Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
My brother recently bought some Tau guys and I don't know what their deal is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Benagain posted:

There's a necron lord whose schtik is that he was one of the greatest generals they've ever known but is suffering from dementia and views all opponents as variations of battles he's already fought with no knowledge of his current state as a soulless robot. He'll do things like take captive generals back to the flagship to feast them in honor of their worthy combat and not in the way where they're all insane and eating each other, he just has a banquet for some poor imperial bastard who can't understand what's happening or why the robots have piles of food in front of them. He wins so much that no one has been able to coup him even though his underlings are sick of it. Well, plus he has an insanely competent and sane bodyguard.

He's been in a few short stories/books and it's heavily implied but not outright stated that the dementia is a ruse to downplay his competence enough so that he's not seen as a serious threat by any ruling dynasties.

For an entire book of Necrons being hilarious, may I recommend The Infinite And The Divine, which features everybody's favorite Trazyn the Infinite vs Orikan the Diviner as they attempt and fail to kill and/or embarrass each other over millions of years.

the necrons have a bunch of old gay married couples and i love them all

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My brother recently bought some Tau guys and I don't know what their deal is supposed to be.

Imperialists that "generously" allow other species to join their empire (so long as they fit into the incredibly regid caste system the entire empire is based around). They're the bright eyed, naive faction that thinks the warp, psykers and daemons can be understood through science, like the material world, when it absolutely cannot.

Also they build big robot battlesuits and hovertanks

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

A cynical cash grab by GW during the 2000's anime explosion that were pretty racistly coded as Japanese honor/caste dudes with their own version of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. That then I think got retconned into a different stereotype of Asiatic hordes only working towards a unified society because of mind-control.

Because the authors are British boomers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think at the start they were broadly supposed to be a parody of NATO. They’re this big multi-ethnic alliance with the best most advanced weapons. And they never go to war, they simply conduct peace-keeping operations.

But that quickly got left behind, and they took a couple stabs at making them grimdark with mind control and stuff, but that didn’t stick. So now they’re basically just good guys. The current plot is about the Tau dealing more and more with Chaos, and the Ethereals trying to keep it under wraps. And as more and more non-Tau groups with greater psychic powers join the Empire, they are starting to birth something new in the Warp; T’au’va, the god of cooperation and understanding.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lol at the last two posts and their juxtaposition

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
give it 3 or 4 more retcons, they'll settle down. unlike other franchises those 3 or 4 retcons are almost certainly actually gonna happen

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Gripweed posted:

T’au’va, the god of cooperation and understanding.

Tzeentch and Slaanesh and Nurgle and Khorne and Gork and Mork and Khaine come in with everything needed to give the giant nerd god a swirly while the dead emperor watches in the corner.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

The fun part is that most of the setting is presented with such broad strokes that you can present your Tau as "hypocritical, two-faced expansionists who reduce other civilizations into impotent vassals through a brutal caste system and chemical persuasion," or go in the direction of "the only sane force in the universe who genuinely want to seek peaceful coexistence with everyone else," or anywhere in between.

Hell, your brother can just go "screw it, these guys are a breakaway group of mercenary pirates that the rest of the Tau desperately try to pretend don't exist in an effort to avoid the PR damage."

Making poo poo up about your army is honestly my favorite thing about this awful hobby.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If you read the newer Tau fluff the only suggestions mind control are about some of the Ethereals possibly being mind controlled by a species of alien mind control worms

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ChickenHeart posted:

The fun part is that most of the setting is presented with such broad strokes that you can present your Tau as "hypocritical, two-faced expansionists who reduce other civilizations into impotent vassals through a brutal caste system and chemical persuasion," or go in the direction of "the only sane force in the universe who genuinely want to seek peaceful coexistence with everyone else," or anywhere in between.

Hell, your brother can just go "screw it, these guys are a breakaway group of mercenary pirates that the rest of the Tau desperately try to pretend don't exist in an effort to avoid the PR damage."

Making poo poo up about your army is honestly my favorite thing about this awful hobby.

designated breakaway guys is farsight enclaves, led by commander farsight who is mysteriously immortal due to a blade that may be malign xenos or chaos they're prolly gonna turn to chaos one of these days, according to the latest splat about them

who knows if the tau are good guys: what they are unquestionably are the straight men, the seinfeld to this universe's george costanza energy

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 28, 2024

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

If you read the newer Tau fluff the only suggestions mind control are about some of the Ethereals possibly being mind controlled by a species of alien mind control worms

I mean this still is directly to my point. The Korean / Vietnam War vets who came back thinking "maybe this Communism thing ain't so bad" must have been brainwashed by the perfidious Orientals who in turn were the puppets of the evil Soviets. It's the same poo poo with scifi clothes on.

Edit: also gently caress I forgot you also get to literally have the cannibals with them if you want.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.reddit.com/r/Tau40K/comments/199vcke/proxy_for_kroot_racism_check/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Springfield Fatts posted:

I mean this still is directly to my point. The Korean / Vietnam War vets who came back thinking "maybe this Communism thing ain't so bad" must have been brainwashed by the perfidious Orientals who in turn were the puppets of the evil Soviets. It's the same poo poo with scifi clothes on.

Edit: also gently caress I forgot you also get to literally have the cannibals with them if you want.

The mind control worms come in well after the Empire is formed. The Tau fought the worms but eventually made peace and now some Ethereals are frequently seen with mind control worm "advisors". It's just an open plot hook, the thematic value of it is more about the danger of letting in every group who claims to be cool with you and the risks of the totalitarian control of the Ethereals. Which is why I find the T'au'va plotline so interesting, it creates a power structure in the T'au Empire that is wholly separate, indeed essentially inaccessible, to the Ethereals. I really hope they develop it further.

Yeah the Kroot own. Since they take on the traits of anything they eat, they naturally consider eating someone the highest honor you can give them

And just look at them. Kroot literally ride their big dumb cousins into battle

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Yeah, the best part of 40k is everything is so large that anything you can think of is happening. It's a setting where you can have Commissars be the beacons of Imperial might that run head first into the worst fights and being uncorruptable, while also having a giant coward like Cain around.

There's also so many Space Marine chapters you can find whatever your heart desires. Mad Vikings that get drunk and fight each other? Go nuts. Super serious and grimdark guys who seem to have the shittiest luck and get hosed over every opportunity? Why not? Boring but insanely competent guys who are the white bread of Space Marines? Of course. A loyalist chapter that steals everything that isn't nailed to the ground, including the machine that nails things to the ground, to such an extreme an Ork would be impressed? Why are you even asking, of course!

it's a world of pure imagination

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Can Space Marines fight Space Marines? Like, would people get mad at you if you pitched Blood Angels against Space Wolves or something?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats the main actual kind of game being played because the spess mehrines comprise a plurality of sales. might be a flat majority iirc

then again, most peeps first army is marines, nobody's seventh army is marines

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 28, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah the lore is set up so that any faction can fight any other faction including themselves so you never have to worry about lore conflicts. Guardsmen vs space Marines? Don't even need to have one side be outright chaos just have a dispute about local taxes escalate. Space Marines vs space marines? Somebody insulted someone else and now Honor is at stake. Or ancient tech or a chapter secret etc etc

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
another kroot note is that the only non human eating faction is asuryani eldar, so someones gotta eat humans in that faction and the kroot were it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Benagain posted:

Yeah the lore is set up so that any faction can fight any other faction including themselves so you never have to worry about lore conflicts. Guardsmen vs space Marines? Don't even need to have one side be outright chaos just have a dispute about local taxes escalate. Space Marines vs space marines? Somebody insulted someone else and now Honor is at stake. Or ancient tech or a chapter secret etc etc

Hell, you can explain anything away as Tzeentch or Alpha Legion shenanigans.

naem
May 29, 2011

don’t forget the best faction of them all:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
square base = warhammer fantasy battle

if you magnetize a demon only army's bases or if peeps are cool w unit trays you can play any gw warhammer game, whfb aos or 40k, if you care about that sorta thing

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 28, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
poo poo everyone talks about slannesh being the god of edging but tzeentch canonically will backstab themselves before actually achieving things sometimes since that's what they are

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Disco Pope posted:

Can Space Marines fight Space Marines? Like, would people get mad at you if you pitched Blood Angels against Space Wolves or something?

Actually yes, theres a campaign book called the Badab war. it was a civil war between several space marine chapters. They didnt fall to chaos(actually some did) or anything, they were trying to consolidate power in the parts of the galaxy they were looking over and then the imperium came in and had some disagreements which resulted in a small civil war.

The imperium is definetly not completely organized or on the same page, with so many competing organizations theres bound to be some conflict.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 28, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Benagain posted:

poo poo everyone talks about slannesh being the god of edging but tzeentch canonically will backstab themselves before actually achieving things sometimes since that's what they are

I think the edging jokes come from how loving long we’ve been waiting for Emperor’s Children to get their own Codex and model range.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Benagain posted:

Yup. In the game Dark Crusade Imperial Guard fight Space Marines, and the reason why is because of a dispute over who is at the top of the chain or command. The Marines told the Guard to leave the planet, the Guard said gently caress you this planet is their's by Imperial Decree, so fighting was the natural outcome.

Probably the same thing in Soulstorm to explain why the Sisters of Battle fight Marines and the Guard, but we don't talk about Soulstorm.

Of course when you are dealing with the Space Wolves they fight other Marine chapters because it's fun and they're bored. The difference between a Space Wolf and an Ork is basically just skin color.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

Actually yes, theres a campaign book called the Badab war. it was a civil war between several space marine chapters. They didnt fall to chaos(actually some did) or anything, they were trying to consolidate power in the parts of the galaxy they were looking over and then the imperium came in and had some disagreements which resulted in a small civil war.

The imperium is definetly not completely organized or on the same page, with so many competing organizations theres bound to be some conflict.

huron blackheart, second most important warmaster of chaos and prolly the better written one before the adb books on abaddon, started off in the badab war

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Sometimes when I talk about primarchs I add in names from the MST3K episode with "Space Mutiny" like "Butch Deadlift" & "Punch Rockgroin" and nobody has ever corrected me.

one of the ones who went bad was named Angron

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

don’t forget the best faction of them all:

Grotz is good. taste well with catsup

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

one of the ones who went bad was named Angron

His gimmick is that he’s angry ALL the time and has special magic brain spikes to make him even ANGRIER.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rhandhali posted:

His gimmick is that he’s angry ALL the time and has special magic brain spikes to make him even ANGRIER.

it was a parody of a parody, then a parody came along, now I not so sure

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The Badab War is the biggest one, but yeah, Space Marines deciding that they're not paying taxes anymore in order to set up their own crusader state is a thing that occasionally happens.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that's the default state for a fortress-monastery planet, it's just that they decide to expand

and there's of course an exception made for guilliman's 500 worlds of ultramar...

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that's the default state for a fortress-monastery planet, it's just that they decide to expand

and there's of course an exception made for guilliman's 500 worlds of ultramar...

Everyone gives Guilliman and the Ultramarines poo poo, but they are the best. They are the only ones, aside from the Salamanders, who care about civilians. Lorewise they are the best, if you're playing on the tabletop, chaos reigns

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Guliman is not the greatest warrior or general or psyker or anything having to do with waging battles.

His specialty was logistics.

guess what wins wars though

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Hihohe posted:

Guliman is not the greatest warrior or general or psyker or anything having to do with waging battles.

giant murder robots and fascist space marines

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

Third World Reagan posted:

giant murder robots and fascist space marines

I mean... Yeah. Not really sure how to respond to either of you. It was supposed to be a big joke, against the Margaret Thatcher government

naem
May 29, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Grotz is good. taste well with catsup

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Torchlighter posted:

Which honestly kinda sucks since we already have Guilliman to be the boring generic Big Good Boss for all that his coming back helped settle the worst of the flat character accusations.

Lionel over here simply removing half of the already pretty thin on the ground dark angels story hooks ain't a huge amount better.

There's some semi-informed speculation the Russ is on deck so they could probably do something to make him a foil to the other two. Especially Lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Whamuudes's Top 20 Primarchs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH22mXIcs9s
You'll never guess his number one