Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if only we had robust privacy laws then nobody would be able to do this

wait no i'm being told that when american companies do it its good, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Eeyo posted:

wtf tiktok's algorithm is actually sought after?

i'm calling bs, ain't nobody out there actually want a recommendation algorithm. you can just pay an intern a couple bucks to get you one in a week or w/e

I'm genuinely curious when the last time you talked to somebody under 30 was

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

you asked for a link because you weren't aware that "*any* data was being transferred overseas". you now are aware - you're welcome!

i mean, some data points about its user base being put into a spreadsheet and then transferred overseas isn't the same thing as transferring their actual data, i.e. their videos, memes, whatever the gently caress the kids do on tiktok. i'd read that article when it was first posted, it's not the same thing and i know you know it. plus what i said about that practice being routine for many american companies holds true too — if it weren't a hugely popular app that eats into the tech sector's profits there would be no problem

like, grindr was bought by some chinese VC a while back. nobody's trying to ban grindr

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 23, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its protectionism. did you not notice that substantively every single american social media dealio is already banned in china

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

like, grindr was bought by some chinese VC a while back. nobody's trying to ban grindr

shut up before a congressman hears you

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shame Boy posted:

congressmen love grindr

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actually according to wikipedia they tried to IPO and the US government labeled them a scary chinese evil company who's not allowed to do america business, so they divested to a US owner in 2020 lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
like, if they hadnt done that already the threat of the prc banning american social media would be an inducement towards moderation but they already banned all american social media so its more like starting to poke the defect button in that prisoners dilemma after the prc peeps put a rock on their defect button

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its protectionism. did you not notice that substantively every single american social media dealio is already banned in china

they've had that policy since before the advent of social media though, and it extends far beyond it. in comparison we're supposed to be all about the ~free market~ (until it cuts into profits)

but beyond the xenophobia aspect, you're right — this is also straight up market protectionism because the american social media companies aren't the top dog anymore, can't compete and really don't even bother trying to, because they a. don't really need to, they have everyone that's going to use their product in 2024 and b. can't really unfuck the mess they've made of their platforms anyway, even if they wanted to, which they don't

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

lol i was going to say "for being owned by the chinese, anyway" but

Roosevelt posted:

congressmen love grindr

this is also true

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the free market nutjobbery is why they're getting to this after like 5 years of mumbling about it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

the free market nutjobbery is why they're getting to this after like 5 years of mumbling about it

well that and the western world's idea of innovation being "stick a LLM in it and call it a day"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also because congress is almost completely dysfunctional

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

what’s the palestine support percent for grindr users? maybe that’ll move the dial

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm genuinely curious when the last time you talked to somebody under 30 was

i think i saw a teenager a couple days ago but they got spooked and ran back in their house to use tiktok*

*latest fad

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

they've been trying to ban tiktok since the trump administration, it has nothing to do with israel or anything else really. they just don't want kids using a chinese product

...lol, lmao, better get started on banning everything else imported from china next

i see it as a favour to domestic tech companies like facebook that got embarrassingly pantsed by tiktok more than anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BMan posted:

this retroactively makes me a genius for trying an el cheapo mouse for my latest mouse replacement

or just don't install their software, the mouse works without it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

actually according to wikipedia they tried to IPO and the US government labeled them a scary chinese evil company who's not allowed to do america business, so they divested to a US owner in 2020 lol

tbh grindr having a Chinese owner was probably a larger national security risk than TikTok

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Juul-Whip posted:

i see it as a favour to domestic tech companies like facebook that got embarrassingly pantsed by tiktok more than anything

i logged into facebook the other day and there were like 2 posts from people i know. the rest were all some kind of promoted content, featuring plenty of ads, ai-generated art that everyone thinks is real, and fake celebrity photos with huge boobs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pinterest Mom posted:

tbh grindr having a Chinese owner was probably a larger national security risk than TikTok

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

like, if they hadnt done that already the threat of the prc banning american social media would be an inducement towards moderation but they already banned all american social media so its more like starting to poke the defect button in that prisoners dilemma after the prc peeps put a rock on their defect button

the current tik tok (byte dance) ownership structure is superficially pretty close to a Chinese joint venture arrangement with 60% of it owned by the likes of sequoia, SoftBank and so forth; 1% is owned by the Chinese state venture fund and the remainder of it is employees and other Chinese investors

the Chinese response to this could be… interesting

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1782728464748925166

the internet is dead, bury it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i mean, we're toodling along fine. twitter is hosed but thats been set in stone since the dipshit bought it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
small and slow internet is the way to go. im reasonably happy these days just with SA and my RSS reader

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

haveblue posted:

also because congress is almost completely dysfunctional
almost?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

small and slow internet is the way to go. im reasonably happy these days just with SA and my RSS reader

yeah except for news stuff (and i mostly get that through apple news, which is like a RSS reader but it tracks you and you have to block ads) i barely venture beyond SA these days

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

good point, this is still the least productive congress in history*

*until the next one

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I just started paying for a news co-op made of a bunch of independent regional newspapers that share content with each other a month or so ago and it's been needs-suiting towards my ever shrinking presence around social media.

at this point if nobody is asking me questions my posts (outside of here) are mostly some RSS feed for people who don't have RSS clients.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Roosevelt posted:

i logged into facebook the other day and there were like 2 posts from people i know. the rest were all some kind of promoted content, featuring plenty of ads, ai-generated art that everyone thinks is real, and fake celebrity photos with huge boobs

does anyone who still uses meta products actually use the feeds. i figured most facebook activity nowadays was in groups/marketplace and instagram was in... well, something other than the main feed, idk, i never use it

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MononcQc posted:

I just started paying for a news co-op made of a bunch of independent regional newspapers that share content with each other a month or so ago and it's been needs-suiting towards my ever shrinking presence around social media.

at this point if nobody is asking me questions my posts (outside of here) are mostly some RSS feed for people who don't have RSS clients.

That sounds cool

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wayne Knight posted:

That sounds cool

it's a chain of newspapers that used to be owned by the sinister Power Corporation and got passed around from owner to owner for the last ten years until they went bankrupt, and were resurrected as a co-ops in a last ditch effort to save them. they're good papers, but it's v much a managed declined thing instead of a cool new business model thing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

they're gonna pass the tik tok ban and are eagerly spending a lot of money on genocide

really reachin' across the aisle and making the system work

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

it can still serve its core purpose of funneling money to the rich just fine

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
tiktok is banned in hong kong for some reason (fascism)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

IBM Is in Advanced Talks to Acquire Software Provider HashiCorp

If what happened to CentOS is any indication, this probably isn't a good sign.

quote:

International Business Machines Corp. is in advanced talks to acquire software company HashiCorp Inc., according to people with knowledge of the matter.

IBM and HashiCorp could reach an agreement as soon as Wednesday, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing confidential information.

A deal for HashiCorp would strengthen IBM’s hybrid cloud focus and “appears to be a good strategic fit,” wrote Bloomberg Intelligence senior analyst Anurag Rana. “HashiCorp helps organizations shift their workloads to a public cloud from on-premise, and will likely complement IBM’s open-source products sold by Red Hat.”

IBM’s multi-cloud approach makes it the most-logical buyer of HashiCorp, Piper Sandler analyst James Fish wrote in March, adding that IBM historically used the software company’s products.

IBM’s largest acquisition to date remains its $34 billion acquisition of Red Hat in 2019. That software business has become a point of investor anxiety in recent quarters, as its growth has slowed to single digits, comparatively sluggish for a unit that once regularly jumped more than 20% each quarter.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

what happened to centos

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

what happened to centos

they tried to make it into the RHEL version of rawhide and the centos users said lol no

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shame Boy posted:

what happened to centos

its dead op

also idk if red hat sucked as much to deal with as a vendor before IBM bought them but they sure as hell do now

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

shackleford posted:

they tried to make it into the RHEL version of rawhide and the centos users said lol no

and ibm said lol and then did it anyway

now you can choose between a centos clone based on an 'im not touching you' license violation that's two seconds from ibm legal tying them up in court for a decade, a centos clone by russians ambiguous europeans who try to backport from the rawhide-like centos stream to create a rhel equivalent, and a centos clone by oracle

when nvidia buys canonical you're gonna see some real poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ENGAGE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO ENGAGE CONTENT SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD ENGAGEMENT WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE LOVE I FEEL FOR BRANDS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. LIKE. SUBSCRIBE.