Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Jack's Flow posted:

The Athletic has posted their yearly anonymous player poll. The Gobert hate will never stop. He’s ranked 5th behind Wemby, Jrue, Lu, Herb and Jaden McDaniels (tie).

He did finish first in the Most Overrated poll though. 5% ahead of Jordan Poole.

https://theathletic.com/5433545/2024/04/22/nba-player-poll-2024-lebron-jordan-goat-celtics-nuggets-rudy-gobert-timberwolves/

Players grossly overrate iso defense, which doesn't tell you who is a good defender, but might tell you about who is dumb on offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Players grossly overrate iso defense, which doesn't tell you who is a good defender, but might tell you about who is dumb on offense.

That may be true, but that also wouldn't explain why Wemby won the defensive player poll. Especially with these quotes:

quote:

“He just makes it so hard to finish at the rim,” one opponent said of Wembanyama.

Another player said: “He’s changing the game. Players — you can’t say ‘scared’ — but he’s changing their shots. He deserves it.”

“He really, like, affects everything in the paint. He has dudes not even trying to go to the rim. He drat near leads the league in blocks right now, and this is his first year. He’s doing it in limited time too.”

Gobert is always gonna be disliked by the players in general and I do hope the Wolves win one title with him just so he can lord it over the league once.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Kick whoever voted Paul Pierce as the greatest player of all time out of the league.

edit: lmao at how that survey article ends
"When an NBA player named Cousins as his favorite current non-NBA athlete, the response elicited a dumbfounded “Why?” from one writer from The Athletic.

The NBA player said: 'Kirk Cousins because he gets paid and doesn’t have to win or don’t have to do anything and made $400 million off of one playoff win. Legend.'"

Based

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

There’s just something about Gobert’s game that his peers don’t like. Maybe the skepticism stems from a lack of playoff success, as none of Gobert’s teams have advanced to the conference finals. Or maybe it all traces back to the bubble in 2020 when the Clippers’ Terance Mann buried all those 3s over Gobert in the West semifinals and sparked serious scrutiny about the perceived limitations of the big man’s game.
very minor mistake but the clippers and the jazz famously did not play each other in the bubble western semis.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

anakha posted:

That may be true, but that also wouldn't explain why Wemby won the defensive player poll. Especially with these quotes:

Gobert is always gonna be disliked by the players in general and I do hope the Wolves win one title with him just so he can lord it over the league once.

Fair point. Might have something to do with perceived athleticism. It's not embarrassing to get slapped down by Wemby.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The players are still upset about Gobert shutting down the whole league

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Put up the NBA Draft Thread for sickos here.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I’m not sure I agree that Rudy Gobert is overrated, but he’s at least qualified to be overrated inasmuch as he’s generally rated highly. Who even thinks that about Jordan Poole anymore?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Pordan Joole

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

rjmccall posted:

I’m not sure I agree that Rudy Gobert is overrated, but he’s at least qualified to be overrated inasmuch as he’s generally rated highly. Who even thinks that about Jordan Poole anymore?

wizards front office?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/MagicJohnson/status/1782505126634373371

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

I want 10 Nuggets to score double figures tonight.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
50/50 whether AD will score in double figures tonight

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1782197654086160642

DeRozan (wtf is Clutch award)
Gobert
Coby White (though Maxey is a good choice, I like the "come out of nowhere" thing with White though)
SGA (though I am actively giving Jokic a higher bar)
Wemby
Naz Reid
Mark Daigneault

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder who the alts are for Team USA. I assume Embiid and probably Kawhi won't be going now.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Lakers are stealing this one, the next, and even the next one unless they don't. So it goes.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

https://x.com/TheStrickland/status/1782412833449205818

Thibs got jokes

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Corey loving Kispert is by far the best Lana Del Rey album

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
nesmith, shepherd, smith and nembhard were out there slipping on banana peels, stepping on rakes, running into paintings on the sides of cliffs and falling into open manholes, hali took like 6 shots and missed them all, TJ ruined every possession he could, they played almost no defence and as a team shot so badly that beyond pascal (and eventually myles sorta) they might as well have been a high school team and they still almost caught back up from 30 below.

you could see the young guys knees shaking in the first half they were so jumpy and anxious. hopefully they get over the jitters and join pascal in playing basketball because the bucks aren't that good.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The Lakers are stealing this one, the next, and even the next one unless they don't. So it goes.

It’s the most competitive sweep in nba history

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://x.com/shamscharania/status/1782546054749036883?s=46

This coaching search does not seem to be going well

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

morestuff posted:

Surely there are top assistants that would transform the club…? Wouldn’t you want a Daignault?? A Hardy??? A Mazzulla??

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
When you have a chance to hire a guy who complains about how hard it is to coach fourth graders on his podcast, you gotta do it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Best case scenario the gig is Charles Lee’s and they’re just pushing off announcing it until they finish negotiations / the Celtics are eliminated, and they’re doing favors for guys like Jerry Stackhouse and Reddick in the meantime.

Worst case scenario they are being turned down by everybody

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

morestuff posted:

If anyone has a basketball podcast they might be able to land this job over him.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Presumably NBA players are more coachable than 4th graders.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

anakha posted:

maybe gobert is underrated on defense because you don't have to interact with him when you simply pull up for a jumper and bypass that part of the defense entirely

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

teams are aware that they can hire people besides ESPN commentators as coaches right?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i take that back, i want someone to hire stephen a smith

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

teams are aware that they can hire people besides ESPN commentators as coaches right?

There's a Jeff Saturday just hiding there for all the major sports and you just have to find him.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Dribble hand-off, things of that nature

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I want Coach Perk

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Presumably NBA players are more coachable than 4th graders.

Have we considered giving 4th graders millions of dollars and seeing how that goes?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

Have we considered giving 4th graders millions of dollars and seeing how that goes?

I'd settle for free lunches.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

A Perfect Twist posted:

If anyone has a basketball podcast they might be able to land this job over him.

I would love to see Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson co coach a team

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

OzFactor posted:

When you have a chance to hire a guy who complains about how hard it is to coach fourth graders on his podcast, you gotta do it

It's the Hornets, he was coaching these players about three years ago

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You want a coach that can afford to buy the juice boxes and orange slices.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I bet capri suns would buy the hornets at least 1-2 wins a year

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Knicks baby love da Knicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Sixers fumbling a win literally is pretty fun