Took three times longer to make almost no progress and I couldn't even complete whatever quest I had there.

Staying out of glowing danger zone and mashing random attack numbers is good enough but when 99% of the game is stand still press numbers at your leisure, it's no wonder so much of the playerbase is left dumbfounded when encountering even the easiest mode of a raid.