Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Their final youtube video had over a dozen staff listed in the credits (including roles such as 2nd unit director of photography, production co-ordinator, art director, etc) so they sure seem to think they're the equivalent of a TV production company

quote:

In the video, Bergara says Watcher strives to produce high-quality material “that you would find on say, a Netflix.” But that means that each season of a show like “Ghost Files” costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, according to Bergara, when factoring in travel expenses, location fees, hiring freelance production staff, studio fees and post-production costs. He says with the subscription service, Watcher will be able to invest in expanded content — for example, “Ghost Files” will be traveling to the U.K. in upcoming episodes.

Netflix does not make money and is currently carrying $8b in net debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ah drat you edited it in time

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

pentyne posted:

Netflix does not make money and is currently carrying $8b in net debt.

mad?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I know they teased the return of Worth it but I am not paying money to watch them eat food

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the culture war bullshit surronding games is stupid and i want everyone involved on both sides to get killed by falling anvils

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crain posted:

Please link some because this is so fascinating to me. NASCAR has such a weird history and every generation of fan has a completely different view of it. Like my grandpa knew of it as this barely legalized version of what he'd do as a teen and young adult, racing bootleg liquor through the mountains. My dad was aware of that, because grandpa told him, but really only knew about it as the era of crazy innovation and experimentation by barn loft inventors willing to risk blowing up in a fireball to see if their cheat....I mean innovations...would give them a leg up. I basically only kinda knew about it as the Jeff Gordon era of "Go fast, turn right" and never really got onboard (and eventually just gave up on it and went over to F1).

I'm fascinated to see just what kids three+ generations out think NASCAR is and is about.

Here op. I was being uncharitable to be fair, it's more that like, they'll talk about 2014 or something as an all time great year and I personally stopped watching since every season after like 2007 was horrible because they hosed the car specs up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijvYtguWVvw

Also frankly the guy copies too many of Jon Bois's mannerisms and any time I see that with anyone copying someone else I want to be like "find your own voice dude"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Here op. I was being uncharitable to be fair, it's more that like, they'll talk about 2014 or something as an all time great year and I personally stopped watching since every season after like 2007 was horrible because they hosed the car specs up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijvYtguWVvw

Also frankly the guy copies too many of Jon Bois's mannerisms and any time I see that with anyone copying someone else I want to be like "find your own voice dude"

i watched some bobbybroccoli videos because i love stories about Huge Frauds and its like yes i know he actively and consciously says that jon bois is his influence on how he presents information but like

dude you're just doing the exact same thing lol

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is the first ToddyBoya video I watched and it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teS-yyH_t7s

tl;dr : You can use AI to make Facebook stickers of "woman covered in white goo" or "Kim Kardashian and Ray J" with surprisingly accurate results (and I mean accurate to what you think of when you read them).

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Watching the latest Jeff Gerstmann ranking of NES and it devolves into pure nonsense in just 5 minutes. This game just looks fake.

The Adventures of Rad Gravity, A NES Strider-like with a old scifi style aesthetic is one of those things that you'd expect on a microcomputer, not on something like the NES. It's mixed reception is certainly understandable! The comic that came with it was cute.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got rad gravity as a kid because my dad was super into buck rogers(? I think that's the one, the one with the rockets with fins on the backs, bubble helmets and ray guns with the weird ribbing on the barrels) style space stuff when he was a kid. It was incredibly incomprehensible for a small child. I think I made it through three, maybe four of the worlds, and died an infinite number of times to fire bugs on the volcano planet because I couldn't figure out where else to go

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The MSJ posted:

This is the first ToddyBoya video I watched and it's hilarious.

tl;dr : You can use AI to make Facebook stickers of "woman covered in white goo" or "Kim Kardashian and Ray J" with surprisingly accurate results (and I mean accurate to what you think of when you read them).
that doesn't sound very hilarious

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Did he also AI generate his own headshot for that thumbnail

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alaois posted:

Did he also AI generate his own headshot for that thumbnail

lol

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

lol at the Longest Drink In Town cups, that's some kiwiana right there

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Crain posted:

Ugh, tell me about it. I'm at that age where me, my siblings, and my cousins are having to deal with how to handle these things. Massive Clothing collections, Purses, Fine China, Silver Services, Thomas Kinkade paintings, Coin collections, etc. Everyone of my Aunts and Uncles has SOMETHING they were just super into, spent way too much money on, and were too credulous to second guess the marketing about "it'll be work X+++$$$ in 30 years".

This is gonna be hilarious in 50 years when our kids and grandkids try to offload millions of pristine, yet worthless Funko Pops.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bad Wolf posted:

This is gonna be hilarious in 50 years when our kids and grandkids try to offload millions of pristine, yet worthless Funko Pops.

Reminds me of this classic:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Reminds me of this classic:

Also this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1WjTsWFCw

A video about a guy who went to two of the biggest caves in Vietnam. They are very pretty and I recommend watching this, and also for the massive army of porters with even more coming from the other end of the trek to come cook insanely delicious hot local meals for him every day and it's a trip that cost him $3000

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Actually watching the Jeff gerstmann rad gravity bit and yeah this sums that game up pretty well

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Let Northernlion inspire you this Monday morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yutsIpLK2Rs

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Captain Invictus posted:

Actually watching the Jeff gerstmann rad gravity bit and yeah this sums that game up pretty well

I haven’t looked up anything about this game, but it looks like a port of a British platform game, like the Dizzy games.

And after a quick google, it seems I was wrong: this wasn’t some import job Interplay did in their early years, it is a Brian Fargo original!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh I'm sure this anti-asian stereotype was true at one point, but I recall that being more of a prominent thing back during the 2000s. I feel like once we reach the tail end of the Wii/ PS3/ 360 area, most of that stuff died down quite a bit.
its definitely still a thing lol. kotaku's deleted its comments so i cant dig it up but literally last year i saw multiple kotaku writers replying positively to a comment on it saying 'whenever i see a japanese game i just assume its going to be juvenile crap for incels.' and when elden ring got big there was basically nothing but crying and screaming from western devs about it not failing western AAA design trends

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

i am tim! posted:

I haven’t looked up anything about this game, but it looks like a port of a British platform game, like the Dizzy games.

And after a quick google, it seems I was wrong: this wasn’t some import job Interplay did in their early years, it is a Brian Fargo original!
please allow the title theme of RAD GRAVITY to assault your eardrums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lh40GRnK1k

Gametal included it in one of his medleys but even he couldn't do much with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sukeGQAAjVM

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 22, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and if you wanna spin beyond japan, basically the moment genshin impact was announced every single western gaming site was referring to it as a 'chinese bootleg' of breath of the wild and gleefully talking about how it was clearly a ripoff and nintendo were going to sue them, and even when it came out they were like 'uhm, this sword slash looks vaguely like one from nier automata??? chinese frauds???' and then it got big and they just started posting guides without ever addressing the fact that two months ago they were comparing the game to a bootleg family guy dvd. that was just a few years ago.

anti-asian racism is insanely prominent in these circles because east asian countries are basically the only majority non-white countries with a strong gaming industry, and shockingly racism was not defeated when everyone agreed that persona 5 was pretty good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

its definitely still a thing lol. kotaku's deleted its comments so i cant dig it up but literally last year i saw multiple kotaku writers replying positively to a comment on it saying 'whenever i see a japanese game i just assume its going to be juvenile crap for incels.' and when elden ring got big there was basically nothing but crying and screaming from western devs about it not failing western AAA design trends

Also the recent ff16 series of what I can only call attempted debacles where so many freak games journos read everything YoshiP.said as incorrectly and poorly as possible after he pointed out how weird they can be over J RPGs specifically.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kotaku literally running an article going 'if japanese devs want to release a game in the west, they NEED to adhere to western cultural standards' ftw. just the most insane racism presented as the only woke option.

like maybe blizzard should have to not make wall jumps a japanese genetic trait before they release in japan. no? its only japanese devs who have to bend over backwards for americans? weird.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

please allow the title theme of RAD GRAVITY to assault your eardrums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lh40GRnK1k

Gametal included it in one of his medleys but even he couldn't do much with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sukeGQAAjVM

This is even more confusing for me because the title theme makes it feel even MORE like a NES jank port of a British platformer, specifically.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wait holy poo poo the original composer of the title theme for rad gravity commented on that gametal clip and he has a video talking about that theme and how it's considered one of the worst themes of all time and he likes that lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMxnwHxHG4Q

Basically he wanted to have some influence from the Jetsons, rocky and bullwinkle, and other things in it

I honestly don't think it's necessarily completely terrible as a melody, but they just didn't work it right with the available sound chip.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 22, 2024

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

not make wall jumps a japanese genetic trait?

it's not???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every japanese hero in the game can wall climb/jump

obviously, this is because all the japanese heroes are from the same ninja training facility or w/e, and not literally because its a genetic trait.

however, it is weird, and stereotypical, that the game has 3 japanese characters, and they are all ninjasamurai.

Obviously, Overwatch's characters are universally broad stereotypes, but America has two cowboys and also Reaper and Soldier 76, both of whom play to more aesthetic trends in American pop culture rather than one specific stereotype. Likewise, Mei doesn't really play that hard to any specific Chinese stereotype, beyond maybe a vague sense of them being good at the sciences.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 22, 2024

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I do think the opinolns that soulsborne games' interfaces are confusing and clunky are correct.

But they're also largely consistent between games and I've committed them to muscle memory so it doesn't matter much.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I’d take those criticisms more seriously if the same people making them didn’t hold up games with dogshit UI from the west as examples to follow in the same breath.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I honestly don't think it's necessarily completely terrible as a melody, but they just didn't work it right with the available sound chip.

I think that’s why I am getting this “crap port” vibe because it absolutely sounds like someone dumped a song designed in something else into the NES sound chip.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah. The comparisons to early PC games like commander keen and such, but a really lovely knockoff of that kind, are apt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

I’d take those criticisms more seriously if the same people making them didn’t hold up games with dogshit UI from the west as examples to follow in the same breath.

yeah thats my main point. elden ring's UI has issues and there are plenty of criticisms to be made. they should not be made by an Ubisoft UI designer.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ubisoft… *spits on ground*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching a video on the Watcher debacle and I can't believe they didn't do anything for their Patreon subscribers (other than the kind of discount any streaming service gives new customers). Like the bare minimum would be to gift them either a year or six months so they can feel like they're being recognized for already supporting.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

Let Northernlion inspire you this Monday morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yutsIpLK2Rs

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the culture war bullshit surronding games is stupid and i want everyone involved on both sides to get killed by falling anvils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Fil5000 posted:

What if I remade quintons videos word for word but used a face rig that looked like James Somerton and an ai voice based on hbomberguy
_________/\_________

Only registered members can see post attachments!