Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lobok posted:

Or just allow some kind of Favourites system. I'm really not perusing the entire menu each time.

I mean, yeah, that's been requested since day one. Until which time that happens, you gotta use the system you got. :shrug:

I have like 4ish loadouts already, it would be nice to save those, instead of selecting them each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Hell yes, I love machine gun personal objectives. Everyone running around renacting Rambo/Predator. I swear we were just being sent tons of trash mobs too and all of us ended up with 350+ kills.

It might not be a good weapon, but it's very satisfying to use.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lobok posted:

Or just allow some kind of Favourites system. I'm really not perusing the entire menu each time.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Thank democracy for bug carcasses, I would have been squished

The only good bug is in a pile of dead bugs. Stack 'em!

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Sindai posted:

It has its place as the only anti-heavy orbital that isn't single target, limited use, or a slow random area denial.

I really wish there was orbital that felt like a proper equivalent to airstrike though. Fast, moderate area, and kills heavy stuff. The closest thing now is a fully upgraded 120, but it's painfully slow.

I wish 120 was like orbital gatling or Airburst but 3 medium booms at a time.

Like boomboomboom....boomboomboom instead of boom..boom..boom

Zwabu posted:

Is there any use for the mine strategems aside from teamkilling your squad?

Seems like something I only see from new/low level players since it's one of the cheaper strategems low on the tree you can get early. Have had fools mine half the extract pad, or put big minefields around the map.

I could maybe potentially see it in a defense mission but it seems like in every case napalm or sentries or literally anything would be better.

No, and even in defense missions anyone calling in a strat that actually kills things blows up half your mines anyways.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Did the machine gun personal order on some solo 4s and goddamn I forgot how much that weapon sucks. Stationary slow reloads just feel unnecessary for the amount of fire power you are throwing down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it also has a pathetic amount of ammo. for the amount of damage and the reload time you should get 4 boxes, not 2

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
all I'll say about mines is that taking 2 mines to kill a hunter is depressing

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you want a mortar that only targets a specific spot, fires only a few times, and gets removed by basically any other ordinance being lobbed at what is presumably a group of enemies you want killed, then boy are mines for you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
don't forget how after enemies walk through the middle of the minefield, the path enemies are pathing through will now be clear, but the mines on the sides will still lie around to explode unsuspecting teammates moving on to new objectives

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

If you want a mortar that only targets a specific spot, fires only a few times, and gets removed by basically any other ordinance being lobbed at what is presumably a group of enemies you want killed, then boy are mines for you.

Getting removed by any other ordinance is a big weakness, I also like tesla tower for bugs but the many times I throw it into a pass behind the team or off to the side of a breach to draw bugs away and thin it out and some 'helpful' ally sees that 'oh look there's a lot of bugs, time for eagle airstrike'. Mines don't help themselves in that regard, someone always sees a clump of enemies and thinks its airstriking time.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Basic MG is great vs bugs. Mows down anything smaller than a charger

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

johnny park posted:

Basic MG is great vs bugs. Mows down anything smaller than a charger

It'll be a lot better when that final upgrade bug is fixed so it gives you full mags on Resupply instead of the current miserable 1.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

its kinda crazy that you cant get a full reload for the grenade pistol using all four resupplies

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Insane how good the Quasar cannon is. Being able to kill two chargers every minute is super useful.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's very good but EATs can also do that :ssh:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

you can kill 3 chargers a minute with the EATs if youre really good

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I tried the "stand on the helipad" defense strategy and can't recommend it against bots, because sometimes it causes factory striders to turn around and shoot the generators they have a clear LOS to when you draw their attention there.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

you can kill 3 chargers a minute with the EATs if youre really good

Like I said ABLE to kill two a minute

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

its kinda crazy that you cant get a full reload for the grenade pistol using all four resupplies

But you get one back from every ammo box in the world you grab, which goes a long way!

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The basic machine gun can go through 2 or 3 bug patrols or most of a breach before needing to reload, and said reload is pretty fast if you don't fully empty it. It's really solid, really good at killing little fellas before they can call for help.

If you're constantly running dry, make sure you're only shooting living enemies. It only takes a couple rounds to drop most stuff. If you need to full auto mag dump while screaming the HMG emplacement or stalwart has your back.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Welp 3/10 defenses, soon to be four by the time I wake up most likely.

Looks like another failed Major Order.

Also gently caress you Estanu.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

tonight's last match... right as we're finishing a bug hole next to extraction for our last goal.. one of my teammates asks the other whats wrong and then one of them starts bawling and talking about how she can't find anyone to get her child care tomorrow (i assume while she's working) and she's kind of just venting the entire time we're going to evac and while we're holding evac for the pelican to arrive... i honestly didn't know if i should interject or not so i just kinda listened... at the end when we get back onto the ship i try to line myself up for the hug emote unfortunately whoever hosting the match left and i got kicked back to my ship :smith:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

This seems like some weird oversight. The grenade pistol is a really great compliment to a lot of loadouts simply because it can close bug holes and blow up factories but it's significantly weaker than impacts, I'd assume it's weaker than the GL too. It really should get two back from world pickups and at least three or four from resupplies.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
On the other hand, it's the same number of grenades you get from a resupply, and you don't get any grenades from ammo boxes.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The Eruptor is pushing all the right buttons in my head, there's no going back.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Riatsala posted:

The Eruptor is pushing all the right buttons in my head, there's no going back.

It's so good I'm worried it's gonna get nerfed.

Kopmala
Mar 28, 2024

thotsky posted:

Hell yes, I love machine gun personal objectives. Everyone running around renacting Rambo/Predator. I swear we were just being sent tons of trash mobs too and all of us ended up with 350+ kills.

It might not be a good weapon, but it's very satisfying to use.

Yea, it's great when five bile titans appear, and no one on your team can put one down.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Had exactly that happen with my first missile defense of the day. Two MG, one HMG, and me with a Spear. We had a few ORCs but that simply wasn't enough when the game decided the spawns would be bile titan heavy.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

On that note some friends and I had several of those games last night. We had done a couple of level 9 defences and done well, then the next one just decided to spawn Bile Titans instead of Hunters I guess because we just ended up with 4 or 5 marching towards us at all times. There’s only so much you can do in that situation and inevitably we were overrun.

In situations like that you feel like you’ve lost through no fault of your own, the game just decided to gently caress you over with unfortunate spawn mechanics. It’s not a great feeling because it feels futile to play in those situations.

When this happens I feel the absence of a “director” ala Left 4 Dead series which purportedly worked to engineer situations where you would have loads of stuff thrown at you, but also moments of calm so you aren’t constantly overwhelmed. As far as I can make out HD2 has no cap on chaos, every bug breach can spawn a Bile Titan if you’re unlucky, and every bug can decide to call one. There’s obviously a number of rolls of the dice to make this happen but if they all just go against you then you can rapidly end up in a situation you simply cannot deal with with the tools you have, due to cooldowns etc.

On the generator defence missions this is particularly galling because at least on the normal missions you can usually abandon what you’re doing and run somewhere else on the map. Obviously you can’t do that on those missions.

So, yeah, I feel like there needs to be some kind of oversight on the number of “points” the enemy has at any given time, like a spawn pool, e.g. you can only have 3 Bile Titans active at once, and a BT subtracts from a pool of points that the enemy could spend on smaller stuff, etc. This points pool could ebb and flow so it’s not predictable, and the cap could go up if you’re not decreasing it fast enough, but it also means that you don’t just get straight up hosed beyond any control by consecutive, unrelenting bad dice rolls.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 23, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Got a late night session in and got the Shield Devastator heavy spawn. Hate those guys. They aren't fun in the slightest and punch way above their weight.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just click the heads with an autocannon, whats the issue

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Sindai posted:

I tried the "stand on the helipad" defense strategy and can't recommend it against bots, because sometimes it causes factory striders to turn around and shoot the generators they have a clear LOS to when you draw their attention there.

Yeah, I don't know why that defense strategy is even a thing. Defending the missile launches is pretty straightforward, and this plan/loadout below has produced successful extracts the most consistently for me.

Everyone needs to bring the following (in order of descending priority):
1) Some form of EMP - either EMP mortar or EMP orbital.
2) Some form of heavy AT support weapon - Recoilless/Sir Carl is a preferred choice, but EAT rear end and Queso Cheese Cannon are equally effective.
3) Some form of heavy orbital or Eagle heavy AT/HE asset - Eagle Airstrikes, Eagle 500kg, 120mm (gently caress you if you bring 380s, even with the 15% buff), orbital laser, orbital railcannon.
4) Another orbital, Eagle, heavy support weapon (AMR paired with EAT rear end is good) or the autocannon turret or the HE mortar (the one time where I'd actually ask for it).

Close doors one at a time, starting with the outermost pair, and just go defense-in-depth. The key points are to keep EMPs constantly going and kill as many dropships as possible before or right as they've dropped off their cargo. During lulls, drop supplies and support weapons behind your lines to keep up the rate of fire when the waves do hit.

Medium armor/power weapons such as the autocannon, grenade launcher and laser cannon are adequate, but the bots will be pushing the limits of what those weapons can do.

Teslas towers, mines, anything antipersonnel-specific, the railgun even on unsafe mode, and light/medium machineguns won't cut it for this defense - they either lack the damage or raw firepower needed to slow down the medium and heavy waves coming through those doors.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 23, 2024

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's a thing because one player can lock down half the map, shooting drop ships, dropping orbitals, or hitting stuff in the back, all in almost complete safety.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Welp 3/10 defenses, soon to be four by the time I wake up most likely.

Looks like another failed Major Order.

Also gently caress you Estanu.

This one was never going to be achievable. The community seems to complete about one planet a day on average, two at best when everyone focuses, and they gave us ten to defend on a 5 day order. That's not enough time even with the community focused, and of course when everyone splits up it's much slower because of the constant attrition on each planet. I suspect it's intentional to make up for the 3 day bug killing order that was completed in 18 hours. Gotta have some failures to let them press the attack closer to Super Earth for the story I assume they are going to do.

Doesn't bother me! Who cares about 50 medals? That's like four or five level 7+ missions. I'm all about the super credits these days :homebrew:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 23, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I actually had pretty decent success with an MG and a supply backpack plus my usual Eagle Airstrikes and Orbital Railcannon on Suicide Missions against bots. You need your stratagems to deal with heavies and an explosive primary (Scorcher for me) to rapidly eliminate Scout Striders, but it merrily chews through anything and everything else, and especially Berserker packs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Apparently the striders can hit the generators without anyone on the helipad, so maybe the answer is actually that you want someone on the helipad to take out their top turret asap, or to drop smoke, or something like that.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Sindai posted:

On the other hand, it's the same number of grenades you get from a resupply, and you don't get any grenades from ammo boxes.

one resupply gives two full belts of grenades for the launcher

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They're talking compared to a normal no GL loadout, though. In which case you are getting something close to +1 impacts per ammo box, +2 impacts per resupply, and +8 max impact count.
That's a pretty nice deal considering you're only giving up your secondary slot. Of course something that goes in your support slot and thus also takes up 1 stratagem slot on top of competing with antitank options will be stronger in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The problem with the grenade pistol is that the opportunity cost is unacceptable. Taking it removes both your rootin and your tootin.