Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Mesadoram posted:

Be fun if they work like D.VA, push the self destruct button and the mech just runs forward and either explodes after a few seconds or if it hits an enemy.

AC is so nice for bugs, but I do struggle against bile titans quite a bit. I usually run laser/railcannon/500k/AC. I have a few tools to take care of them, but when they are on CD I just run :shrug:.

For bugs I’ve been using my fake Demoman of GL / Supply Pack / EMS Mortar / EAT

The EAT used to reliably two shot Titans but maybe I suck. EAT cooldown is more forgiving when multiples start showing up in my experience. I’ve gotten better at least at breaking their sacks so I can at least get the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Exploding mechs and keep the limited drop count but cut the cooldown quite a bit.

Yeah it would be nice if orbital laser and mechs had their long cooldowns reduced - sometimes you can't even use up all the ammo because the cooldown is so long.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

That’s because some of you are Skyrim brained about that laser.

All hell is raining down on us and I’ll hit tab and see two guys with three laser charges each. BUT WHAT IF WE NEED IT!? Meanwhile the team is being chainsawed in a bathtub.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Black Noise posted:

All hell is raining down on us and I’ll hit tab and see two guys with three laser charges each. BUT WHAT IF WE NEED IT!? Meanwhile the team is being chainsawed in a bathtub.

sorry if *some* of us are thinking about the economy

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Black Noise posted:

I generally try to save one Orbital Laser charge for extract, but if you aren't using when poo poo is going sideways then what did you bring it for?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Be fun if they work like D.VA, push the self destruct button and the mech just runs forward and either explodes after a few seconds or if it hits an enemy.

AC is so nice for bugs, but I do struggle against bile titans quite a bit. I usually run laser/railcannon/500k/AC. I have a few tools to take care of them, but when they are on CD I just run :shrug:.

You can shoot out the sacs to stop it from puking, and if you keep shooting the underside of the butt youll eventually blow it off. Takes a lot of shots (~10 after destroying the sac) unless you soften it up with a stratagem.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

imagine the perverse incentive if they gave you an end-of-mission bonus for every unfired limited use stratagem like remaining time and extracted divers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Actually they should deduct points from your score for every unused stratagem.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Sagebrush posted:

:hmmyes:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sagebrush posted:

the Michael bay pelican landings would get even more pyrotechnic.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

If you don’t use up your budget you get it reduced! It is imperative that Eagles burn off all excess fuel that isn’t required to resupply at the super destroyer.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just let people with a support ammo backpack use a box of it to reload the mech guns. If you want you could solo reload it but that means getting out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't decide which is better between Explosive Crossbow and Plasma Punisher...and I'm not sure either one holds a candle to the Eruptor.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My favourite combo for bugs these days is stun grenades plus Quasar. As it stands there frozen while we stare each other down before my point-blank blast blows its brains out, I like to think it's sending out a hive-mind communiqué about me.

MEMORANDUM
TO: All staff
RE: This loving guy

Hey everyone,

Please kill this loving guy right here.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

"Upon which anvil shall freedom's hammer fall, helldiver?"

This game slaps so hard.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

If they're barfin', then I'm eruptin'

https://i.imgur.com/oSxqlOR.mp4

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Where's the best part to shoot the armored spewers with the explosive crossbow? I'd figured it would still be the sack, but it doesn't seem very effective.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

sorry if *some* of us are thinking about the economy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLJTgvKFZoQ

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Black Noise posted:

If you don’t use up your budget you get it reduced!

I see you have experience in corporate America.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

imagine the perverse incentive if they gave you an end-of-mission bonus for every unfired limited use stratagem like remaining time and extracted divers

If it's good enough for the US Government (use it or lose it funding), then Super Earth definitely has the same policy.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Anybody have good advice for surviving extermination missions when you have less than a full team? They spiral out hardcore once your deaths start rolling in, and the only way I've find to at least keep the objective moving is to deliberately go traitor and let the orbital strikes against you thin the herd.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Anybody have good advice for surviving extermination missions when you have less than a full team? They spiral out hardcore once your deaths start rolling in, and the only way I've find to at least keep the objective moving is to deliberately go traitor and let the orbital strikes against you thin the herd.

I usually end up running around the outside edge of the map chucking high kill low cd stratagems like cluster bombs into the base. I also take something like eruptor/impacts for max AoE damage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Bring mostly call-ins like Eagles and yeah, if I'm really overwhelmed deliberately pulling down 380s on your head isn't a bad idea.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bring 380s to extermination missions, and maybe a servo-assisted long-throw armor. Bring whatever other mortars or teslas you like to start, but once you get pushed out of the base throw a 380 over the wall and rack up like 50% or 60% progress killing everything that pushed you out in the first place. Consider the 380 to be your "phase two" of that mission. Works every time.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Awesome, I’ll keep those in mind. I’ve only just started playing, so I need to grind out a bit to get slips needed to buy those.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

CullenDaGaDee posted:

trying to survive exterminations is the wrong mindset. take only the most powerful and destructive orbitals and go apeshit

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

When I say survive I mostly just mean “last until objective completes and theoretically I can extract”.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just take four eagle strats and throw them nonstop. Anything with a multi minute cool down is too slow to be useful, and turrets get killed in seconds and then you've got nothing. The goal should be to rack up kills as fast as possible so you complete it before you get too swamped.

Four eagle strats, or three eagles and a machine gun or flamethrower. This is the way.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sagebrush posted:

I just take four eagle strats and throw them nonstop. Anything with a multi minute cool down is too slow to be useful, and turrets get killed in seconds and then you've got nothing.

Four eagle strats, or three eagles and a machine gun or flamethrower. This is the way.
75 second cooldown Gas and 80 second cooldown Gatling Barrage are good too

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I wish I knew all the ten million glitches and variables that govern Gas Strike's effectiveness

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Reiley posted:

Bring 380s to extermination missions, and maybe a servo-assisted long-throw armor. Bring whatever other mortars or teslas you like to start, but once you get pushed out of the base throw a 380 over the wall and rack up like 50% or 60% progress killing everything that pushed you out in the first place. Consider the 380 to be your "phase two" of that mission. Works every time.

A pubby started shooting me for the barrage solution in this 8 I joined on last night. That whole map was red quit edging and get it over with :argh: Acting like you weren’t going to say “skill issue” when I get mortared.

I barraged him specifically after completion then left the session since he took aim and shot me right after I reinforced. I don’t need your stinking xp :colbert:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hwurmp posted:

I wish I knew all the ten million glitches and variables that govern Gas Strike's effectiveness

There's only one, it's "be the host". They get the effective version, every other player in the lobby gets the messed up mostly non-functional version.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Someone mentioned host effectiveness in a pub session I joined, and I just hopped on mic to say “I’m the host with the most.”. They took me completely literally and recommended I bring a flamethrower and I felt vaguely sorry for them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I played one match with a pubbie who ran into a swarm of bugs as I tossed out a cluster bomb and he died. He whined on voice about teamkilling and I typed back "sorry man. it happens." We had like 17 reinforcements so who cares. He waited until the end of the mission, shot me just before I got into the pelican so I failed to extract, and then kicked me as soon as we got back to the ship. What a little bitch lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've looped completely back around on the Orbital Precision Strike, particularly if you've got The Touch or Stun Grenades. That thing can do some incredible work.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've looped completely back around on the Orbital Precision Strike, particularly if you've got The Touch or Stun Grenades. That thing can do some incredible work.

same. the call in time is kind of a bummer but it's good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It has its place as the only anti-heavy orbital that isn't single target, limited use, or a slow random area denial.

I really wish there was orbital that felt like a proper equivalent to airstrike though. Fast, moderate area, and kills heavy stuff. The closest thing now is a fully upgraded 120, but it's painfully slow.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Don't know how many people here play with randos like me, but has anyone experienced an issue where when they start and launch a mission you'll get 3 immediate people, but then once they DC/leave/whatever no-one else joins. It's like a surefire thing where nobody will join on me unless I quit out and restart the game.

It's weird.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Sagebrush posted:

I played one match with a pubbie who ran into a swarm of bugs as I tossed out a cluster bomb and he died. He whined on voice about teamkilling and I typed back "sorry man. it happens." We had like 17 reinforcements so who cares. He waited until the end of the mission, shot me just before I got into the pelican so I failed to extract, and then kicked me as soon as we got back to the ship. What a little bitch lol

You said sorry, that should be enough :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Ice Fist posted:

Don't know how many people here play with randos like me, but has anyone experienced an issue where when they start and launch a mission you'll get 3 immediate people, but then once they DC/leave/whatever no-one else joins. It's like a surefire thing where nobody will join on me unless I quit out and restart the game.

It's weird.

It’s a bug that I’ve only fixed by restarting the game.