Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

ultrafilter posted:

Are those actually things you can't do with a classical control system or is it just a matter of it being much more complex/expensive?

You can do that all on the stovetop if you really want to monitor the rice or have the experience to tell by smell and sound and gut feeling. It’s the same case with sous vide. The point of the rice cooker is to take the task off your mental load while you prepare other dishes. Fuzzy logic expands the range of tolerance for personal error to adjust for inconsistencies in cooking conditions like water ratio or humidity; I think a lot of kitchen unitaskers are useless but I’ll defend the rice cooker’s honor to the death. I think the induction models actually do cook at a level that’s not realistically attainable otherwise but I think most people simply don’t care about their rice to that extent which is understandable.

I’ve got a lot of friends who love to cook but didn’t get why they’d want one until I told them you can think of it as hiring an assistant who’ll turn out perfect rice with little more instruction than amount, time and type. And the fuzzy logic lets it make perfect rice more consistently even if you flub the inputs which is a notable feature for a machine you buy to take care of a task for you. If you eat rice even a couple days a week it justifies the cost in short order.

Anyway please wishlist my game Rice Cooking Simulator 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ultrafilter posted:

Are those actually things you can't do with a classical control system or is it just a matter of it being much more complex/expensive?

i mean you can get a microchip that can run all that logic easily for under a dollar so presumably the difference is just in what kinda sensors it has available and how much effort the manufacturer put into programming it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: Musk sucks but Twitters character limit is fundamentally stupid, and the original company even knew it when they first doubled the limit from 140 to 280 or whatever.

Removing the limit is probably the only good thing he's done to that garbage pile

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ok but he only removed the limit for people who pay for twitter lol

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Tiramisu posted:

You can do that all on the stovetop if you really want to monitor the rice or have the experience to tell by smell and sound and gut feeling. It’s the same case with sous vide. The point of the rice cooker is to take the task off your mental load while you prepare other dishes. Fuzzy logic expands the range of tolerance for personal error to adjust for inconsistencies in cooking conditions like water ratio or humidity; I think a lot of kitchen unitaskers are useless but I’ll defend the rice cooker’s honor to the death. I think the induction models actually do cook at a level that’s not realistically attainable otherwise but I think most people simply don’t care about their rice to that extent which is understandable.

I’ve got a lot of friends who love to cook but didn’t get why they’d want one until I told them you can think of it as hiring an assistant who’ll turn out perfect rice with little more instruction than amount, time and type. And the fuzzy logic lets it make perfect rice more consistently even if you flub the inputs which is a notable feature for a machine you buy to take care of a task for you. If you eat rice even a couple days a week it justifies the cost in short order.

Anyway please wishlist my game Rice Cooking Simulator 2025.

but how do I wash my rice quickly and effectively, because currently my state-of-the-art is "swirling water in a bowl for like seven minutes" and it washes about one (1) cup of rice

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Tiramisu posted:

So an old school rice cooker typically operates on a binary for cooking and uses a pid controller for temperature. You put in the water and turn it on; when the weight of the bowl stops changing it shuts off the heating element. The pid controller will shut the heating element on and off to maintain the boiling point without scorching the rice.

Fuzzy logic allows the cooker to consider more conditions in its operation by assigning weights to its evaluations of states so it can consider multiple aspects at the same time in the way a human would. For example, it’s hot today and the rice is being steamed but the temperature is increasing too quickly so the set point of the heating element needs to be reduced a little.

One way this is really noticeable is in how it handles water. In a simple rice cooker if you put in too much water your rice will come out mushy. But when you wash your rice (you should wash your rice (if you eat rice often enough to warrant a rice cooker you should really wash your rice)) the amount of water retained can vary. Fuzzy logic can compensate for variations in water by monitoring the rate of cooking to ensure the rice cooks appropriately. This is most noticeable with the induction cookers, but any zojirushi is going to make much higher quality rice than a $20 pot from the local Asian market. My parents thought I was crazy for spending more than $50 on a rice cooker until they actually had rice at my place at which point they ordered an upgrade to wait for them at home so they could immediately toss the old one.

Huh, that's interesting let me just look up one of these rice cookers and check prices....lmao yeah my $20 fred meyer pot working just fine. $750 united states dollars to cook loving rice what in the world

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Let's not get too deep in the weeds about that fuckin guy if we can help it

Anyone playing this Rusty's Retirement game? A little farm sim that sits along the bottom of your screen. The reviews are amazing and it's only a few bucks, I might get it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
From what I saw the new rice cooker's gimmick is that you tell it how you liked the rice it just made and if you'd prefer it more mushy or whatever next time. The device then adjusts automatically based on your preference until it learns to cook THE ULTIMATE RICE

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ugh, PUBG is in another phase where the cheaters have defeated the anti-cheat and most matches are full of invulnerable dudes. I hate this. :( I just want to hide n' shoot with random people!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ugh, PUBG is in another phase where the cheaters have defeated the anti-cheat and most matches are full of invulnerable dudes. I hate this. :( I just want to hide n' shoot with random people!

Helldivers 2

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

John Lee posted:

but how do I wash my rice quickly and effectively, because currently my state-of-the-art is "swirling water in a bowl for like seven minutes" and it washes about one (1) cup of rice

Amazon sells specially made little colanders for rice washing, they’re like twenty bucks

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i mean you can get a microchip that can run all that logic easily for under a dollar so presumably the difference is just in what kinda sensors it has available and how much effort the manufacturer put into programming it

And that might explain the price difference, or it might just be marketing at people who want something more technologically sophisticated.

Controls class was a while back and I haven't spent a lot of time with the fuzzy areas of that, but I do get the basics and nothing I read about fuzzy logic in rice cookers makes any sense to me. I'm leaning pretty hard towards the latter.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Helldivers 2

how is an entirely different game going to fix my complaint?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sab669 posted:

:shrug: Musk sucks but Twitters character limit is fundamentally stupid, and the original company even knew it when they first doubled the limit from 140 to 280 or whatever.

Removing the limit is probably the only good thing he's done to that garbage pile

It wasn’t stupid and if I were in charge people would’ve been banned for the “I’ve just got something to say… (47/138)” nonsense

mystes
May 31, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

And that might explain the price difference, or it might just be marketing at people who want something more technologically sophisticated.

Controls class was a while back and I haven't spent a lot of time with the fuzzy areas of that, but I do get the basics and nothing I read about fuzzy logic in rice cookers makes any sense to me. I'm leaning pretty hard towards the latter.
I think "fuzzy logic" has about as much meaning as "block chain" or "ai" would in a new line of rice cookers being launched nowadays

They've been calling it "fuzzy logic" since literally everything was advertised as "fuzzy logic" and they just didn't bother to change it when that stopped being a fad

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

it's better

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

it's better

but I want to play pubg!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

y tho

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I enjoy its slow paced tactical combat, how much fun it is to grab guns n' go driving, and its whole general vibe as I play dress up doll with my character.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
When my niece was very little, about three or so, she wanted to play whatever game was on at any given moment, and one time she was given a controller at the start of a game of PUBG. She fired a gun at the sun, ran into a house, and demanded to know how she could do the dishes that were piled in the sink. :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

holy sweet christ on a cracker, why does sen's fortress have crabs in it????

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wow, I wouldn’t think there’d be enough people playing to generate those anymore

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What is the significance of crabs there?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

HopperUK posted:

She fired a gun at the sun, ran into a house, and demanded to know how she could do the dishes that were piled in the sink. :3:

To bring back immsims, we must first repeal child labor laws and allow children to work in game development.

Obv kidding, that's adorable.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

What is the significance of crabs there?

Enough deaths by online players in an area will eventually generate a crab for people passing through. I dunno if anyone ever found out more specific numbers or mechanics to it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2116120/Incursion_Red_River
Single-player 'nam themed Tarkov?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Orv posted:

Enough deaths by online players in an area will eventually generate a crab for people passing through. I dunno if anyone ever found out more specific numbers or mechanics to it.

It's not based on any specific number of deaths. If one player dies with 5+ humanity and then dies again before retrieving their bloodstain a white vagrant spawns in another player's game. If they leave the zone or die before killing it, it migrates to another player's game. If it migrates through 20+ different players' games it becomes red.

There's also a different kind of vagrant that spawns if you abandon certain items on the ground and they become a Drift Item Bag which migrates to other players' games. If a Drift Item Bag goes through enough other players without being looted it becomes a Good Vagrant which runs away from you instead of fighting you and eventually disappears like the titanite lizards, at which point it migrates to another player's game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah okay, cool!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
And if you kill the red variant, it drops a Twin Humanities.

There's also a different one for certain dropped items that acts more like a crystal lizard (i.e. doesn't attack, just runs away). edit. didn't see that in the first pass when typing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I must have done 6 playthroughs of dark souls 1 and only ever had maybe 3 of those things spawn total, it's honestly a miracle you saw one at all at this point unless people do shenanigans to spawn them on purpose now

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

John Lee posted:

Use a couple rinses of just enough water. You only need to swirl it a couple times since the point is to remove the excess starch from milling (really only applies to white rice as such) so the rice separates better and doesn’t produce gooey clumps. I just swirl it in the rice cooker bowl and pour off the starchy water through my fingers. Washing should only take you like a minute in total.

I also wouldn’t pay $750 for a rice cooker but induction starts at $300 which isn’t a huge jump from the fuzzy logic offerings. I also can’t speak to what ai adds if anything and am pretty skeptical of ai applications and smart home devices in general but the zojirushi fuzzy logic cookers are very consistent and high quality and have been in circulation for a very long time.

Cuckoo also makes quality rice cookers and their comparable offerings are less expensive.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I can't believe we're discussing this in the Steam thread, but hey, steaming is a process you cook rice with, so I guess it works.

About washing rice: that's not something you do with American rice, correct? The way I understand it, most American rice is already washed and also enriched with some sort of vitamin powder that would just pointlessly go to waste if it were washed off. But maybe there's still a benefit?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there is a rice thread btw: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049129

FutureCop posted:

I can't believe we're discussing this in the Steam thread, but hey, steaming is a process you cook rice with, so I guess it works.

About washing rice: that's not something you do with American rice, correct? The way I understand it, most American rice is already washed and also enriched with some sort of vitamin powder that would just pointlessly go to waste if it were washed off. But maybe there's still a benefit?
the thread covers it but you need to wash regardless and that won't remove the enrichment it's designed to handle water and cooking

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FutureCop posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1356670/?snr=1_5_9__205

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

FutureCop posted:

steaming is a process you cook rice with

drat, and we just changed the thread title too.

Uh...

So given that it's the Earth Appreciation Festival on Steam, how's Terra Nil doing? I remember liking the concept but hearing that it was relatively light on content compared to what was expected. But I see that the team's been doing post-launch support for the last year?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Illusory Wall is here to teach you everything you need to know about Vagrants. :eng101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqg6FeRe0I4

DS1 has a lot of weird experimental online mechanics. I like to think of them as the Dark Souls version of World Tendency. Good Vagrants being born from discarded items especially feels like more of a DeS thing considering that's the only game with a limited inventory.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The main time I saw vagrants was during the time that the Dark Souls subreddits started a campaign for players to come back and cause a resurgence in the online co-op and PVP so new players can experience how the online felt in its prime, though I have yet to see the dark red ones. Fun times!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

it's rice to see crabs in the steam thread

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there is a rice thread btw: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049129

the thread covers it but you need to wash regardless and that won't remove the enrichment it's designed to handle water and cooking

thank you very much for the rice discussion and for dropping the link to the rice thread, i am buying a new rice cooker

for gaming talk, manor lords is cool and ive been enjoying it on gamepass, is the steam version different/better? i know sometimes gamepass is behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I have a $20 rice cooker with the extremely fuzzy logic of "fill with rice and water, bowl depresses spring onto heating element, cooked rice is lifted up by spring" and it has yet to be defeated