Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The Moon Monster posted:

The antipathy some people have for non-dark mode is weird. Who cares. I guess some people have been hoodwinked into thinking dark mode is healthier?

several years ago at work we were watching a video about a blind software engineer at amazon and his ide was in light mode. one of the guys watching was like "psh, light mode. scrub."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Actual lovely thing: how is it loving hard for me to find a Motörhead shirt that’s a feminine fit and doesn’t give me the vibe of a pack of Misty cigarettes. Like I just want the OG warpig or maybe Overkill and the only one that fits will take nearly two weeks to get here?

I’m just sick of altering shirts to be less boxy. Especially if I’m buying a new shirt. The oversized tshirt trend is doing me in. Also why so many goddamn AC/DC shirts who the gently caress needs that many?

Not quite lovely thing:
Every so often my Lock Screen has a battle with the widgets and I end up getting a cat blocking the news feed.

Honestly, this could do wonders for my mental health.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i took the news feed off my phone and just read the news every morning at breakfast

compartmentalizing news has a huge mental health benefit imo

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

i took the news feed off my phone and just read the news every morning at breakfast

I’ve done breaks for a week every so often and when I do, something nuts ends up happening and I end up seeing it via a friend’s post or something.

Might try having a period per day instead, sounds like a good idea. Only exception is for my local paper so I can find out why helicopters are flying overhead for the zillionth time or in the summer when I smell burning.

I absolutely need to stop checking Swedish subreddits unless if it’s for a very specific query. Thankfully the dogshit mobile website helps tamper it down real quick.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Yeah after spiraling into a depressive abyss reading the news throughout the pandemic, the best thing I ever did for myself (after antidepressants and therapy) was to go completely cold turkey on it. Maybe that's an overcorrection, but at least I have a will to live, so I'm going to keep doing it this way.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

teen witch posted:

Every so often my Lock Screen has a battle with the widgets and I end up getting a cat blocking the news feed.

That's just an accurate representation of what you'd see if the cat was in the room with you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Moon Monster posted:

The antipathy some people have for non-dark mode is weird. Who cares. I guess some people have been hoodwinked into thinking dark mode is healthier?

Yeah I don't get it either. I use dark mode at night sometimes. If I'm using Word I'd like it to look on the screen exactly like how it will when I print it out. I'd never even consider a dark mode for that.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Removing the news blurbs from the start menu and web browser opening screen helps. A lot. Same with removing it all from my OSX Macbook notifications as well.

Every morning, sign into work. And just being bombarded with news from Microsoft's feed about whatever congress is fighting about today, or some made up news article meant to trigger whoever. ffff

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Honestly I just use dark mode so I can pretend I'm batman while I do my boring office job.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bossy lady posted:

Honestly I just use dark mode so I can pretend I'm batman while I do my boring office job.

Oh poo poo. I never thought of that.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

teen witch posted:

Direct improvement

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
If lunar mining happens it's far more likely to be sold on the basis of decreasing tidal pressure in the later stages of our ongoing climate disaster. The moon (at least the earth-facing side of it) has very little economically useful material.

Then, once we've learned somewhat more efficient methods of space mining, subsequent (likely asteroidal) projects will be sold on the basis of using excess material for rebuilding our ruined moon to fix whatever problems mining it caused.

Economic factors will barely be a consideration, aside from offsetting the cost of our exercises in hubris.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I looked at a bike parts website and two hours later I'm.getting push notifications from chrome telling me I've been signed up for some mailing list and hey here's a discount and gently caress off with this poo poo goddamn.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

I wrote a Python script that generates a daily newspaper using LaTeX and prints it each morning. It scrapes a list of RSS feeds for the first 3 headlines from each source, and prints the headlines and the blurb from the top article. I’m working on adding a comics section next.

During the day I lock my phone in a locker while I’m working so it’s been great. If there’s anything super interesting, I can search for it at the end of the day.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Outrail posted:

I looked at a bike parts website and two hours later I'm.getting push notifications from chrome telling me I've been signed up for some mailing list and hey here's a discount and gently caress off with this poo poo goddamn.

Holy crap, that's dire.

Alright, I gotta complain about Square, the credit card processing thingy for small businesses.

There was this local mechanic I would go to for oil changes, and I'd always save that big ol' sheet-of-paper receipt that mechanics give, 'cause why not. One time they didn't give me the receipt but instead asked for my email, and I figured they were just going paperless and gave it to them. Nope! It turns out I unwittingly gave their payment system Square my email and forever associated it with my credit card!

What does this mean, exactly? It means any time I use that credit card at any business that also uses Square, I get involuntarily signed up for any mailing list they have! Go to a local café? Guess what, here's their seasonal drinks! Go on a road trip, stop by a comic book store you'll never see again and buy something? You'll now be hearing about all their events forever after!

Yes, each email comes with the "unsubscribe" button, and I can opt out or block them one by one. But any business I go to has that chance of dropping another on my head. And if I want to "adjust my email preferences" for Square on the whole? Why, that's simple! I just have to go to the Square site and give them my goddamn phone number in order to make an account and dissociate the email that I never had knowledge nor gave consent for them to have.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

That's the same checkout machine that always asks you to tip right? Lol I hate those. You scooped some fried rice into a box, I'm not tipping you 20 percent for 5 seconds of work.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Turn on your monitor

Jokes on you. I use darkmode. I faintly see my shame at all times

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

If lunar mining happens it's far more likely to be sold on the basis of decreasing tidal pressure in the later stages of our ongoing climate disaster. The moon (at least the earth-facing side of it) has very little economically useful material.

Then, once we've learned somewhat more efficient methods of space mining, subsequent (likely asteroidal) projects will be sold on the basis of using excess material for rebuilding our ruined moon to fix whatever problems mining it caused.

Economic factors will barely be a consideration, aside from offsetting the cost of our exercises in hubris.

Mining won't make any appreciable difference in the gravitational pull of the moon.

If we blow the moon up, on the other hand, it should form a belt and eventually take tides to near-zero.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE7BBWirEnU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

teen witch posted:

Actual lovely thing: how is it loving hard for me to find a Motörhead shirt that’s a feminine fit and doesn’t give me the vibe of a pack of Misty cigarettes. Like I just want the OG warpig or maybe Overkill and the only one that fits will take nearly two weeks to get here?

I’m just sick of altering shirts to be less boxy. Especially if I’m buying a new shirt. The oversized tshirt trend is doing me in. Also why so many goddamn AC/DC shirts who the gently caress needs that many?

Not quite lovely thing:

T-shirts should be based on my measurements and preferences. I like my clothing to be relaxed and nonrestrictive so please stop with the athletic cuts companies. Oh and make them long enough or cut in a way for me to be able to raise my arms without showing my belly. Yeah and pre shrink your shirts. Yes I do wash my stuff on cool and dry it on low. No I'm not going to line dry it.

I'd like sweat pants or lounge pants or anything really to mean uncuffed terry pants but no there's no consistent naming and everyone wants to sell joggers. Just sell me 100% cotton sweat pants without cuffs please. Thank you.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 22, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I was using google maps on my phone and somehow it spontaneously acquired an overlay indicating gang turf and activity in my area. I did not ask for this, it just happened while I was trying to find out how to get home from the furniture store.

It took me a few days to figure out how to turn this overlay off. For a while it was just always there, no matter what I was searching on the map. I eventually managed to find the option, which was not explicitly called out. I just had to push an unmarked X in a random menu. I live in a fairly nice neighborhood without a lot of crime, but the map was making it look like I could scroll around for Night City PD bounties and guys in color coded bandanas.

Further research led me to discover that the map overlay is something that some random people on reddit put together. I think their data about which groups of Bloods and Crips and MS13 spinoffs were surrounding my home was probably not well-vetted. I never looked up any such thing before this happened to me. I kind of wish I hadn't turned it off because it was hilarious seeing it pop up whenever I tried to figure out which bougie sushi place had the best vegetarian options.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 22, 2024

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cerekk posted:

Mining won't make any appreciable difference in the gravitational pull of the moon.

If we blow the moon up, on the other hand, it should form a belt and eventually take tides to near-zero.

So, you're saying that we should blow up the moon, right?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Last Visible Dog posted:

Holy crap, that's dire.

Alright, I gotta complain about Square, the credit card processing thingy for small businesses.

There was this local mechanic I would go to for oil changes, and I'd always save that big ol' sheet-of-paper receipt that mechanics give, 'cause why not. One time they didn't give me the receipt but instead asked for my email, and I figured they were just going paperless and gave it to them. Nope! It turns out I unwittingly gave their payment system Square my email and forever associated it with my credit card!

What does this mean, exactly? It means any time I use that credit card at any business that also uses Square, I get involuntarily signed up for any mailing list they have! Go to a local café? Guess what, here's their seasonal drinks! Go on a road trip, stop by a comic book store you'll never see again and buy something? You'll now be hearing about all their events forever after!

Yes, each email comes with the "unsubscribe" button, and I can opt out or block them one by one. But any business I go to has that chance of dropping another on my head. And if I want to "adjust my email preferences" for Square on the whole? Why, that's simple! I just have to go to the Square site and give them my goddamn phone number in order to make an account and dissociate the email that I never had knowledge nor gave consent for them to have.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Holy crap, that's dire..

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Outrail posted:

Post here every time you notice something got shittier for no good reason: Stop using Chrome

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Holy crap, that's dire.

Wow. That's at the sort of level where I'd consider changing to a different credit card and Square account for everyday use.

Not the idle "consider but never do anything about it" thing, the "get progressively angrier and only hold out for a couple of months" thing.

Comedy option: after you get a new credit card, cancel the old one and explain why. Nothing they can do about it, but funny to think of the companies fighting.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used to work for square and the amount of data they're aggregating about you is frightening. And because they're a financial institution they're allowed to aggregate and store it it attached to your PII instead of anonymizing it like most data harvesters do. They have lists of things like your known associates and how likely you are to be a financial criminal based on who you know

I'm sure most financial institutions do this, but then because Square also does marketing they tap into all that unanonymized PII-laden aggregate data for marketing purposes

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 22, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

deep dish peat moss posted:

I used to work for square and the amount of data they're aggregating about you is frightening. And because they're a financial institution they're allowed to aggregate and store it it attached to your PII instead of anonymizing it like most data harvesters do. They have lists of things like your known associates and how likely you are to be a financial criminal based on who you know

I'm sure most financial institutions do this, but then because Square also does marketing they tap into all that unanonymized PII-laden aggregate data for marketing purposes

lol I told the $2.50/item dry cleaner I worked at 12 years ago to start using Square as a processor and instead they went with Wells Fargo and bankrupted themselves

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Also I thought Square changed to "Block" because the CEO is a dumbshit coiner because wow blockchain technology totally the future and not something people have to avoid putting on a resume now!

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 22, 2024

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

Also I thought Square changed to "Block" because the CEO is a dumbshit coiner because wow blockchain technology totally the future and not something people have to avoid putting on a resume now!

they did but i think it's just a change to the parent company name and the product is still named square kind of like alphabet/google

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This is literally the first time in my four decades of life that I've seen someone espouse a preference for white bg/black text. I am legit shocked and sincerely curious.

I always prefer light mode, but then I constantly mark the text or paragraph I am reading. Helps me focus.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i use light mode during the day for most things and you would expect all modern software that has both modes to let you pick. another annoying thing about windows 11 is it does have those modes, but no option to automatically change them at a certain time of day like with apple's stuff

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

The problem with StarLink is that it is wrecking astronomy, even for space-based satellites. lovely Internet sucks, but loving up an entire field of science sucks worse. Don't support Musk in doing so.

edit: I used to be an astronomer, and this issue took me from "passionate space enthusiast" to "we should not go to space, because if we do so right now, we will just loot it and fill it with trash".

https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1988/09/15

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
always was lovely but, after throwing $20 bucks at Facebook to promote an event im doing, I immediately had phishing bots blowing up my page's inbox and its still happening. the platform is hosed

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

20 Blunts posted:

always was lovely but, after throwing $20 bucks at Facebook to promote an event im doing, I immediately had phishing bots blowing up my page's inbox and its still happening. the platform is hosed

Every time I get an etsy message alert I think "oh neat maybe someone is asking about a painting" and every time its a scammer. Ultimate let down every time.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

What is the purpose of all of the bot accounts on various platforms filled with booby pics? I assumed the profiles would link to some shady site you supposedly get more booby pics from, but they don't. I even followed a bunch of them to see if they'd DM me scams but after a month nothing has happened.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Dip Viscous posted:

What is the purpose of all of the bot accounts on various platforms filled with booby pics? I assumed the profiles would link to some shady site you supposedly get more booby pics from, but they don't. I even followed a bunch of them to see if they'd DM me scams but after a month nothing has happened.

hey that's my wife you creep

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The phone is pretty crap. I never answer when I get a phone call because it's always a scam and now they fish numbers and occasionally names.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

20 Blunts posted:

this mf paid for Facebook ...

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

this mf paid for Facebook ...

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Outrail posted:

That whole "allow sites to send push notifications" is one of the things you immediately turn off when using a new browser install. Safari and Firefox, at least, default to "ask". Does Chrome not?