Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hard R refers to 'regard' (replace one letter, you're smart you'll figure it out)

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can someone explain it to us olds who have no loving idea instead of just saying no.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's the N-word with a "hard R" at the end

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hard R refers to 'regard' (replace one letter, you're smart you'll figure it out)

Proof positive you're not a Gamer(this is a good thing).

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

It’s the N word, it’s okay if you didn’t know. It’s pretty much entirely an American race culture thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Can someone explain it to us olds who have no loving idea instead of just saying no.

This is an olds thing.

"Hard R" refers to the emphasis put on the end of a horrible slur term that white people want to know why they can't say.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I figured it was an n-word issue and I am American but "hard-r" is a new one for me. Probably because I'm white as gently caress.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

If you don't know what "hard R" refers to... that's probably for the best tbh

I'm not a native speaker and had to google it because I thought it was Hard Rock Shop to avoid the whole name because of copyright.

Most of the world wouldn't get it imo

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
makes sense.. nuclear weapons don't really fit in that type of game

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

There’s also the older context for “hard R” referring to movies or other media pushing the boundaries of the MPAA rating. The slur definition is more recent as far as I’m aware.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Baggot posted:

There’s also the older context for “hard R” referring to movies or other media pushing the boundaries of the MPAA rating. The slur definition is more recent as far as I’m aware.
LOL, this is exactly how I took it, like "hard R" as in very R-rated. Based on the game and the conversations surrounding the game, that's where my mind went and was surprised why that was controversial. But I'm old now, so....

I know "hard R" as related to the racial slur, however, and feel silly I didn't think of that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This thread is the best :allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Stella(R) Blade Hard-R Positive

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Escobarbarian posted:

This thRead is the best :allears:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Stella(R) Blade Hard-R Positive

no, no, I said Stella Blade not the other thing!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I thought a "hard R" was like when a pirate gets mad.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

hard-Boat

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
No need for any of the super horny outfits in this game when you can use the Kill Bill yellow jumpsuit.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

goons.txt

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFDiuBomSuY

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 24, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
PlayStation 5: Stellar with a hard R

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

I read the difficulty lowering option for boss battles is "shoot the boss with a handgun to immediately win"

Kale
May 14, 2010

Was just coming here to joke that chuds really want Stellar Blade to be their culture war stick it to the progessives game to the point where they're actually mad that Sony is gonna do the obvious and patch out an accidental slur in the games graphical assets. Like they really want Eve to say the N word and denounced LGBT people I figure.

With how much this game has entered the culture war zeitgeist and them being very particular about it beint uncensored I cant say I blame some people for figuring it might be a dog whistle, but the fact that its confirmed getting day 1 patched confirms its just a coincidence of them putting a recurring "Hard" graffiti asset next to the shop

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

padijun posted:

I read the difficulty lowering option for boss battles is "shoot the boss with a handgun to immediately win"

This is going to be a hit for Polygon and Kotaku because they need to actually hit the boss

Kale
May 14, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

All the game review sites that got rid of their comment sections are very happy with that decision this week.

IGN didnt and has like 800+ comments in a few hours flaming the poo poo out of the guy that gave it a 7.:ohdear:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There are so many great 7/10 games. 7/10 games are like 11/10 if they are in your wheelhouse but some people need validation from game reviews I guess.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Personally I did think it was a little overwrought how you had to perform an extended QTE correctly identifying the portraits of 19th century suffragettes every time you wanted to change costumes, the IGN commenters might have a point here.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

big nipples big life posted:

There are so many great 7/10 games. 7/10 games are like 11/10 if they are in your wheelhouse but some people need validation from game reviews I guess.

I would argue that the two major releases that I've played so far this year (Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth and Dragon's Dogma 2) are both 7/10 games and I loving loved both of them. Both of those games are 7/10 games that are 10/10, if that makes sense.

Stellar Blade feels like a game that will be like Code Vein for me - fun to play with a story that is... present.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kale posted:

Was just coming here to joke that chuds really want Stellar Blade to be their culture war stick it to the progessives game to the point where they're actually mad that Sony is gonna do the obvious and patch out an accidental slur in the games graphical assets. Like they really want Eve to say the N word and denounced LGBT people I figure.

With how much this game has entered the culture war zeitgeist and them being very particular about it beint uncensored I cant say I blame some people for figuring it might be a dog whistle, but the fact that its confirmed getting day 1 patched confirms its just a coincidence of them putting a recurring "Hard" graffiti asset next to the shop

Terminally online ppl am I right 😅😅😅

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I would argue that the two major releases that I've played so far this year (Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth and Dragon's Dogma 2) are both 7/10 games and I loving loved both of them. Both of those games are 7/10 games that are 10/10, if that makes sense.

That's what I mean, 7/10 games are often games that will not appeal to everyone but if you are one of the people they are for then it will be great.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Stellar Blade seems good. I'll play it when it's $30!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

house of the dad posted:

Stellar Blade seems good. I'll play it when it's $30!

It'll be on my list when it hits the 20-25 eurodollar pricepoint (physical release)

Oh btw I love your avatar, cooking monsters is good for the dungeon's health :haw:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I usually find that when this is the case, most likely what's going on is the game is more than the sum of its parts. I haven't played DD2 yet but I'd definitely say that about Infinite Wealth. A lot of its individual components have serious flaws, but when you're actually playing the game, the flaws matter less because the overall experience is better than any one aspect.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Mordiceius posted:

No this makes perfect sense. I heard the phrase "two star banger" to describe films like Den of Thieves and it stuck with me because of how it pinpoints complex feelings of loving something that's technically middling

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Kale posted:

It makes total sense that a Korean developer wouldn't catch this. Maybe we should start some kind of consultant firm studios could hire to go through their media with a diverse range of perspectives to make sure it's inclusive to the most customers possible without being accidentally offensive.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I think the Platonic 7/10 game is gonna grow increasingly common as budgets shrink and sales projections approach realistic levels. I'm glad of it. Critics were universally meh on Rise of the Ronin and while I think it's better than a mere 7 I also get why it got the reception it did. Modest budgets and laser focus on one gameplay element over others doesn't eat up attention as much as a game with insane graphical fidelity that attempts to position itself at the center of your existence and the media conversation all at once.

I guess I'm saying gimme the imperfect poo poo made for a singular purpose with warts any time.

And scores are stupid. People should just read critical takes and come to their own conclusions. I really hate how scores take the focus off the game and onto the subjective scoring.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

unattended spaghetti posted:

And scores are stupid. People should just read critical takes and come to their own conclusions. I really hate how scores take the focus off the game and onto the subjective scoring.

Yeah. Lies of P was one of my favorite games from last year and that game has an 80 Metacritic. Numbers are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unless there's something severely wrong with the game, Metacritic ratings are more indicative of a game's production budget + the notoriety of the developer. Score herding exists hardcore in game reviews.