Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Tell me about Kingdom Come Deliverance. I see that it's on deep discount right now and I could use something to play after my surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
She's three and now she can never ever have whatever thing it was. Devastating for a three year old. Quite possibly the worst thing ever.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Bumper Stickup posted:

Tell me about Kingdom Come Deliverance. I see that it's on deep discount right now and I could use something to play after my surgery.

it's good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqwcJeeJZ8Y

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The guy is right though? Deactivating servers for a game so that you can no longer play it sucks. It's like someone came into your house and tore up a book you thought you owned.

"it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it", etc etc

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Animal Crossing falls into a kind of weird territory due to its active service elements, though. It's almost like discontinuing a PVP shooter game or something.

I guess you could leave it as a really depressing hollowed-out Animal Crossing with no events, or ideally set up some infinite event rotation (though not sure how doable that would be)

Bumper Stickup posted:

It's pretty cool so far. I'm about to play it some more right now in fact.

Definitely worth picking up for the huge discount price IMO

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Apr 23, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am excited that ubisoft and the crew have created a gamers effort to stop this but it will never happen

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

err posted:

yup. hes at like 200 energy drinks reviewed in an excel spreadsheet

i subscribe to his patreon but honestly he puts out too much content for me to follow all of it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bumper Stickup posted:

i found it dense and impenetrable but i only gave it a good four hours of poking around. it's bloated and isn't particularly optimized but all i've heard is that if you stick it out it's pretty rewarding. i'll go back to it someday, maybe also after a surgery

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wasn't the GB thread killed by "GB is real and they are my friends I'll defend them against anything" types?

there were definitely a bunch of people like that who would only show up in a mob if somebody posted in the mostly dead thread that they didnt like [thing/person] and scream about the posters not being normal

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I scooped it for the $8 because why but at that price. may be my next game after whenever I finish y8

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

gradenko_2000 posted:

The guy is right though? Deactivating servers for a game so that you can no longer play it sucks. It's like someone came into your house and tore up a book you thought you owned.

"it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it", etc etc
The game apparently works fine but a completely non-essential online feature was retired:
https://nookipedia.com/wiki/Dream

I do not own any Animal Crossing game and I'm annoyed that I had to link something from "nookipedia" but here we are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

i say swears online posted:

i found it dense and impenetrable but i only gave it a good four hours of poking around. it's bloated and isn't particularly optimized but all i've heard is that if you stick it out it's pretty rewarding. i'll go back to it someday, maybe also after a surgery

IMO it's best to stick to the main story for a while. When I tried googling information, I quickly became overwhelmed because apparently a lot of insane people play this game and the only guide on GameFaqs is some guy who is like "so in the prologue town you need to pickpocket everyone and break into their houses so you can cap those skills early, and repeatedly knock out guards to level up stealth."

The actual core gameplay is pretty reasonable and easy to understand. The combat system is really cool and explained pretty well once you reach the point in the story that properly explains it to you in full. You have a map with quest stuff marked on it. You have to drink/sleep, but it's very forgiving with those things. You can fast travel (though time passes during it and I think later you can run into "events" in the process of doing so).

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it's a roleplaying game

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

it's a roleplaying game

I love those!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It's fine, got up its own rear end on realism which it didnt really live up to in a lot of ways and the main plot is possibly the most boring thing you can do with the setting. The side quest where you get poo poo faced with a village priest and get a rundown on the lead up to the hussite rebellion is more interesting than every main quest in the game combined

The literacy mechanic is dope tho

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Agean90 posted:

Lmao what

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bumper Stickup posted:

It's a medieval peasant simulator, especially so if you like me decided not to do the main quest immediately after the game opens up (and hence don't get a bunch of gear and training to give you an edge). I liked that though because it made the game incredibly difficult and sold the simulated experience.

However it's also a game that fucks up said experience by showing you all this through the devs idea of what those medieval times were rather than proper historical fact half of the time. On the one hand you have a mostly accurate depiction of how various craftsmen operated and were treated by society, on the other you have a straight up fantasy depiction of the main antagonist faction and their mercenaries. You have a map that corresponds sort of well with the actual map and then you have armor pieces from the wrong era and which wouldn't even exist in that area. Some of the things they did was done to keep the game fun but a lot of the time it seems they made choices based on their own biases.

I had fun with it, mainly because it involved a very slow and methodical leveling process with neat perks and ways to beat challenges.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Agean90 posted:

Wait hold up. What?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ur an illiterate medieval trade apprentice from a lovely peasant village if you want to be able to read you need to learn, it's pretty cool you go from words just being jumbles of letters to seeing words but they might not be the correct word or it's a homophone and on until you can just read it like normal

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Okay this game sounds cool. Gonna pick it up and play after I finish the system shock remake.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

get it before the 25th if you want the super deal

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bumper Stickup posted:

it's good, kind of like deus ex but instead of crawling through vents you live the entire life of a C13th failson

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Agean90 posted:

ur an illiterate medieval trade apprentice from a lovely peasant village if you want to be able to read you need to learn, it's pretty cool you go from words just being jumbles of letters to seeing words but they might not be the correct word or it's a homophone and on until you can just read it like normal

Lmao that’s awesome. I don’t think I’d enjoy a game that went in quite that hard but I definitely appreciate it exists

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Agean90 posted:

It's fine, got up its own rear end on realism which it didnt really live up to in a lot of ways and the main plot is possibly the most boring thing you can do with the setting. The side quest where you get poo poo faced with a village priest and get a rundown on the lead up to the hussite rebellion is more interesting than every main quest in the game combined

I just mean up until things are at least decently explained. You don't really have the tools to intuitively run off and start questing or whatever until you reach Rattay.

I tried doing more stuff prior to this and just got very confused, but now I have some equipment and know the basics of how to fight, so it's more doable.

I also think you get a horse at some point in the story, which sounds like it'd be difficult to grind for earlier than that unless you already know great ways to make money, and that would be a huge quality of life thing.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i like the horses

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
im gonna replay kcd soon i guess

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'd highly recommend at least completing the "Mysterious Ways" main quest before doing any major exploring. After that you'll have the basics: weapons, armor, a horse, combat fundamentals, and yes, the ability to read.

rudecyrus has issued a correction as of 04:30 on Apr 23, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bumper Stickup posted:

Wait hold up. What?

it's historically accurate that most people at the time were illiterate, and that includes you, so you can't read unless you find someone to teach you

EDIT: can't resist reposting this classic

https://twitter.com/akoz33/status/1232052025514496002

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
train with bernard or die

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Cuttlefush posted:

train with bernard or die

also this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One thing Discworld does that's awesome and almost unique is that in a pre modern setting, anachronistic as it is, many people are semi literate at best and have learned from different places and in different ways. Men At Arms has a fun running gag with the watch reports where Carrot as well as being terrible with writing starts out writing everything like a letter to his parents, and a dwarf writes like a Viking saga. And Fred Colon is actually the most on form, since he's been doing it for years and has been brushing up.

And another book has mention of a character who's probably got a mental disability who writes very neatly because he's careful and thoughtful about it.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
you can beat that cuman though without training if you're a real chad

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Cuttlefush posted:

and if you're bad you can beat the tourney through the ole "hug n' bonk" method

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Bought it. Can't wait to never read a book in game.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

The Joe Man posted:

and if you're bad you can beat the tourney through the ole "hug n' bonk" method

the ravens beak combo that ends up with a bonk right on the nose

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

What happens if you win that fight? Do his buddies just attack you in a cutscene or something?

Also, is it possible to kill the rear end in a top hat you run into soon before that? I actually initially got killed by him in a fistfight before realizing I could take my sword out, at which point he ran away (and then brought back the guys who owned me).

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ytlaya posted:

What happens if you win that fight? Do his buddies just attack you in a cutscene or something?

Also, is it possible to kill the rear end in a top hat you run into soon before that? I actually initially got killed by him in a fistfight before realizing I could take my sword out, at which point he ran away (and then brought back the guys who owned me).

it's been so long i kinda forget. there is at least one different outcome accounted for if you divert or kill some of the cumans. I'll definitely screw with it when I reinstall soon... as soon as I'm "done" with nioh 2

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

kids need to learn about the impermanence of life and since all the bugs outside are dead we now learn from the bugs inside

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i will continue playing chiv 2, in which i can make my avatar shout WHORE BITS and MOTHERS CUNNY CRUST

Agean90 posted:

this is compelling, however. can you win as an illiterate drunkard?

Chard has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

it's been so long i kinda forget. there is at least one different outcome accounted for if you divert or kill some of the cumans. I'll definitely screw with it when I reinstall soon... as soon as I'm "done" with nioh 2

you need to finish snowrunner hardcore mode first