Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I ask something like have they done Jiu Jitsu before because I often end up the drilling partner for someone's very first class and I add all the extraneous commentary (A guard is...) that the professor doesn't need to get into for everybody, and I don't want to begin pontificating for someone's that's done MMA for years in the military and is just a wandering white belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

I ask something like have they done Jiu Jitsu before because I often end up the drilling partner for someone's very first class and I add all the extraneous commentary (A guard is...) that the professor doesn't need to get into for everybody, and I don't want to begin pontificating for someone's that's done MMA for years in the military and is just a wandering white belt.

Honestly it doesn't phase me at all because I always observe Rule 1) Protect yourself at all times. Grappling experience or lack thereof only affects how I treat Rule 2) Protect your partner. If they're less experienced I don't attempt complicated leg entanglements or jam submissions on tightly, but if you follow that premise you will never be surprised by a white bell throwing imanari rolls or whatever on you.

Certainly if you get asked don't hide it or whatever, but I don't think it's really required to offer up "You know I have x experience." before rolling with someone, especially in my case where "purple belt in bjj" doesn't really adequately describes my experience anyway.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 21, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, yeah, for rolling I can just let them try to pass my open guard and it's going to be immediately obvious what we have goin' on here.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Defenestrategy posted:

Certainly if you get asked don't hide it or whatever, but I don't think it's really required to offer up "You know I have x experience." before rolling with someone, especially in my case where "purple belt in bjj" doesn't really adequately describes my experience anyway.

I'm an adult who does this as a hobby with other adults who feel the same way, and I think it's better to just be transparent with my training partners. For me, it's not particularly troublesome to negotiate some of the round in advance while tidying one's gi between rounds, etc. I'll also let them know what joints/muscles are bothering me and typically ask if they have anything I should watch out for, even though I will say for my issues "...but don't worry, I'll tap quickly if the need arises" (to your point about protecting oneself).

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 21, 2024

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Wrestlers should be required to have a patch on their gi or wear an armband in no gi or something. Yesterday I was doing open mat with another white belt and expecting an easy round and instead we just rolled hard for 2 rounds straight no breaks.

Was cool tho cause I was able to keep up, which is nice validation that I'm actually improving lol

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Our head instructor is prepping for comp and we're light on black belts for him to train against so we just go into the meat grinder one after the other for one minute at a time, 10 minute rounds.

It's lovely to get the tail end of it though when he's suffering

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Defenestrategy posted:

Honestly it doesn't phase me at all because I always observe Rule 1) Protect yourself at all times. Grappling experience or lack thereof only affects how I treat Rule 2) Protect your partner. If they're less experienced I don't attempt complicated leg entanglements or jam submissions on tightly, but if you follow that premise you will never be surprised by a white bell throwing imanari rolls or whatever on you.

actually rule 1 is "this sport is intentionally very homoerotic and we are all OK with that"

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Green Toad posted:

actually rule 1 is "this sport is intentionally very homoerotic and we are all OK with that"

:yeah:

Jack B Nimble posted:

Congrats on the win and thank God it's a minor injury. Rolling the wrong one in a leg technique is one of my minor BJJ phobias, so I feel you.

The competition intensity is always interesting to me; you can see, in real time, your opponent doing things that "shouldn't work".

When it happened I was so sure I was rolling the right way. I saw him trying to turn over it for a rolling toe hold, I could feel which way the pressure was and I was like "yeah I gotta roll with him first" and then I realised very quickly I had made a mistake. If I had any uncertainty I was just gonna tap but for whatever reason I was so certain I was defending it the right way. Fortunately it's just a minor sprain but I'm still getting it checked out tomorrow. Going forward I don't think it's a good idea to go in comps that allow those attacks while I don't have people I trust with to train them.

And lol yeah there were a bunch of times a guy would do something crazy to hulk out of a bad position and I was just like "oh, well, righto!"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My professor likes to remind us that even BJ Penn rolled the wrong way and tore his knee, so whomst among us etc. I'm still in the baby phases of leg attacks and mostly I focus on hand fighting just because it's very safe - if I can control their hands they can't finish the sub, and if I lose their hands and they start to apply the sub, well my plan failed and I tap. I'm not suggesting it's a strategy anyone should take to a tournament, but it seems hard for it go too wrong.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

That is a fantastic idea and I'm going to take that approach going forward. I'm trying not to care too much about winning or losing in comp (I ain't ever gonna be champ) so tapping to a well applied submission early and saving myself an injury is a good time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

whats for dinner posted:

That is a fantastic idea and I'm going to take that approach going forward. I'm trying not to care too much about winning or losing in comp (I ain't ever gonna be champ) so tapping to a well applied submission early and saving myself an injury is a good time.

I'm mildly alarmed to think anyone is taking my advice on avoiding heel hooks, knee bars, and ankle locks, but for what it's worth I just hand fight, try to trap/pin their two hands for a second and then use my free hand to strip the foot/leg that's keeping me in place. Then I can scoot, shrimp, or stand to get out of the position as necessary. And like I said, if the hand fighting ever fails and they grab up the subbing grip and I can't strip their grips, I just verbally tap.

I feel I should stress no one taught me to do this so someone may well come by and say "this is a terrible way to defend leg locks and will never work against a good opponent and you'll never get better at defending leg locks by not engaging with them". I find it works sometimes, and then other times not (like all defenses!?).

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 22, 2024

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm alarmed to think anyone is taking my advice on avoiding heel hooks, knee bars, and ankle locks, but for what it's worth I just hand fight, try to trap/pin their two hands for a second and then use my free hand to strip the foot/leg that's keeping me in place. Then I can scoot, shrimp, or stand to get out of the position as necessary. And like I said, if the hand fighting ever fails and they grab up the subbing grip and I can't strip their grips, I just verbally tap.

I feel I should stress no one taught me to do this so someone may well come by and say "this is a terrible way to defend leg locks and will never work against a good opponent and you'll never get better at defending leg locks by not engaging with them".

My own coach recommends hand fighting as well and then rolling as the next layer of defence so it's not outside of what I've already taught. But because neither of my schools do any leg attacks besides straight ankle locks until brown belt it's not something I ever really get any practice on so I think taking a super conservative approach like you recommend is the right thing to do.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

whats for dinner posted:

My own coach recommends hand fighting as well and then rolling as the next layer of defence so it's not outside of what I've already taught. But because neither of my schools do any leg attacks besides straight ankle locks until brown belt it's not something I ever really get any practice on so I think taking a super conservative approach like you recommend is the right thing to do.

Fair enough, I suppose if it was truly egregious my coach would have told me to knock it off - I hope it helps!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
hand fighting and prioritising freeing your knee is good enough most of the time

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

I recommend shooting silly string in their face as a form of defense.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Rolled with an MMA fighter the other day expecting things to go a little different in a jits sparring situation. It didnt. All of my escapes worked, the concepts (basic ones) I could tell might have frustrated him at a couple points and I got out without being tapped. I guess I was expecting for him to throw something at me that was different(?).

edit: Does anyone know if there is an outside leg takedown similar to ko-ouchi gari? The inside leg takedown is pretty popular but I thought I had seen one with using the outside leg particulary when on the knees.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 22, 2024

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Rolled with an MMA fighter the other day expecting things to go a little different in a jits sparring situation. It didnt. All of my escapes worked, the concepts (basic ones) I could tell might have frustrated him at a couple points and I got out without being tapped. I guess I was expecting for him to throw something at me that was different(?).

edit: Does anyone know if there is an outside leg takedown similar to ko-ouchi gari? The inside leg takedown is pretty popular but I thought I had seen one with using the outside leg particulary when on the knees.

Kosoto Gari/gake

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

starkebn posted:

hand fighting and prioritising freeing your knee is good enough most of the time

+1. Just make sure your hand fight is in service of freeing the knee or getting below the knee line. I see a lot of guys who don't know legs very well just kind of gripping for dear life without actively trying to escape.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I set up "sticky foot" kosoto gari a lot in BJJ because once you step your foot into position and then hit a back step, it's difficult for a shy opponent to pull guard.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Jack B Nimble posted:

And like I said, if the hand fighting ever fails and they grab up the subbing grip and I can't strip their grips, I just verbally tap.

I've heard exactly this about heel hooks in particular from several people who are much better than I am at leg locks--work your escapes and handfight as long as you can, but as soon as their hands touch while they've got a bite on your heel, just tap immediately.

I do think heel hooks require a safety lecture for beginners because they do serious damage *before* they hurt, but all of the other leglocks have pretty obvious pain indicators before they do serious damage. They're dangerous if people crank on them without control, of course, but that applies to upper-body submissions too.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think everyone should learn common attack defenses, heel hooks are no better or worse in my expetience than any other attack, some idiot spins and twists to get away is no different than a dude spinning against a clock choke or trying to deadlift out of an armbar. Unfortunate that it happens, but play stupid games win stupid prizes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've had to talk to a lot of newer people about wildly spinning out of straight foot locks. If your ankle is held in tight enough you're going to spin your whole body weight directly around your knee.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

play stupid games win stupid prizes

And how! :smith:

The decision not to teach leg locks and defences until brown belt does seem super arbitrary. But I've also been pretty lucky to train at schools where people don't smash submissions on and will usually make space if someone's about to hurt themselves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

we do leg lock stuff with white belts quite frequently but we always make sure that we always give the "be careful on offense and on defense" talks, basically the last page of this thread, every time until it's tedious.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Defenestrategy posted:

I think everyone should learn common attack defenses, heel hooks are no better or worse in my expetience than any other attack, some idiot spins and twists to get away is no different than a dude spinning against a clock choke or trying to deadlift out of an armbar. Unfortunate that it happens, but play stupid games win stupid prizes.

If a training partner is defending improperly and puts themselves in danger you let go of the submission dude, come on. Win stupid prizes? What is wrong with you?

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 23, 2024

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

If a training partner is defending improperly and puts themselves in danger you let go of the submission dude, come on. Win stupid prizes? What is wrong with you?

I'm happy for you that your training partners are nice enough to slowly try to rip their own knees to shreds, but every time Ive seen joint locks go bad is when the defender decides that yeeting themselves or their partner into a deathroll that tori couldnt have seen coming.

Edit: In certain leg entanglements even letting go of the submission isnt gonna be enough to save a dudes knees.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 23, 2024

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

maiming is too light a punishment for the sin of hubris

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
hide your heel, handfight, get your knee free.

After some time, you will start doing the following sequence: hide your heel, counter attack one of their legs, get a tap or at least get them off your leg.

The key to getting good at leglocks is learning the following 2 skills, in order:
- how to hide your heel (heel flush against their torso, your trapped knee pointing away from their belly button
- common counterattacks from saddle, single leg x, outside ashi. Honeystick counter from their saddle, aoki lock attack on single leg x hooking leg, and inside heel hook on top leg from their outside ashi are my favorite 3 counters to the common positions. Of course with 50/50 the counterattacks are more obvious.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 23, 2024

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Kosoto Gari/gake

Awesome thank you! Is there a way to set this up from a seated guard position or does anyone know of a video showing this? I swear I saw something related to this at one point.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm happy for you that your training partners are nice enough to slowly try to rip their own knees to shreds, but every time Ive seen joint locks go bad is when the defender decides that yeeting themselves or their partner into a deathroll that tori couldnt have seen coming.

Edit: In certain leg entanglements even letting go of the submission isnt gonna be enough to save a dudes knees.

Doesn't even have to be something that most people would consider a leg entanglement per se. I had a brand-new guy tear his MCL while we were doing some positional drills because he decided that the best way to deal with the coyote guard was to fling his entire body sideways as hard as possible even though one of his legs was very stuck.

You can lecture people as much as you want about the importance of technique over strength and the dangers of flailing around and so on, but some of them just aren't gonna get the memo until they pay the price, unfortunately.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Awesome thank you! Is there a way to set this up from a seated guard position or does anyone know of a video showing this? I swear I saw something related to this at one point.

not offhand, but I've heard it called a crowbar single when done with a leg and a hand together from seated or RDLR

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Does anyone have any tips for going from bad at jiu jitsu to good at jiu jitsu? tia

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Does anyone have any tips for going from bad at jiu jitsu to good at jiu jitsu? tia

I don’t think anyone has figured it out yet.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Sometimes I want to tell my sensei "that works because you're good at judo and I am not."

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Hellblazer187 posted:

truck roll

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Keep showing up to practice, eventually everyone else quits and youre the best by virtue of being last one standing.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Keep showing up to practice, eventually everyone else quits and youre the best by virtue of being last one standing.

I saw this post before you edited it, when you said "spend thousands on bjj fanatics but don't watch the videos", I think that's good advice too but probably the showing up thing is slightly better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you get them at 47% off, what's the harm.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

We had a "ADCC" tournament at my gym tonight. 8 minutes then points begin at 4 min mark. It was a lot of fun. Being one of the senior guys in the class I thought I might have an experience advantage but some of these guys really suprised me. Heres how my "matches" went:

1. Started with someone I hadnt rolled with before in class. About 6'4", super strong! he spent most of his time in my full guard until I was able to catch an Americana from full guard. (That would never happen in ADCC!).
2. Rolled with a blue belt that got to my back standing but I locked in a kimura via nick diaz style, and sumi gaeshi him to the mat, and immediately turned it into an armbar.
3. Rolled with professor who basically was just standing in to get some rolls. Was worried he would get to my legs the whole time, avoided being swept or him getting low from half and catching a leg. Managed to get to his back after passing via a cradle pass and locked in the RNC, but like across the chin.
4. The final match for first place: Last dude seriously almost got me from the back but my defense from the back is pretty good and its rare when someone is able to choke me from there. I put myself in horrible situations from the back and escaped so I felt very comfortable with not being submitted from there. He ended up going to mount, I bump rolled him, opened his guard fairly easy and went right into half. Tripod pass from half and caught him with a punch choke from mount.

Guys were super motivational with their teammates. This is what I love to see! Funny thing is I didnt even want to roll like at all tonight. I was hoping he would just teach class (lazy brown belt), but I pushed myself and just kept a cool head through all my matches.

I dont know, maybe its time for my old rear end to compete again....

CommonShore posted:

not offhand, but I've heard it called a crowbar single when done with a leg and a hand together from seated or RDLR

Ill look this up. Thanks so much.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fuuucking hell the impostor syndrome was kicking in and then