Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

My hottest Fallout take:

Preston Garvey is a good man and a great character, and the slander directed at him is unconscionable.

I'm so sorry that you don't like him telling you constantly that settlements need help. It's a consequence of him being the only person in the whole game that wants to help **everyone** in an area that is under constant threat.

"He's one dimensional!"
No, he's focused. I would say he's the one person focused on what's most important.

"His story is bad!"
Patently false. He was traumatized by what he sees as his failure in Quincy, and as a result has a pathological need to help everyone.

"He asks you to do the work instead of doing it himself!"
What a silly take. His job is to receive and pass along information. It makes sense that he'd be better at that from a central location. Besides, if you want him to get his hands dirty, you can take him with you.

"He's bad game design!"
Again, disagree. His story aligns perfectly with his function in the game, which is to remind you that, no matter how many turrets you build, the Wasteland is still an intensely hostile and dangerous place. Just like in real life, the work will never end.

"He asks you to be the leader, then orders you around."

No he doesn't. He gives you information about places that need help, then lets you decide what to do about it. You know, like a second in command is supposed to.

"the radiant quests are bad."
Once again, I disagree. I would say they are a commentary on real life. In real life, the people who do the most good help others unselfishly, with little reward and little hope of permanent change.

The exact things that make them "bad" quests are the reason why I think they're so important.

The fact is that creating real positive change often involves repetitive work with little personal reward. Helping people not because you'll gain something, but because they need help.

And before someone comes in to say "you're looking too deep into this," let's remember that this is FALLOUT we're talking about. The whole game is a commentary on capitalism, morality, and humanity.

It's INTENDED to be looked at deeply.

The average fallout nerd sees a good person trying to do good and poo poo themselves silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
doing his quests is neat because you start littering the map with lil safe spaces for you to rest and resupply :)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

My hottest Fallout take:

Preston Garvey is a good man and a great character, and the slander directed at him is unconscionable.

I'm so sorry that you don't like him telling you constantly that settlements need help. It's a consequence of him being the only person in the whole game that wants to help **everyone** in an area that is under constant threat.

"He's one dimensional!"
No, he's focused. I would say he's the one person focused on what's most important.

"His story is bad!"
Patently false. He was traumatized by what he sees as his failure in Quincy, and as a result has a pathological need to help everyone.

What a silly take. His job is to receive and pass along information. It makes sense that he'd be better at that from a central location. Besides, if you want him to get his hands dirty, you can take him with you.

"He's bad game design!"
Again, disagree. His story aligns perfectly with his function in the game, which is to remind you that, no matter how many turrets you build, the Wasteland is still an intensely hostile and dangerous place. Just like in real life, the work will never end.

No he doesn't. He gives you information about places that need help, then lets you decide what to do about it. You know, like a second in command is supposed to.

Once again, I disagree. I would say they are a commentary on real life. In real life, the people who do the most good help others unselfishly, with little reward and little hope of permanent change.

The exact things that make them "bad" quests are the reason why I think they're so important.

The fact is that creating real positive change often involves repetitive work with little personal reward. Helping people not because you'll gain something, but because they need help.

And before someone comes in to say "you're looking too deep into this," let's remember that this is FALLOUT we're talking about. The whole game is a commentary on capitalism, morality, and humanity.

I don't have the problem with the Minutemen as a concept, it's just that the quests save for the stuff involving taking down the Institute leave much to be desired and it doesn't actually seem like you're rebuilding it (save for mods that populate the worldspace with Minutemen patrols i suppose, but honestly you shouldn't be counting mods in this sort of thing), which makes design sense for a failsafe but it would have been really cool if we were able to grab like 3 of your heaviest-armed Minutemen (the "group raid" function is something I really liked about Fallout 76, by the way) and do Railroad (or Brotherhood) quests which are more interesting*. It's neat you can seemingly ally with the Railroad in the Minutemen path but there's no real gameplay hook to doing this, which is unfortunate.

They fumble so hard on the Institute making you actually feel like you're doing deeply mustache-twirling evil that the worst they'd give you is catching escaped slaves. It would have been much more interesting if, for example, you were directed under the orders of the Institute to raze a settlement you previously built instead of just Bunker Hill. Nuka World lets you do this, but that DLC is basically a non-sequitur story wise.

My main problem with Fallout 4 honestly is how small the scale of everything is and the relative lack of impressive setpieces compared to Fallout 3. You can probably blame it on the dogwater cat cores of the consoles, but the 360/PS3 had worse CPUs and they didn't have a problem giving you some quite a few nice things to look at and fight through in Fallout 3. Sure it ran at 15 FPS, but it was really cool to have like 4 EBOS providing fire support while you gun down Enclave by the bucketload.**

* I know you can mod it so you can have your own personal squad of Minutemen, but it's functionality that would have been cool in the base game and the mod wasn't available when I played Fallout 4.
** Perhaps the clusterfuck that Fallout 76 raid events often turn out to be is why I actually like that game. Some people find this sort of mass co-op thing a serious affront to Fallout, which I really honestly can't understand.

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 10:52 on Apr 29, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

My hottest Fallout take:

"He's one dimensional!"

"His story is bad!"

"He's bad game design!"

Preach brother!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I got angry at him for walking in the river and getting stuck under the bridge

Get out of the water Preston!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Tried FO76 during the free weekend and you can instantly level up to 20 once you leave the vault, which takes like two mins, modern mmos kinda blow to get started with

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
One would think that catching escaped slaves who are in effect your grandchildren is deeply morally repugnant but what do I know.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

rudecyrus posted:

jfc, i fell off TNO hard because of this. got deep into it at first thanks to the complex and interesting alt-history narrative, then the fanbase complained it wasn't realistic enough or something, devs added so many obtuse mechanics that it's an endless bore now, reddit is nothing but flagchat and fanfic. gdi

then again, maybe the devs shouldn't have started with modding a game focused primarily on battle tactics and logistics

What you don't enjoy staring at the worst UI ever aimlessly clicking buttons that are theoretically effecting the economy while waiting for the next interesting Japanese detective CYOA to start

Fuligin posted:

TNO is helplessly fail fasc wank, even if it wants not to be

Yup and that's why it's good. Helplessly Fail Fasc Wank is ftw here, in ChudSPAM

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gradenko_2000 posted:

My hottest Fallout take:

"He's one dimensional!"

"His story is bad!"

"He's bad game design!"

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I accepted a Preston quest where some farmer wanted me to rescue her sister from Raiders. She was all like "hurry hurry hurry" and I said "ma'am this is Survival mode, imma take my time and sleep a lot while doing other things"

sister died in captivity, I GUESS, and game's like "ok break the news to Preston" instead of telling the farmer

why should he hear about it???

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

I accepted a Preston quest where some farmer wanted me to rescue her sister from Raiders. She was all like "hurry hurry hurry" and I said "ma'am this is Survival mode, imma take my time and sleep a lot while doing other things"

sister died in captivity, I GUESS, and game's like "ok break the news to Preston" instead of telling the farmer

I mean, delegating that task to Preston seems in-character for your PC based on the rest of the post

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
hoi4 is fun.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

loquacius posted:

I mean, delegating that task to Preston seems in-character for your PC based on the rest of the post
*mashing B* BLAH BLAH BLAH

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Grey Fox posted:

there's a level of disconnect here i don't really understand

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

rudecyrus posted:

jfc, i fell off TNO hard because of this. got deep into it at first thanks to the complex and interesting alt-history narrative, then the fanbase complained it wasn't realistic enough or something, devs added so many obtuse mechanics that it's an endless bore now, reddit is nothing but flagchat and fanfic. gdi

then again, maybe the devs shouldn't have started with modding a game focused primarily on battle tactics and logistics

thought this was wolfenstein at first and was confused at the last part

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Honest Thief posted:

thought this was wolfenstein at first and was confused at the last part

I still don't know what this is talking about, TNO is The Nameless One to me

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Edit 2: essentially Paradox was originally a grognard-but-not-really studio, in that they certainly put designing arbitrary system above letting the player have meaningful interactions with them, but they were also not proper grognards in that they are simply actually pretty ignorant of historical detail and very incurious to grow in this regard. That otherwise untapped middle position of making system-heavy games that nonetheless did not presuppose or require any in-depth knowledge of the period (because Paradox never had any in-depth knowledge of any period themselves) managed to reach an untapped audience of middlebrow autodidact "history buffs" who yearned to pull designated levers and watch their blob encompass toponyms they could feel proud for recognising

This is what propelled the company to its public listing, now they are definitely always aiming towards making their games not just accessible, but streamer meme-friendly with wacky event chains always ready to for reaction videos. A development from the History Channel to Twitch memes; but in terms of actual historical understanding nothing is really lost

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

hoi4 is fun.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Question about Baldur's Gate 3 which I hope to start after I probably finish Wasteland in a couple days (if I don't get seduced back to Cyberpunk)

Is the Dark Urge option a good idea for a first playthrough or no? I have absolutely no idea what class or whatever I'll be playing yet. I've heard it's kind of cool if you're familiar with the plot of the first two games, but that's all I really know.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

for impugning the honor of sordland, you must be destroyed

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

boredland

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

docbeard posted:

Question about Baldur's Gate 3 which I hope to start after I probably finish Wasteland in a couple days (if I don't get seduced back to Cyberpunk)

Is the Dark Urge option a good idea for a first playthrough or no? I have absolutely no idea what class or whatever I'll be playing yet. I've heard it's kind of cool if you're familiar with the plot of the first two games, but that's all I really know.

it is, yes

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

docbeard posted:

it negates basically any roleplaying ideas you might have, the hook is extremely strong (this includes your character taking major actions offscreen)

it's very well done, but if you don't like the vibe (you will know after the second long rest) I'd advise to restart as a "normal" PC

don't play as an origin first, you will lose that characters voice acting, and there's a reason they win all the awards

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Lobe posted:

I still don't know what this is talking about, TNO is The Nameless One to me

"The New Order: Last Days of Europe" is a mod for HOI 4

quote:

The Second World War incinerated the old world. In its ashes now marches a New Order, burying millions under its brutal reign as the last lights of freedom threaten to be extinguished.

The Greater Germanic Reich rose from the World War as the unquestioned hegemon of Europe. 'Endsieg' was, at the cost of innumerable innocent lives, achieved - yet only humiliation followed. The Reich's grand ambitions stand unfinished or failed, its military a bloated corpse and its politics an infighting circus. All this under the fading watch of Adolf Hitler, and the vying gaze of the vultures below him.

United under the banner of the Co-Prosperity Sphere, East Asia is reduced to a shattered phantom in forced subservience to its new master: the Empire of Japan. The Rising Sun shines from the Pacific to the Indian Ocean, celebrating itself as the master of the world's economy and victor over the West. Yet there is resistance against them, diligently working and growing, waiting for the right moment to strike.

Baptized in the nuclear fires over Pearl Harbor stands the last hope - the United States, humiliated and shaken to its very core in the World War, has taken it up to itself to fight for freedom in this dark world. But while its government schemes against the Axis' legacy, more and more of its people resent its internal chaos and segregation. The fight is decided at home, and could change everything.

The Mediterranean wrestled itself from the Reich's waning grip, forging a fragile Triumvirate. The Iberian Union teeters between prosperity and implosion, the Kingdom of Italy struggles to maintain its Fascist legacy against its growing democratic movement, and the Republic of Turkey sits on a colonial powderkeg. What happens past Hercules' Pillars could change the fate of the world.

The Russian bear has broken and fights itself. One thing unites the pieces - a burning desire for a united nation under their own vision. What this vision might be is up to them; but no matter what it is, not all Russia will be united then. For the Reich and the Rising Sun continue occupying its lands, from the once-shining capital Moscow to the port of Vladivostok. Russia must be reunited, truly reunited, at all costs.

Who will be the victor in this world of darkness and despair?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

for impugning the honor of sordland, you must be destroyed

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

ro5s posted:

I played through Wasteland pretty recently after finishing 3. I tried it a bit after originally playing 2 but never finished it, but found it pretty interesting, particularly for it's time. It's interestingly proto-Fallout too, it could almost fit into that series as entry 0 with stuff like the not brotherhood of steel in the endgame.

The tagline on ads for Fallout 1 was "Remember Wasteland?"

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm happy people can still play wasteland 1 in the 21st century and still enjoy it

:amen:

Al! posted:

lol faran brygo not since noob saibot have i seen a more subtle self insert

He shows up in Wasteland 3 as well, if I remember right?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Lpzie posted:

24 hrs, still 0 examples of two people with the same name in a video game. it's just never been done.

There are two Chitoses in Infinite Wealth: a Like a Dragon Story

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
put the Beverly Hillbillies in Fortnite

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

put the Beverly Hillbillies in Fortnite

May 3rd has a 15 gb update for the big star wars event coming. Will have 4 skins, Lego sets, and fortnite festivle crossover.

Preparing to play the jizz

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
can't wait to get the Jizz Jam Track so I can mash up the cantina music with X Gon Give It To Ya

btw Scenario is probably my number one vocal track rn, the Busta Rhymes part is just so fun to play. Into You by Ariana Grande is a close second, her style of singing goes really well with the vocal tracks they've set up

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
scenario and jizz are good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I like the 8 minute wayward son.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

TNO rules

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's incredible how much easier the game is outside of Survival mode.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Not gonna lie, but the dumbass stellar blade culture war poo poo going from libs pulling their collars about conservatives praising it and the company being very bad about feminist stuff to libs buying and praising the game because conservatives are angry they added cover-up stuff to the real egregious skins is funny.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Not gonna lie, but the dumbass stellar blade culture war poo poo going from libs pulling their collars about conservatives praising it and the company being very bad about feminist stuff to libs buying and praising the game because conservatives are angry they added cover-up stuff to the real egregious skins is funny.

it's so easy to get people to buy stuff for the dumbest of reasons with just a little bit of prodding lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's another souls like, people buy that poo poo out of reflex or habit now.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
nioh good

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

It's another souls like, people buy that poo poo out of reflex or habit now.

that is also a dumb reason to buy something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I looked it up out of curiosity and it looks like they slightly changed one outfit? literally who cares, culture war poo poo is so fake and dumb lol

gonna point at the "this isn't worth caring about" sign again sorry everyone