Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I've slept on it now and I don't think this is the death of the game. Mind you, I'm still a newbie and have only had the game for 100 days.

I don't agree with the p2w aspects they use to try to sell game upgrades and I'll never buy them. As I've said before, p2w makes the game easier and if anything, I want it to get harder. Other people having p2w perks does actually make the game a little harder for me and as long as it's not game-breaking, I'll still have fun.

I don't understand the price point they've chosen. I'm a frugal guy and I'd have to really, really want a game to pay that much for it. I imagine they'd sell a lot more, if it was priced more like a normal game. But I don't really want the things in the Unheard edition - not at $250 and not at $50.

I can understand people with EOD versions of the game feeling betrayed. Did you actually want the features in the new version or is it more the principle of the thing?

So yes, BSG seem like big idiots when it comes to business. I'll still give them credit for making a great game, though. A game that I've put a scary amount of time into in the 100 days I've had it. I hope that you guys will still keep playing and will continue to have as much fun as I am <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I have probably close to 1000 hours in Live Tarkov and I've played a couple hundred hours of SPT over the last month or two, including SIT which is the co-op mod.

SPT 3.8.0 is in a good state and all the mods that have been updated are great. I fully encourage you to find your balance of mods. There's not a lot. Setting the filter to 3.8.0, sorting by most popular, browsing and downloading the mods you like until you get bored is not a bad way to go. There's not a ton of mods and not many compatibility issues.

With my first run in SPT 3.7, I was trying to do all the things I never could've done Live. My current run, I've disabled flea market and tuned things to be a bit more 'hardcore'. Both runs have been so much more fun than Live.

All the mods I've seen posted are really good recommendations, but they all miss one very VERY VERY important mod: Amands Goofy Sounds. This lets you change all the voicelines for bots. It comes with some good stuff but I've been adding a ton random sound clips. It's definitely my favorite mod and not in the SPT hub for some reason. It totally works with every version of SPT as well.

I grabbed a bunch of great clips with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4K9UwpxAJM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvMLH6f_tsQ

As an owner of Edge of Dorkness, I'm more than happy to help anyone start playing SPT, troubleshoot, answer questions, etc.

Oh also, SIT! The co-op mod is so close to being in a good place. It was super janky a couple months ago but it's really getting there and I'm hoping it's in a solid place in a month or two so I can host a stable server. The server is super lightweight and takes nothing to run, the host of the match does all the work. I fully plan on running a server so I'll let ya'll know when I've managed that so we can all Escape From Targoon, Goonkov? Goongov? Goon in Goongoon? goon

anyway im drunk and gently caress bsg

EDIT: OH ALSO ADDED BONUS OF SPT IS BEING ABLE TO PLAY ON LINUX

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 27, 2024

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

lol @ that sound mod. Hell you don't even have to dig for sounds really, just change it so every scav uses that one line where the dude rants and rants and RANTS for like two full minutes

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Eat The Rich posted:

All the mods I've seen posted are really good recommendations, but they all miss one very VERY VERY important mod: Amands Goofy Sounds. This lets you change all the voicelines for bots. It comes with some good stuff but I've been adding a ton random sound clips. It's definitely my favorite mod and not in the SPT hub for some reason. It totally works with every version of SPT as well.

Escape From Tarkov: CHEEKI BREEKI edition.

Depending on how contextual bot voicelines are the possibilities are endless with this.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

lol @ that sound mod. Hell you don't even have to dig for sounds really, just change it so every scav uses that one line where the dude rants and rants and RANTS for like two full minutes

What if he added the original english version as well? EDIT- booo age restriction- https://youtu.be/cze2jhPb554?si=6oLv5_2GAnJ5Zyr0&t=52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cze2jhPb554&t=52s

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

started playing SPT last night and drat im getting my rear end kicked. i only seem to successfully extract about a third of the time
fun though

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/tarkov/status/1784184163391672734

Well, as damage control, EoD players are getting the PvE mode fully... on full game release :v: Some discouts for EoD here and there, also PvE will be sold separately soon, but they need to spin up some new severs for that as the current ones get full.

Still a lovely situation

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kikas posted:

Well, as damage control, EoD players are getting the PvE mode fully... on full game release :v:

So, never.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

yeah you don't have to ever give EoD players the game when the game never actually comes out

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

hbag posted:

started playing SPT last night and drat im getting my rear end kicked. i only seem to successfully extract about a third of the time
fun though

There's a way with the f12 menu to adjust the bot settings globally with SAIN AI mod. I ended up playing around with the global bot recoil modifier a bit to get a more "realistic" bot accuracy. I rarely get 1-tapped anymore but I almost always get shot first in an engagement with enemy pmc bots or scavs. The first few shots seem to always hit legs and arms now rather than default difficulty where they 1-tap you in a large number of encounters with super bot aim.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jakosa posted:

I've slept on it now and I don't think this is the death of the game.

I'd normally agree but with the way nikita keeps smashing his nuts with a hammer every time he opens his mouth I'm not so sure. They're trying to walk some of this back after doubling down and the community still isn't having it. They've dumpstered any goodwill that their very dedicated playerbase had. They could/should have just opened a pretty princess dressup cash shop that people would have gladly thrown money at after spending $150 for a game that's never coming out and they would have raked in more money. They've hosed up big time here.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

There's a way with the f12 menu to adjust the bot settings globally with SAIN AI mod. I ended up playing around with the global bot recoil modifier a bit to get a more "realistic" bot accuracy. I rarely get 1-tapped anymore but I almost always get shot first in an engagement with enemy pmc bots or scavs. The first few shots seem to always hit legs and arms now rather than default difficulty where they 1-tap you in a large number of encounters with super bot aim.

oh i figured i was just bad. ill check that out

tjones
May 13, 2005

Jakosa posted:

I can understand people with EOD versions of the game feeling betrayed. Did you actually want the features in the new version or is it more the principle of the thing?

Pure principle.

I bought EOD a week or two after buying the standard edition because the dope you get from playing it was incomparable to any other game out back then and that still holds true now. I wanted to support BSG after being on the fence for some time while waiting for it to come to steam. When I realized it wasn't going to hit 1.0 ever, I dipped my toes into standard and immediately realized it was a gem and wanted to support it further.

I couldn't care less about the stash space, starting bonuses, or other EOD perks other than I expected my $120+ to include all the future updates and addons.

Also part of the reason I like Tarkov is because I'm a masochist at heart. I'd rather everyone be on an even playing field when it comes to the core gameplay. The P2W poo poo is gross. Even more so now that BSG has admitted the SOS 'spawn on me I'm in trouble guys' beacon is going into live. That poo poo is wild and even if someone wanted to rules lawyer away excuses for the pockets or whatever, the COD revival beacon has aboslutely zero place in live Tarkov.

I doubt Tarkov dies, but up until now its playerbase was extremely insular and had an air of loyalty that other games could only hope to establish. They've thrown all that away and may not ever recoup what they've lost. The guys saying they could have made a quick 10 million selling hideout pets or gunskins aren't wrong. BSG tried leaning on the scales and drunkely toppled the whole loving thing over ontop of itself.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
they are kinda hosed because lol running server instances for single players is going to be expensive as gently caress compared to the normal thing of getting 15-30 users per instance, particularly indefinitely as an ongoing expense. on the other hand, it's impossible to really feel sorry for them because they made an incredibly unambiguous promise to provide all future dlcs (and worded it in a broad way, too) in exchange for charging an exorbitant amount of money for the package

honestly idk what way out of this shitshow there is for them that isn't just giving pve to all eod players and eating the cost

ironically if they'd given it to eod for free and had it as, like, a $45 standalone purchase that would let people play with their eod-having friends bsg would be loving rolling in money and happy players right now and they would sell a ton of copies because eft has enough content and good core gameplay that it works entirely fine as a single/multi player pve game.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

to avoid running server instances for single players and co-op couldnt they just do a peer-to-peer kinda deal?

tjones
May 13, 2005
Whether or not they're physically capable of developing it in a way that isn't poo poo, the way forward seems clear to me. They give the PVE mode to EOD accounts, create a cheaper DLC addon package for anyone who wants the PVE mode, and they make the PVE raids listen servers instead.

I'm sure a lot of people who don't have the hardware to run the AI logic on their machines without grinding to a halt would be upset, but I'd imagine there are roughly the same size group of people who would appreciate not having to wait for queue times, deal with disconnects, or have classic tarkov server input lag/desync while shooting their bots. On top of that you don't piss off the whole community.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

hbag posted:

to avoid running server instances for single players and co-op couldnt they just do a peer-to-peer kinda deal?

You'd think so!

Orv
May 4, 2011

hbag posted:

Dandywalken posted:

You'd think so!

You'd think but also their handling of just about everything we know about the way the game is made makes me think that that would likely cause hilarious issues.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

been working on getting SAIN and is it just me or is the mod page barely holding itself together. is it just because of high traffic from recent news or is it always like this?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Everything related to SPT is getting absolutely hammered, when I got my 3.7.6 stuff last month or so it was flawless.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Jakosa posted:

I don't feel betrayed or anything that dramatic, I just think PVE should be for everybody and I don't think there should be advantages that are available to some people who cough up real money unless they're also able to be earned in game by everybody else.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I just completed the pocket watch quest on customs (this is the first time I actually managed to find the dorms at all!)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well when the stars align and i can get SAIN without the mod hub caking its pants what's a good setup for it

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

hbag posted:

well when the stars align and i can get SAIN without the mod hub caking its pants what's a good setup for it

In the #dev-core channel on the SPT discord, they posted an alternate link for a streamers mod list that includes SAIN. I grabbed it from there last night and it was no problem.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

hbag posted:

I'm bad so I just bumped the bots down as a whole one level. I'm finding that to be fun and satisfying but I'm also not dying very often. The default difficulty was basically the opposite, 1 taps and a lot of aggressive chads. There are myriad granular, individual, per-bot settings you can fiddle with if so inclined, but I personally am not. The overall difficulty is easy to change though, so give the default a whirl and if it feels too hard knock it down a peg.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
:allears:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Saganlives posted:

I'm bad so I just bumped the bots down as a whole one level. I'm finding that to be fun and satisfying but I'm also not dying very often. The default difficulty was basically the opposite, 1 taps and a lot of aggressive chads. There are myriad granular, individual, per-bot settings you can fiddle with if so inclined, but I personally am not. The overall difficulty is easy to change though, so give the default a whirl and if it feels too hard knock it down a peg.

Yeah the easiest things to tweak quickly for a better experience if you find yourself getting clapped are

1) Lower the bot difficulty a peg
2) Turn on headshot protection (this 'nudges' the bot's aim down towards your thorax if they're aiming for a dome shot, but recoil can push it back up. Its not, like 'invulnerable head' mode.
3) Make bot reaction time slower so you have an extra split second to line up an opening shot.
4) Decrease their aim multiplier so they aren't as great shots.

I also like increasing the distance at which my flashlight effects them, and its blinding effect so I can go deer spotlighting.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

all i did was turn the bot spread multiplier up from 1 to 1.25, disable the gigachad personality and turn on headshot protection and im already doing way better

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Jakosa posted:

i wouldnt have bought eod just for the in game stuff at all. was 100% bcos ive played 1k+ hours and wanted to get whatever dlc in the future cos id buy it anyway.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I don't feel betrayed or anything that dramatic, I just think PVE should be for everybody and I don't think there should be advantages that are available to some people who cough up real money unless they're also able to be earned in game by everybody else.

They really should be giving the PvE to everyone.
I give less than a poo poo if someone else has two more squares in their pockets.
The "call for help item" is dumb.

Gray Zone announcing their launch date on Monday.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Vorenus posted:

Escape From Tarkov: CHEEKI BREEKI edition.

Depending on how contextual bot voicelines are the possibilities are endless with this.

There's four folders. One for when they get hit, one for when they spot you, one for death and a random folder. My random folder is pretty much all of Dracula Flow cut up into bits

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Arrath posted:

Yeah the easiest things to tweak quickly for a better experience if you find yourself getting clapped are

1) Lower the bot difficulty a peg
2) Turn on headshot protection (this 'nudges' the bot's aim down towards your thorax if they're aiming for a dome shot, but recoil can push it back up. Its not, like 'invulnerable head' mode.
3) Make bot reaction time slower so you have an extra split second to line up an opening shot.
4) Decrease their aim multiplier so they aren't as great shots.

I also like increasing the distance at which my flashlight effects them, and its blinding effect so I can go deer spotlighting.

To add to this: there's an option for CQB reactions. If you turn it off, they react slower to you when you're nearby. It helps them not snap-turn 180 but I think it makes combat too easy. Ymmv

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
They're saying it's unsustainable for them, hosting servers etc for the PVE mode, but they could just make it so the loving group leader in coop hosts the game.

It may be a bit more cheater friendly but it's PVE anyway so it's kind loving pointless either way and just seems like another bullshit excuse to me.

tjones
May 13, 2005
There are twitter posts being passed around from persons who claim they've figured out how to break into PVE raids and kill the offline mode players.

I haven't seen any proof yet but if those claims are true then lmao this just keeps getting better.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nutsak posted:

They really should be giving the PvE to everyone.
I give less than a poo poo if someone else has two more squares in their pockets.
The "call for help item" is dumb.

Gray Zone announcing their launch date on Monday.

They said that they will let people buy the PvE on it's own soon. Price unknown, but EoD players get 50% discount on that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kikas posted:

They said that they will let people buy the PvE on it's own soon. Price unknown, but EoD players get 50% discount on that.

lol lmao well in another two or three updates I guess they’ll just give it to EoD people

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

shame. game has so much love and care put into it by the devs but the strategic thinking by the manchild at the head has always been suspect as hell. been fun, bye bye

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
by quitting youre only saving them money on server costs. youre playing right into their hands.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
smh not a true believer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Kikas posted:

70%* for the stand alone. EoD gets 50% on the upgrade price to the Unheard Edition. PvE will be part of EoD "at release".

I, and the person I quoted, think PvE should be part of all editions - now.