Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
In honour of my gaming group beginning a Rogue Trader campaign this coming Saturday I have purchased this game on sale. I have no idea what I'm in for, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Trading, roguishly. Make sure to have your companions announce your presence at every opportunity for maximum Rogue Trading.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

Trading, roguishly. Make sure to have your companions announce your presence at every opportunity for maximum Rogue Trading.

Gotcha, I am now prepared

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Saw this was on sale enough to make me grab it off of my wish list, I had passed at launch because Owlcat games are never really "done" past the first couple of acts at launch. Would y'all describe the game as feeling complete in the back half to third of the story?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Saw this was on sale enough to make me grab it off of my wish list, I had passed at launch because Owlcat games are never really "done" past the first couple of acts at launch. Would y'all describe the game as feeling complete in the back half to third of the story?

Here for this question but have not purchased yet. Big ham lore nerd but gun shy on being early to an owlcat rpg

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's fine, probably in a better state then Pathfinder or Wrath were even after a year of patches.

Act 4/5 are kind of barebones even if the main quest stuff can get really good. They don't introduce anything really new to explore, so if you spent all of Act 2 checking out every single system on the map, Act 4 is only companion quests, main quests, and a few new side quests.

Their combat is sort of reverse difficulty, where starting out its tough cover based shooting trying to eke out advantages, and then by level 30 you are a god of death raining fire and bullets down across the map rarely taking more then 3 rounds. If you really engage with all the mechanics its pretty easy even on the harder modes.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
I beat it this evening and honestly I'd wait on it still.

It's really great in it's best moments but having done all the exploring in act 2 I felt pretty much on rails beyond that point.

Had some show stopping bugs in act 3 that detracted from what I thought was otherwise a cool setup.

It'll eventually be a really great game, but that'll probably with or after the first dlc release.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Doing all the exploring in Act 2 turns Act 4 into a game of pixel hunting to figure out which planets the new stuff is on because the Rumors list is very poorly thought-out. It's half of a quest log that doesn't function. I'm in Act 4. The pictured rumor is for the Drukhari ship that lands on Rykad Majoris in chapter 1. Not only can nothing be done with it, I investigated the site in chapter 1. I completed the rumor, but the log doesn't care, and there's no way to mark something "complete" or "ignored."

Down the list, Xenos on a Rampage? That's the Drukhari again but in Chapter 2, informing you of the presence of the raiders. What, past Chapter 3, does this have to do with anything? No poo poo there's Xenos on a Rampage! You've been to their city! You may have even done some retributive warcrimes there!

Heavenly Chariot is the encounter on Amberworld with the chaos disk that you beat by doing a giga prayer session, and is honestly metal as hell. I did it. The King of Distortion is gone. Why is this rumor still in my log?

I don't know why I'm ranting about this all of a sudden beyond the fact that the idea of this system--hints that could lead to quests or turn out to be nothing--is a cool one and this is just the piss poor implementation that makes it that much worse and I'm unreasonably angry about it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The rumors mechanic is dogshit and trying to chase them down is not worth it, even if they manage to fix it so it accurately tracks them.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Warmachine posted:

Doing all the exploring in Act 2 turns Act 4 into a game of pixel hunting to figure out which planets the new stuff is on because the Rumors list is very poorly thought-out. It's half of a quest log that doesn't function. I'm in Act 4. The pictured rumor is for the Drukhari ship that lands on Rykad Majoris in chapter 1. Not only can nothing be done with it, I investigated the site in chapter 1. I completed the rumor, but the log doesn't care, and there's no way to mark something "complete" or "ignored."

Down the list, Xenos on a Rampage? That's the Drukhari again but in Chapter 2, informing you of the presence of the raiders. What, past Chapter 3, does this have to do with anything? No poo poo there's Xenos on a Rampage! You've been to their city! You may have even done some retributive warcrimes there!

Heavenly Chariot is the encounter on Amberworld with the chaos disk that you beat by doing a giga prayer session, and is honestly metal as hell. I did it. The King of Distortion is gone. Why is this rumor still in my log?

I don't know why I'm ranting about this all of a sudden beyond the fact that the idea of this system--hints that could lead to quests or turn out to be nothing--is a cool one and this is just the piss poor implementation that makes it that much worse and I'm unreasonably angry about it.

Also if you’re in the Expanse view Rumours absolutely ought to have a “Go To System” button that pans the camera to their system.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

RedSky posted:

I beat it this evening and honestly I'd wait on it still.

It's really great in it's best moments but having done all the exploring in act 2 I felt pretty much on rails beyond that point.

Had some show stopping bugs in act 3 that detracted from what I thought was otherwise a cool setup.

It'll eventually be a really great game, but that'll probably with or after the first dlc release.

Thanks, I beat it at it's worst but I needed to know if it would be a good idea to introduce the game to my friends for coop play, but my initial assessment of "wait at least six months from launch" seems apt still

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HopperUK posted:

In honour of my gaming group beginning a Rogue Trader campaign this coming Saturday I have purchased this game on sale. I have no idea what I'm in for, lmao

The rule book is great for story ideas and dogshit for rule consistency and coherency. Be prepared for the GM making rulings and simplifying things because the rules are not on your side. With me and four players combing through the book we're still not sure what difficult terrain does. It's mentioned repeatedly but it's like they left out the box explaining what effect it has.

There's a great package of third party GM tools and spreadsheets floating around online that I'd be happy to share. Even a program that'll generate new star systems for you.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Arglebargle III posted:

The rule book is great for story ideas and dogshit for rule consistency and coherency. Be prepared for the GM making rulings and simplifying things because the rules are not on your side. With me and four players combing through the book we're still not sure what difficult terrain does. It's mentioned repeatedly but it's like they left out the box explaining what effect it has.

There's a great package of third party GM tools and spreadsheets floating around online that I'd be happy to share. Even a program that'll generate new star systems for you.

Yeah, I ran loads of RT back in the day and love the setting but maaan the system is not well written. TBH I’d probably just use Imperium Maledictum now, the successor to that line of RPGs.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
There's currently a pretty long post-release survey so you can put in some suggestions about stuff you like or dislike, which abilities are overpowered or useless, etc: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/4177726963574861662?l=english

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Promethium posted:

There's currently a pretty long post-release survey so you can put in some suggestions about stuff you like or dislike, which abilities are overpowered or useless, etc: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/4177726963574861662?l=english

Funny fact: when I did the survey, they forgot to include Jae as a romance.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh sure, if you have a link that'd be ace, I can punt it to my GM. I'm not really worried about rules to be honest, we ignore half of any given system most of the time. It's story that matters most to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I'm not really worried about rules to be honest, we ignore half of any given system most of the time. It's story that matters most to me.

Most ttrpgs are badly enough written that this is a fair default mindset

D&D included (especially)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The official RT RPG is hella janky and overcomplicated (and it legit impressed me that the Owlcat adaptation was even jankier), but I had a lot of good fun with it for several years of campaigns.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ZearothK posted:

The official RT RPG is hella janky and overcomplicated (and it legit impressed me that the Owlcat adaptation was even jankier), but I had a lot of good fun with it for several years of campaigns.

The Only War series is great for RPGs as well, loved those games. Everyone is a kind of guardsman so awful at everything, upto and including being a psyker

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Aramoro posted:

The Only War series is great for RPGs as well, loved those games. Everyone is a kind of guardsman so awful at everything, upto and including being a psyker

Yeah, I think Only War is the iteration of that system that worked the best in aligning mechanics and fiction. Easily the one that I'd houserule the least, and barely, if I were to revisit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Oh sure, if you have a link that'd be ace, I can punt it to my GM. I'm not really worried about rules to be honest, we ignore half of any given system most of the time. It's story that matters most to me.

http://www.medievalfuture.com/tilt/roguetrader/RogueTraderGeneratorTools.zip

Here's the star system generator.

And useful spreadsheet tools:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 24, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cheers friend!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Promethium posted:

Filled that in, mostly highlighting all the good stuff.

Although I really wanted to complain about there only being one Iconoclast-themed voice for the MC, when Dogmatic and Heretical MCs get two voices to choose from, but there was no appropriate place in the survey for that. :/

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
These guys have asked "Did you get enough navigation points?" and added an answer "No, the lack of it stopped my progress!"

They know. And they laugh at me.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

In regards to navigation points, I saw a limited resource and in true gamer fashion proceeded to refuse to spend any of it unless absolutely necessary.

While this left me with plenty for the necessary quests, it made the game drag on since nearly every jump had some "in flight entertainment" in the form of daemons.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Floppychop posted:

In regards to navigation points, I saw a limited resource and in true gamer fashion proceeded to refuse to spend any of it unless absolutely necessary.

While this left me with plenty for the necessary quests, it made the game drag on since nearly every jump had some "in flight entertainment" in the form of daemons.

It would have been way more fun if all the ship boarding encounters let you include your ship guards, and you could be upgrading them throughout the game with your excess equipment or something until they're essentially Cadian Shock Troopers.

You can sometimes spend cargo per encounter to equip your ship troops and resolve it that way but there's no real benefit besides time saved and you lose cargo which you pretty much need every scrap of.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I traveled exclusively via safe green paths during my playthrough, and to explore all of Act 2's map I was 2 points short.

If anything, there are too many navigator points because I don't know what a void random encounter looks like even.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jack Trades posted:

I traveled exclusively via safe green paths during my playthrough, and to explore all of Act 2's map I was 2 points short.

If anything, there are too many navigator points because I don't know what a void random encounter looks like even.
You missed a lot of fun flavor

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The biggest problem with Navigator points is they are purely a timesink. There's no game in them at all, it's just busy work that wastes your time. If they were limited then you'd have to make choices but they're not, just takes time. The whole maps section is a pointless time sink.

Unless there's someone out there that enjoys doing 10 jumps to sort a colony event that does nothing and takes half an hour.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aramoro posted:

The biggest problem with Navigator points is they are purely a timesink. There's no game in them at all, it's just busy work that wastes your time. If they were limited then you'd have to make choices but they're not, just takes time. The whole maps section is a pointless time sink.

Unless there's someone out there that enjoys doing 10 jumps to sort a colony event that does nothing and takes half an hour.

They should line up all the NPCs and encounters in one big line instead.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Aramoro posted:

The game gave no indication that you'll need navigator points for anything other than making travel easier. I could not imagine a sane designer would make a system where this resource is simultaneously hard to replenish, easy to spend and necessary for progression so I spent it a lot. I cheated it to continue the progression but didn't want to cheat more after that. Then I realized there's just 3 encounters from warp and they're the same every time, so I said screw it at spent 20 more points on making sure I won't have these random encounters again

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

They should line up all the NPCs and encounters in one big line instead.

Now you're thinking.

There are some random events, but not a huge number so you just end up repeating them over and over again as you jump around. That's just not fun.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
On one of my early dangerous jumps I got the event where you have to solo defend for a while and I couldn't manage it with my low level officer so I kept everything at least yellow for a while. Eventually I was strong enough to beat the event and from there on it didn't really matter, the other random fights mostly exist as a potential rep grind.

The game doesn't communicate it well but you never need to create new paths since new red paths will spontaneously appear to unreachable systems after finishing some story quests (they're even nearly invisible on the map unless you realize they've appeared).

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I assumed paths would become less deadly after multiple trips. Seems weird that you can do the Foulstone to Footfall run a dozen times and each is still just as hard as the first.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

pentyne posted:

You can sometimes spend cargo per encounter to equip your ship troops and resolve it that way but there's no real benefit besides time saved and you lose cargo which you pretty much need every scrap of.

One of the best parts of my Heretic playthrough was keeping one of the Forge Fiends from Kiava Gamma. It gives an option in warp encounters where the Fiend just kills them all. No battle no nothing.

Saved tons of Navigator insight after that.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Promethium posted:

The game doesn't communicate it well but you never need to create new paths since new red paths will spontaneously appear to unreachable systems after finishing some story quests (they're even nearly invisible on the map unless you realize they've appeared).

Maybe it's my colorblindness but I never saw this and I looked very hard before cheating. All in all I had to create 2 new routes for the main quest and I think 1 for companion quest. Might also be a bug in my personal playthrough, I had some other persistent bugs that most people don't experience.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's also just annoying and unnecessary to have to take damage and do unnecessary spam fights in the ship all because I suboptimally distributed my nav points between nodes earlier in the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alchenar posted:

It's also just annoying and unnecessary to have to take damage and do unnecessary spam fights in the ship all because I suboptimally distributed my nav points between nodes earlier in the game.

How? There's enough points to make every route green.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Only If you get the right random events and choose the right option in the Cassia storyline that gives you points. Even then I assume you mean the trunk routes because best will in the world you cannot turn every route green.

If you don't then you have to jump back on forth on amber routes till you get the event.

It's an objectively terrible game mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

Once I decided I can no longer tolerate random events and turned every route on my way to 1 level of danger (I understand that can still give you an occasional bad event but not a fight) I went to something like -20 points (thanks to cheats). Early on a couple of times I didn't notice I'm chosing a wrong system so I created a couple of routes I didn't need and didn't use, which on one hand was my mistake and on the other the game shouldn't make doing this as effortless and easy as it is, it should be a different button and the game should have a decency of saying "you can jump to this system by established routes you know".

Even if we agree this is a skill issue we're not getting anything out of this mechanic. It would make some sense if, say, some colony buildings and events gave you this resource so you'd have to make a choice. I've heard you can get points with an event but I never saw this during my game, and I've played every random fights arena 2-3 times each. It would make sense if every/most negative encounter rewarded you with a point so that you jump between loss and gain, but farming those points seems to be unreliable and hard, not to mention that I have finished the game and only know you can farm points from other people.