Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

MJBuddy posted:

First time I ran into that was amazing because it was like 60 hours into a run and to have something so unexpected that far in was such a treat

that's a really great monster because it uses an asset you've seen so many times you stop noticing it, completely sandbags you the first few times :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kinda wish they weren't targetable in VATS until after they start moving though

The first one you usually run into is a fun reveal otherwise

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

RoastBeef posted:

JAM doesn't need much beyond the usual script extender stuff

quote:

Requirements:
- xNVSE
- JIP LN NVSE Plugin
- UIO
- JohnnyGuitar NVSE - yes, this is an actual requirement.
- lStewieAl's Tweaks
- kNVSE Animation Plugin
- 4 main DLCs.

um, what?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the only two of those that are not part of "the usual script extender stuff" are UIO, which is a fundamental UI mod framework lots of other mods hang off of, and iStewie's Tweaks, which is a super common/useful mod for tweaking all kinds of little (and big) things about the game. so it's a pretty basic list of requirements.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty happy with my Camp in 76

I had some fancier camps set up earlier, with multiple buildings and such, but if i had to move it, it was annoying to place everything down so I just built a single house with most stuff inside and only a few things outside. I really wish they'd up the budget for the player, for all the stuff they give you, its hard to place things.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When is the PS5 update supposed to drop?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Whaaat? Todd Howard (episode 5 spoiler) killed the NCR???

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Rinkles posted:

Whaaat? Todd Howard (episode 5 spoiler) killed the NCR???

No. That was just Shady Sands. The NCR is much larger than that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That’s why I was surprised, but I guess I misunderstood what was being said/implied.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Gonkish posted:

God dammit I tried 76 and it's actually not terrible. I mean, it's hilariously poorly optimized and the atom shop is a scam, sure, but it's... still fun? gently caress. I'll probably get bored when I run out of story, but still I can't complain because I got it for free somewhere along the line.

I assume you're on PC - try this. https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-unlock-your-framerate-in-fallout-76/#:~:text=If%20you%20search%20for%20'iPresentInterval,and%20remove%20the%20framerate%20limiter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

That’s why I was surprised, but I guess I misunderstood what was being said/implied.

Without spoilers I'd say that the show has a very local context that mostly focuses on the goings on of the Los Angeles region.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe people got confused because the town is called NCR in Fallout 2.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I mean I thought they were implying another civilizational collapse, not just a city.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

I mean I thought they were implying another civilizational collapse, not just a city.

For the purposes of the show's narrative, yeah, it kinda is. For the greater context of the wasteland, well, not so much. Todd has also come out to clarify things after the show ended.

Regardless of the current state of the NCR in other regions, the show's intent was definitely to use the nuking of Shady Sands to reduce the (local) wasteland back to square one. A thriving community that made a good go of rebuilding is now gone because of the evils of the old world refusing to allow the new to flourish. Shady Sands is the most recognizable symbol of postwar reconstruction in Fallout. It's not refurbished, it's brand new and flourishing from a small town to the center of a nation. And now it's gone, and with it all the hopes that came with its existence.

That's the narrative intent of destroying the NCR capital, even if they do potentially end up walking back the "downfall of civilization" angle in later seasons.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 25, 2024

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I initially assumed it was meant to be a twist to the flashbacks, where the BoS did it during a war with the NCR. But I guess it's more nuanced? They do show that the core of the NCR was pretty drat well established and full of tech with the Boneyard in the background. Some pretty clear "in the shadows of the old world" visuals.

But, given the final scenes and a few background ads, they're definitely still around because of where we're going next. And it gives some good drive to bitterness, especially if any of the characters make the assumptions I did.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Fallout 76:

I recently started playing this again for the first time in a long time and I'm enjoying it way more than before. I just have a few questions:

I usually like single shot rifles in Fallout/other games but 76 has far too many ambushes from groups of things that swarm you so I'm wanting to switch to auto rifles as suggested by a lot of people but apparently they are pretty poo poo until later in the game? I'm lvl 18 at the moment and the ones I've tried have been pretty underwhelming. Is there any particular time I should switch from single shot rifle to auto? And what would be a good easy to acquire entry level auto rifle to start with?

Second question: I'm thinking of spending atoms on a second CAMP slot. If I do, how does moving multiple camps work? Is it some poo poo system where you always move the most recently placed CAMP or can you choose which one to move?

Third question: Any suggestions on the best things to buy with atoms? Things with actual utility, I mean. And any must-have SPECIAL cards?

Thanks in advance to anyone who read all this, let alone answers it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

You start with two camp slots already. You activate one from the menu, and that one appears in the world unless it's in a space occupied by another camp. You move the camp that's currently active when using that function. Your inactive camp does not appear in the world.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

Fallout 76:

I recently started playing this again for the first time in a long time and I'm enjoying it way more than before. I just have a few questions:

I usually like single shot rifles in Fallout/other games but 76 has far too many ambushes from groups of things that swarm you so I'm wanting to switch to auto rifles as suggested by a lot of people but apparently they are pretty poo poo until later in the game? I'm lvl 18 at the moment and the ones I've tried have been pretty underwhelming. Is there any particular time I should switch from single shot rifle to auto? And what would be a good easy to acquire entry level auto rifle to start with?

Second question: I'm thinking of spending atoms on a second CAMP slot. If I do, how does moving multiple camps work? Is it some poo poo system where you always move the most recently placed CAMP or can you choose which one to move?

Third question: Any suggestions on the best things to buy with atoms? Things with actual utility, I mean. And any must-have SPECIAL cards?

Thanks in advance to anyone who read all this, let alone answers it.

Buy this plan from one of the listed vendors https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Plan:_Handmade_gun
Craft and scrap as many as you can as you play, scrapping has a chance to unlock mods for that specific weapon.

You switch camps on the map screen. If it succeeds (the spot for the new camp may be blocked by another players camp) it's permanent until you switch again.
Just use it for fast travel, FT to your active camp is always free.

Coffee machine, popcorn machine, fusion core recharger (if you use them)
SPECIAL build slots are very convenient. You need one crafting one at least, two if you do a lot of base building. One with max CHA for selling stuff, and ofc at least one adventuring build :)

What Special cards do you mean, the base skills or legendaries?
For basic stuff obviously your weapon type (commando for the Handmade) and you probably want to sneak in the early game at least.
Real important ones are concentrated fire, hard bargain when selling/buying from NPC vendors, inspirational (always play in a team), gunsmith, Escape Artist perma must-have for any stealth, and many many Luck cards

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 25, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
People have mentioned that getting the current Cold Shoulder bundle for 1000 Atoms is a good deal earlier in the thread, anyone else agree?

sauer kraut posted:

Buy this plan from one of the listed vendors https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Plan:_Handmade_gun
Craft and scrap as many as you can as you play, scrapping has a chance to unlock mods for that specific weapon.

The problem I found with Handmade as a new player is that the bullets the enemies drop aren't nearly enough to replenish the bullets you spend killing them, which is not a problem for many other weapons I could use at those levels. Like, that was a real struggle with it. I imagine it gets better when you're 50+ and cranking bullets out on your own like a small factory.

I ended up carrying a Combat Shotgun for swarms, then switching to a really good Plasma Pistol (+Armor Penetration and +to aim in VATS) and speccing into Gunslinger, which solved all of my Feral issues.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 25, 2024

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That shotgun is for specialized group tanking builds, crippling event bosses and chilling them.
Shotties are real awful otherwise imho, if you get that close might aswell use a chainsaw.
That said if you have ANY interest at all in them, the cold shoulder is by far the best one. Its cold damage get multiplied by everything in addition to the base damage, and it has very nice shell capacity :shrug:

e; oh are you asking about leveling to 50 with the cold shoulder? yeah sure. Anything will do really.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 25, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I guess I was asking 'is it worth 1000 Atoms'.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Cold Shoulder is extremely nice because it shreds even if you aren't specced into shotguns.

It is, by far, the best shotgun in the game.

If you have the atoms to spare, get it. If you want to save up for something else, run a buttload of Expeditions and get it from the Stamps Vendor in the Whitespring Refuge instead.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Psyker posted:

I assume you're on PC - try this. https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-unlock-your-framerate-in-fallout-76/#:~:text=If%20you%20search%20for%20'iPresentInterval,and%20remove%20the%20framerate%20limiter.

Yeah, that looks like part of the rigmarole I went through the other night.
I've actually unearthed a way to supposedly enable vrr, but I'm unconvinced tbh, but I'll post it once I try.
Oh yeah, that link is kinda funny, it has the first mention of FRAPS I've seen in a long time outside the misty eyed recollections, heh.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm going to try 76 for the first time today. I read some posts back about buying Cold Shoulder schematics. Anything else I should buy/whatever right away?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Add me to the list of people coming back to this because of the TV show. Playing the PS4 version, it's been two years since I last played. I am so lost.

My main question is: Any good guides for the Scorched Earth quest / event? Something that lays it out like, here's what you should bring, here's a good special loadout, etc. I never could get through the bunker to actually launch the nuke.

I'm level 109 so presumably I'll be able to do enough damage with a group in the actual Scorch Queen fight. I bought the Cold Shoulder bundle, but I'll have to dig through my stash and see if I have any other decent weapons. Pretty sure my power armor isn't great either. I've been server hopping a little bit to see if the event is active but no luck so far. That would be easiest.

I just need the trophy for completing Scorched Earth and the one for finding 20 magazines to get the platinum. Bought a month of 1st so I'll probably hunt mags in a private world while remembering how to play. I also need to rebuild my main base since it kept showing up as blocked. So I made a makeshift second one until I can take the time to build everything again, not that it was much. Not really into the base building side of things.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Megazver posted:

I guess I was asking 'is it worth 1000 Atoms'.

If you bought enough CAMP and respec slots, the coffee/popcorn makers and the core recharger, there is nothing but cosmetics to spend Atoms on.
Worth is subjective so that is a bit hard to answer :unsmith:

Paying2Lurk posted:

Add me to the list of people coming back to this because of the TV show. Playing the PS4 version, it's been two years since I last played. I am so lost.

My main question is: Any good guides for the Scorched Earth quest / event? Something that lays it out like, here's what you should bring, here's a good special loadout, etc. I never could get through the bunker to actually launch the nuke.

I'm level 109 so presumably I'll be able to do enough damage with a group in the actual Scorch Queen fight. I bought the Cold Shoulder bundle, but I'll have to dig through my stash and see if I have any other decent weapons. Pretty sure my power armor isn't great either. I've been server hopping a little bit to see if the event is active but no luck so far. That would be easiest.

I just need the trophy for completing Scorched Earth and the one for finding 20 magazines to get the platinum. Bought a month of 1st so I'll probably hunt mags in a private world while remembering how to play. I also need to rebuild my main base since it kept showing up as blocked. So I made a makeshift second one until I can take the time to build everything again, not that it was much. Not really into the base building side of things.

Just teleport to Drop Site #9 with your best long range weapon and wait on the roof, and do enough damage to the queen that you're counted as a participant. I dunno exactly how much that is, but not too difficult :shobon:
If she's flying, cripple the intact wings or she'll drag you across the worst zone in the game for half an hour. If she's on the ground, aim for the head and let'er rip.
You can make yourself very useful clearing the adds she summons even if you can't shoot the queen 100% of the time.
It becomes second nature soon enough, and by the time you collected all Prime blueprints you should be a bit sick of it.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 25, 2024

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Well I'm never creating a new character again.

(Just did Rose's quests.)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Any reason not to start at level 20?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Absolutely not the early levels are dreadful tbh.
I uh do hope you get the perk cards x 20 retroactively from levelling up though?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Absolutely not the early levels are dreadful tbh.
I uh do hope you get the perk cards x 20 retroactively from levelling up though?

I dunno man, I'm sitting at the menu asking if I want to start at level 20 or not. I can choose a SPECIAL build and that's it.

P.S. What SPECIAL build should I choose.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I had a level 160 or so commando and wanted to reroll to focus on quests a bit more, started at 20 and just did commando again.

The perk load out it gave was very good. I'm positive run on ammo, good vats starter build. It gives you lone wanderer AND team up CHR cards and one pack. I haven't tried the others but it's a very good starter build

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Paying2Lurk posted:

Most important thing to remember for a silo run is to actually bring a Nuke Keycard and a backup, in case you mess up the code.

No need to run the stupid decryption sequence, just use

https://roguetrader.com/

For your first silo run I always suggest to either get with a group to have your back or you go:

1) Stealth. The louder you are, the more enemies you attract. Get the keycard for the laser barrier, photo glitch your way through the big rear end door after the room with the 2 Gutsies, repeat on the next big rear end door directly across the room, left, up the stairs. Take out the turrets, be aware that there are always 2 Assaultrons. Kneecap them or aim for the Combat Inhibitor, that's the weakspot. Once all bots are dead, initiate launch prep from the terminal, stay stealthed and take care of the occasional robot cming in the room. Once the launch prep is done all remaining bots die and you are free to launch. Insert keycard, enter code, aim for FSP and make sure that either Forward Station Delta or Drop Side V9 are outside the nuke zone so you have a place to fight the Queen without worrying about rads. You don't have to hit FSP dead center, it's enough if the target circle is scratching it.

2) Power Armor, preferably with the Troubleshooter legendary attribures and the Electric Absorption Legendary Perk. That way the whole silo become a walk in the park. Expect A LOT more enemies that way as the game spawns depending on how loud you are.
Same route as the stealth one. Photo glitch is your friend. If you don't have Troubleshooter PA, any PA will do as long as you have the Electric Absorption perk. Just let the laser bots and turrets hit you now and again to heal you and refill your core. If you don't have the perk yet, just bring more stims. There is no healing animation in PA, so you don't have to worry about healing interrupting whatever you are doing.

Failing any of that, you could just join a high level and ask them if they'd be willing to run a silo for you.

If you want to be extra efficient, make sure you stand in the middle of the nuke zone when the nuke hits, that way you get Ground Zero, I Am Become Death and Scorched Earth in 1 run.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 25, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
whens the update supposed to come out?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Sensenmann posted:

<good info>

Thanks! I'm wearing the Chinese Stealth Armor so I assume I've tried to stealth the silo before. Will give it another shot. Already found one scorched captain so I have a code piece as well. They last a week right?

And I somehow already have I Am Become Death and Ground Zero, so maybe I did launch a nuke at some point? Maybe I was in a group that did it. Can't remember at all.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I started at level 1 and had fun the first 20 levels, but it really depends on whether you like scrounging or not I guess. I thought it was a nice way to get used to the game and the various perk cards without getting overwhelmed.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 25, 2024

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Kaddish posted:

I dunno man, I'm sitting at the menu asking if I want to start at level 20 or not. I can choose a SPECIAL build and that's it.

P.S. What SPECIAL build should I choose.

Just try it, you wanna start with a balanced build and max 3 in CHA.
You can respec at any train station for free starting lvl 30? as often as you like, so it matters not.
Just check if you've got a whole bunch of card packs to open once you left the vault please, I would like to know how this level skip works too.

Tankbuster posted:

I heard in about 3 hours.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 25, 2024

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Tankbuster posted:

Believe it's 3 hours from now.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Just try it, you wanna start with a balanced build and max 3 in CHA.
You can respec at any train station for free starting lvl 30? as often as you like, so it matters not.
Just check if you've got a whole bunch of card packs to open once you left the vault please, I would like to know how this level skip works too.

I heard in about 3 hours.

I did have some, but I don't know about 20. It was kind of confusing. I got overwhelmed and quit the game. (I have some work to do, gonna start again in a few)

The game runs surprisingly poorly maxed out given how it looks.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Paying2Lurk posted:

Thanks! I'm wearing the Chinese Stealth Armor so I assume I've tried to stealth the silo before. Will give it another shot. Already found one scorched captain so I have a code piece as well. They last a week right?

And I somehow already have I Am Become Death and Ground Zero, so maybe I did launch a nuke at some point? Maybe I was in a group that did it. Can't remember at all.

You don't need the code pieces. You don't need to decrypt the whole thing yourself. All you need is a nuke keycard and this:

https://roguetrader.com/

Codes change every week, starting on mondays, but are the same for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Ok, I have been playing FO76 and having a good time. I did the Army Training and got the Army certificate. It said to be a citizen you need to go to the DMV. So I went to the DMV and couldn't figure out how to get an ID. Is that something you can actually do?