Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

amigolupus posted:

"The dragonman wants my blood." Gee, I wonder why the guy who was just minding his own business in the gym that you challenged to a sudden duel would be pissed at you?
Look it's not Korro's fault the blasted dragonman had the gall to fight back and not just let himself itself be run through as a lesson to the rest of the undesirables. Most unsporting of it, that :lofty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Why's Phantom so invested in gaslighting the jungle patrol

I don't think he's explained (yet?).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think he said something in one comic about wanting to burn off the john x identity or at least stop the captain suspecting john x was the unseen commander

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

I'm PRETTY sure the idea here is that an awkward transition from one topic to another is called "a donkey's bridge" in Finnish, and the donkey is clearly dropping a lot of them. Not a big leap to make to say it's a direct translation from the Latin phrase "pons asinorum", which literally means ... well, "donkey bridge", but the usage is different. In the original Latin I believe it referred to a difficult concept or theory a student might not understand.

Oh, and I just noticed that the donkey is also standing on a bridge. So I guess that's that.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

amigolupus posted:

Uh, Moy? The drive of the car probably got whiplash or hurt their neck in their effort not to run over a poor old man. They're the real hero here, not that piece of poo poo, Wilbur.

The caption pretty clearly implies the car was heading for the sidewalk already when Wilbur pushed him out of the way. The driver didn't steer out of the way at the last second to avoid the man in the street.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Green Intern posted:

I really like that Thorg is apparently just a constant of the fens.

While Foster colored Thorg's hair brown yesterday, today we get a different impression. I wonder if Horrit is still alive?

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 23, 1962)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

amigolupus posted:

Uh, Moy? The drive of the car probably got whiplash or hurt their neck in their effort not to run over a poor old man. They're the real hero here, not that piece of poo poo, Wilbur.
I think the weekday strip showed that the driver was already not driving straight when the man was pushed.

Either way Wilbur is just running on blind luck, almost literally. He is barely aware of his surroundings.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Birdis

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/28/04

Brenda Starr 2/9-11/53

Smokey Stover 3/19/61

Everyday Movies 6/25/37

"Hey, get out of the tub; I want to rinse the dishes."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/9-11/43

Closer Than We Think! 3/19/61

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Scarlett I think you have a problem

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Scarlett I think you have a problem

Yeah, she should stop drinking coffee at night. That's unhealthy as hell.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/10-11/43

I love the convenient hand placement. :haw:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Synthbuttrange posted:

Why's Phantom so invested in gaslighting the jungle patrol

Elaborate foreplay.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/6/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/9/1994)

Ziggy

(12/6/1971)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Kavak posted:

We have days like that in Connecticut. I don't think it's as bad but the green film still appears on everything.

To put the pollen here in perspective: It usually happens around Easter depending on when Easter falls. One year Easter was a little later so the pollening had been in full swing and there was a rain a few days before. We went to a local lake to go swimming for Easter because it was warm. A lot of the pollen had washed into the lake from the forest that surrounded it. We were picking up handfuls of pine pollen that were collecting in the water along the shore and having a pollen fight. It has the consistency of corn starch.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Beep Beep, Ziggy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

This has triggered my semi-annual "What suddenly compels comic authors - especially Holbrook, who does three strips that are all steeped in lore and continuity - to add a CONTINUED! tag to their ongoing narrative strips on a random weekday" grousing. "I should let new readers know that this isn't a gag-a-day strip, this conversation is going to go on, we're not just ending on a non sequitur here."

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose with Bonus Reader Feedback!

I don't make a habit of checking the Rose is Rose comments section, but maybe I need to start.

Ending on a Non Sequitur

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

JethroMcB posted:

Ending on a Non Sequitur

Is this the adventures of Young Dethany (from Fastrack Elementary)?

Pluggers

Pluggers have no nice photos of themselves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Medenmath posted:

While Foster colored Thorg's hair brown yesterday, today we get a different impression. I wonder if Horrit is still alive?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

That looks more like Mike Tyson had a snack than a "notch"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
yeah Safe Havens people (all Holbrookians really) have no loving social skills. or the ones of a toddler. HEY WHY ARE YOU DIFFERENT LOOKING!

lol do it Queen Fria! I want to see you make Dale finally stop being all wishy washy about poo poo.

also, for Scarlett, I always thought the Shallow Hal curse would have been nice to have. like it or not, most of us are visual creatures, it would be nice to bypass that. the little girl in the burn ward loving hit like a truck though.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 28, 1936)

Peanuts (May 2, 1977)

Harry Dinkleshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (June 8-10, 1936; spoilers because that guy with the earring the mad scientist is calling "Sancho" is making me twitchy.)

Thimble Theater (December 2, 1940)

Out Our Way (July 27-29, 1944)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

So, isn't there also now a second Cobra floating around? I wonder if the writer will remember that at some point.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Weembles posted:

So, isn't there also now a second Cobra floating around? I wonder if the writer will remember that at some point.

Speculation spoiler (in case it actually happens): Since Breezy was the one who triggered TNT's beast mode in the first place, I'm starting to suspect there's a second Breezy in this story. Especially since we've had plotlines with fake Breezys before.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

yeah Safe Havens people (all Holbrookians really) have no loving social skills. or the ones of a toddler. HEY WHY ARE YOU DIFFERENT LOOKING!

There's unintentional comedy when characters in Hellworld do it because everyone comes across as racist for asking "HEY WHY IS YOUR SPECIES DOING STEREOTYPE?"

EasyEW posted:

Harry Dinkleshaft

This has been like, what, a solid month of Batiuk's self-inserts fellating each other? How pathetic. You just know Batiuk is struggling to keep it in his pants by not adding in Les.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

amigolupus posted:

This has been like, what, a solid month of Batiuk's self-inserts fellating each other? How pathetic. You just know Batiuk is struggling to keep it in his pants by not adding in Les.

I'm sure that will be the grand (mal) finale.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(October 31, 1910)

Baron Bean(May 1, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(March 31, 1913)

url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Astor]Vincent Astor[/url]

Gasoline Alley(December 22, 1919)

Us Boys(April 29, 1912)

The Gumps(May 28, 1917)

Bringing up Father(January 22, 1913)

Abie the Agent(February 16, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 11, 1918)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Medenmath posted:

Holy poo poo that's a duck massacre

Luann

I'd say, "Oh poo poo, now we gotta deal with Gunther," but I'm not convinced Team Evans is aware of what a despicable cretin Gunther is.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I'd say, "Oh poo poo, now we gotta deal with Gunther," but I'm not convinced Team Evans is aware of what a despicable cretin Gunther is.

Jokes aside, I'm still not sure what this business of theirs is supposed to do for their "clients". A Silicon Valley startup for a fart app is better explained than whatever this is.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

If you die in imagination, you die in real life!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Jokes aside, I'm still not sure what this business of theirs is supposed to do for their "clients". A Silicon Valley startup for a fart app is better explained than whatever this is.

Giving expert personalized makeover advice would be a service. Actually having that knowledge of fashion would be a second degree's worth of education in itself but perhaps the author is accurately writing how idiotic the two are being.

Tiff's thing was being a fashion diva and Bets was a popular cosplaying influencer but Tiff gained ten pounds in her lifetime so she became dumpy and fat and lame according to the rest of the cast and Bets isn't allowed to draw any positives from the Before Gunther time. And they're idiots so they said aloud that they'd <buzzwords> to do it, up to and including AI. :v:

"You'd be more popular if you wore better make-up and more expensive clothing, here's concept art I "made" by pulling the most generic results possible from YOUNG + BLONDE + WOMAN + BLANK SLATE + FASHION" "wow thanks" "$500 please!"

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

If I'm being extremely generous, they are trying to guide people to develop their personal brand for professional use. In the MBA world, a personal brand is just picking out at least one thing about yourself that aligns with your company values or whatever position you're gunning for, and then you self-promote around that until people around the office associate you with that value (or skill, or strength, or whatever) . We've had a few speakers about it at my office over the past few years. Some of my coworkers got really into it.

They should just use Luann's video as an "after" video.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

They almost had “life coach” and then veered off into whatever this is.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's funny how Team Evans keep trying to present Tiff and Bets helping Luann rebrand as them being stupid, shallow girls. Luann is supposed to be admirable because she's a simple girl who's content with who she is! ...Except that every single time we see Luann, she's whining about how she's so loving boring that the guy in her writing class doesn't want to hang out with her or how she can't come up with an interesting anecdote in her life for her written essay! She's a dope who's miserable with who she is, yet Team Evans would ignore that as long as they can poo poo on Tiff and Bets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should charge for reworking dating profiles. More students are ruinously horny than disappointed with their personal brand, and reworking someone's profile pictures and language to make it more engaging to the target audience should be a lot closer to their skill level.