Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yes literally nobody, anywhere in the world at any point in history, has time for that bullshit and if you think you do you're just wrong that's facts :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
fallout 4's ironman mode would have been something I maybe would've engaged with if i didn't have to do the Great War ThemePark Ride every time i started the game over because it broke itself and killed me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
they really should've made it so that Survival Mode and Difficulty Level were two separate things, like in NV

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/4pauleiding/status/1782136213039980682?t=TsntXejHwlEJFpGR86Jpvg&s=19

Okay I did not realize that Paul Eiding was the Vault Tec sales rep but now I can't not hear him. Colonel, what are you doing dressed as a door to door salesman?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genuinely incredible that this is happening. Would people launching it with mods even register on Steam?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

gradenko_2000 posted:

genuinely incredible that this is happening. Would people launching it with mods even register on Steam?

I think it does. I opened up mod organizer 2 and launched FO4 and the play button in steam changed to stop.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah pretty sure it does

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

it does.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So, I jumped back into FO76 on PC, not realizing that it didn't xfer my progress from my XBox One. No real loss, back to 14 in a couple days. How do I maximize my last 2 days of Fallout 1st?

Also, I started the Atlantic City/Rose Lounge quest at 13, did I screw myself over for loot?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

gradenko_2000 posted:

Show this next week when the fps patch drops. I'm planning on doing my first playthrough then. Still loving around with DD2 now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Bethesda would probably do well to get something in motion to get new Fallout stuff going while the momentum of this show is going. Since it was just renewed, I doubt they have much in the way of stories written for season 2, so filming is a long ways off. Considering Fallout 5 probably hasn't even been conceptualized yet since they just started working on the next elder scrolls, they should probably get a third party to make something. Remaster FO3/NV or something. Or Remaster 1 and 2. It's crazy that there's all this hubub about the show and all they have to show for it game wise is to promote a game from nearly 9 years ago because no one wants to touch 76.

I restarted FO4 recently, because there's a bunch of stuff I never did in my original playthrough. Apparently I only played for about a month before stopping. I guess I was busy with getting out of the military and just never got back to it. I've got a lot of stuff to do.

But while I was messing around in Concord and thinking about things, I really hope that the next game is a bit more open ended. I realized that I don't give a poo poo about the main story. Shaun can gently caress off, I just want to explore the fun environmental bits. I found a crashed plane and imagining what it would have been like to fly on it, with the lounge in the wings was more interesting than anything from the institute. I was thinking it would neat to have another pre-war start. You mess about before the bombs drop and then go into the vault where you become the ancestor of your player character, or maybe you refuse to go in the vault and become a ghoul. Or really just any way to let the player be a ghoul.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Remaster FO3/NV or something. Or Remaster 1 and 2. It's crazy that there's all this hubub about the show and all they have to show for it game wise is to promote a game from nearly 9 years ago because no one wants to touch 76.

yeah there's definitely value in putting out a re-release of 3 and NV even if it's just "this supports modern OSes now"

and getting them on the Switch

and getting them on the PS4 / PS5; current gen Xboxes can play 3/NV for the 360 via back-compat, but since 3/NV originally came out for the PS3, there's no way to play them now on Sony consoles except via their streaming service

poo poo, doesn't Microsoft own all of this now? They should get the guys who did the Diablo 2 remaster to work their magic on Fallout 1 / 2

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

3 and NV already run fine on modern OSes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

3 and NV already run fine on modern OSes

that never stopped Bethesda from releasing yet another edition of Skyrim

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Fallout 4 was the best selling game in Europe last week and Fallout 76 hit a 24 hour peak player count of 72,930 on Steam

I think they're fine with what they've got

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 22, 2024

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

New Vegas hit more concurrent users on Steam than at launch

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cojawfee posted:

It's crazy that there's all this hubub about the show and all they have to show for it game wise is to promote a game from nearly 9 years ago because no one wants to touch 76.

I agree with your general sentiment that there should be a faster pipeline of Fallout stuff that could better coincide with the show, but this seems slightly unfair on 76 - a game which is currently Steam's 6th best seller and has broken through its lifetime peak player count numerous times over the last week (not to mention any boost its had on consoles)

I think it's been interesting to observe the alternative, actually. The impact on a whole series rather than just a single game. There's a ton of energy behind the entire catalogue, and although FO4 seems to have benefited the most, I think people discovering the isometric games, or revisiting 3 & NV, or witnessing the turnaround in 76's reception, is pretty cool in itself.

Still, I bet they won't repeat this "mistake" for Season 2. I'd be shocked if we don't have some sort of New Vegas remaster/re-release and at least a splash screen confirmation of FO5 by the time Season 2 rolls around.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chronojam posted:

New Vegas hit more concurrent users on Steam than at launch

Time to finally pay that bonus to obsidian :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I completely forgot that there was a companion app for fallout 4. I downloaded it on my ipad and it actually works pretty great on there. The screen is big enough that I can just have it sitting on my desk and tab through it. Much better than using it on phone was. Back in 2015, before had any kind of way to kickstand my phone, it just felt like a stupid gimmick.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Should have just bought the collectors edition, they already solved that problem

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Cojawfee posted:

Bethesda would probably do well to get something in motion to get new Fallout stuff going while the momentum of this show is going. Since it was just renewed, I doubt they have much in the way of stories written for season 2, so filming is a long ways off. Considering Fallout 5 probably hasn't even been conceptualized yet since they just started working on the next elder scrolls, they should probably get a third party to make something. Remaster FO3/NV or something. Or Remaster 1 and 2. It's crazy that there's all this hubub about the show and all they have to show for it game wise is to promote a game from nearly 9 years ago because no one wants to touch 76.

I'm pretty sure there were plans for a 3/NV remaster before Starfield imploded at the starting gate. The cash shop in 76 has consistently been producing assets from the previous games upgraded to 4/76 fidelity.

Despite all of the buzz around Fallout right now, I think the studio is trying to salvage something out of Starfield to avoid the wrath of Spencer. The guy who took credit/blame for 76's launch and first year got FIRED-fired despite being a 10+ year vet of the studio, and Todd relinquished managerial control to someone from MSX.

Bethesda hasn't even delivered a Creation Kit for Starfield yet, and that's specifically Emil and Todd's baby.

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Father Wendigo posted:

I'm pretty sure there were plans for a 3/NV remaster

This was never formally confirmed, but was pretty obviously attempted several times. Same with Fallout 1/2 remakes to be handled by third parties. The Fallout 4 patch was promised years ago.

Bethesda seems to really struggle with actually delivering anything these days.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Father Wendigo posted:

I'm pretty sure there were plans for a 3/NV remaster before Starfield imploded at the starting gate. The cash shop in 76 has consistently been producing assets from the previous games upgraded to 4/76 fidelity.

Despite all of the buzz around Fallout right now, I think the studio is trying to salvage something out of Starfield to avoid the wrath of Spencer. The guy who took credit/blame for 76's launch and first year got FIRED-fired despite being a 10+ year vet of the studio, and Todd relinquished managerial control to someone from MSX.

Bethesda hasn't even delivered a Creation Kit for Starfield yet, and that's specifically Emil and Todd's baby.

Amazing that this is like, entirely wrong except that the CK is not in public yet for Starfield.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just want a Fallout game that has an ingame graphics settings menu rather than a launcher-only option or messing with .ini files. No I haven't played 76 or Starfield so maybe those games finally made the leap forward. Definitely had to rewire my brain to the way Gamebryo engine stuff works for this replay.

Hoping against hope that the patch will at least bring some new features to the engine on exchange for breaking every mod.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Isn’t 4’s graphics settings all in game? I don’t remember having a separate launcher thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there are a few that are set outside in the launcher iirc like rain/wetness FX and FSAO (although don't disable FSAO this way because it Breaks Things)
and then there's gobs of ini editing-only settings

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I’m replaying 2 and still absolutely love it, I’m about a third of the way through, having finished most of New Reno. I’m thinking I’ll finally give 76 a real try and bought it for $7. Is the subscription strictly necessary? I remember reading that it 100% was for anything past playing early levels casually since storage is gated behind the sub payment. Is that still true?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Frog Act posted:

So I’m replaying 2 and still absolutely love it, I’m about a third of the way through, having finished most of New Reno. I’m thinking I’ll finally give 76 a real try and bought it for $7. Is the subscription strictly necessary? I remember reading that it 100% was for anything past playing early levels casually since storage is gated behind the sub payment. Is that still true?

With the sub, Ammo and Junk have their own separate no-limit stash boxes. Without the sub, you've got 1400lbs of stash for everything. This used to be a LOT lower and has grown over time.

Sub definitely helps if you've got the hoarding disease, but if you have the self control to not run through the wasteland grabbing everything not nailed down, it's definitely playable without.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Had something like 750 hours on FO76 and never really felt inclined to buy the subscription service. Managing your scrap is not a very big deal if you're willing to not hoard everything you ever find and occasionally go farm specific materials you might need a lot of at any given time.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Otacon posted:

With the sub, Ammo and Junk have their own separate no-limit stash boxes. Without the sub, you've got 1400lbs of stash for everything. This used to be a LOT lower and has grown over time.

Sub definitely helps if you've got the hoarding disease, but if you have the self control to not run through the wasteland grabbing everything not nailed down, it's definitely playable without.

Oh cool yeah I don’t really care about most of the crafting stuff or hoovering up every piece of garbage for a screw, though admittedly that’s because I just cheated in materials in Fallout 4, which I also hated and could never get past the institute reveal before giving up because it was just such a gratingly stupid game. I’ve heard lots of people say F76 has a better narrative and world - ill never get over finding the robot race track and realizing they were just generic hostile mobs - so I’m hoping the absence of a console to smooth out the rough edges will be compensated for. Thanks!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

When should I start to gently caress with legendary anything in 76? Level 50? Just keep using the random legendaries I loot until then?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Some item types like the Handmade assault rifle top out at lvl 45, but yeah don't bother enchanting stuff before you're at the endgame.
If you're really pro, you look up the handful of useful uniques you get from quests. Don't finish those quests until you're lvl 50 (the loot is levelled and you get it only once)

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 22, 2024

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

Bethesda would probably do well to get something in motion to get new Fallout stuff going while the momentum of this show is going. Since it was just renewed, I doubt they have much in the way of stories written for season 2, so filming is a long ways off. Considering Fallout 5 probably hasn't even been conceptualized yet since they just started working on the next elder scrolls, they should probably get a third party to make something.

NEW VEGAS 2

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

that never stopped Bethesda from releasing yet another edition of Skyrim

they specifically rereleased Skyrim SE as a side effect of developing Fallout 4. The game also needed it the most.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Todd Howard - “If you want us to stop releasing it, stop buying it”

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Thought I'd give FO76 a fresh playthrough but gently caress me is it making it hard.
1- Unable to move when first loading in. Had to set the .exe to admin on the compatibility tab (obviously)
2- No sound. Had to set it to DVD/48000khz, and add some poo poo to an .ini (naturally)
3- unplayable frame drops and jitter. Lock frame rate to 120 in the NVidia control panel (of course)

I need help with this one though..

--edit- I fixed it, but I'll leave this all here in case it helps someone some time
4- Jerky/jittery frame rate/frame pacing, only when using kb/mouse. Particularly bad when simply panning left/right.
It isn't as bad as problem 3, but it isn't really playable. I could use gamepad, but I'd much much rather use kb/m

I've tried all of these, in all combinations -

Setting frame rate to 60/90/120 cap in NVCP.
Switching V-Sync off in NVCP
Adding "[Controls] and underneath it add bMouseAcceleration = 0" to the custom .ini
Mouse acceleration stuff is off in Windows already
Tried dropping settings etc. Have a 7800x3d and a 4090, so I should be fine. Mouse is a Razer 2.4Ghz job, but it is the same when connected via USB
-edit-

loving dumb stupid broken game.
I also had to add this
"iPresentInterval=0" to the falloutprefs.ini file as well as cap it in the control panel (silly old me!)
Nice and smooth now. Does appear to have some poor tearing in the bottom 1/3 of the screen, but I'll deal with that tomorrow since I'm totally over this lmao.

Gotta wonder how many less technically aware people just bounce clean off of this (and the others) though.
Even finding answers to issues is a nightmare as there is just so many issues, solutions and "solutions" that it very hard to navigate.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 23, 2024

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Thought I'd give FO76 a fresh playthrough but gently caress me is it making it hard.
1- Unable to move when first loading in. Had to set the .exe to admin on the compatibility tab (obviously)
2- No sound. Had to set it to DVD/48000khz, and add some poo poo to an .ini (naturally)
3- unplayable frame drops and jitter. Lock frame rate to 120 in the NVidia control panel (of course)

I need help with this one though..

--edit- I fixed it, but I'll leave this all here in case it helps someone some time
4- Jerky/jittery frame rate/frame pacing, only when using kb/mouse. Particularly bad when simply panning left/right.
It isn't as bad as problem 3, but it isn't really playable. I could use gamepad, but I'd much much rather use kb/m

I've tried all of these, in all combinations -

Setting frame rate to 60/90/120 cap in NVCP.
Switching V-Sync off in NVCP
Adding "[Controls] and underneath it add bMouseAcceleration = 0" to the custom .ini
Mouse acceleration stuff is off in Windows already
Tried dropping settings etc. Have a 7800x3d and a 4090, so I should be fine. Mouse is a Razer 2.4Ghz job, but it is the same when connected via USB
-edit-

loving dumb stupid broken game.
I also had to add this
"iPresentInterval=0" to the falloutprefs.ini file as well as cap it in the control panel (silly old me!)
Nice and smooth now. Does appear to have some poor tearing in the bottom 1/3 of the screen, but I'll deal with that tomorrow since I'm totally over this lmao.

Gotta wonder how many less technically aware people just bounce clean off of this (and the others) though.
Even finding answers to issues is a nightmare as there is just so many issues, solutions and "solutions" that it very hard to navigate.

Have you tried setting "Borderless Window" to "Full Screen" in the video settings? Or vice-versa?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Less technically aware people are not running the game at 120fps

E: and yeah, entirely learned from tooling with Fallout 4, borderless Fullscreen seems like it's better than fullscreen

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Entorwellian posted:

Have you tried setting "Borderless Window" to "Full Screen" in the video settings? Or vice-versa?

Yup, and restarted in between too. Not to worry the main issue is fixed. The tearing thing is more just disapointing rather than game breaking
I was trying to kid myself that I was just being overly sensitive at one point, but now that it is moving smoothly the difference is wild.
I'll see how it goes with an a actual game play session tomorrow and hopefully not be complaining again. lol.

MJBuddy posted:

Less technically aware people are not running the game at 120fps

E: and yeah, entirely learned from tooling with Fallout 4, borderless Fullscreen seems like it's better than fullscreen

Hah, yeah I actually started it at 60. 120 fixed that bit, which was surprise.
IIRC it was back to 60 when I switched it off to see if that helps with the tearing, but I'm a bit bamboozled now tbh.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Yup, and restarted in between too. Not to worry the main issue is fixed. The tearing thing is more just disapointing rather than game breaking
I was trying to kid myself that I was just being overly sensitive at one point, but now that it is moving smoothly the difference is wild.
I'll see how it goes with an a actual game play session tomorrow and hopefully not be complaining again. lol.

I had the same problem with the tearing screens and glitchy framerate for both Fallout 4 and 76. I think it has to do with the refresh rate of your monitor display if its not set at 60hz on some machines.