Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

AITA for jerkin' it to Goya's Black Paintings?

quote:

I know someone's gonna yell bait about this but idc, like, what? Do you want proof? Video evidence? Grow up.

So I (30x) really like Goya's Black Paintings. Like, Saturn Devouring His Son, Duel with Cudgels, A Pilgrimage to San Isidro. I think they're hypnotic, beautiful, evocative. They make me feel emotions I can't quite explain properly.

As the title says, sometimes I beat my meat to them. Whatever. It's not really about horniness. But the intent doesn't matter.

Recently (in a discussion about sexuality in art, I promise it was relevant, similar sentiments were being shared) I mentioned to my partner (33nb) that I do this. They were pretty taken aback.

Apparently, they find this 'gross' and 'kind of dodgy' because Goya's black paintings were never intended to be shared with a wider audience. They were art that he did not mean to share, painted on the walls of his house near the end of his life. They say it seems like the work is too personal to jerk off to, that it seems invasive or like a violation.

I don't think it's a big deal. The guy is dead, it's not like his ghost knows what I'm doing. It's a good thing to consider, but I don't think it ultimately matters, ethically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I too judge you for cranking it to Saturn Devouring His Son.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
r/relationships: Apparently, they find this 'gross' and 'kind of dodgy'

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are communities built around wanting to get eaten by giant monsters, aren't there? Did Goya paint Hera stepping on anybody?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

AceClown posted:

if you didn't hate capitalism, consumerism and the continued destruction of the planet for cheap plastic tat enough....

Pretty weird to set up a business around this one very specific prank that I just heard of and already feel like its gotten old

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's funny that they'd masturbate to those ones when The Colossus exists.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The Alchemist posted:

Pretty weird to set up a business around this one very specific prank that I just heard of and already feel like its gotten old

pretty sure the product existing had to happen before the prank, in this case

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Mocked_by_Two_Women

Found the OP

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Indecisive posted:

pretty sure the product existing had to happen before the prank, in this case

Nah she was hand-painting miniatures, it's impressive dedication

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

TIFU by not telling my doctor how many Tic-Tacs I eat per day

There is this radio show on NPR on the weekends called "Zorba Paster On Your Health" where listeners call in and ask health related questions to the host, Dr Zorba Paster.

I remember there was one caller who's husband was complaining about stomach pains. The caller lived out in the country and would go into town with her husband every few weeks to get groceries at Farm and Fleet. As you may know, half of Farm and Fleet is dedicated to the sale of bulk candy (circus peanuts, gum drops, and the like). The caller's husband would buy several gigantic bags of black liquorice, then eat one of the gigantic bags on the drive home. By the time they got home, he would be doubled over on the ground with extreme stomach pains.

Apparently, he would go to the doctor with concerns about his stomach episodes, but would never mention the black liquorice. The cause of the problem was so obvious that his wife had to call freaking NPR to confirm that yes in fact eating an entire 1 lbs bag of black liquorice will probably cause stomach problems and you shouldn't do that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Extra Large Marge posted:

There is this radio show on NPR on the weekends called "Zorba Paster On Your Health" where listeners call in and ask health related questions to the host, Dr Zorba Paster.

I remember there was one caller who's husband was complaining about stomach pains. The caller lived out in the country and would go into town with her husband every few weeks to get groceries at Farm and Fleet. As you may know, half of Farm and Fleet is dedicated to the sale of bulk candy (circus peanuts, gum drops, and the like). The caller's husband would buy several gigantic bags of black liquorice, then eat one of the gigantic bags on the drive home. By the time they got home, he would be doubled over on the ground with extreme stomach pains.

Apparently, he would go to the doctor with concerns about his stomach episodes, but would never mention the black liquorice. The cause of the problem was so obvious that his wife had to call freaking NPR to confirm that yes in fact eating an entire 1 lbs bag of black liquorice will probably cause stomach problems and you shouldn't do that.
lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Isn't liquorice toxic in large amounts? Like, it causes heart and circulation problems?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

Isn't liquorice toxic in large amounts? Like, it causes heart and circulation problems?
Maybe he can switch to eating tic tacs instead?

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

This sounded familiar so I looked it up. This man survived a bad diet, smoking a pack of cigs a day, and a heroin addiction - but black licorice did him in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/26/health/black-licorice-death-boston.html

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Skill issue.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

From my experience eating too much licorice candy (but far less than this), this man must have had the greenest poops in history every few weeks

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Batterypowered7 posted:

Eating liquorice in excess can give you hypertension. Enjoy in moderation, please.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

The Alchemist posted:

They're not really built for this specific prank, they're for decoration, kids to play with, or things like that. The 'oh noes your stuff is shrinking' prank is just a weird thing someone did with stuff that's already around, and I'm not sure how they expected it to work - no one is really going to believe that their food suddenly turned into a plastic miniature.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm not sure the fact that this is violating the privacy of a guy who has been dead for 200 years is the thing I'd worry about when it comes to my partner getting off to those paintings.

Evocative, thought provoking, I'll even allow you certain interpretations of "beautiful," but finding them arousing is the kind of thing that comes out in the cannibalism trial.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 25, 2024

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITAH for telling my parents to keep all the money they stole from me while I was in university and shove it up their rear end.

quote:

I got a job while I was in high school. It was with a friend of my father. I put away most of it and just bought myself some stuff I wanted but my parents wouldn't buy for me. My parents aren't rich but they do well enough. They wanted me to appreciate that material goods were paid for with my time.

I didn't mind. I bought myself a PS4 and some games. Which they made me share with my younger brother and sister. Once again I didn't mind. I mostly played while they did homework or slept.

When I graduated from high school they said I had to start paying rent. That sucked because I was going to university in the fall and I was hoping to save up over the summer so I could work less during the school year.

So I worked my rear end off in school and at work. I ended up getting a job loading delivery trucks before school. And that sucked because I went to sleep at 7 pm most nights so I could get up early and go to work.

I am about to graduate and I found a job in another province. I have already started doing my onboarding and online training. I will go from graduation to loading my car to leave.
My parents had a graduation party for me where they tried to present me with a cheque for all the rent I paid plus a pittance in interest.

I looked at the cheque for about a minute and I started laughing. All I could think of was the fact that I had no social life during university. Because I was working. I didn't have any money in investments like my friends did. Because they were taking my money.
I asked them how they were doing this for my sister. They said they weren't since she wasn't working while she went to school.

I tore up the cheque and told them to shove it up their asses. I told them that when they compensated me for all the sleep I lost, four years of no social life during university and four summer vacations, I would speak to them again. I told my little brother not to get a job or they would gently caress him over too.

I went to my room, grabbed my computer, some clothes, my PS4, and my toiletries. My brother and sister can play on the PS5 my parents bought the family.

They were yelling at me the whole time. I said if they touched me or tried to stop me I would call the cops. I loaded up my car, that I paid for, I insure, and is registered to me. I drove to my friend's parent's house and had a bit of a breakdown.
They let me stay there since she is away at university in another city. I blocked my parents and my brother and sister.

I had already given notice at my job so I called my boss and told him I was sick and would not be available for my last week. He said he understood and laughed. He said he was surprised I had kept working this close to graduation.

My grandfather called me to talk a couple of days later. We went to Timmies and he let me unload everything I felt. They took money from me that I could have used to make my life better. I didn't even have time for a girlfriend. My entire university romantic life was hooking up with a woman I work with when her ex husband had the kids for the weekend.
He said my parent's hearts were in the right place and that they thought they were helping me. I said they owed me four years of fun. Of parties I was too tired to go to. Of social events and networking I didn't do. All the poo poo they were subsidizing for my sister. And that they would end up subsidizing for my brother.

He said he understood and hugged me. He is old but I couldn't have gotten free of that hug if I tried. He asked me if I needed money to start my new job. I said I did not want anything that came from my parents. He gave me a cashier's cheque for about three times what my parents took from me. He said to use it however I wanted in my new life.
He said it wasn't part of my inheritance or anything. It was a gift from him and somethings my grandma would have wanted me to have.

My friends think I was stupid to tear up the cheque. Most of them agree with me about being pissed at my parents. Some family have called me to say I behaved terribly and that I owe my parents an apology. I thank them for the call or message and block them.
I'm calmer now and I do not think I am in the wrong. But maybe I'm too close to see what I'm missing.
AITAH

Probably just a writing exercise but who cares

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
I feel like the shrinking food and Big John girlfriends should go off and form a polycule with the Timothy the Mouse in-laws, just everyone living in a little pocket dimension of whimsical creepiness.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I like how their SO’s objection is not to jerking it to random art, but jerking it to random art not intended to be broadly shared - that is intended only for respectful observation.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

the goya masturbator has tapped into a pure cosmic vein of beauty and transgression and I applaud them, tbh

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's on the slippery slope to jerking it to Goya black beans

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I would never jerk it to the beans.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Will talking about how much I love The Dog get me a sixer for animal abuse?

A joke, Have no problem with the moderation of this thread, but also don't understand how people dislike Goyas black paintings.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I misread it as Gotye and thought he was jerking it to the video for that song that was a hit like a decade ago until it described Goya's art and I realized my mistake.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

how is it going for you that the first time you're moved by art you don't know what to do with yourself and you just jerk it

fake edit: they're really good paintings but pretty good I don't think it is going

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I misread it as Gotye and thought he was jerking it to the video for that song that was a hit like a decade ago until it described Goya's art and I realized my mistake.
Same but Goatse.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

FMguru posted:

Same but Goatse.

But you didn't have to stretch that far
Take a picture of it gaping while you're wearing that ring.
Now you're just some anus that I used to know.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
missing a line but solid attempt :golfclap:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, the snobby girlfriend who took back a compliment towards a designer bag when she found out it was thrifted. That's just an insane mentality, where designer clothing isn't intrinsically fancy or nice because the item itself is, but instead because of the full retail cost being class signifier.

I know a plumber who is also like the best dressed dude I've ever met. Not only does he have the nicest clothes, he knows HOW to dress. But, he never buys anything new, he's like a level 99 thrifter. He actually had a woman walk out on a date with him when she found out the upscale clothing he was wearing which would retail probably for close to $2k was actually carefully acquired 2nd hand or weird sales for like $200. Said he was misrepresenting himself and used language like she was accusing him of being a predator and trying to gaslight women into thinking he's rich when he isn't. She knew he was a plumber, so it wasn't like she thought he was rich. To her it was like a "stolen valour" thing.

For some people the attraction of clothing or accessories isn't objectively how they look, it's literally just about how much that costs and what that signals.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

He actually had a woman walk out on a date with him when she found out the upscale clothing he was wearing which would retail probably for close to $2k was actually carefully acquired 2nd hand or weird sales for like $200. Said he was misrepresenting himself and used language like she was accusing him of being a predator and trying to gaslight women into thinking he's rich when he isn't. She knew he was a plumber, so it wasn't like she thought he was rich. To her it was like a "stolen valour" thing.

For some people the attraction of clothing or accessories isn't objectively how they look, it's literally just about how much that costs and what that signals.
That guy is even able to weed out women who aren't worth the time on the first date. Efficient!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Goya's ghost may not care, but the staff and visitors of the Museo del Prado would like you to put your pants back on, or at least keep it in the 15th century Flemish room like the real enthusiasts.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Baronjutter posted:

Man, the snobby girlfriend who took back a compliment towards a designer bag when she found out it was thrifted. That's just an insane mentality, where designer clothing isn't intrinsically fancy or nice because the item itself is, but instead because of the full retail cost being class signifier.

I know a plumber who is also like the best dressed dude I've ever met. Not only does he have the nicest clothes, he knows HOW to dress. But, he never buys anything new, he's like a level 99 thrifter. He actually had a woman walk out on a date with him when she found out the upscale clothing he was wearing which would retail probably for close to $2k was actually carefully acquired 2nd hand or weird sales for like $200. Said he was misrepresenting himself and used language like she was accusing him of being a predator and trying to gaslight women into thinking he's rich when he isn't. She knew he was a plumber, so it wasn't like she thought he was rich. To her it was like a "stolen valour" thing.

because we live in patriarchy, a lot of women are looking for a man who has 'a good job' and the traditional way to see that expressed is through status objects & clothing. So if you're wearing rich man's clothing while not being rich, they see it as like, catfishing - that you did it specifically to fool women with high standards into a date and that you're 'wasting their time' on the hunt for a well-off man.

jokes on her, plumber is about the only job I can think of that can't be currently outsourced to AI and my understanding is plumbers tend to do very well for themselves

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 25, 2024

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITAH for trying to prevent gatherings in my neighborhood from people who don't live there.

quote:

Context: I live in a HOA regulated neighborhood. Once every 3-5 weeks, one of my neighbors who lives in my neighborhood hosts a "get together" in the island that is in the middle of my neighborhood's cul-de-sac. Originally the get together was a small amount of people (5-10ish). My issue is that it's grown out of proportion. Now they regularly have 30+ people attending their meetup.

Caveat: The neighbor hosting is a firefighter who is hosting adult bible group meetups. The 30+ people that attend bring lawn chairs and grills, and have a whole breakfast out there every 3-5 weeks (roughly once a month). I don't have a problem with the idea of a bible group, and I realize that you could change the circumstances and have it be a party and it wouldn't be any different.

My problem: The size has gone beyond "neighborhood" size. The amount of people who come now have so many cars that the ENTIRE culdesac has cars lined up for parking stretching back towards the entrance of the neighborhood. They host their gathering on the "public island" in the middle of the cul-de-sac. (Not the neighbor's actual property). And thus is becomes a pseudo public event. Again, I don't have a problem with their expression of religion, just that it isn't appropriate to have this many people who don't live in the neighborhood coming here.

My neighborhood has regular homeowner events (chili cook offs, holiday events, etc). This I have no problem with because 1) they are usually infrequent and related to holidays and 2) they are all neighborhood homeowners.

The people coming to the bible group don't even live here, and again not saying the guy hosting can't have friends over, but the size of the group makes me think he needs to change to being a formal group and find a different public location that is not my neighborhood.

I've tried digging into local municipality law to determine if there's a way to get them to move, and they aren't breaking any noise levels so that is out the window. The amount of cars they bring does make navigating the roads in my neighborhood a pain in the rear end, which is the only means I've called and filed a complaint on them before. But the real issue is that because the host is a firefighter, he's got the cops in his back pocket.

AITAH for wanting to find a way to have them relocate to a location that isn't in my neighborhood (effectively right outside my house)? And if not, how in the word do I deal with this situation?

I would not be very happy about 30+ religious weirdos having monthly meetings in front of my house with all their cars blocking everything but "No HoA" was first on our list of things for a house so I'm willing to say everyone sucks here.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Baronjutter posted:

For a lot of expensive stuff (especially things like ~designer~ fashion items like clothes and accessories) this is the point.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AITAH for trying to prevent gatherings in my neighborhood from people who don't live there.

I would not be very happy about 30+ religious weirdos having monthly meetings in front of my house with all their cars blocking everything but "No HoA" was first on our list of things for a house so I'm willing to say everyone sucks here.

I wouldn't like it either but it doesn't sound like more than an inconvenience? I kept on waiting to hear about how they can't park in their driveway or even make it into the cul-de-sac because the cars are blocking the road, or something. Hell, it sounds like they are not making much noise and clean up after themselves too since that isn't a complaint. So yeah, it sucks but there isn't anything to do about it? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

My |27M] girlfriend |27F] won't stop swapping out my real groceries with small versions of branded items

Wait. This is the inverse of the guy that replaced stuff with plastic models!

Fun movie fact - when filming the 1925 classic "The Gold Rush" Charlie Chaplin had to be hospitalized temporarily due to eating too much black licorice. The boot that he eats in the film was made of black licorice and he had done so many takes that it started causing health problems.