Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ijyt posted:

there are way too many bugs at any one time for that to ever work with the people I play.

I play on 7 to 9 mostly, i doubt you have some secret more bugs mode. Eruptor is great vs lots of bugs because it has massive AOE. Shoot breaches if your friends cause lots of them. Shoot patrols to stop them from breaching. Run around your friends to stick and move.

Really the only gun Id want in a situation with tons of bugs over the eruptor would be breaker incendiary and only if the flame DOT is working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Icedude posted:

Or drop directly onto the extract point. That's aways clear except on 8 or 9, and you have the benefit of being able to clear out the nearby PoIs/spawns/objectives for a quieter extract at the end.

At worst you might get unlucky and there's a cannon tower that can overlook it.

Many times I've seen extracts within jammer range, or covered by two jammers so be warned it can and does happen

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Pub group I was in last night landed at the outer range of twin airship fabricators. We ran into a factory strider as we pushed to drop the hellbomb and one guy abandoned us to go be rambo. Each of us ended up chewing through a few reinforcements taking everything out, but I’m a Helldivers sicko and really enjoyed the challenge.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How did Helldivers 1 handle the grouping of weapons as time went on? It's only a few months into Helldivers 2 and I already feel like the split between which weapons are Primary and Support will make less sense as time goes on.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Got wiped by a double gunship fab that we dropped next to. We escaped the initial drop to handle the other objectives but pumping the oil was within range of the fabricators.

I type out “The Gunships are on the objective we have to deal with it :(“ Only the pubbie sticks with me and the Gunships can see through the haze on Mort so I get the rocket full volley. Pubbie detonates a tower in the chaos and the other two guys got fascinated by the oil puzzle. So someone staring out the window saw the Destroyer blow up.

With a double fabricator then I’d like two people doing anti air. While the 3rd places a bomb. If you focus the POI then it’s doable. “I can do it solo” yeah that’s cool I’m aware of my ability to catch a pre fired corner rocket so having backup is preferred.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Each time I've dropped right next to gunship fabricators (usually the double kind) it's been absolute loving nightmare and near instant wipe with most pubs giving up nearly instantly.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I've gotten through a drop onto double airship fabs only once, and only because we had plenty of terrain to hide behind on the approach. Every other time it's run away, call in equipment and circle back.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Had a diff7 robot blitz last night with a gunship fab on the east side and west side of the map, so no matter where you ran on the tiny map? Gunships.

We finished the mission and died on extract.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

You can uh just shoot them down?

Like what the gently caress are you bringing to a bots 7 if you can't handle things that die to 1 quasar RR or EAT, 2 AC shots, 4 AMR shots or pointing a laser cannon at it for 2 seconds?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Infidelicious posted:

Like what the gently caress are you bringing

Good vibes, man. People don't bring me to a party. I bring the party to them.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9nDagqKL7Q

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Public service announcement. Orbital Precision strikes one shot detector towers. Game changer.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

ijyt posted:

there are way too many bugs at any one time for that to ever work with the people I play.

I say Laser Dog is a must with Erupter if you can't rely on your teammates for chaff.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

fennesz posted:

Public service announcement. Orbital Precision strikes one shot detector towers. Game changer.

Lots of things kill them. The problem is getting the drat stratagem ball to actually stick on the ground next to it

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I play on 7 to 9 mostly, i doubt you have some secret more bugs mode. Eruptor is great vs lots of bugs because it has massive AOE. Shoot breaches if your friends cause lots of them. Shoot patrols to stop them from breaching. Run around your friends to stick and move.

Really the only gun Id want in a situation with tons of bugs over the eruptor would be breaker incendiary and only if the flame DOT is working as intended.

was i using this gun wrong, i did not notice splash damage significant enough for it to want to take after one mission

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

johnny park posted:

Lots of things kill them. The problem is getting the drat stratagem ball to actually stick on the ground next to it

My laser enjoys taking a stroll around the park instead of just focusing on the eye for the 1 second that is required to kill it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ijyt posted:

What backpack are you bringing? Laserdog+Eruptor can easily solo a breach+the base bugs around a hive, though you can't hold ground while doing it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

johnny park posted:

you can now drop red stratagems next to them so Ill sneak up and chuck one in.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

johnny park posted:

I’ve found it helps to land the precision strike so that the tower is between the call-in location and your ship. That way the strike shoots “through” the tower even if the ball lands outside of the normal blast zone. Keeping track of your orientation while scrambling around is another matter.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ijyt posted:

was i using this gun wrong, i did not notice splash damage significant enough for it to want to take after one mission

it has a pretty large AOE, ya. also, its the best primary at killing those drat armored spewers. besides, it lets you close bug holes if you swap to stun grenades, which are very useful against bugs

i like to pair it with the arc and EATs. Pop off a shot at a kinda far bug group then swap to the arc when they move in range. if anything gets too close (usually those annoying leaping bugs), switch to your secondary to mop them up. call in EATs constantly and pick them up when needed, just dont forget to pick up your arc when done. pair this with a laser dog and be amazed when you get over 800 kills in a mission

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

it has a pretty large AOE, ya. also, its the best primary at killing those drat armored spewers.
JAR is at least as good tbh, pops their heads extremely fast

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I haven't fought bugs in ages, bots are just way too drat fun and challenging.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

it has a pretty large AOE, ya. also, its the best primary at killing those drat armored spewers. besides, it lets you close bug holes if you swap to stun grenades, which are very useful against bugs

i like to pair it with the arc and EATs. Pop off a shot at a kinda far bug group then swap to the arc when they move in range. if anything gets too close (usually those annoying leaping bugs), switch to your secondary to mop them up. call in EATs constantly and pick them up when needed, just dont forget to pick up your arc when done. pair this with a laser dog and be amazed when you get over 800 kills in a mission

I'll give it another try then!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Skill issue

always

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lobok posted:

How did Helldivers 1 handle the grouping of weapons as time went on? It's only a few months into Helldivers 2 and I already feel like the split between which weapons are Primary and Support will make less sense as time goes on.

Stalwart, Railgun and Arc Thrower were primary weapons but other than that it was pretty much the same: https://helldivers.fandom.com/wiki/Weapons_(Helldivers)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Any jetpack mains have some sage advice on how to make it useful? I've been playing with it this week, and it's just not clicking with me. Can't seem to reliably make it over gorges, barely makes a difference in scaling heights, the only thing I'm really getting out of it is fall arrest and even then I'm flubbing that one some of the time.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Dyz posted:

Really, they fixed it?? Awesome

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Dyz posted:

A couple of weeks ago I was reliably killing detector towers with the orbital laser, but I tried a couple last night and the laser would not target the tower, even once all enemies in the area were dead. The laser does seem to still destroy the tower if it sweeps over it while heading to target something else.

Did something change with this recently?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Slyphic posted:

Any jetpack mains have some sage advice on how to make it useful? I've been playing with it this week, and it's just not clicking with me. Can't seem to reliably make it over gorges, barely makes a difference in scaling heights, the only thing I'm really getting out of it is fall arrest and even then I'm flubbing that one some of the time.
It needs an extra second or so of boost, and a reduction of a second or so in recharge. I can't imagine anyone complaining if it got this given the competition for a backpack slot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ijyt posted:

one shot can kill every trooper and scout strider hanging off a dropship

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Slyphic posted:

to get real distance you want to sprint and jump from a higher elevation.

Mobility wise its better for getting to high positions than actually aiding your movement but it can work as an oh poo poo button from time to time.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Slyphic posted:

I've found that if you want to climb, standing still then pressing the jump button gives you better vertical reach. However, its best use is to escape getting surrounded by bugs, or to give yourself enough distance from a charger to kill it with a quasar shot. It's more of a toy than a necessity, but against bugs I've found I really like it.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

A couple of weeks ago I was reliably killing detector towers with the orbital laser, but I tried a couple last night and the laser would not target the tower, even once all enemies in the area were dead. The laser does seem to still destroy the tower if it sweeps over it while heading to target something else.

Did something change with this recently?

No recent change. When someone mentioned lasers kill them a month+ ago I tried it... and the laser just parked itself about 5 meters in front of it blasting the ground. Happened again this past week. So I think it's just kind of luck on its positioning between the ship and other targets whereas the detector itself isn't considered a threat.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

darnon posted:

No recent change. When someone mentioned lasers kill them a month+ ago I tried it... and the laser just parked itself about 5 meters in front of it blasting the ground. Happened again this past week. So I think it's just kind of luck on its positioning between the ship and other targets whereas the detector itself isn't considered a threat.

Should be possible to throw it on the far side from the ship, then.

Personally I rely on walking barrages and crossing my fingers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

hiddenriverninja posted:

I want to play the alternate version of this game where I'm an Eagle pilot putting down 500 KGs or a bridge officer coordinating orbital strikes

All those battlefield sky kings would love this so much

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Saraiguma posted:

if you're fighting bots just drop on the biggest red dot you can find and hope things work out hth
Inshallah.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Infidelicious posted:

You can uh just shoot them down?

Like what the gently caress are you bringing to a bots 7 if you can't handle things that die to 1 quasar RR or EAT, 2 AC shots, 4 AMR shots or pointing a laser cannon at it for 2 seconds?

You can bring anything you want, if you drop right next to it and don't have your support weapons down quickly, lose them when poo poo starts to spiral, with the pubbies freaking out and quitting after dying once or twice, you're pretty cooked. Once it launches another wave you're toast and will get ragdolled to all gently caress with the Hellbomb getting destroyed by rockets.

You can be competent as you like, sometimes you're not the guy with an RR, EAT, AC, AMR or Quasar on that particular run.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Slyphic posted:

My main use case for a jetpack has been playing on difficulty 7+, taking light armor with the scout perk so I can see the points of interest on the map, and then just focusing on sample collecting (mainly finding the pink ones). The jetpack makes it so I can get around faster and not get surrounded by bugs. Did they just create a breach? Grab the samples and run away + jetpack on cooldown.

If I am doing this on bots I will also bring a smoke so that if I get dropped I can throw a smoke ahead of me and jetpack through it to break line of sight.

Every once in a while it will let me jump over a charger which is fun for the memes.

Drone Incognito fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 24, 2024

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Light armour and jetpack is a really cool and nice way to play sometimes on bugs once you get used to it. I'm not sure if this makes much difference but looking up when you boost rather than straight ahead seems to help you get some height as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Does a 500k bomb destroy the detector towers?