Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

RadiRoot posted:

lol if his photo op with unions saves his rear end

it won’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Even when I was a giant idpol lib way back when I thought this was the ugliest looking poo poo on earth

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

very disappointed 2020 gave liberals hope. 2024 everybody gets what they want back

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

Where's virgil brianna?

Edit: doh. Wrong person lol

That’s OJ

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

is pepsi ok posted:

Amazing how Dem supporters have convinced themselves that defeating Trump is the single most important and urgent thing in the world while the leaders they support demonstrate over and over that they don't actually give a poo poo about winning and will gladly throw countless votes in the trash to ban the evil China app.

loving managed rear end democracy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

is pepsi ok posted:

Amazing how Dem supporters have convinced themselves that defeating Trump is the single most important and urgent thing in the world while the leaders they support demonstrate over and over that they don't actually give a poo poo about winning and will gladly throw countless votes in the trash to ban the evil China app.

you've activated their trap card

by implying that a thing Biden did may impact his electoral chances, you are implicitly admitting that it is theoretically possible to not want to vote for him, which is in clear violation of VBNMW! the rest of this conversation must now be about how you personally have to VBNMW

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

if winning elections was actually the priority theyd make weed legal

it's a totally free policy that could probably generate a lot of tax revenue and come with patronage opportunities to pick winners in the new national weed industry that would spring up overnight (incidentally creating a major new source of campaign contributions for future elections), that is also incidentally incredibly popular with basically everyone

winning elections is not the priority

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

The Oldest Man posted:

it's a totally free policy that could probably generate a lot of tax revenue and come with patronage opportunities to pick winners in the new national weed industry that would spring up overnight, that is also incidentally incredibly popular with basically everyone

it’s not a free policy to the huge policing apparatus that’s funded to enforce prohibition

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mags posted:

it’s not a free policy to the huge policing apparatus that’s funded to enforce prohibition

i meant on the federal budget its a zero cost line item but yes obviously the reason they wont do it is because the cop and prison lobbies are more important to them than winning elections

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Oldest Man posted:

it's a totally free policy that could probably generate a lot of tax revenue and come with patronage opportunities to pick winners in the new national weed industry that would spring up overnight (incidentally creating a major new source of campaign contributions for future elections), that is also incidentally incredibly popular with basically everyone

you've activated another trap card

by saying weed should be legalized, you've implied that you want weed to be legalized and thus proved that you are a selfish bro (white) who just wants to smoke weed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

loquacius posted:

by saying weed should be legalized, you've implied that you want weed to be legalized and thus proved that you are a selfish bro (white) who just wants to smoke weed

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

illegal weed is there to allow cops to continue to harass minorities which is much more important to libs than winning elections

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

loquacius posted:

I'm a selfish bro that just wants to smoke weed (laudatory)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

In fact, anything that asks the ruling class to do anything that isn't enriching themselves and their position at the top of the hierarchy is verboten for us mere peasants. We simply don't understand as well as elites who graduated from Harvard and Yale how keeping weed criminalized and banning popular social media apps is Just Pragmatic Politics.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 17:43 on Apr 24, 2024

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
lmfao at will stancil comparing himself to 1939 poland

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

can someone explain to me again how tiktok not being owned by fuckerberg is a national security issue

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

loquacius posted:

Pick, is that you?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hello

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Oldest Man posted:

can someone explain to me again how tiktok not being owned by fuckerberg is a national security issue

What, you mean you don't think that China finding out that teens watch pink sauce videos is evil surveillance? Sure, Facebook and Google do this too, but that's different because they're white American.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

The Oldest Man posted:

you see because china is making it so people see pro palestine content instead of pro israel content and that's bad

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

Basically Zuckerberg will suppress content that the government wants suppressed and TikTok won’t.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
you know how the Russians singlehandedly installed Trump as President with ads on facebook? Now imagine that but on Chinese super-steroids. That's right, they're targeting your children and their innocent, pliable minds with anti-American propaganda and they're going to put Trump back in charge for the rest of your life.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

videokid gets it.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the invisible hand of the free market wants this.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

so you cannot argue from that pov. instead just realize your personal data is safer in chinas hands and not the usas hands.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I send my personal info and posts to the China government usually once per week via email since I didn't use tiktok....

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

anyone would a brain would be doing this too

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Also (and less sarcastically than my previous post), it's totally unfair that the inscrutable Chinese commies came up with a popular app while American capitalism has been in a holding pattern iterating on the same social media mess for years. American capital can't have someone beating them at their own game, and so they have to stage a hostile takeover and blubber that it's for "national security" reasons.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the free market.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

wrong thread

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

VideoKid posted:

Basically Zuckerberg will suppress content that the government wants suppressed and TikTok won’t.
ban all social media

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Look it's probably just a coinci--

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Lpzie posted:

wrong thread

let the marketplace of ideas decide what is the wrong thread

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

RadiRoot posted:

ban all social media

is sa social media?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RadiRoot posted:

ban all media

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

paging Willa to the thread

we already know the us government was in contact with facebook and twitter etc. in removing posts. tiktok likely doesnt return their phonecalls, and this is dangerous to them

yep, as I've been saying.

and the government wasn't just "in contact" with twitter but managed to get a bizarrely high no. of fbi/cia agents hired within or part of "working groups" for the purpose of censoring info it deemed to "undermine" the government or our country's fine institutions, like finance.

still, a twitter ban was just a glimmer in the eye of conservatives till oct. 7, after which groups like the ADL went on a full-out effort to get legislation passed.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Yep

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Also (and less sarcastically than my previous post), it's totally unfair that the inscrutable Chinese commies came up with a popular app while American capitalism has been in a holding pattern iterating on the same social media mess for years. American capital can't have someone beating them at their own game, and so they have to stage a hostile takeover and blubber that it's for "national security" reasons.

Look, it's unfair, because US companies have to make a profit, while the Chinese get subsidies from the government and... Wait, I'm just being handed a piece of paper marked "LockMar F-35 Budget Allocations"...

https://carnegieendowment.org/2022/04/25/countering-unfair-chinese-economic-practices-and-intellectual-property-theft-pub-86925

quote:

Risks of Interdependence

Technology is increasingly at the heart of America’s many complaints about unfair and illegal Chinese economic practices. For example, Washington argues that Beijing’s extensive and opaque subsidy regime—which includes preferential government financing and procurement contracts—has helped Chinese tech giants like Huawei reach their dominant market positions. Another long-standing sore point is Chinese government discrimination against foreign firms in such areas as regulatory enforcement, licensing, and market access; American tech companies are the most likely of all U.S. firms in China to perceive such discrimination. Likewise, China’s practice of pressuring foreign companies into sharing trade secrets and intellectual property with Chinese corporate partners has disproportionate impact on U.S. companies built around specific technology rights, know-how, and data. And the list goes on.

As these examples illustrate, the technology sector is a major target of unfair Chinese economic practices. Technology can also enable China to obtain unfair advantages in all sectors. For example, the Chinese government carries out large-scale cyber espionage for the benefit of domestic firms, and it shields Chinese companies from accountability when they conduct their own cyber espionage. The U.S. government classifies these policies as unfair trade practices, and it worries that American technological links to China—for example, through the digital supply chain—provide additional access points for Chinese cyber thefts.

Although “unfairness” may be in the eye of the beholder, Washington sees China as violating specific bilateral and multilateral commitments, including WTO rules—that is, Beijing’s own promises. Unfortunately, the United States has had only limited success in resolving these issues via formal trade dispute mechanisms and direct diplomacy. Beijing remains strongly committed to its economic strategies, and international trade obligations are difficult to apply and enforce in these kinds of cases. With frustration mounting, Washington has begun to take more unilateral measures, including curbs on the flow of technology to and from China.

U.S. officials have pointed to several ways that technology controls help combat unfair Chinese practices. First, they can serve as a punishment meant to induce changes in Chinese behavior. When Trump implemented tariffs on large categories of Chinese goods—including tech products like smart devices, flash memory devices, and electronic components—he said he was imposing costs for China’s intellectual property theft and seeking concessions at the bargaining table. Second, technology restrictions can aim to counteract the benefits China receives from unfair practices and thus equalize the economic competition, in much the same way that countervailing duties offset foreign subsidies. Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo once told Congress that the Entity List—which prevents designated Chinese companies from obtaining U.S. technologies, ostensibly for national security reasons—can “level the playing field for the American worker.” Finally, technology controls can reduce China’s opportunities to act unfairly. For example, the U.S. government has strongly discouraged American telecoms from using Chinese equipment, in part so that Beijing cannot leverage this equipment to steal U.S. intellectual property.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

lmfao at will stancil comparing himself to 1939 poland

right wing and about to be destroyed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If Elon hadn't wasted all his money on Twitter he could be buying TikTok right now. Loser! Idiot!