Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm pretty sure I would have beaten it if I was doing it by myself but I was doing it with one of my best friends who is just not that good at this game despite years of playing it.

The weapons he chooses rarely make sense and he doesn't use special and heavy weapons that often, nor does he spam many abilities. Mostly plinks away with a primary weapon.

Like we did 50 rounds of onslaught yesterday and I had like 800+ kills, 400+ orbs generated, the pubbie had 400 kills and 100 orbs, and my friend was like 300 kills and 100 orbs. If I can't carry us through something it's not getting done.

edit: I just wish he'd pick something like Sunshot to spam primary shots instead of some lovely weapon like using an SMG from long range. I do not understand his weapon choices at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also worth noting that banner of war was added in season 22, so no one playing at LF launch could have used it

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope final shape unlocks the rest of my strand kits for warlock and titan, jeez what a worthless grind

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mustang posted:

I'm pretty sure I would have beaten it if I was doing it by myself but I was doing it with one of my best friends who is just not that good at this game despite years of playing it.

The weapons he chooses rarely make sense and he doesn't use special and heavy weapons that often, nor does he spam many abilities. Mostly plinks away with a primary weapon.

Like we did 50 rounds of onslaught yesterday and I had like 800+ kills, 400+ orbs generated, the pubbie had 400 kills and 100 orbs, and my friend was like 300 kills and 100 orbs. If I can't carry us through something it's not getting done.

edit: I just wish he'd pick something like Sunshot to spam primary shots instead of some lovely weapon like using an SMG from long range. I do not understand his weapon choices at all.

I did a Coil the other day with two people who used nothing but Wish Ender the entire time. Wish Ender is great but that was certainly an experience.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

haveblue posted:

Also worth noting that banner of war was added in season 22, so no one playing at LF launch could have used it

I thought OP was talking about trying to do Calus legendary right now. mb

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Doing the campaign on easy, unlocking Strand, and then doing it on the same character but on Legendary

This is madness to even speak of!

Orv
May 4, 2011
How else will they properly appreciate nothing happening and everything you did being pointless? Gotta run it at least twice per character.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’m so glad TFS doesn’t require me to complete the campaign 3 times to unlock the new subclass for each class.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah hopefully there's no Unlock process since uh.. I already have Thundercrash, Shackle Grenade and Diamond Lance unlocked. It's ok to just leave it unlocked and not relock it so I can unlock it

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Finster Dexter posted:

I thought OP was talking about trying to do Calus legendary right now. mb

I don't remember it being that hard in Classic but the Legendary put me off Legendary missions for the moment

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I can't do Calus on legendary either. I think I have before for a weekly mission but for some reason now that I'm doing it to try to up my guardian rank I just can't get it done.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I just remembered that Legendary Campaign and Weekly Story Mission: Legend are wildly different things and my nose started tasting like pennies

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is there even a point in doing legendary campaign now that we have gift of the thundergods?

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBX posted:

Is there even a point in doing legendary campaign now that we have gift of the thundergods?

Your exotic knockout list from Vex Incursions will be slightly shorter and you'll get 300 extra strand currency, so ehhhhh.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Triumphs

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
You don't even need to do it for the title.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Related to Neomuna stuff, is there any decent way to get red borders out of there? Seems like all the methods people had a year ago have been greatly nerfed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Orv posted:

Related to Neomuna stuff, is there any decent way to get red borders out of there? Seems like all the methods people had a year ago have been greatly nerfed.

Unless you feel like spending harmonizers, no

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've loving given up on ever getting Round Robin lmao. It just doesn't exist as a drop, let alone a red border. And given it apparently excels in PvP mainly I don't exactly care to farm Neomuna poo poo to get it. But it is absolutely loving ridiculous how bad those patterns are to get. You'd think heroic patrols or events or loving Nimbus engrams would be on knockout at this point but nah.

Orv
May 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

Unless you feel like spending harmonizers, no

Rad

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

syntaxfunction posted:

I've loving given up on ever getting Round Robin lmao. It just doesn't exist as a drop, let alone a red border. And given it apparently excels in PvP mainly I don't exactly care to farm Neomuna poo poo to get it. But it is absolutely loving ridiculous how bad those patterns are to get. You'd think heroic patrols or events or loving Nimbus engrams would be on knockout at this point but nah.

If I remember when I farmed it (post nerfs ) you get one red border for post campaign quests per character. Then you’re stuck heroic patrol farming (felt like 10% chance per patrol of a red drop) or using harmonizers.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Had the quest ones dropped, not seen a single one since. I've turned in a bunch of Nimbusgrams and gotten a load of everything else, so yeah, just gently caress that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just want one of them which makes the math even funnier. Guess I’ll just be done with Neomuna tomorrow when I get the glaive that’s already been murdered for being good.

E: Which is mostly just a consequence of a live game but it is funny how they keep giving us more glaives but every time they make them worth using they get the boot.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 22, 2024

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Belial42 posted:

If I remember when I farmed it (post nerfs ) you get one red border for post campaign quests per character. Then you’re stuck heroic patrol farming (felt like 10% chance per patrol of a red drop) or using harmonizers.

I did this pre-nerf, so YMMV but you can spawn in at the Terminal Overload zone and zip through the zones to check for heroic patrols, then hit the Terminal Overload to reload into new instances, and just do that forever. (if you spawn into a Terminal Overload that's on the last phase, you can finish it in a few mins to get a couple more rolls) You can get heroic patrols pretty quickly, but I guess you have to do a lot more just to get the red borders, so ehhh it's gonna be a slow grind no matter what I guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Heroic patrols were at some point nerfed to no longer be a 100% chance of a drop, so it’s going to be a very slow grind

Orv
May 4, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

I did this pre-nerf, so YMMV but you can spawn in at the Terminal Overload zone and zip through the zones to check for heroic patrols, then hit the Terminal Overload to reload into new instances, and just do that forever. (if you spawn into a Terminal Overload that's on the last phase, you can finish it in a few mins to get a couple more rolls) You can get heroic patrols pretty quickly, but I guess you have to do a lot more just to get the red borders, so ehhh it's gonna be a slow grind no matter what I guess.

This still works but yeah whatever the red border rate from heroic patrols is now it’s not worth it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I believe doing the legendary weekly mission still has a decent (guaranteed?) chance of giving you a red border, but obviously that's a once per week thing.

I don't understand why Bungie wants to gatekeep crafted weapons so hard. Sure, make players put in a little bit of effort to unlock the patterns, but nobody wants to grind neomuna that much. The neomuna weapons aren't even that good and I wouldn't use harmonizers on them.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 22, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

today i learned that master difficulty dungeons are on a rotator now

loving pathetic

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There are a bunch of red borders I never got from Neomuna. I played a ton of the activities when it first came out, but rapidly stopped because neon aside, the aesthetic is basic as gently caress, it's just ODST with christmas lights.

There are still a bunch of neomuna craftables I don't have. I got Round Robin eventually but it never felt or looked as good in PvE as I was expecting. Love the sniper though.

Neomuna was one of the bits of content that absolutely broke my desire as a filthy casual to play and explore on a daily basis. It's one of the many parts of destiny I think we'd remember more fondly if it wasn't for the fact that the reward structure incentivises you to grind until you hate it. The fact that the best advice for getting red borders is loading into liming harbour over and over until you randomly get a heroic patrol (rather than doing any of the activities for a guaranteed weekly) shows you how bad they are at rewards.

Either Nimbus or the librarian's weekly should be a guaranteed red border you don't have.

I can see myself going that way with Onslaught. Two nights ago I found myself thinking I was really enjoying it, and then I finished and went to Shaxx and saw how goddamn slow the progression is. The reward in the sense of 'I enjoyed playing that' is completely out of whack with the reward in the sense of 'this is the item we are rewarding you with and this is the progress you made on someone's reward track'

It's nust another example of the frustration of playing a game that is fundamentally enjoyable to play, but also badly mismanaged with a wall of poo poo preventing or disincentivising you from just having fun with most of it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Honestly the Shaxx Onslaught reward track should just reset and reward a bunch of tokens tbh. Just load em up, ten, twenty, loving throw seventy at us and upgrade modules gently caress it why not.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's nust another example of the frustration of playing a game that is fundamentally enjoyable to play, but also badly mismanaged with a wall of poo poo preventing or disincentivising you from just having fun with most of it.

Eh, I think that remains kind of a self-fulfilling problem. If you force yourself to do the things that aren’t fun then you’re always going to hate it.

That said, every grind in Destiny could be 40-60% shorter and only the people at the top of Bungie obsessed with metrics would be harmed. It’d be nice if every time they go “Yeah actually we agree this is a problem” they didn’t do another ridiculous grind three months later. Or a triumph with bizarrely specific requirements or whatever.

The core game remains one of the funnest out there though, so it’s a weird dichotomy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It would also help if there were multiple paths to a given reward so you didn't have to grind a single activity until you hate it. Maybe add an activity currency that just lets you buy red borders, which in turn is rewarded from doing activities related to the source of those guns. Like for Neomuna guns do lightfall missions, neomuna patrols, lost sectors, terminal overload, hypernet current, etc.

Some people are going to figure out how to minmax it and unlock all the patterns in a day, but is that really a problem? It feels like they're making the game grindy to put the brakes on the miniscule fraction of players who will blitz the content (and then complain there's nothing to do), but at the cost of making the experience poo poo for everyone else.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
After trying to get godrolls this weekend, I’m back fully on board with crafting. I was anti-crafting for a bit but not anymore, gently caress grinding drops.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

God I hate all the people who screeched about crafting ruining the grind. I've gotten like 20 drops of mountaintop without seeing autoloading once.

e: lol came to bitch and didn't notice someone was making the same/relevant point right before I did

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Collateral Damage posted:

Some people are going to figure out how to minmax it and unlock all the patterns in a day, but is that really a problem? It feels like they're making the game grindy to put the brakes on the miniscule fraction of players who will blitz the content (and then complain there's nothing to do), but at the cost of making the experience poo poo for everyone else.

Direct result of developing for content creators.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

It would also help if there were multiple paths to a given reward so you didn't have to grind a single activity until you hate it. Maybe add an activity currency that just lets you buy red borders, which in turn is rewarded from doing activities related to the source of those guns. Like for Neomuna guns do lightfall missions, neomuna patrols, lost sectors, terminal overload, hypernet current, etc.

The thing where doing any activity has a chance for seasonal engrams is halfway figuring this out, honestly.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Oxyclean posted:

God I hate all the people who screeched about crafting ruining the grind. I've gotten like 20 drops of mountaintop without seeing autoloading once.

e: lol came to bitch and didn't notice someone was making the same/relevant point right before I did

Once you have a pattern, every single drop of that gun for the rest of time is a wasted, meaningless drop that could be replaced by glimmer. Arguably that's the case BEFORE the pattern too. That kinda sucks in a looter shooter.

Yes, most drops are garbage anyway and will be sharded. But there's at least a reason to care about them/look at them. Without crafting, a full 5/5 god roll is rare enough to be worth looking at every drop, even when I've got something with the main perks I want.

I love crafting, I'm glad it's in the game. But every single source of every weapon does not need to be craftable, IMO. Sorry you had a string of not getting the specific perk you wanted?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crafting is pretty cool and also blew up Destiny's loot systems forever lol

It probably should have just let you make one signature weapon for yourself or something idk, instead I auto delete anything I have patterns for and mostly don't give a poo poo about other weapons except for extremely particular (and still probably inferior) rolls, other than raid/onslaught stuff.

Even then I don't care about most of the raid loot now that I have, for instance, a crafted three round burst lfr with reconstruction.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 22, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I still maintain that they should let you store your favourite roll in collections because at the moment it's just this weird additional screen of guns you can inspect but not really interact with in any other way.

It must be taking up a stack of resources having it available all of the time for absolutely no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Crafting has reduced my tolerance for chasing rolls. It hasn't eliminated it, and for guns that have No Bad Perks I will grind those til the cows come home

But if it's hard to get the gun to drop & even harder to get a worthwhile roll? Forget that poo poo, there's probably a reasonable substitute in the crafting menu