Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

reminds me of this classic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
American Voting has no correlation with policy whatsoever.

This is a mathematically measurable truth. I have no way to act on this truth besides encouraging [redacted] or biting the literal bullet and [redacted] myself

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

if biden locked her up in february 2021 as a bipartisan gesture of goodwill he'd be cruising to re-election right now.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This is so dumb I think she's got to be trolling. But nah she is that dumb.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'll vote for the Greens if they nominate someone who isn't Jill Stein.

VVV At 70, RFK Jr. represents the youth wing of the Party.

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Apr 22, 2024

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

most polls have showed that it's young democrat-leaning voters attracted to rfk; you'll know that this one poll's showing becomes the norm when democrats back off their ballot challenges & branding efforts.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I'll vote for the Greens if they nominate someone who isn't Jill Stein.

what do you have against the good doctor stein?

she managed to fleece democrats after her loss in 2016 and for that, if for no other reason, she's vote-worthy imo.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Willa Rogers posted:

reminds me of this classic:

Lol, that hypothetical lack of insurance cumulative death total for 2021 is less than just the uninsured COVID deaths in 2021 alone.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is what I expected.

As a Democrat and a Kennedy, RFK could easily run on a platform that pulls more votes from Biden, like the Green Party does. But his campaign is about his woowoo anti-vaccine crystal magic medical beliefs, and only that and nothing else, and almost all those people became Trump voters

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

This is what I expected.

As a Democrat and a Kennedy, RFK could easily run on a platform that pulls more votes from Biden, like the Green Party does. But his campaign is about his woowoo anti-vaccine crystal magic medical beliefs, and only that and nothing else, and almost all those people became Trump voters

Nah; that's just the libs' branding of him.

I don't think he's sincere about all of this (especially about ending wars bc he's a stone zionist) but his platform is designed to appeal to disenchanted democrats far more than never-trumpers.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Oh my God lmao

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

politics is like a bus ride,

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1781120448186462407

emphasis mine, in light of the current and on-going prosecution of dissidents, up to and including just today
facing the jailing of dissidents
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1782443022644400185

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Rfk is for when you just getting enough dead kids from Israel and need to get measles and polio to kill even more.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

Nah; that's just the libs' branding of him.

I don't think he's sincere about all of this (especially about ending wars bc he's a stone zionist) but his platform is designed to appeal to disenchanted democrats far more than never-trumpers.

Ok maybe it's just what the media shows but I only see him talk about his stupid medical nonsense.

Does he talk about the other stuff much, or is this like Hillary yelling Trump bad for six months while her supporters insist that her campaign is about so much more which you'd know if you'd only read her website

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

drat, someone should tell the dnc about rfk hurting trump more than biden.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't loving wait for Trump to be elected and then literally the day after inauguration every lib politician, media figure, and pundit immediately start calling it "Trump's genocide".

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's more likely trump is labeled antisemitic for ending the war

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

drat, someone should tell the dnc about rfk hurting trump more than biden.

I don't think they care, I think they consider 3rd parties a much bigger threat to their power than Trump.

Their only argument for voting for them is they're the only alternative to Republicans so they absolutely cannot abide the existence of another alternative. And they're happy to trade power back and forth with their good friends in the Republican party. They mostly agree with them anyway and as long as the duopoly exists their power is maintained.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I wonder if Hillary Clinton ever read her website.

I bet she just hired some staffer to write something and said "uh-uh" when he emailed it for her approval, then went back to interviewing Donald Duck mascots to hold "Trump ducks his taxes" signs

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Ok maybe it's just what the media shows but I only see him talk about his stupid medical nonsense.

Does he talk about the other stuff much, or is this like Hillary yelling Trump bad for six months while her supporters insist that her campaign is about so much more which you'd know if you'd only read her website

I don't watch any of his stuff (I'm an ableist who's weirded out by his vocal disability) but I would caution you against going by "what the media show" bc it's in both parties' interests to brand him as an antivax nutter & ignore his stated platform.

I'm not voting for him but he's pulling respectable numbers in polling, which merits political junkies like us to find out why, imo. Younger people aren't antivax yet a lot of them are drawn to him, and I've been baffled as to why.

I think a lot of it has to do with "a pox on both their houses" sentiment, unsurprisingly, and he's definitely (and wisely) exploiting that sentiment. This was his first campaign ad six months ago.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Do first ladies get state funerals or just their husbands?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

should be easy enough to find out given rosalynn's recent death.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't watch any of his stuff (I'm an ableist who's weirded out by his vocal disability) but I would caution you against going by "what the media show" bc it's in both parties' interests to brand him as an antivax nutter & ignore his stated platform.

Yeah that's true it could just be the media only reporting the stupid stuff he says, but they wouldn't have so much material if he didn't talk about it a lot, also he doubled down on it with his VP pick instead of trying to broaden his message so yeah I was exaggerating for comic effect when I said his campaign is about his dumb magic beliefs and nothing else, but I probably wasn't exaggerating all that much.

I mean, I think there's a reason he takes more support from Trump.

quote:

Younger people aren't antivax yet a lot of them are drawn to him, and I've been baffled as to why.
Right, but which young people.

Most young people aren't antivax but most young people aren't voting for RFK either, so the question would be which young people are supporting him and why

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Apr 22, 2024

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm not voting for him but he's pulling respectable numbers in polling, which merits political junkies like us to find out why, imo. Younger people aren't antivax yet a lot of them are drawn to him, and I've been baffled as to why.

I think a lot of it has to do with "a pox on both their houses" sentiment, unsurprisingly, and he's definitely (and wisely) exploiting that sentiment. This was his first campaign ad six months ago.

He was the chairman of Children's Health Defense who explicitly believed that vaccines cause autism.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

One of these days it's gonna be her turn again (to lose).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gumball Gumption posted:

He was the chairman of Children's Health Defense who explicitly believed that vaccines cause autism.

don’t let perfect be the enemy of good

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I mean, I think there's a reason he takes more support from Trump.

Only in 2 surveys out of the last dozen or so. Meanwhile, democrats keep trying to brand him as a maga plant, instead of painting his candidacy like he's a threat to biden, not trump.

quote:

Right, but which young people.

Most young people aren't antivax but most young people aren't voting for RFK either, so the question would be which young people are supporting him and why

As I said, step back from the media/lib echo chamber & look beyond the antivax: Young people are very much in the "pox on both their houses" camp & less inclined to, say, buy into the Save Our Democracy, Especially From the Russkies bullshit.

We'd need some frank luntz-style focus groups to find out why, and which, young people are attracted to kennedy but everyone (including me) thought from the jump it'd be low-info boomer libs supporting him out of kennedy nostalgia and the polling really hasn't showed that.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Apr 22, 2024

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

yes, we know, bc libs won't stfu about it.

but as his platform page as well as polling shows, he's definitely appealing on the basis of other reasons, too.

I'm not making the argument that he's not anti-vax; he is. I'm making the argument to look beyond how libs have branded him & find out where his support is coming from.

if it were simply from anti-vax never-trumpers the democrats wouldn't be so intent on knocking him off ballots, nor that invested in their branding of him.

why would the trump anti-vax crowd choose rfk over trump? It doesn't make sense.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

yeah, there's an easy explanation for why he's pulling respectable numbers: both main party candidates are historically unpopular, and young people are more likely than old people to react to that by signaling their displeasure

interesting that we're getting our first british style election: not only does the wider population despise both candidates, the party hierarchy also despises them

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm old enough to remember perot's 1992 campaign, which echoed a lot of the themes of this year's election.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It would be very funny if Trump chose RFK Jr. as Vice President.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
being antivax isn't a dealbreaker. not sure it ever was. the current vice president is antivax. it doesnt matter.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm old enough to remember perot's 1992 campaign, which echoed a lot of the themes of this year's election.

Unironically I think perot winning(or at least being a clear second) would have changed history for the better.

Despite all his ideas being poo poo

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Is the gop even running anti-rfk ads or trying to brand him as a lib? His stated platform (other than the anti-vax stuff) would seem to make it easy for them to do, but I haven't seen them funding ratfucking campaigns against him, and till these latest polls came along the democrats kept pointing out the maga millionaire who was pouring money into rfk's campaign.

The hit dogs that I've seen holler about rfk are all democrats.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Is the gop even running anti-rfk ads or trying to brand him as a lib? His stated platform (other than the anti-vax stuff) would seem to make it easy for them to do, but I haven't seen them funding ratfucking campaigns against him, and till these latest polls came along the democrats kept pointing out the maga millionaire who was pouring money into rfk's campaign.

The hit dogs that I've seen holler about rfk are all democrats.

libs have been making articles in various publications that show RFK Jr. hurts Trump more than Biden. So they're very very desperate to make him a thing, you're right.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Trump has called him a left wing radical compared to Joe

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I ran into someone whose response to "more people died of covid under Biden than trump" was "the deaths under Trump were preventable" :shepicide:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quote:

Sydin, Bernie Sanders here.

I've recently written a best-selling book entitled, "It's OK To Be Angry About Capitalism." It has just been re-published in paperback.

It's a good book. It's an important book. It deals with issues that too few people in Congress or the media are discussing.

Please make a donation of $27 - or whatever you can afford today - and we will give you a copy of the book. Use this link:

[REDACTED]

-Bernie
Stop2Stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Gumball Gumption posted:

Trump has called him a left wing radical compared to Joe

biden is extremely conservative so this tracks