Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

PhazonLink posted:

is it true that twitter (and youtube) allow you to pre post/upload stuff and then set a post date and time?

like why would don waste his lunch break(?) posting about that.

There is no lunch break. Court is over for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Lifespan posted:

I'm confused by the Trump bond. He had to commit $175m in assets, but not real estate, so they provided an account with that amount of value. The hearing today was that they could potentially invest that money in different ways that would impact the value, so the agreement was to keep it in cash. That seems like the bond issuers problem more than the state's, but whatever. Traditionally bonds act more like loans, so it's odd to me that in order to hold it they need to have the full amount in cash on hand. I assume the goal of keeping the money on hand for Trump is that they will at least make interest on that large amount, but what's in it for the bond company? If it was more profitable to have the cash and gain interest why wouldn't the bond company just do that? If the bond was so expensive that the interest doesn't make up for it, why didn't Trump just make the payment in cash and not deal with a bond?

For these kinds of loans, different pieces of collateral have different values.

Cash and government bonds are the highest value collateral against the loan, followed by mutual funds and the kind of stocks normal people own.

High risk, low value, and volatile stocks usually can't be pledged as collateral or will have very little collateral value. There is no way that a financial institution would accept Truth Social stock as collateral. It's garbage and they all know it.

The fact that they're having this discussion means Trump is trying to get away with putting up the absolute bare minimum of collateral needed to secure this bond. Probably something like $185MM in cash. If he takes any of that and removes it or even invests it in Apple or something, it will fall below the minimum amount of collateral acceptable for the loan.

If he was putting in $300MM of blue chip stock, it wouldn't be an issue. You generally can't do shady margins and option stuff in a specialized collateral account. I guarantee that every single transaction in that account will be scrutinized.

Bottom line -- dude is not nearly as rich as he says and is doing risky stock moves with whatever investments he has left. Just as we expected.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I can’t go support Trump in New York right now. What if I tase my balls next?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

$DJT is almost at $36, keep pumping everything you have into that garbage, chuds!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

explosivo posted:

Friend at work (registered democrat) is saying how cool it would be if enough people wrote undecided in the primary tomorrow to "make biden poo poo his depends" because "things are significantly worse across most fronts with a few good bills signed here and there with Biden". I'm like I get why you would feel that way but unfortunately this is the guy you have to vote for this time to make sure a fascism doesn't happen and I can't let that be on my conscience if I don't vote Biden and he loses the popular vote to Trump.

Why is it the time for him to concede his political will and not Biden's time to concede that an unpopular atrocity isn't the best platform for fighting fascism?

It is a power struggle between parts of the left, whether you frame it as "getting behind your candidate" or "making sure your candidate isn't going to piss off a majority of voters" is down to what you think is possible and what you think is important.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kaschei posted:

Why is it the time for him to concede his political will and not Biden's time to concede that an unpopular atrocity isn't the best platform for fighting fascism?

It is a power struggle between parts of the left, whether you frame it as "getting behind your candidate" or "making sure your candidate isn't going to piss off a majority of voters" is down to what you think is possible and what you think is important.
I suspect OPs co worker was not motivated by the Levant horror show given the cited motive

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

MrMojok posted:

LOL, they could remove all security entirely from the courthouse and he still isn’t going to have his giant braying chud mob, because they all convinced every gathering is infiltrated by glowies

Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
It's awesome how many times, openly, he can break the law and the courts just go "I mean, that scamp did it AGAIN!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Same

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If only there was a chyron hall of fame

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling?

Alt right slang for intelligence/fbi/cops. Basically "you're so out of place posting here you're glowing"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Gotta admit I was hoping for more today, when I saw there were only 600 unread posts I had a bad feeling.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

sharknado slashfic posted:

Gotta admit I was hoping for more today, when I saw there were only 600 unread posts I had a bad feeling.

Civil fraud case keeps getting built up like they are going to evict Trump TOMORROW! and it just never happens. Fact is, it's pretty mundane and it's going to take a long time to resolve.

The criminal case was pretty amusing. The defense's opening arguments were pretty weak and got yelled at by the judge TWICE.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

sharknado slashfic posted:

The court played right into Trump's hand when they forced Trump to put up the money they demanded in the fashion they demanded it

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

lol thank you for this gift, I almost missed it

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I heard that they had to end court early today because the smell from the defendant's side was so bad, can anyone confirm?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Outpost22 posted:

I heard that they had to end court early today because the smell from the defendant's side was so bad, can anyone confirm?

It's true, I saw it on snopes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So my understanding is that they did not let TRump off the hook and he has to secure the 185 million but he secured it with stock? Is that what the agreement was.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Now that Trump has violated the gag order I am irrationally hoping that the judge makes him spend one night in jail, Trump would loving lose his mind.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

:laffo:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Outpost22 posted:

Yes, it was closed because of pass over, ie the smell passed over from the defendant’s side to the bench and the judge had to be evacuated for health reasons.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Outpost22 posted:

It's true, the smell of his farts passed over the prosecution and they had to call it for the day.

God drat it I had to do my job for a minute instead of posting and got wrecked

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Hollismason posted:

Ao my understanding is that they did not let Teump off the hook and he has to secure the 185 million but he secured it with stock?

The issue is Trump secured the bond with an account he still had control over and was allow to manipulate. The court said he can still secure the bond with the account but he couldn't maintain control over it.

The whole thing seems super weird, it made sense (In the interest of Trump) to keep control over the account but now he doesn't control the account so I don't understand why he doesn't just post the cash bond? He is effectively paying someone to have the same non-access to his money.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Apparently the court system is going to publish daily transcripts

Can't wait for the Trump ones

https://ww2.nycourts.gov/press/index.shtml

I need this to be acted out in radio play style or on YouTube. I would pay a subscription fee for this assuming good quality.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Now that Trump has violated the gag order I am irrationally hoping that the judge makes him spend one night in jail, Trump would loving lose his mind.

im hearing rumours that trump is penning a short memoir based on his struggle and describing his ideology from behind bars

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

The issue is Trump secured the bond with an account he still had control over and was allow to manipulate. The court said he can still secure the bond with the account but he couldn't maintain control over it.

The whole thing seems super weird, it made sense (In the interest of Trump) to keep control over the account but now he doesn't control the account so I don't understand why he doesn't just post the cash bond? He is effectively paying someone to have the same non-access to his money.

I think it’s that he “has” the $175M but that it’s that it’s partially locked up in assets that aren’t easily liquidated and that he could sell them if needed, but as long as the ruling is being appealed he doesn’t have cause to sell the assets because he may win (lmao).

It feels like horseshit from start to finish but as another poster said earlier, that’s $175M in assets he’s sure to lose out on and he’s still collecting interest daily so :lol:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Listen up, all you young people on Truth Social...

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Yes, the very partisan Tiktok vote was all Biden's doing, let's take a look at that first vote to ban in March -

How could Joe Biden do this!!!

God, he's just so loving stupid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Three Olives posted:

Insh'allah

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

funeral home DJ posted:

I think it’s that he “has” the $175M but that it’s that it’s partially locked up in assets that aren’t easily liquidated and that he could sell them if needed, but as long as the ruling is being appealed he doesn’t have cause to sell the assets because he may win (lmao).

It feels like horseshit from start to finish but as another poster said earlier, that’s $175M in assets he’s sure to lose out on and he’s still collecting interest daily so :lol:

I think he had to secure it in cash, not real estate.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I was just watching Bio-dome on Tubi. Wow I didn't get any of these jokes when i saw it as a child. A Blue Velvet joke when they are huffing nitrous? And nitrous is a REAL gas you can suck to get high!? I digress. At the end of the movie there is a scene that only alerted me because I was only half paying attention. But it made me look up at the tv. I know I'm not the first person to make this observation, but anyway...

Towards the end of the movie they are all celebrating at night. I'm going to lay out the pieces and any interested parties can put together what I'm laying down:

In the scene there is a hoard of white men chanting and marching and holding tiki torches. What are they chanting? Why, it's the main characters' names, played by Paulie Shore and a Baldwin. Ok I'll give you a hint, I guess this is the movie's German boxart, lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ERECTION INTERFERENCE!!!!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Data Graham posted:

"closed up like a drum"

You've never wondered what it's like to be one of the tiny people imprisoned inside drums who make the drum noise when you tap it??? Guess you're not very presidential...

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Imagine going back 5 years and showing people this is something he actually writes 5 years from now, lol

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I had to read your post twice but ultimately felt like it was worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Pantone catalogues are really going to poo poo these days.