Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
bob weber jr. getting bodied on his own track by Hayden, age 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Throwing some poo poo in the microwave is not lazy enough for you, huh?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will confess to only reading Mary Worth when Wilbur is happening.

A+J

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Kavak posted:

Yeah, Lynn probably took some family pets down to the lake.

Yay, animal parade!

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (April 29, 1977)

Cranky Shafterbean

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 29, 1940)

Out Our Way (July 20-22, 1944; spoiler for another First Nation stereotype in handy cigar store form)

Li'l Abner fell victim to a power outage. I know, excuses, excuses.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

Cranky Shafterbean

Oh gently caress off.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I know he didn't write this about Fallout, having wrapped that up last night this resonates a little harder. Good on the whole, but with a distinct "Mmm, we're going to withhold just enough stuff for Season 2 to make this resolution feel a little hollow" feeling right at the end.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Ugh, I hate getting tricked by religion.

I friggin' belly-laughed at this one. Just perfect.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

goatface posted:

Oh gently caress off.

It just keeps getting WORSE.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I suspect Allison always intended for Shauna and Lottie to drift apart, but wasn't sure how to do it

Something too fantastical would lean against the Tacklefordian spirit that it's the very normal, true-to-life elements rather than the plot which shapes the cast

Blossom would have been great for a narrative that followed the cast to sixth form: nobody in the cast has a really wealthy background (Sonny Craven/Mildred Haversham are upper middle class at best) and her abrasive personality would lend some tension

There's an interview somewhere or other where Allison touches on the core problem however: he can't (or won't?) write any narratives that have that same cast age into R rated topics, or it will impact the marketability of the earlier stories. At the same time, writing older teens without touching on adult themes or bad decisions at all can come off really unrealistic. I guess the solution was to dredge up the SGR B-list cast and write Giant Days? I actually like Sarin's art but there are moments in it where one goes, hmm, I feel like this was written for Shauna and Lottie instead.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

Comic Strips 2024: Sometimes people give us Something Awful as a gift

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Comic Strips 2024: OOOOAAAAAAOOOAAAOOOOOOOEEEEEOOOOOOOOAAOOOOAAAEEAAAOOOO Dick

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's me, the enemy frogman bent on sabotage!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

Love Alice reaching for it in the last panel, very cute

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EasyEW posted:

Yay, animal parade!
It's G.D. magical.

Huxley posted:

I will confess to only reading Mary Worth when Wilbur is happening.
I'm conflicted on Wilbur - I won't pretend I'm not (hate)reading it & his stuff is a good breather between poo poo like Marinecop Dad, but the fact that Moy realized people love to hate him has kinda dulled his arcs. We know he's not getting any comeuppance(because then there wouldn't be future Wilbur stories), it's just gonna end with another That's Our Wilbur! (laughtrack).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

heh

Dustin

Mandrake

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I just think of Wilbur as George Constanza without the charm.

Scary Gary :drac:

:3:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

ronya posted:

Something too fantastical would lean against the Tacklefordian spirit that it's the very normal, true-to-life elements rather than the plot which shapes the cast

Isn't their initial drifting apart caused by a literal fae pact? They trade the concept of their friendship to avert disaster as I recall.

quote:

There's an interview somewhere or other where Allison touches on the core problem however: he can't (or won't?) write any narratives that have that same cast age into R rated topics, or it will impact the marketability of the earlier stories.

I'm beginning to think Allison's true problem is that he refuses to hire, consult with or even exchange greetings with anybody who actually knows anything about marketing. I'm not quite sure I understand what he's saying, particularly as so many powerful stories meant for younger audiences draw that power from R rated topics. Take something like Avatar:TLAB or Harry Potter.

:3:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Don't you run an ISP out of your basement, Kevin?

If everyone in your house can't be online simultaneously, what are you even doing?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/27-29/52

Archie 3/28 - 4/1/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 7/21-23/77

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(October 28, 1910)

Baron Bean(April 28, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(March 28, 1913)

Caledonia N.Y.
March 24, 1913

Deer dotter.
in reeding over your unkle Emil's last will and testimunt we come acrost a clawse we didnt notice the first time we red it, i submit a copy of sed claws @ would advise you for to hook sum - budy while the hooking is good.

your edoring father
Isaiah Hicks

SAID CLAUSE FROM UNCLE EMIL'S LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT

The sum of ten thousand dollars, ($10,000) to my sister's child Delicia Hicks on one condition, namely that she marry a man possessing an equal amount. I do this advisedly knowing full well that otherwise, she being in possession of so large a sum, would become a mark for Adventurers and Fortune hunters.

Gasoline Alley(December 19, 1919)

Us Boys(April 26, 1912)

The Gumps(May 25, 1917)

Bringing up Father(January 13, 1913)

Abie the Agent(February 13, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 8, 1918)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Have to admit I don’t get this one. Thirty years ago… kids would chuck vegetables at men who were on their way to give flowers to people?

We Are Reproducing

Actually, though, since the next chapter is about (checks notes) the relationship between caffeine and anemia, I’m’a put it on the back burner for now and skip to the next one.

Haraiso Days

quote:

Bars getting grumpy when you don’t drink fast enough / order enough food is really not cool though, Rie.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

ronya posted:

I suspect Allison always intended for Shauna and Lottie to drift apart, but wasn't sure how to do it

Blossom would have been great for a narrative that followed the cast to sixth form: nobody in the cast has a really wealthy background (Sonny Craven/Mildred Haversham are upper middle class at best) and her abrasive personality would lend some tension

There's an interview somewhere or other where Allison touches on the core problem however: he can't (or won't?) write any narratives that have that same cast age into R rated topics, or it will impact the marketability of the earlier stories. At the same time, writing older teens without touching on adult themes or bad decisions at all can come off really unrealistic. I guess the solution was to dredge up the SGR B-list cast and write Giant Days? I actually like Sarin's art but there are moments in it where one goes, hmm, I feel like this was written for Shauna and Lottie instead.

Yeah, from Allison's epilogue to Bad Machinery volume 10:

John Allison posted:

When I started Bad Machinery, my idea was that there would be 21 cases, one for every term of the seven years of British secondary education. In the end there were ten, but I think that was enough. I covered such a lot of ground. As time went on I began to feel melancholy at watching the carefree 11-year-olds of the first story vanish, swallowed up by the weird angst, confusion, and adventure of the tween and teen years. Things started so happy-go-lucky, but the more aware one becomes of the world, the more perilous that world becomes. I had to balance the ups and the downs. These were always meant to be fun, silly stories, but there was always a wolf at the door that I never imaged being there until I started writing them.

Throughout its run, Bad Machinery has been blessed with readers of all ages. I have had delightful notes over the years from people aged seven, and 70. The younger readers were part of the reason that I felt the series had to end. As the mystery kids end this book – aged sixteen or thereabouts – I couldn't tell their stories and be as truthful as I wanted to be, without excluding smaller fans. It was one of the hardest decision I've had to make, and I could tell I was going to have to make it around the time of the 8th book. I blame the teen hormones (and you should too). Maybe books 9 and 10 went a little further than they should into the world of Teen Feelings, but if you don't tell anyone, neither will I.

The most important question, now that the casebook is closed, is what will happen to the mystery kids? Is this really their last case? I think for most of them, it is. But then, they're pretty weird kids. Jack is going to spend a lot of time trying to play his guitar and worrying about his hair. Maybe he'll record some terrible raps and never play them to anyone. Sonny goes with the flow. He deserves a rest from danger. Shauna has a lot of interests and a huge brain, and it's time she got a chance to explore more than what local ne'er do wells are up to. Mildred is a barely-corked bottle of trouble and I think the next few years are going to be quite naughty for her. Let's hope she stays out of jail (she probably will – just). Linton's future is foggy to me. He believes in justice. He believes in truth. I feel like he will be interested in mystery . But he is a handsome lad and and I have the sense that he may soon be distracted by some beautiful eyes.

Hopefully the eyes will be in a face and not just floating around.

It seems to me, Lottie Grote will always have mystery in her heart. Nothing is going to stop her looking for it. And in Little Claire she has a friend who is not only loyal, but also somewhat of a mystery too. Does Lottie know Claire is a firestarter? My guess is she always has. She likes her anyway. And who wouldn't? Claire is a total sweetheart. That twosome is a friendship with legs.

Anyway here were are. The end of the series. Thank you for sharing these adventures with me. I hope to see you back in Tackleford one day.

So yeah, Allison did want to keep things rated PG for Bad Machinery. That said he did dip his toe in more mature themes with Steeple and Solver.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Have to admit I don’t get this one. Thirty years ago… kids would chuck vegetables at men who were on their way to give flowers to people?

I'm guessing they're planning on trying to knock the guy's hat off.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Samovar posted:

Blueberry

Steelfingers is a really cool villain.

Look at the guts in this dude to have set up all those events behind the story, causing all the things the natives are going to war for, and then going to visit these same natives while unarmed and ready to manipulate them further.

The writing in Blueberry continues to be impressive, every character always manages to be interesting and with a depth you don't expect from a "western". I'm kinda sad I never looked into it years ago when it still had some presence in the European comic book shelves around here.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Wearing a straw hat after labour day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_Hat_Riot

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (April 25-27, 2006)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Dinette

Popcom

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

All these GDs are making me miss Kevin Meaney. I'm pretty sure he introduced me to that abbrev.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

you read it in his voice, didn't you

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

He's dressed up fancy and carrying flowers, which suggests he's hoping to impress a girl, and the kids think it'll be funny to spoil that impression.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (July 9-11, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (July 10, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (September 28-30, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Destroyer (March 12, 1915)

The Adventures of Marmaduke (February 22-23, 1940)

The 24th got crowded out by a lot of sports. Story of my life.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

it's ok lil buddy, alexithymia isn't that uncommon :unsmith:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wilbur just straight up dissociating from reality

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I don't think someone from the family has to watch the dog throw up if the doctor's there, kid.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

The natural and appropriate reaction to any interaction with Wilbur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze