Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Roberts going after official acts vs private acts arguments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
your honor, could the president order the assassination of the supreme court

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Question for the thread:

Is it a coincidence that Trump is mandatorily in court in NY today while SCOTUS is debating the issue so Trump would not be able to intimidate them, or is it intentional?

It seems coincidental, but I gotta wonder.

Not everything is a conspiracy

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

SCOTUS

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lol I've still not fully got my head around the fact that immunity is even being taken seriously.

DakkaUT
Sep 27, 2004

redshirt posted:

Your Honors, What if Magneto held a doomsday device over America's head and threatened annihilation???

You joke, but the 2000s were weird

"Justice Scalia responded with a defense of Agent Bauer, arguing that law enforcement officials deserve latitude in times of great crisis. "Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles.... He saved hundreds of thousands of lives," Judge Scalia reportedly said. "Are you going to convict Jack Bauer?"

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/amp/msna485861

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Not everything is a conspiracy

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wasn't talking about everything, I was talking about this one thing but thanks?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

SCOTUS

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Lamech posted:

your honor, could the president order the assassination of the supreme court

With his newly found immunity, Joe Biden stormed into the Supreme Court chambers and dove for the ground he crawled on the floor as the justices looked on in horror as he tied their shoes together. He then dragged linked justices to the bathroom where he gave each of them a swirly before stuffing them into a locker. He laughed immunity over and over the entire hour and a half it took him to complete his action.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DakkaUT posted:

"Justice Scalia responded with a defense of Agent Bauer, arguing that law enforcement officials deserve latitude in times of great crisis. "Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles.... He saved hundreds of thousands of lives," Judge Scalia reportedly said. "Are you going to convict Jack Bauer?"

Oh, I remember. The Jack Bauer Defense.

Someone has to stop Magneto, RIGHT??!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tai posted:

lol I've still not fully got my head around the fact that immunity is even being taken seriously.
I mean even this thread, which ranges from affluent liberal to enigmatic hypercommie, generally agrees Republicans can just do whatever they want; can you expect this court to like Republicans LESS

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Am wondering, do my "Private Acts" have "TOTAL IMMUNITY"?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DakkaUT posted:

A somber reminder that America never stood a chance

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Also, Kagan asking if a President selling nuclear secrets would be an official act. Or asking the military to stage a coup.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
once again the greatest sin Don has done is causing SCOUTUS stuff to happen and therefore cause my NPR station to air that poo poo live instead of their normal programing

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I really wish one of the justices would ask Trump's lawyer point blank what standard of immunity he would want applied if he got assassinated right there in the courtroom on Joe Biden's orders.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

redshirt posted:

Oh, I remember. The Jack Bauer Defense.

Someone has to stop Magneto, RIGHT??!

and don't forget the doom guy, who killed the demons to save earth from the fires of hell. are you going to prosecute him?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

redshirt posted:

Am wondering, do my "Private Acts" have "TOTAL IMMUNITY"?

Only if you used Incognito.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Kagan loving roasting Sauer right now.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Question for the thread:

Is it a coincidence that Trump is mandatorily in court in NY today while SCOTUS is debating the issue so Trump would not be able to intimidate them, or is it intentional?

It seems coincidental, but I gotta wonder.

You remember in Parks and Recreation, where April kept booking all of Ron's meetings for March 31st because she thought March only had 30 days? Trump and Team have delayed so much that everything is starting to land all at once, and thankfully *this* judge seems hellbent on treating Trump a little more like a regular citizen.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

The back and forth between Kagan and the lawyer lmao

"Is it an official act?"

"Well it depends"

"No the question is whether it's an official act"

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Kayan’s laying it all out for the record

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

SCOTUS

Criminal Trial

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
how soon could we expect to have a ruling from the SC?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

The bin Laden assassination was covered under the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists, so whether you think it was right or not, it was a legal military action in the US.

Much as, christ, I don’t want to be on any side Thomas is on, there is a point here: you could argue that January 6 was something Thromb fomented as a candidate rather than as president

root beer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 25, 2024

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

isaboo posted:

Anywhere between next week and the beginning of July.

If SCOTUS cares about it's image, it'll be tomorrow, with a very clear "gently caress NO" on immunity.

Biden can fire them all tomorrow if he's immune and install all his college buddies for starters.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Lmao Gorsuch is tired of this already

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

isaboo posted:

From what I’ve gathered from the news and this thread, probably a few months.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/acyn/status/1783506052954128400?s=46&t=0hs33BGIDTDY2j_qH8YRBg

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
US - gently caress you UK. Get out. We're making our own consitution to make no one above the law
US - We need to make our 'monarch' above the law

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Gorsuch: Mr Sauer, why do you sound like you've been gargling broken glass?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

SCOTUS

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Sauer is well studied and has an answer for everything, which is particularly obnoxious because the core of what he's arguing is so squarely against the most foundational pillars upon which the entire US legal system is supposed to rest that it's ridiculous the argument is even being heard.

I feel like their time would be better spent arguing the legitimacy of Santa being able to go down the chimney of every house in the country in a single night.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like they keep going back to the founding fathers because that's what the conservatives always point to. Like it's dumb because we shouldn't be beholden to it but the chuds always use that as a defense. So it's using that against them.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Look for the conservative Justices set up the case to be remanded back to Chutken and the whole process starts again

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

kazil posted:

Look for the conservative Justices set up the case to be remanded back to Chutken and the whole process starts again

I think this is what Gorsuch is angling to do based on some of his questions about determining 'official' vs 'unofficial' actions.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Codependent Poster posted:

I like they keep going back to the founding fathers because that's what the conservatives always point to. Like it's dumb because we shouldn't be beholden to it but the chuds always use that as a defense. So it's using that against them.

It's one of those arguments that's so wrong you can look at it from any angle and find a way it's wrong. Like you try to explain one way it's wrong and along the way you think of three other reasons it's wrong.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Criminal

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Barret asks: what if the crime is only found after the President leaves office?

Saeur: Them's the breaks, he gets away scott free. It's a risk we have to take.

Not a great answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Barrett is absolutely eviscerating this dude's arguments