Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Patreon Update!

Red Letter Media posted:

Upcoming Video

We're currently working on a Half in the Bag for Late Night with the Devil. Coming soon!

So it looks like the discussion from two pages back will be relevant again very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

priznat posted:

I watched the Season 3 finale of Bluey that just dropped recently and it is barely even for kids, almost all of it was more tuned towards adults. The kids will watch and enjoy it because their favourite dog friends are there but yeah it was really a story geared for grownups. Very surprising!

No it's for children.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Patreon Update!

So it looks like the discussion from two pages back will be relevant again very soon.

but but DUNC2 re:view, I mean I love it but I need their opinion to match mine or else it is invalid

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The trailer for M. Night's new movie looks interesting

https://youtu.be/PK1ZRnHde4s?si=ozaXuixjlw4Ly0V6

You get the juicy twist halfway thru!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

Tom Cruise is finally going to breakdance on Half in the bag???

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Gripweed posted:

No it's for children.

It's for children and parents, very specifically. Not broadly "adults" but people who have kids.

I would kind of be interested in seeing what the same creative team might be able to pull off with something for a totally different audience, because they are amazing storytellers. They do a lot in 7 minutes, and the only half-hour episode really does feel like a movie because of how efficient the storytelling is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sir Lemming posted:

It's for children and parents, very specifically. Not broadly "adults" but people who have kids.

I would kind of be interested in seeing what the same creative team might be able to pull off with something for a totally different audience, because they are amazing storytellers. They do a lot in 7 minutes, and the only half-hour episode really does feel like a movie because of how efficient the storytelling is.

Yeah this 100%. Did you watch the finale? It was longer than usual (29 minutes!), and so different. It was just a story about the adults and the kids were just there and reacting to what was going on almost like a greek chorus. My kids were watching it and entranced but it was like they were another one of the kids in the show trying to figure out what was going on with the adults. It was really interesting.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Bluey: Resurgence

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sir Lemming posted:

I’m glad you enjoy the tv show for toddlers.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sir Lemming posted:

But there's no elevated train in NYC, immersion ruined *ding*

alright am I the dummy missing the joke, cause there are still elevated sections of both train and subway in NYC

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mozi posted:

Bluey: Resurgence

Bluey: Revengeance

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't know the entertainment product you are talking about specifically, but there has been a noticeable distaste for "family entertainment" online among goon-like people. Like the best cartoons always had jokes that only the adults would get. It would not be stuff that most adults would watch, but there was enough humor for them to keep their interest while watching with their kids.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Genre: Preschool

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

piratepilates posted:

alright am I the dummy missing the joke, cause there are still elevated sections of both train and subway in NYC

Not in Manhattan at least, certainly not to the extent shown there. I've never cared but it's a thing I've constantly heard CinemaSins types complain about.

lobsterminator posted:

I don't know the entertainment product you are talking about specifically, but there has been a noticeable distaste for "family entertainment" online among goon-like people. Like the best cartoons always had jokes that only the adults would get. It would not be stuff that most adults would watch, but there was enough humor for them to keep their interest while watching with their kids.

Yes, but also a lot of the show's jokes and messaging are designed for kids and parents to enjoy together. I don't think childless adults would get much out of it. It's not the thing where they put in some witty references to placate parents so they don't have to suffer completely.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sir Lemming posted:

Not in Manhattan at least, certainly not to the extent shown there. I've never cared but it's a thing I've constantly heard CinemaSins types complain about.

The Metro-North goes elevated coming out of 97th street, has an elevated stop at 125th street, and remains above-ground going through the Bronx 🤓

I'm not watching that video or anything, I just wanted to be autistic for a second.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

do you guys like trash truck? i enjoyed the premise at first and my friends swear by it but the whole world starts to fall apart when you think about it. like lets put aside the issue of the living trash truck that can magically enter through the tiny doors of homes with no problem. but where are the other vehicles? are they friendly living creatures too? the streets are utterly empty, the series seems to be daring you to ask the question where are all the other drat vehicles? like some poo poo has gone down, a human-transformer war. but the show never really gets around to addressing that mystery. and the underlying message of the show seems to be that raccoons, bears, and big trash trucks are your cuddly friends, and if you go up to them and let them pick you up into their magic mechanical arms they might share an ice cream or two with you. and i don't think that's a sound message to be imparting to people

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

lobsterminator posted:

Counterpoint: There are entire megathreads on this very forum where people get into extensive arguments about the minute details of children's media, where fully grown adults (often without kids) will get extremely angry about each others' preferred head-canon about poo poo like Steven Universe or that new She-Ra cartoon.

Mocking those man-children by pretending to have a similar deep experience with loving Bluey (which is what I'm assuming OP was going for here) seems like a reasonable piece of satire.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

embarrassing to reveal you watch media for dumb little children in this, the star wars and comic book movie thread.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ah yes, the "toxic fandom" discourse, good to see you again

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
man space cop sucked

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

theres like two good bits. scene where patton oswalt is improvving is downright embarrassing though

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dreezy posted:

man space cop sucked

bitterandtwisted posted:

embarrassing to reveal you watch media for dumb little children in this, the star wars and comic book movie thread.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just calls it like I see it, and Bluey is drat good content. Probably requires someone being a parent to fully get on board and I’m not turning into someone who updates their fandom wiki or goes to convention in full costume or anything.

The fact that kids shows are usually just forgettable and/or ignorable for adults makes it just pretty unusual that’s all! gently caress me I am real glad I don’t have to watch poo poo like thomas the tank engine or any of those PBS CG crapfests anymore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've never seen Space Cop.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Bluey is OK but it's no Spiderman and Elsa

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mozi posted:

Bluey is OK but it's no Spiderman and Elsa

How else are kids gonna learn about male superhero pregnancies!!?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

priznat posted:

How else are kids gonna learn about male superhero pregnancies!!?

Same way we did, the woods

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gutcruncher posted:

Same way we did, the woods

Sex education with Len Kabasinski

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

fallout's ok

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's a huge difference between saying "I find this show written for babies to be amusing on a surface level" and "This cartoon written for babies conforms/clashes with my philosophical and political viewpoints as an eternally online grognard, and I think this is what the writers were intending all along."

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Liking media as an adult that targets kids is fine. Nothing wrong with that, I like that stuff myself. But drat it really feels like far too many adults are either ashamed of liking it and have to pretend it’s way deeper than it is, or they haven’t expanded their horizons beyond children’s media so their perspective on what counts as deep is hella skewed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'll wait until I hear Jay and Josh's opinions on My Little Pony to choose my stance.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think it's fine to enjoy kids media as an adult. I also think it's weird to obsess over kids media as an adult, similar to how it's weird to obsess over any media as an adult. If enjoying a piece of media is a major part of your personality, that's bad regardless of whether it's Star Wars or My Little Pony or Tom Cruise Breakdancing.

I don't get that vibe with the posters who enjoy Bluey, because they seem to mostly be parents that are happy to also enjoy a show with their kids rather than tolerate it. I'm sure there's weirdos that go overboard in their fandom with it, but I also have a weird co-worker obsessed with stalker movies and The Joker Movie, he won't shut up about how much he's watched The Joker Movie.

I think what I'm saying is that it's cool to like things, even childish things, just don't be loving weird and obsessive about it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

priznat posted:

I just calls it like I see it, and Bluey is drat good content. Probably requires someone being a parent to fully get on board and I’m not turning into someone who updates their fandom wiki or goes to convention in full costume or anything.

The fact that kids shows are usually just forgettable and/or ignorable for adults makes it just pretty unusual that’s all! gently caress me I am real glad I don’t have to watch poo poo like thomas the tank engine or any of those PBS CG crapfests anymore.

I'm a parent and we tried to watch a few episodes with our kid and couldn't really stand it

mystes
May 31, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Counterpoint: There are entire megathreads on this very forum where people get into extensive arguments about the minute details of children's media, where fully grown adults (often without kids) will get extremely angry about each others' preferred head-canon about poo poo like Steven Universe or that new She-Ra cartoon.
She-ra is actually pretty good. I initially wasn't that impressed by the first season and stopped watching because thought it was just going to be repetitive but when I went back and finished it, it has a very good plot arc over the show if you're willing to accept some degree of the surprisingly serious main plot getting randomly sidetracked by zany hijinks every couple episodes

Aside from the zany hijinks and not showing sex or too much on screen gore it actually seems way too intense for its y7 rating (like I guess the rating is just based on a checklist of stuff but I probably wouldn't recommend showing it to most 7 year olds because there's an absolutely massive amount of abusive relationships and mass murder that's just not shown very graphically and poo poo)

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 24, 2024

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm a parent and we tried to watch a few episodes with our kid and couldn't really stand it

monster

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why watch a decent family show when we could lament about how The Mandalorian used to be good and inspired poo poo like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJH_RbnrGUs

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Why watch a decent family show when we could lament about how The Mandalorian used to be good and inspired poo poo like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJH_RbnrGUs

I get a little sad every time I see this. The first two seasons really scratched the perfect pulp-sci-fi/fantasy itch for me. Then they did everything they could to completely ruin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watched some X-Men 97. It hits all the nostalgia buttons, but seems way more dramatic than I remember it being when I was a kid. In every episode, someone's getting murdered, or turning out to be a clone, or sending their newborn to the future because it's got a horrible disease that they can't cure in the present.

Also they killed my favorite one from when I was kid :mad: