Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pablo Bluth posted:

Can the defendant decline to take that stand, or do they have to actually listen to questions and plead the fifth?

They can straight up decline. Jesus I hope you guys aren't Americans. He's doing it because his testimony is evidence required for his defence, typically that's the only reason a defendant would ever give testimony at their own trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lol at taking the 5th/refusing to testify in your own defence that would be just a massive flashing "I am guilty" for him

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am innocent but I cannot explain how without incriminating myself by the way THIS IS RIGGED AND I DO NOT HAVE SMALL HANDS!"

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Pablo Bluth posted:

Can the defendant decline to take that stand, or do they have to actually listen to questions and plead the fifth?

The defendant in a criminal case is never required to take the stand. The choice whether to do so always belongs to them (and it's almost always a bad idea to).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They can straight up decline. Jesus I hope you guys aren't Americans. He's doing it because his testimony is evidence required for his defence, typically that's the only reason a defendant would ever give testimony at their own trial.
I'm British, where our right to silence works differently.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jesus I hope you guys aren't Americans, imagine not knowing every nuance of the legal system!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
If I were American I would simply not get caught committing any crimes, and eat burg every day

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
How long is the hush money trial supposed to take?

Failed Imagineer posted:

If I were American I would simply not get caught committing any crimes, and eat burg every day
This is my strat. Working pretty good so far. :burger:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pablo Bluth posted:

Same deal there. There is possibly a difference in police interrogation laws where cops in the uk can continue to pose questions with a lawyer present but the suspect can't be obliged to answer whereas in the US if a suspect asks for a lawyer all questioning is supposed to end. It doesn't always in practice, but it should.

iirc the whole concept has its roots in English common law but don't quote me on that.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Jesus I hope you guys aren't Americans, imagine not knowing every nuance of the legal system!

It's a fundamental cornerstone of the legal system.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Cornwind Evil posted:

It's like Machiavelli said: if you seek to be feared, do not become HATED, because people who have legitimate hate will be willing to suffer and take risks to oppose you.

What I like about Machiavelli is that Il Principe can be read as a sarcastic warning to the Medici family telling them that their power is hosed because whatever they do it'll end in ruin and they can only keep power for so long. He was a proponent of Republics, being a senior official in the Republic of Firenze and was exiled by the Medici family, so it makes sense to read it in that way too

That said - he's been dead for 500 years, and the book was released 5 years after his death, so it's not like he could debunk it - and we can't know for sure that everything in it was as he wrote it

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah but also law is complex enough that it's not unreasonable for a lay person to think there might be an edge cage or some convoluted reason that might not apply in this case.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Same deal there. There is possibly a difference in police interrogation laws where cops in the uk can continue to pose questions with a lawyer present but the suspect can't be obliged to answer whereas in the US if a suspect asks for a lawyer all questioning is supposed to end. It doesn't always in practice, but it should.

iirc the whole concept has its roots in English common law but don't quote me on that.

Knowing the details of how our court system functions is not useful information to the vast majority of Americans who, if they interact with it, will have an attorney of some sort representing them. Especially since it can vary from state to state, knowing that it functions is usually enough.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

"Sir I see you just disembarked from a plane? Are you even familiar with the newton's third law? Can you even explain the concept of internal combustion???"
:goonsay:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That's the dumbest take I ever heard. I don't even know what you're defending there.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

That's the dumbest take I ever heard. I don't even know what you're defending there.

I'm not defending anything, I'm making fun of your weirdly condescending take on someone asking an honest question about the trial. Hth.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

free hubcaps posted:

I'm not defending anything, I'm making fun of your weirdly condescending take on someone asking an honest question about the trial. Hth.

And I gave them a full and honest answer to the question. Being a little shocked that an American (that posts here of all places) might not know about these very vital rights underpinning so many laws isn't condescension, it's the exact opposite. This is being condescending.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

One hundred percent "No Comment" erryday all day. lighting up a spliff comes much afterwards.

Guilty or Innocent; no laws jockey present; "No Comment".
Then discuss with whatever flavour of legal character is thrown your way, and they will probably advise you to stick to "No Comment".
I got kicked in the head (yeah, it explains a lot, but he was wearing soft little trainers, startled me more than anything.) on the tube, I was not wearing trainers, I was wearing newrocks, when I eventually got my poo poo regathered and told him to sit down and not move or I'll return the favour, thats "threats to kill" as opposed to you know, "kicking some rando in the head cos he looks different".
when I eventually got called into the cop shop, he'd long fled back to Poland (smart boy), but the cops still wanted to charge someone with a crime.
"No Comment" gave them nothing to work on, when the "Interview" was over I was at my leisure to call them a shower of useless "that word americans are afraid of".
But don't listen to some filthy brit law-splain poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 23, 2024

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Under English law, a jury now has a limited ability to draw adverse inference from exercising the right to silence.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This is being condescending.

Glad we agree!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Jesus I hope you guys aren't Americans.

This is condescending. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, and after all this is a comedy forum if you meant it as a joke. But lol if you expect no one to make fun of you. You've been here for 11 years so you should know this as well as you know the American legal system

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

And I gave them a full and honest answer to the question. Being a little shocked that an American (that posts here of all places) might not know about these very vital rights underpinning so many laws isn't condescension, it's the exact opposite. This is being condescending.

Lmao

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

Under English law, a jury now has a limited ability to draw adverse inference from exercising the right to silence.

Which can be challenged pretty handily.
My point being; you say nothing; usually they have nothing, you say anything; they have evidence of.... something.
If they have nothing to go on, it should not get to the point of a Jury.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Anders posted:

This is condescending. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, and after all this is a comedy forum if you meant it as a joke. But lol if you expect no one to make fun of you. You've been here for 11 years so you should know this as well as you know the American legal system

Ah, well I didn't and I'm sorry if I made you feel condescended to Pablo. And I don't know the US legal system for poo poo, which is what's so concerning. :(

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

maybe consider exercising it?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

NoiseAnnoys posted:

maybe consider exercising it?

Username/Post synergy: Off the charts.
Lets just agree that until our favourite piss stain does anything, we are just going to try to lay "sick burns" on each other as we always do. :justpost:

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Holy.

poo poo.

"If you're a fan of 'The Wire," this is the scene where Stringer Bell turns to the young man and says 'Are you taking notes on a criminal conspiracy?!'"

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Dont talk to the police", or you know; write mycrimes.txt on a bank statement. the world's your oyster.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol at taking the 5th/refusing to testify in your own defence that would be just a massive flashing "I am guilty" for him

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am innocent but I cannot explain how without incriminating myself by the way THIS IS RIGGED AND I DO NOT HAVE SMALL HANDS!"

Our criminal justice system here is pretty hosed up. You really do not want to testify in your own defense. Generally you stick with what your lawyer says because our legal system is full of mines for the average person.

every step of the way only talk to your lawyer especially with the cops. It does not matter if you are innocent. Only talk through your lawyer.

There were actually just cases down here in FL of a guy planting drugs on cars he had stopped.

I guess I can just sum this up by saying our judicial system from top to bottom is stacked against you so any way to protect yourself is important.

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 23, 2024

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

ManBoyChef posted:

Our criminal justice system here is pretty hosed up. You really do not want to testify in your own defense. Generally you stick with what your lawyer says because our legal system is full of mines for the average person.

every step of the way only talk to your lawyer especially with the cops. It does not matter if you are innocent. Only talk through your lawyer.

It's the same principle as not going on like fox news without media training. You might be smarter and more capable than Jesse Watters but he has spent his whole career knowing how to sell a message on TV and he knows the rules and the ins and outs of his broadcast. Going in without training makes you end up like all the people who come across as hapless fools. Like that r/antiwork guy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PhazonLink posted:

i think thats a promo shot of the TV show White Collar.

The FBI guy is kissing his hot wife, and the the guy on the right is some conman thats a CI. and theres a non zero chance he and some other shows and movies are reasons why terrible nerds think wearing a hat is cool/sexy.

*reads the synopsis* Geez, another of these shows? Isn't this just The Blacklist again?

Though, speaking of shows with a cool charismatic criminal who wears a hat lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Accipiter posted:

Holy.

poo poo.

"If you're a fan of 'The Wire," this is the scene where Stringer Bell turns to the young man and says 'Are you taking notes on a criminal conspiracy?!'"

Yes so The Crime Elemental has been caught doing crimes, but when are they going to start getting serious and asking the real questions - such as how does this reflect poorly on Biden?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

staberind posted:

One hundred percent "No Comment" erryday all day. lighting up a spliff comes much afterwards.

Guilty or Innocent; no laws jockey present; "No Comment".
Then discuss with whatever flavour of legal character is thrown your way, and they will probably advise you to stick to "No Comment".
I got kicked in the head (yeah, it explains a lot, but he was wearing soft little trainers, startled me more than anything.) on the tube, I was not wearing trainers, I was wearing newrocks, when I eventually got my poo poo regathered and told him to sit down and not move or I'll return the favour, thats "threats to kill" as opposed to you know, "kicking some rando in the head cos he looks different".
when I eventually got called into the cop shop, he'd long fled back to Poland (smart boy), but the cops still wanted to charge someone with a crime.
"No Comment" gave them nothing to work on, when the "Interview" was over I was at my leisure to call them a shower of useless "that word americans are afraid of".
But don't listen to some filthy brit law-splain poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE
Do you remember that Mooninite bomb scare back in 2008? To promote the Aqua Teen movie Adult Swim hired some street artists to put up some LED placards and people thought they were bombs. Anyway, at the courtroom press conference their lawyer told them to not say anything about the case, so they talked about 70's haircuts.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
It will never stop being funny that the conservatives that depict Donald Trump as an overtly-masculine, intelligent Atlas-like man are also the same people saying he’s a smelly old feeble bitch that can’t sit in a chair for 6 hours without coming close to death.

Keep this poo poo up, Fox News, I needed a mood booster.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

funeral home DJ posted:

It will never stop being funny that the conservatives that depict Donald Trump as an overtly-masculine, intelligent Atlas-like man are also the same people saying he’s a smelly old feeble bitch that can’t sit in a chair for 6 hours without coming close to death.

Keep this poo poo up, Fox News, I needed a mood booster.

Someone needs to put in the legwork to make :umberto: into a meme the general public knows about

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol Donald "TRUMP" has to sit in court and not talk or use a phone and he's angrier and more miserable than he's ever been in his life

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Deptfordx posted:

Re: The "don't fight uphill me boys" thing.

I've been assuming Trump watched the Gettysburg movie in the 90's, fast forwarding though the talking scenes obviously.

So now he has a dim recollection of the Chamberlain/Round Top scene and his very special brain went to work from there.

No one in history that I know as a Civil War historian has ever loving said it, hell Lee ordered his troops to attack high ground, even at the "Uh that's a bad idea" from his officers.

He just made it up like the River of Blood

He was also in Schnecksville PA, which is nowhere loving near Gettysburg, closer to New York.

He just doesn't know anything else about PA except Gettysburg, and at some level is personally offended that his idol Robert E Lee is no longer "In Favor"

This is something I don't understand honestly, maybe old goons can shed light on it for me:

What the gently caress is with old white men in particular and their obsession with Robert E Lee the Saint? Like was his famous hack/ fraud biography required reading in school at the time? He's a big a traitor as Benedict Arnold at least, for even shittier reasons. Also he's the most "brilliant tactical commander" I know that also somehow destroys his whole army a lot.

Even my dad who was a Civil War buff and was pretty chill about like every other facet of it, got raging mad sensitive about Lee, I never really understood it.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 23, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Do you remember that Mooninite bomb scare back in 2008? To promote the Aqua Teen movie Adult Swim hired some street artists to put up some LED placards and people thought they were bombs. Anyway, at the courtroom press conference their lawyer told them to not say anything about the case, so they talked about 70's haircuts.

Good times when the entire city of Boston locked down over an LED Aqua Teen.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

redshirt posted:

Good times when the entire city of Boston locked down over an LED Aqua Teen.

But it was flipping the bird!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

No one in history that I know as a Civil War historian has ever loving said it, hell Lee ordered his troops to attack high ground, even at the "Uh that's a bad idea" from his officers.

He was also in Schnecksville PA, which is nowhere loving near Gettysburg, closer to New York.

He just doesn't know anything else about PA except Gettysburg, and at some level is personally offended that his idol Robert E Lee is no longer "In Favor"

This is something I don't understand honestly, maybe old goons can shed light on it for me:

What the gently caress is with old white men in particular and their obsession with Robert E Lee the Saint? Like was his famous hack/ fraud biography required reading in school at the time? He's a big a traitor as Benedict Arnold at least, for even shittier reasons. Also he's the most "brilliant tactical commander" I know thar also somehow destroys his whole army a lot.

Even my dad who was a Civil War buff and was pretty chill about like every other facet of it, got raging mad sensitive about Lee, I never really understood it.

Also love how all these fuckers pass over Lee openly kidnapping blacks from the North during their bouts and sending them into slavery. Hmmmm, wonder why they don't talk about that

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Pictured: Donny Dumps, minutes away from saying the absolute dumbest most deranged loving medical advice imaginable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol at imagining Trump watching a 4 hour movie