Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If I join the brotherhood in 4 will it lock me into some lame brain bos fealty or can I just hustle them for all the tech. My dude would totally get on a hustle for tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

JBP posted:

If I join the brotherhood in 4 will it lock me into some lame brain bos fealty or can I just hustle them for all the tech. My dude would totally get on a hustle for tech.

You can join all the factions at the same time for a while, but the ending missions will require you to lock into one. You'll probably be able to tell when that happens.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay I see the appeal of Fallout 4

I just cleared the Corvega Factory. It was massive, absolutely crawling with baddies. Felt impossible at first but then I figured out how to pick off guys and kite crowds. Climbing up to the tops of the towers, you get an incredible view of the landscape. Yes it’s low poly, but it makes up for it with massive cityscapes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

That’s good, because it’s getting really boring. I just fought a raider in power armor for a Crater quest Missing Persons, and I completely broke two guns from full durability and used around 350 .44 rounds. That loving sucks, so I’m glad it doesn’t stay this way

This is half the reason I don't like the game so much. It feels like I can't really play a bunch of styles as well as I could in other Fallout games and having to level to like, level 50 before levelscaling stops being as big of a thing is just insane.

Edit: That and the fact that playing it makes me feel sick to my stomach, something to do either with the FOV or some other graphical setting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I just cleared the Corvega Factory. It was massive, absolutely crawling with baddies. Felt impossible at first but then I figured out how to pick off guys and kite crowds. Climbing up to the tops of the towers, you get an incredible view of the landscape. Yes it’s low poly, but it makes up for it with massive cityscapes.

did you find the bobblehead up at the top

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I remember hating Fallout 4 when it first came out but I put in some mad time into the game during the covid quarantine era. I like to think that whatever brain damage covid causes you when you catch it will make you enjoy Fallout 4 more.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

titties posted:

I have regular stuff like a vampire's handmade, anti armor combat rifle, final word, vampire's gatling plasma, 2-shot grenade launcher.

My big problem is never enough ammo, and no interest in playing one of the mutant or 1 hp builds

Vampire is about not having to hit H once in a while in combat, you have stimpaks coming out of your ears and by default H is mapped to "use any stimpak" so I never felt like it was important to have a vampire gun. I never played low health builds either.

For 40mm ammo the best source is Daily Ops using your 2-shot GL, you can do one or two solo and just not worry about the time and if you loot everything (hit R iirc) you will have way more ammo than you spend. This applies to 40mm ammo in particular but same goes for every weapon type except for gatling laser/gatling plasma (fusion/plasma cores don't drop from enemies but you still get way more than you use if you complete the op). Loot everything in general.

When crafting ammo you should use the Ammo Smith and Super Duper perks at least and consider the legendary perk Ammo Factory too.

If you are short on lead, there's a bunch of locations that have piles of it sitting around in various forms, plus many mining nodes in and around Lucky Hole Mine (get your Excavator power armor for this).

Railway rifle needs only iron to make ammo and is by far the easiest gun to keep a lot of ammo for.

Steve Yun posted:

Corvega is one of the all time great Bethesda set pieces, it's a genuine masterpiece :allears:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Entorwellian posted:

I remember hating Fallout 4 when it first came out but I put in some mad time into the game during the covid quarantine era. I like to think that whatever brain damage covid causes you when you catch it will make you enjoy Fallout 4 more.

I'm enjoying it. Do things and get smarter. Tinker with armour. Test drive armour against some goons. Park it and do some stuff until you need it want it. I'm playing a Tony Stark simulator. I'm a bit peeved I'm not strong enough to use the jump jets tho.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

a pretty great jetpack mod (used this one for a long time):
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12471

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I can't speak to 27 years ago at release but Fallout 76 is surprisingly good! I'm going to guess the addition of NPCs helped tremendously. That this game shipped without them is a huge LOL and a 'what were they thinking' moment.

I'm sort of surprised there aren't more things to buy in the shop though, such as more legendaries etc.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's actually a big point in F76's favor, nothing in the cash shop changes your game mechanic performance at all. Even extra perk loadout slots just add a little bit of convenience.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Agreed, that was definitely something I expected to see but was pleasantly surprised when I found that pretty much all the paid stuff is various types of cosmetics.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

When Fallout 4 first came out I did a deep dive and realized it was a huge leap forward in how Bethesda approached vertical spaces in the series. The catwalks on top of Corvega and the forge are a great example, just tons of cover and different vantage points to work with. In Fallout 3 and New Vegas it was mostly just trash piles of varying heights, it makes a big difference in how it feels to engage a group of enemies.

Graphically, I think the game is fine EXCEPT they need to redo the lighting from scratch. It feels like everything is either in a dark shadow or completely blown out by a light source, like using the Pip-boy light or a headlamp makes visibility worse in more cases than not.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

That's actually a big point in F76's favor, nothing in the cash shop changes your game mechanic performance at all. Even extra perk loadout slots just add a little bit of convenience.

Not mechanical performance, but I enjoy the little cookie jar that generates food. Not necessary, but convenient

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Actually one of the very few things that gives you a genuine advantage from the cash shop/Fallout 1st is the buffs from lunchboxes, but w/e

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

Not mechanical performance, but I enjoy the little cookie jar that generates food. Not necessary, but convenient

I have the coffee machine, where is the cookie machine? Is it current?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i managed to get to 1400 points, any decent bundles to get??

and will there be a point where i'll need 1000+ units of scrap steel in a short period? level 35 and my stash is full, time to grind out the daily cap limit

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Kaddish posted:

I have the coffee machine, where is the cookie machine? Is it current?

It should be under C.A.M.P. -> Decorations in the Atom Shop. Was 500 Atoms yesterday.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Booty Pageant posted:

i managed to get to 1400 points, any decent bundles to get??

and will there be a point where i'll need 1000+ units of scrap steel in a short period? level 35 and my stash is full, time to grind out the daily cap limit

yeah all the stuff like steel and plastic you can grind up large amounts just collecting enemy weapons from big dense, busy areas like west tek or the abandoned bog town (lots of laser rifles for plastic) and scrapping them.
e: helpful to have a solid melee or shredder build that you can use to collect this poo poo without needing any ammo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I enjoy watching Jonathan Ferguson's videos on firearms in games. Here's his latest one on Fallout 4 weaponry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdub4K_Tuj0

They're dead on when they say that the gameplay style for Fallout is "shooting while walking backwards"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that's why I'm always hyping that dodge roll mod, it's so good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I also enjoyed how the interior of Corvega Factory was absolutely sprawling and winding. Usually I can keep a dungeon general layout clear in my mind as I’m exploring but Corvega was so twisty that I was constantly fumbling around.

A lot of the rest of the game is janky. When I reported to the Abernathy farmer that I got his daughter’s locket he was sleeping, but when I talked to him he immediately shot up to standing and talking like a mouse trap firing, making me laugh.

But the parts of the game that work are working really well. The twisty maps, the junk collection, the lock picking, the combat, catnip for my lizard brain

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is there a list of weapons that cap out at lower levels than 50? Are there any with a higher level limit? Hit 50 and now I'm nervous about scrapping stuff.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
you could keep upgrading hunting rifles that you start finding at level 5 and it's still pretty drat viable, and the first shotgun you start getting is alright too, but what the hell were they thinking making the double barrel shotgun so drat dissappointing???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FO76:

1. I am trying my strategy of "ignore the main quest and just gently caress around and explore", and I was doing some research, and it seems like the entire zone of The Forest is level 1-10, but there's no defined specific level within the zone. Does that level adjust to mine as I walk into a point-of-interest, but caps out at 10?

2. is there a spot that I can use as a base-of-operations that I wouldn't need to use a CAMP on? Like, something with stash access, a bed, maybe a crafting station or two?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Overseer’s camp is what you want. It’s SE of Vault 76 just over the river.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Also, what's the general pro-strat in regards to legendaries? Buy three stars from the mole or buy modules from the mole and upgrade the ones you already have? I'm very scared of using my currencies wrong.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

FO76:

1. I am trying my strategy of "ignore the main quest and just gently caress around and explore", and I was doing some research, and it seems like the entire zone of The Forest is level 1-10, but there's no defined specific level within the zone. Does that level adjust to mine as I walk into a point-of-interest, but caps out at 10?

2. is there a spot that I can use as a base-of-operations that I wouldn't need to use a CAMP on? Like, something with stash access, a bed, maybe a crafting station or two?

Whitesprings is a good one as well.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i don't even know if you were to only follow the main quest would it even be chronological, even then it's so easy to break the sequence. i've ended up with so many non daily quests from just spam reading almost everything and picking up poo poo, also not to mention quests being added to your pip boy just cause you looked in it's general direction

apparently everything normal will scale to your level until it caps at 50. also i'd look out for red rocket service stations since they have at least a workbench and a stash box

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The main quest seems to be a handful of quest givers getting you to run their errands. That makes it sound worse than it is, but you’ll run into situations where a quest will be like “find this macguffin” and the macguffin can’t be found until finishing another whole quest line.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Was kinda frustrated last night when a friend and I went to do a quest and found out it only makes progress for the person who owns the instance and you can’t do em together. We did his quest, now I gotta go back and do it again for myself.

We finally made our way outside the forest and I’m liking the variety of environments. Keep thinking “ooh this would be a good place for a camp”.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Is there a relative peaceful place that’s flat in 76? I wanna build a mid century rancher. 3 beds, 2 baths. Carport with a backyard patio. Probably some foundation planting

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So private workshops are a waste of time unless you’ll be playing for a long session. Built up three workshops and got kicked from my private server for being idle due to a work meeting. Log back in and all gone. Very sad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Was kinda frustrated last night when a friend and I went to do a quest and found out it only makes progress for the person who owns the instance and you can’t do em together. We did his quest, now I gotta go back and do it again for myself.

We finally made our way outside the forest and I’m liking the variety of environments. Keep thinking “ooh this would be a good place for a camp”.

This is why I'm not interested in fallout 76. How is this not something they figured out? It seems like the big appeal is 76 is multiplayer, and you can't even play together.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NofrikinfuN posted:

When Fallout 4 first came out I did a deep dive and realized it was a huge leap forward in how Bethesda approached vertical spaces in the series. The catwalks on top of Corvega and the forge are a great example, just tons of cover and different vantage points to work with. In Fallout 3 and New Vegas it was mostly just trash piles of varying heights, it makes a big difference in how it feels to engage a group of enemies.

Graphically, I think the game is fine EXCEPT they need to redo the lighting from scratch. It feels like everything is either in a dark shadow or completely blown out by a light source, like using the Pip-boy light or a headlamp makes visibility worse in more cases than not.

I really like that the highways are useful. In fallout 3, the highways are just broken pieces that you can't get to for the most part. But in 4, the highways are a different way of getting into cities. There are people set up on them. And you can use them to get around without worrying about radscorps or whatever else.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SettingSun posted:

Are there like, beginner tips for Fallout 4? I'm getting frustrated enough to consider putting this game back down. I'm trying to do like, the second mission the Brotherhood of Steel has given me to find a lost patrol. This ends up at a satellite array full of super mutants, one of whom is perched up high with a rocket launcher that will kill me in one hit, and he *will* hit me with his height advantage when I look away. Most of the enemy's favorite tactic is to just rush to melee which makes it really hard to shoot them and all my guns do diddly damage anyway, while I take a ton of it. Should I come back with power armor? Do something else? I just don't feel like I'm playing the game right.

"Come back with power armor" is a good idea in general when you're at a low level. It's intended to be a power boost that makes use of the limited resource of fusion cores.

That said, if you're taking a straight route into downtown Boston you'll also meet a super mutant with a rocket launcher, right after the raider gang led by a guy in power armor, though you can sneak by those guys. There's also one along the Freedom Trail, at Fanueil Hall.

So even if you're specializing in something else, pack along a pipe bolt-action or hunting rifle optimized for range, and if possible pick up Critical Banker so you can sit on a crit. Usually the rocket launcher guys will miss their first shot, after which you can pop into VATS and take their heads off. Or if you haven't got a crit ready, pop some Jet so you have a little time to aim.

Conventional gunplay is much better in Fallout 4, but don't ignore VATS since your action points are still a resource. Drugs are also a resource, and much like power armor, if you're having trouble just inject everything into your veins. Med-X, Psycho, ultra|jet|fuel, whatever. If you get addicted it's a few caps once you're through, probably less than you've made by clearing out wherever it is you went.

The Lost Patrol is the last quest the Brotherhood will have for you until the end of act 1, and it does take you to some relatively tough places. Do the little quests from Rhys and Haylen first, if they're close, or poke around Diamond City and, if you're feeling feisty, Goodneighbor.

Going from point to point in the overworld you're likely to find some stuff that's just too tough for you right now. A horde of glowing ghouls in the Cambridge crater. Carhenge and a big car brother. A Deathclaw lairing by a lake. It's not intended that you pick every fight you run into, though of course quests are different.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

This is why I'm not interested in fallout 76. How is this not something they figured out? It seems like the big appeal is 76 is multiplayer, and you can't even play together.

I mean, to be clear, you can play together for the vast majority of it. We’ve just run into one or two of these little instances that do progression solo. Overall we’re having a lotta fun and it’s been pretty seamless which is why this surprised us. Exploring and scavenging together is great, and a lot of the side quests have worked just fine as a group. Hopefully these solo instances stay pretty few and far between.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

Is there a list of weapons that cap out at lower levels than 50? Are there any with a higher level limit? Hit 50 and now I'm nervous about scrapping stuff.

The highest level weapons will be 45 or 50. Level 45 weapons aren't inherently less powerful than level 50 weapons - it's just that they were unlocked at, say, level 15 or 25, rather than level 10 or 20.

I scrap 99.9% of loot armor and weapons. I keep things I personally want to roll into legendary - railways, fixers, tesla rifles.

I scrip 95% of the Legendaries I receive from events or roll with my own modules.

gradenko_2000 posted:

FO76:

Yes all enemies will be downleveled to match yours. The enemy types found outside the Forest may have higher armor / bullet-sponginess but they will still correspond to your level. Similar to FO4, the easiest enemies are in the Northwest, and the harder enemies are in the Southeast. Anywhere in the Northwestern half of the map should be fine if you're trying to match difficulty.

I love Nuka Cola World on Tour in the Ashheap region. There's no bed or Gold Bullion machine, but there's everything else. Lucky Pick, Crater, Foundations and Whitesprings Mall all have the Bullion machines.

I'd recommend doing the free Shelter quest - you'll get a single workshop object you can toss down in any CAMP, and whatever you build inside the shelter (workbenches, stash, etc.) will carry across to whatever new CAMPs you use it in. Very easy to make a quick new CAMP spot and not have to build everything from scratch.

Black Griffon posted:

Also, what's the general pro-strat in regards to legendaries? Buy three stars from the mole or buy modules from the mole and upgrade the ones you already have? I'm very scared of using my currencies wrong.

Never buy them directly from the Purveyor. Always start with a weapon/armor piece you WANT to roll. Otherwise you're gonna be spending your valuable scrip on legendary weapons you'd never use in a hundred playthroughs.

Cojawfee posted:

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I mean, to be clear, you can play together for the vast majority of it. We’ve just run into one or two of these little instances that do progression solo. Overall we’re having a lotta fun and it’s been pretty seamless which is why this surprised us. Exploring and scavenging together is great, and a lot of the side quests have worked just fine as a group. Hopefully these solo instances stay pretty few and far between.

Yeah, this is by design and only really affects a few quests - unfortunately they're early in playthroughs so it pops up frequently for new players. All choices/decisions made inside these instanced areas affect the party leader only. Once each player completes these early missions, you rarely run into it again.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 29, 2024

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The main quest of Fallout 76 also sounds like it is the most boring story of the entire franchise, including the Brotherhood of Steel games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's fine tbh
the Enclave content is pretty good, for all that it's a shell around the insane nuke gimmick. MODUS is real, & strong, & he's my friend