Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CommonShore posted:

imo the smithing stones are the biggest problem here, particularly the non-somber ones. I can't remember offhand which number I get stuck on, but one of the lower-level stones (3 or 4) is stupid rare and it sometimes feels easier to sequence break to get the loving bell bearing in Altus than it is just to upgrade it normally.

I also find it dumb that it's 12 of each stone. That sucks and compounds the problem. The drop rate of non-somber stones should be notably increased and all monsters should drop some of the lower level ones up to the relative zone level, meaning that an enemy that's in a zone that's scaled against the upgrades from smithing stone 4 should drop 4/3/2 at least.

Yeah the steep cost of finishing off a stone tier is what's always bugged me the most. It leads to an awkward sawtooth pattern of upgrades where you'll be bottlencked halfway through a tier, then suddenly get a glut of stones, which then lets you get halfway through the next tier instantly because you've had 2-3 loose stones of the next tier sitting around waiting, but then once again get bottlenecked in the exact same way. Repeat for the entire game.

In a vacuum, "go find a mine to find more stones" was a sensible way to enmesh the core mechanics with the open world design, and frankly the game could've done with more of that. But also it didn't really work in practice because there tends to be all of one mine per area, so instead of feeling like an open-ended, immersive element it tends to instead boil down to "visiting these specific mini-dungeons is mandatory if you want upgrades in a timely manner". Once it's turned into a linear, expected task it defeats the point of the open world aspect.

Imagine if there were caravans long-hauling ore around not unlike the existing weapon wagons. Maybe a legacy dungeon or two ends up having a stockpile of materials because the standing army took control of the local mining operations. What if one of those random catacombs ended up breaking out into a mine halfway through? That'd all be pretty neat. There's also glimmers of other obvious alternatives in the form of Iji and the small smattering of extra stones they gave to a couple of the early merchants. Buying them outright is less adventurous but paying a premium for them vs. going and getting them yourself is pretty much how it's worked since at least DS1 so... Hell, maybe cook up another new wacky NPC that's a stone collector (ala DS2) or something similar and by accomplishing quest steps their inventory expands over time. In short, have many overlapping potential avenues to find stones rather than the one and a half~ we have now.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: Admittedly a lot of this is just fallout from the decision to make an open world game in the first place, which effectively ruled out the approach where they can assume the player will progress through every zone or nearly every zone in a relatively fixed order. If you just scattered those weapon and flask upgrade mats everywhere DS3-style without changing anything else about the game, there would be way more of them than you ever needed and then you're right back to them being pointless again, just for a different reason.

I dunno, that's sort of what they already did with golden seeds. I thought they were paced relatively well but there's more than you need by a slight margin just so that you don't have to visit all four corners of the map and kill every tree spirit.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
They should really stop making respecs limited by item. It sucks having to NG+++ or scour a wiki to find a guy who drops stuff just cause I wanna do a diff pvp build at endgame

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

in general, souls games encourage full-clearing an area the first time so you can safely dig through nooks and crannies to find loot, and subsequent runs only really require facing the enemies that are threatening, who are usually also the enemies with a chance to drop unique weapons. i think they did a good job building this structure

agreed. at least for the souls game I've played, Elden Ring :cheersdoge:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Zodium posted:

agreed. at least for the souls game I've played, Elden Ring :cheersdoge:

play Bloodborne

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Now

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

thought that wasn't on pc

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
buy borrow or steal a ps4

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

don't care for controllers except for mp racing games. good day.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

play Bloodborne KART

Now

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

verbal enema posted:

play Bloodborne

*Screams in cleric beast*

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Zodium posted:

thought you were cool

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I forgot Elden Ring wasn’t a PS exclusive, so used to thinking of these games as being something you can only play with a controller. I can’t imagine playing with a mouse for some reason.

How is parrying with a knife? Is there any benefit to it besides being able to have an extra weapon in your offhand?

a primate fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 26, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a primate posted:

How is parrying with a knife? Is there any benefit to it besides being able to have an extra weapon in your offhand?

it sucks and shouldn't be done except as a challenge run, especially since the parrying WAs are so overwhelmingly superior in this game

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Crap. The parry frames on the parrying dagger aren't good and dual dagger builds are pretty niche and would rather be using dual Reduvias or something.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

a primate posted:

I forgot Elden Ring wasn’t a PS exclusive, so used to thinking of these games as being something you can only play with a controller. I can’t imagine playing with a mouse for some reason.

I've never found any utility for it, soft swapping to a buckler has always been my go-to.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
even using a buckler is pointless when carian retaliation/golden parry have better frames and can be put on a medium shield. parrying dagger is just extra pointless, it was already not great back in dark souls but it at least had some niche applications.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Zodium posted:

are you playing elden ring on mb+keyboard???

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Buschmaki posted:

are you playing elden ring on mb+keyboard???

it's not that bad

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
clown poo poo

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When did they give the parrying dagger the funny description? DS2?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
People always freak out about KBM for some reason but aside from the original DS1 port being its usual self (with even that being fixable with dsmfix) none of the games are that big of a hassle to play using it. They've also gotten noticeably better over time. While even DS1R still feels a bit creaky, OG 2 and Scholar are alright with a few bits of weirdness to overcome, and then DS3 is completely painless and ER is better still. I assume Sekiro is in a similar position but I haven't played it yet.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Real Tarnished Use A Gamepad.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
I’ve tried both and I much prefer M+KB. So

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
buncha godricks itt

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
why would you ever voluntarily use anything but a mouse for a 3D game with a free camera? just throwing away accuracy for no reason

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It also continues to be funny that playing with keyboard and mouse is seen as more degenerate and impossible than Donkey Konga drums or a DDR pad or whatever.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
My first playthrough was a KB+M shield wizard

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why would you ever voluntarily use anything but a mouse for a 3D game with a free camera? just throwing away accuracy for no reason

because I like to sit comfortably while gaming

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Eh, I’d see your point if it were an fps, but target lock is my best friend

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
carefully mousing over the revenant for precision headbonking

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

a primate posted:

if you must use a weapon parry daggers have the only one that doesn't feel completely miserable

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Just mostly miserable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Elden Ring caused me to buy a gamepad because I hated the chording I had to do to do strong attacks or parry and stuff. Just love being able to r2/l2.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I like playing a wizard and use a mod to bind all my spells to different hotkeys. Playing on a gamepad would drive me up a wall. The lack of proper hotkeys for spell and item quick slots is probably my number one most hated thing about the game.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

a primate posted:

wakizashi parry when powerstanced with a katana is just barely badass enough to justify running a whole build around it

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Why would you voluntarily give up an analog stick for 8 direction WASD movement?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

How do you actually slow walk in WASD?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Now that I think about it, it was running jumping strong attacks that made me switch to gamepad.

But the fun thing is I still have a mouse for when I want to do archery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dyz posted:

Why would you voluntarily give up an analog stick for 8 direction WASD movement?

With KBM your movement is paired with the camera such that fine movement can be done by holding W to move forward and then steering with the mouse. Though I'm not even sure that comes up as often in ER as it does in, say, DS1.

Otherwise I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be missing from analog movement.

No Dignity posted:

How do you actually slow walk in WASD?

There's a modifier key that keeps you at walk speed. Though in ER crouching accomplishes most of what you need anyway.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 26, 2024