Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

kabru is the kind of guy who doesn't like oysters for the reasons people like them always have to make known very very vocally

He would never make it known vocally because he's always trying to play people. He would eat all them oysters greatfully and then think vile hatred to himself afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Lazy Fair posted:

lmao in the corner of Shuro's perspective you can see a bit of Falin's clothes sitting on the bench with them. He must have been crashing the date.

Sadly, that's part of a completely different memory, in which Laios crashes Shuro and Falin's date.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Sadly, that's part of a completely different memory, in which Laios crashes Shuro and Falin's date.

Falin of course was not aware it was a date

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shuro should have been more direct.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Alan Smithee posted:

that would require self awareness

im honestly surprised no one has read falin as ace and everyone is barking up the wrong tree

DrSunshine posted:

Also, please don't hate me for this, but I ... don't really see Falin x Marcille as two-sided. Maybe it's just from me coming off of the comic, but Falin always read as platonic with respect as Marcille to me, while Marcille clearly is romantically interested in Falin. This reading makes it quite a bit more tragic, though, I'll admit.

:colbert:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNLoghryLA

My cousin put it pretty well. Japanese Laios is a little too generic. Damien Haas is great at making him sound as unhinged as he really does to the rest of the cast.

Japanese Laios had an amazing part in the siren scene tbf. Also lmao, I didn’t notice Shuro’s expression until that screencap, but that was probably because of all the murder going on, and plot out of nowhere.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Laios = anime SpongeBob

Shuro = anime Squidward

Discuss?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Laios = anime SpongeBob

Shuro = anime Squidward

Discuss?

Arc Hammer posted:

"5 Hours Later" in the SpongeBob narrator voice.

Followed by a hyper detailed closeup of Shuro's agony.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Laios = anime SpongeBob

Shuro = anime Squidward

Discuss?

Naw Archie and Edith Bunker

https://i.imgur.com/MpmvxgO.mp4

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Laios = anime SpongeBob

Shuro = anime Squidward

Discuss?

Shuro does have that perpetual “I REALLY hate it here” expression, but that might just be the exhaustion. Going by that one side chapter someone posted it kinda seems like he’s been dying of exhaustion since he met Laios though.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I find this tempting but personally dispute it because Squidward wasn't afraid to tell Spongebob he hated him to his face.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alan Smithee posted:

question

so when Maizuru goes "so forward!" when Laois gets buddy buddy with Shuro is there a language nuance in the Japanese or just because he's being him

Oh, I think that's because Laios is calling Toshiro "Shuro".

In Japanese using someone's name without an honorific is a sign of extreme closeness (or extreme rudeness, it depends on context) and referring to someone by a nickname without an honorific is something you usually only do with a very close friend, family member, or significant other. So from Maizuru's prospective Laios is being SUPER forward by calling Lord Toshiro "Shuro".

Of course Laios is unaware of all of this and the reason he calls Toshiro "Shuro" is because he can't pronounce "Toshiro" properly and thus accidentally renamed Toshiro as Shuro without even realizing he had done that.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Insane banger of an episode

RubberLuffy posted:

Things went so bad so quick I legit forgot they had revives and heals haha

Yeah lmao, I was confused at how relatively blasse everyone was being about a TPK in progress until they started rezzing folks

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
right up to rin getting impaled I was like "drat whole squad just wiping huh"

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

You know after the black magic boogaloo I thought I was prepared for anything the rest of this anime was going to throw at me.

I was not prepared for this episode. :stare:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Falin monster pretty, I'm with Laios it's unfair she gets both scales and feathers.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Kuro ain't scared of poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

probably fireworks

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Kuro's even the only one of Kabru's party who isn't immediately disgusted with the harpy omelettes and actually seems kinda down with it. Truly he is the goodest boy

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Squidster posted:

A good friend has been watching this show with his very gentle six year old, on the impression it was a relatively kid-safe monsters and cooking show. Like a slightly older, more focussed Pokemon with life lessons.

The surprise tavern massacre did not go well

My friend spent a tear-filled hour trying to answer questions about why would the orcs do that, why did the elves hurt the orcs first, who the Bad Guys were, why does god let bad things happen to nice people

Thinking back to this and imagining how this episode would go over. The animation actually amped it up a bit over the manga which wasn't light to begin with.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My 11 year old enjoyed this episode. She was very serious all through the massacre and then laughed with delight at the Laios v Shuro slapfight

e: I get the impression that she was kind of silently cheering Falin on because a) cool monster lady and b) Marcille really likes this lady and we like Marcille

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 26, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MiracleFlare posted:

Kuro's even the only one of Kabru's party who isn't immediately disgusted with the harpy omelettes and actually seems kinda down with it. Truly he is the goodest boy

even chilichuck was shooing the eggs away

like charitably marcille was still traumatized and he was recognizing that but they were the only ones planning to continue

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
very happy at Kuro Action Hour getting a hefty slice of the animation budget this episode

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Alan Smithee posted:

that would require self awareness

im honestly surprised no one has read falin as ace and everyone is barking up the wrong tree

Shipping tends to make people overlook more obvious reads. But yeah it’s a very real possibility.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: I get the impression that she was kind of silently cheering Falin on because a) cool monster lady and b) Marcille really likes this lady and we like Marcille

I totally get where your kid is coming from here. Chimera Falin is cool! I want to see her succeed and flourish.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If Falin was real I would be friends with her

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

he knows what youre thinking

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
He knows when you are sleeping.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Laios's English voice actor is autistic, so as you might expect the scene with Laios and Shuro hit close to home for him.

https://x.com/DamienHaas/status/1783674728512897145

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GIRLS NIGHT GIRLS NIGHT

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Angry Diplomat posted:

a) cool monster lady and b) Marcille really likes this lady and we like Marcille

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Synthbuttrange posted:

GIRLS NIGHT GIRLS NIGHT

Marcille likes a girl with a big butt.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

love that marcille figured out kabru's crew thinks they robbed them and rin probably got herself impaled due rather than trust her black magic (the gnome even opted to just use their own too)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this magic has honor student written all over it*

*dies unlike the honor student

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Marcille likes a girl with a big butt.

Surprised she tossed Tade then. The other two ninja girls, sure. They're small fry.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I saw Chil protecting Mickbell in the manga but I think the anime just really showed that act changing Mickbell's idea of who Chilchuck is. Its neat :3

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Thank goodness Marcille recognized Falin's undodgeable AOE attack.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Enter the protective zone before the attack warmup finishes. *bweep bweep bweep bweep*

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I like how you can see Chilchuck and Namari trying to pull Laios away from them so they can go have lunch by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean who are we to say that Shuro's memories aren't just as biased as Laios's? There could be some Rashomon vibes going on except that Falin is currently a bit too chicken to offer her version of events.

Shuro probably thought he was being suave and subtle putting the moves on Falin while she was fixated on a cool caterpillar and not paying attention.