Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Although it’s not technically possible, it seems very plausible to me that Wilbur is a goon who’s been reading the Invisible Scarlet O’Neil strips posted in this thread in real time.

Have we ever seen Dawn’s mother? I have an incredible well of sympathy for anyone who had to be married to Wilbur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

D'awww

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Although it’s not technically possible, it seems very plausible to me that Wilbur is a goon who’s been reading the Invisible Scarlet O’Neil strips posted in this thread in real time.

Have we ever seen Dawn’s mother? I have an incredible well of sympathy for anyone who had to be married to Wilbur.

The existence of Dawn also implies a woman was once willing to sleep with Wilbur in spite of everything

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

I don't want whatever's going on in the Earth Day graphic to go unnoticed.

1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pluggers are out of shape

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Incredible silent punchline.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

Is the conceit of this comic that everyone is as stupid as newspaper spiderman?

“I’ll kill you, but only later. Even though there’s no practical difference between killing you now and killing you hours from now. Also, I could have just killed you before you even noticed that I was the assassin.”

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ugh. Wives. Aren't they the worst?

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I will give Lynn credit for doing what Gasoline Alley (presumably still) steadfastly refuses to.

also I'm extremely here for "TOMORROW: Scarlett drinks five cups of coffee"

quote:

The strip is still published in newspapers in the 21st century. Walt Wallet is now well over a century old (124, as of February 2024[9]), while Skeezix has become a centenarian. Walt's wife Phyllis, age an estimated 105, died in the April 26, 2004, strip; Walt was left a widower after nearly eight decades of marriage.

drat.

Edit:
The other current characters:

quote:

Avery
Walt's cranky neighbor, who drove an old car that started with a crank long after everyone else had bought a car with a starter. He died "off-stage."
Bill
He also died "off-stage".
Doc
He retired with a young woman on his arm, going off to a well-deserved retirement community. He died "off-stage".

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 21, 2024

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ah yes, Lois Lane, very well known for her red hair.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
hey, maybe Wilbur and his ex adopted Dawn, okay?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Amazing. :lol:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Haraiso Days

quote:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DMorbid posted:

Ah yes, Lois Lane, very well known for her red hair.

FWIW, my mom had jet-black hair, and she dyed it chestnut when the gray started coming in.

I can’t find eight. Seven, I got.

E: my wife gets the email. There’s an inking or scanning error: one of the shadows on the roof edge of the brick building at the far right is supposed to be the fish tail.

Thought I was losing my mind

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 21, 2024

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Flash Gordon

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PainterofCrap posted:

I can’t find eight. Seven, I got.

Any upside-down flying creature counts as the Inverted Bird, so I think the foreground pigeon at top right is the eighth one.

Dan Piraro posted:

The Bizarro bird is represented upside-down to show the importance of individuality. In fact, the bird often changes its appearance entirely, becoming a parrot, a pterodactyl, or any other kind of upside-down, flying beast.

https://www.bizarro.com/secret-symbols

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I remember that when the current creator killed off Phyllis in 2004, he pissed off a lot of elderly readers, which may be why he's afraid to finally let Walt and Skeezix rest.

Pogo 10/16-18/52

And Albert kicks out the few remaining shards of the fourth wall.

I admit I don't get the "dark-horse-shea" joke. Maybe a pun on Crazy Horse's Sioux name, Tashunka?

Archie 3/13-15/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 7/10/77

Another debt of $20,000?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Pogo 10/16-18/52

I admit I don't get the "dark-horse-shea" joke. Maybe a pun on Crazy Horse's Sioux name, Tashunka?

Archie 3/13-15/50

If you’ve heard “Jingle Bells,” then you may recognize the line that describes their ride as a “one-horse open shay.”

(The song is actually a celebration of Thanksgiving, not Christmas)

https://www.britannica.com/technology/one-horse-shay

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 28-30, 2006)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

If you’ve heard “Jingle Bells,” then you may recognize the line that describes their ride as a “one-horse open shay.”

Oh geez, now I get it. The bit in the next panel about "running for a hundred years and a day" is a reference to Oliver Wendell Holmes's poem "The Wonderful One-Hoss Shay". It's about a guy who builds a cart that can't break down because every part is built to be equally strong -- and it works great for a century and a day, and then collapses into a heap of dust as everything breaks at once.

Who says comics ain't educational?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 21, 2024

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Jingle Bells is about a sleigh, though, isn't it?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

someone awful. posted:

Jingle Bells is about a sleigh, though, isn't it?

Ja you are correct. I am wrong.

Although one-horse open shays were a thing. Why / how do I know that

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Conan: The Blood Egg Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Steam-driven automata go back a lot further than you think. While the first successful steam train was, of course, Stevenson’s rocket, and the first sentient train was Thomas the Tank Engine, the first recorded use of steam power is recorded in Alexandria around 30BCE. I don’t know when the stories in Conan take place. You’ll have to look that up. Given the Pangaeatic nature of his world, I think it might be a bit earlier.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The horror of Jeremy Duncan’s feet.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The_Other posted:

Conan: The Blood Egg Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Hyborean age is before writing, or before surviving written records, Allison. Given how much weird stuff is in that world, though, steam power gets a pass.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's also explicitly post-Atlantean golden age so the setting has a huge get-out-of-jail-free card for oddities.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I AM GRANDO posted:

Hyborean age is before writing, or before surviving written records, Allison. Given how much weird stuff is in that world, though, steam power gets a pass.

They recently excavated a Roman water heater with brass valves controlling the lead pipes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the romans live like thousands of years in the future for conan. the timescale on the hyborian age is huge - it's supposed to begin in ~100,000bce with the fall of atlantis and the kull stories, and end somewhere around 2,000bce as the indo-iranian peoples emerge in archaeological history.

that ancient roman water heater is further away from conan than we are to it.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Selachian posted:

I remember that when the current creator killed off Phyllis in 2004, he pissed off a lot of elderly readers, which may be why he's afraid to finally let Walt and Skeezix rest.

He could just not use them? It's not like their names are in the title of the strip. Just Barney Google them!

Krazy Kat(January 12, 1919)

Blind Pig being an early slang term for a speakeasy.

Gasoline Alley(December 7, 1919)

Little Nemo(June 7, 1908)

This sucks, but at least, in about a month, the imp character will be going away for a bit again, and we'll be getting a few of the more iconic strips.

Anyway, I have a bit of news, as I am going to be adding 4 new strips, Well more three strips and a feature. These follow two themes; Immigrants, and Early works by women.

Bringing up Father

Created by the son of Irish immigrants, George McManus, Bringing up Father follows Maggie and Jiggs, an Irish couple who win a million dollar sweepstakes and moves to New York. Much of the conflict in the strips concerns class and what it means to move from working and middle class to upper class. Maggie representing the steriotype of the "Lace-curtain Irish" and Jiggs the "Shanty Irish". Jiggs seeks to keep up with his working class upbringing and trying to interact with American society without losing hes Irish identity, and Maggie trying to push him to assimilate into mainstream upper class American society. The comic ran from January 2, 1913, to May 28, 2000, making it one of the longest running American newspaper strips.

The book I'm sourcing the early strip from is spotty at best, rarely having more than two consecutive days of strips, but is till better than trying to get the first couple of years from Newspaers.com. By October 1914, the paper I'm sourcing most of the strips I'm posting picks it up, so it'll be more consistent then.

Abie the Agent

Harry Hershfeld was an early pioneer of newspaper comics, landing his first strip, 'Homeless Hector', in the Chicago Daily News in 1899 at the age of 14. Starting in 1910, Hershfeld began drawing 'Deperate Desmond', an early adventure/suspense strip, notably featuring a Yiddish character. Beginning in 1914, he began 'Abie the Agent', featuring the first Jewish protagonist in an American comic strip. Abraham 'Abie' Kabibble, a used car salesman, was designed as a rebuttal of many common Jewish stereotypes of the time, being fairly successful middle class immigrant. As the stip progressed, Abie would gradually lose much of his Yiddish character, assimilating into American culture, and promoting the acceptance of Jews in America, but often at the cost of depicting other other ethnicities negatively. After a contract dispute in 1932with the International Feature Service, which syndicated the strip, it would go on hiatus until 1935, when the strip moved to King Features, which would run the strip until 1940.

"Cap" Stubbs and Tippie

Frances Edwina Dumm, professionally known as simply Edwina, was one of the first women to have a daily strip published, as well as the first full time editorial cartoonist in an American paper. Her most successful strip, about a boy, Joseph "Cap" Stubbs, and his dog, Tippie, began in 1918. The dating of the strip is a bit difficult. Wikipedia insists it started on August 21st, based on an advertisement on that date in a paper that began running the strip the following week, but the earliest strip I've found is from March 4, and I'm still not sure if it's the first strip. The strip ran until 1965.

And finally:
Nell Brinkley

Stretching the definition of cartoonist a bit, Nell Brinkley is one of the most important of the early women of the newspaper. Discovered in 1907 by William Randolph Hearst, Brinkley moved from Denver to Brooklyn, where she began drawing large, highly detailed illustrations accompanied with some prose commentary. These became so popular that women began emulating her styles, and lead to the downfall of the 'Gibson Girl' as a major style touchstone. Her commentary, written in the pop culture style of the time, often centred on descriptions of "relationships between boy and girl—man and woman—Bettys and Billies." Her art would spawn what came to be called the 'Brinkley Girl', generally a young working woman, wearing lacy dresses, hair in curls, and engaged in activities that pushed the boundaries of the general view of women's activities at the time, became a feminist icon, And would be one of the first works to link young, attractive women with the concept of suffrage. Brinkley would stat losing popularity by 1935, as photograph became more prevalent in newspapers and magazines. Because of the accompanying text requiring an image to text program, which still need babysitting, I' going to posting Nell's work on Sundays, maybe Saturdays as well, So here's the earliest illustration I could find:
(March 5, 1908)

quote:

JUST THE BETTY FOR BILLY TO MARRY
As Told by the Stars and Nell Brinkley
No. 1-The Gray Billy and the Red Betty.

THAT yellow fortune teller of tinsel and brass rings and glass beads and tattered yellow silk and soiled fingers, of tin coins flaring at the root of its brown throat-that mock fortune teller, the almanac, tells you with a grimy forefinger to its gypsy brow what the stars tell about the mating of Billys and Bettys.

And the mock fortune teller says the stars say that Bettys and Billys are colors. Red Billys, with roaring tempers, don't match well with ditto red Bettys, who kick chairs and things,
too.

Indigo blue Billys, with thunder on their brows and "what's the use?" in their hearts, don't match well with indigo blue Bettys,who flat their noses against the pane and wish they were dead when the steak is cooked to coke and the cream won't whip.

Billys so the tinsel fortune teller says the stars say-should look on the rows of many Bettys-blue ones and green ones, and golden ones and white ones-and the Betty that is just the the thing that he isn't is the one to tell the Tale of Wonder to and pack off to live in his house for ever and ever, amen.

I don't know, but I bet you the curl above my right eyebrow-that I twist when I can't think what I want to say - that the stars say that, and then wink a mighty, unholy wink at the moon.

But anyway, this is to be a bunch of Almanac Billys and Bettys, and this is the first smiling two:

This is a gray Billy. He's as patient as the Sphinx or a gray rock.

His eyebrows are worried all the time, for fear he will forget something he wanted to remember.

His knees are scared of their lives and jam together all the time.

He sits always on the edge of things.

He has a mighty and wondrous forehead, and the hair swoops back from it and fringes over his collar.

His walk is very apologetic and pigeon-toed and the murk and heavy wisdom of all the books in the world hang upon him.

He has two great glares of glasses in front of his near-sighted eyes and he hustles along home on his lean legs every night hugging the things that the butcher and the baker and all rest of the smiling ones of the trade have told him "squibbers" about.

And this is the red Betty for the gray Billy. She is much big and sometimes beautiful. And her hair is most always gilt colored. It doesn't matter whether she's rich and perfumed and cultured, with much clinking money, or whether her coins rattle thin when she shakes her money box and listens.

She will always look like the many clinking coins.

She will always be piled and breathing hard with the wonder of lace and fur and drooping feathers of the poor kind or the rich, and she will conquer and boss and charm in either.

She swoops when she walks, and all the fur and lace of her rushes like the Cheyenne chinook coming down out of the cold hills.

"You just try it" sits upon her with a fine, sure air.

She'd buy all the eatin's, and carry them, too, when she and the gray Billy went home; and the butcher and the baker and allthe smiling ones of the trade would tuck away their squibbers and tell true to her.

This Betty would remember everything for the gray Billy. She'd talk for him and apologize for him and boss him till he was radiant. That blessed Billy-the gray Billy!

The stars tell that the gray Billy, with the scared knees and the forgettery, should sing his song to the Betty who would remember for him and boss him forever and ever, amen.

NELL BRINKLEY.

It's all like this really. Enjoy!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The_Other posted:

So I was waiting for this story to end before posting this; in Suddenly silver: Celebrating 25 Years of For Better or For Worse there are several commentaries by Lynn and her family on the strip, with two parts that reference the death of Farley. Apologies in advance for the walls of text.

From Lynn's comments of "The Middle Years"

Also, commentary from Beth Cruikshank, Lynn's sister-in-law.

Thank you for posting these. They're certainly...illuminating, and there is so much to unpack here.

Lynn Johnston posted:

Charles Schulz was now one of my closet friends and confidants in the business. When I told him I had to do away with Farley, he was genuinely furious. I explained that I had no choice. Since the strip developed in real time, the dog was much older than he should be, and to allow him to stay in the strip would be contrary to everything I was doing. When you're working in real time, you have to deal with life spans! He was angry nonetheless, admonishing my decision. He threatened to have Snoopy hit by a truck at the same time and taken to the hospital. "Then nobody will care about your stupid story," he said. He was serious, so when the time came to write the series, I didn't tell him.

For someone who claims they're close friends with Schulz, Lynn's choice of words here paints him in an unflattering light. He wasn't disapproving, he was 'genuinely furious.' He wasn't frustrated with the plans for Farley, he 'threatened to steal the spotlight from me by having Snoopy get hit by a truck.' She can't help but paint herself as a hapless victim of circumstance with everyone out to get her, and not a writer who's making a dumb decision.

Lynn Johnston posted:

The episode came as a surprise-and he never forgave me. Rather, he never forgave April for falling into the river in the first place! Like some readers, there are cartoonists who take these characters far too seriously.

No surprises Charles blamed April here, given how Lynn framed the topic. I've mentioned how April's first words after being rescued was to apologize and take all the blame, but even that big Sunday strip goes on about how April feels guilty for causing Farley's death. The parents just aren't taking culpability for their neglect being the root cause of this accident. You can't just say "man, people sure to take my strip so seriously" when you've placed a huge lightning rod directly on the child so she receives all the readers' hate.

Lynn Johnston posted:

Although I never intended to be a conduit to open discussion about controversial subjects, I'm pleased to know that many of the strips have been used in presentations, parenting articles, books, and teaching aids. All of us face difficult issues in our lives. Death touches us all, sooner or later. Everyone, whether they are willing to admit it or not, has someone in their immediate family or circle of friends who is gay. Most of us know individuals who are disabled and others who are or have been the victims of physical abuse.

All I have to say is how weird it is that she lumps having a gay family member/friend' or knowing someone with a disability as part of 'difficult issues in our lives.' It makes me wonder when this commentary was even written.

Beth Cruikshank posted:

"I have no choice." The voice on the phone sounded unusually grim. " You know my strip runs in real time. And since you just told me sheepdogs don't usually live past twelve, and Farley is already thirteen-well..."

This passage is just really finny to me, imagining Lynn being all grim-faced and talking about how the dog has to go. She also talks about how she has no choice but to kill the dog, as if the strip is twisting her arm. She's the strip's writer, so it's her prerogative if she wants to keep Farley around forever as a mascot, realism be damned.

Beth Cruikshank posted:

"Wow!" I contemplated the likely reader reaction with awe. "So how are you going to do it? How on earth do you bump off the family dog in three panels and a punch line, and hope to get away with it?"

"I don't know. Farley is getting older and more feeble these days, so the setup is there. but I can't see the end yet."

"Well, there's one thing I can tell you about the end!" I said, with sudden conviction. "After all the abuse that poor dog has taken from those kids over the years, and the way you've made him the butt and fool of the family, you HAVE to give him back his dignity when he goes. Farley has to die a hero!"

"A hero?" Lynn said, startled. "Farley? Oh, come on! He's old and tired, and besides, everyone knows he's basically pretty dumb. He can't do some brilliant Lassie thing, like smashing through the window of the burning building and turning the combination of the lock with his teeth to rescue little Timmy before the dynamite goes off in the mine!"

The first thing I notice is how Lynn and her sister-in-law talk about killing Farley off in 'three panels and a punchline' as if there's an expectation to treat Farley as a gag. Even Lynn talks about Farley as if he's huge joke who can't be as brilliant as Lassie. I almost wish they made it a gag strip, because that probably would've been far less stupid than what we got lmao.

The other thing is how the sister-in-law's comment about how those drat kids have abused the dog all these years and how he deserves to have his dignity returned. It's such a lovely thing to say about the fictionalized version of someone's children. Or maybe that's a casual observation based on how the comic portrays the kids? If even the sister-in-law picks up how the strip presents the kids in a negative light, I can only imagine how uncomfortable it is for Lynn's actual kids to read about their comic counterparts.

Again, thanks for posting this commentary. It's just a fascinating look into this bizarre plotline.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
its so funny she couldnt imagine an elderly dog

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

...was coming home to just find him dead on the floor not an option?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I only read FBoFW periodically when I was a kid, I think I saw the :fireman: strip, but didn't understand the context. I remember when the strip was winding down and thinking "Jesus Christ, there's nothing wrong with being single if the alternative is being with a loving loser like Anthony".

Wasn't there some big kerfuffle from her kids at some point about having a character die that was based off of a family friend or something?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
the woman the son marries was based off his real friend and who died in a car accident somewhat depicted in the comic, the son was gay irl! its hosed!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Was Farley even a prominent part of the comic? From what I remember and from what I've seen posted here, the dog only got the occasional Sunday strip to himself. I don't recall any story arcs about Farley apart from the strips where he gets with the neighbors' dog and sires his replacement.

On that note, it's funny how the family's new dog looks so much like the old one. If you skipped reading the comic for a month or so you might not even be aware that anything tragic had happened.

"He's dead, but don't worry. They have a spare."

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

The Dinette Set

Popcom

Also, here are these scripts, since I just had to go digging through the last seven threads to find them. I'm having to post them as a screencap, since trying to post with the quoted text leads to a notice that I've been blocked by SA's automated security service. Fucky, but big thanks to Elysiume for compiling these back in the day!