Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
adjudicator buffs hell yeah

sniped by the br-14 gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Infidelicious posted:

Eruptor losing its big AOE vs. small stuff really hurts it - it's still fun to use vs. devs and berserkers but it's really kinda bad vs. small bots now.

Dang, that's half the reason to equip it. Same versus bugs?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Lobok posted:

Dang, that's half the reason to equip it. Same versus bugs?

Haven't tried it vs. bugs but it's probably a bit better since they tend to bunch up more - it still kills stuff like 2m away from the target. But you can't kill like half a POI by shooting the ground or the guy in the middle anymore.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I guess that's what the airburst rocket is for now

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Durzel posted:

I guess I see it more in MMO logic terms. You wouldn’t expect to be able to do raids and stuff like that solo, but you can still do stuff solo that is part of the same game. Likewise I don’t think it should be possible to stealth objectives when “proper” “as intended” play involves fighting the bugs/bots head on.

Being able to solo/2 man the highest difficulties in this game, and in some cases it being the more efficient way of doing it, makes no sense. As it is it just sounds like they’ve made it harder, not blocked it completely.

I would caveat the above by saying that Super Samples shouldn’t be gated behind 7+ difficulty. It ought to be possible to convert samples to a higher quality like you can with gems in MMOs.

I would say the big difference with MMOs is that there is a competitive element to those (usually). Gear is gated behind raid encounters, and being able to solo them or do them with fewer players than intended can break the gear treadmill. Helldivers doesn't have anything like that, unlocks are either cosmetic or rated on a flat power curve so you can't access greater player power by soloing stuff. Even so, soloing confers no benefit like it does in an MMO, rewards are duplicated to all players so you don't get extra rewards by cutting the number of players in Helldivers. Also as far as I'm aware, bringing less players is basically always harder and makes grinding rewards less efficient, even the best players who can solo 9s reliably will take longer to do so than it would take them in a group.

Finally, I don't agree that stealth isn't an intended playstyle; the game includes stealth mechanics and there is even armour that reduces enemy detection range, I think it's pretty clearly an intended playstyle. And even if it wasn't intended, it's there. It works, it's fun and some people like it, why remove it? If you don't like using stealth you don't have to do it! Again there's no competitive element or meaningful player power curve in this game, more available playstyles makes for a broader and more fun gameplay experience in my opinion!

But yeah I agree it's not the biggest deal, they haven't removed it completely or anything and I haven't played yet to see how much solo play is actually affected, maybe it's nothing major. And I can always turn down the difficulty anyway, I've unlocked everything and capped on resources so I'm not hurting for super samples or anything, I just don't really get the mindset behind their update priorities is all.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

adjudicator buffs hell yeah

sniped by the br-14 gang

lmk how it feels, I really want to like it

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Ouroboros posted:

I would say the big difference with MMOs is that there is a competitive element to those (usually). Gear is gated behind raid encounters, and being able to solo them or do them with fewer players than intended can break the gear treadmill. Helldivers doesn't have anything like that, unlocks are either cosmetic or rated on a flat power curve so you can't access greater player power by soloing stuff. Even so, soloing confers no benefit like it does in an MMO, rewards are duplicated to all players so you don't get extra rewards by cutting the number of players in Helldivers. Also as far as I'm aware, bringing less players is basically always harder and makes grinding rewards less efficient, even the best players who can solo 9s reliably will take longer to do so than it would take them in a group.

Finally, I don't agree that stealth isn't an intended playstyle; the game includes stealth mechanics and there is even armour that reduces enemy detection range, I think it's pretty clearly an intended playstyle. And even if it wasn't intended, it's there. It works, it's fun and some people like it, why remove it? If you don't like using stealth you don't have to do it! Again there's no competitive element or meaningful player power curve in this game, more available playstyles makes for a broader and more fun gameplay experience in my opinion!

But yeah I agree it's not the biggest deal, they haven't removed it completely or anything and I haven't played yet to see how much solo play is actually affected, maybe it's nothing major. And I can always turn down the difficulty anyway, I've unlocked everything and capped on resources so I'm not hurting for super samples or anything, I just don't really get the mindset behind their update priorities is all.

Fair points well made. :)

Can't argue about the fact there is stealth(y) armour in the game, so the playstyle is clearly something they consider as viable.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

turn off the TV posted:

wrap it up quasailures

look how they massacred my boy…

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Arc thrower RoF up 50% is a hell of a thing

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The biggest buff is the flag raising mission being added to higher difficulties :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

turn off the TV posted:

wrap it up quasailures

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Doctor Zero posted:

Stun Mortar has become my go-to 4th load out item. They cooldown quickly, last a really long time and cover a huge area. a stun grenade doesn't even come close to it.

- outnumbered? stun
- huge patrol on your rear end that won't stop? stun
- need to keep poo poo off you while you use console? stun
- need to keep things from swarming rescue missions? stun
- hives/drops getting out of hand? stun
- evac too hot? stun

and you don't have to worry about TKs.

I bring EMS mortar to just about every mission along side stun nades. Agree it’s great but you still need the nades for on demand stuns. The mortar has a stronger effect obviously but it’s a mortar so sometimes it likes to get distracted on one enemy or gets destroyed when a heavy just insta-targets it. I guess part of it is I don’t understand what use something like impacts really have - sure they kill a sone medium/heavy enemies but those are also enemies that you will commonly face way more than 4-6 of before you have a chance to respawn so I tend to gravitate towards better solutions for them anyways.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also I am feeling immensely justified about my complaints wrt blitzer rate of fire

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Arc thrower RoF up 50% is a hell of a thing

Pretty sure that's the Arc shotgun, which had an insanely slow pump action and wasn't good for anything but its stagger. Its ludicrously low rate of fire was just tedious.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

wrap it up quasailures
drat, I was enjoying this weapon too.

It honestly seems like there are some weapons they don't want you to use, they have favorites for sure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t love the auto canon and you’ll never get me to make it my main arrowhead

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Don’t know if I can justify taking Eruptor anymore with the mag size going from 12 to loving 6, god drat.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Psykmoe posted:

Pretty sure that's the Arc shotgun, which had an insanely slow pump action and wasn't good for anything but its stagger. Its ludicrously low rate of fire was just tedious.
Correct, it is. And it had a rate of fire of 1 shot every 2 seconds without having very high damage, a massive RoF boost was absolutely needed.

Also forget loving everything else, senator got a damage boost for more consistent oneshots like I wanted and also got speedloaders on empty reloads. I don't think it even needed the latter if it's getting the damage boost but I'll take it :clint:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
What on earth is with the penalty for playing with a smaller group? It was already harder with fewer people, and while I like playing with full groups, sometimes my wife and/or a buddy and I just want to drop in for a few quick missions. Why change that? What was broken that needed a fix? Oh no, a few really good players were dropping in solo on 8's and 9's and rushing super samples? Who cares? The die-hards are already capped out anyway, or will be soon.

I honestly don't think the devs know what they're doing with balance. Too many of these changes feel like "play the way we want you to play", rather than addressing things that were actually broken or too overpowered.

The Quasar was balanced with its already-long recharge and firing time.

The Eruptor was balanced because it's awful against close-up enemies and difficult to aim and fire quickly.

The laser guard dog was balanced because it still wouldn't save you against anything remotely armored, and had built-in danger to yourself and teammates.

Really, none of those particularly needed a nerf. I kinda get the ammo reduction on the Eruptor, but going from 12 to 6 seems extreme, and the splash damage nerf sucks.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I don’t understand the quasar nerf QQing like just shoot your primary for 5 seconds or throw a grenade, it’s no big deal

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DLC Inc posted:

Don’t know if I can justify taking Eruptor anymore with the mag size going from 12 to loving 6, god drat.
Honestly, I don't know if I ever fell to half mags on the eruptor before. I think it's fine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

hey mom its 420 posted:

I don’t understand the quasar nerf QQing like just shoot your primary for 5 seconds or throw a grenade, it’s no big deal

I need to shoot down the other dropship bc it’s cool

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

DLC Inc posted:

I don't think I've ever come anywhere near running out of mags for the Eruptor, that doesnt seem much of an issue at all

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

I feel like I've dropped below 6 mags...twice? And that was on a long clusterfuck of a mission where I never got to call in a mission and for whatever reason couldn't find much ammo in PoIs.

I think it just means I'll be more mindful of grabbing a resupply or ammo pack every so often.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

If they wanted to kill the quasar, they'd increase the charge time. Increasing the cool down is mild as hell as far as nerfs go.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I honestly don't think the devs know what they're doing with balance. Too many of these changes feel like "play the way we want you to play", rather than addressing things that were actually broken or too overpowered.

The Quasar was balanced with its already-long recharge and firing time.

The Eruptor was balanced because it's awful against close-up enemies and difficult to aim and fire quickly.

The laser guard dog was balanced because it still wouldn't save you against anything remotely armored, and had built-in danger to yourself and teammates.

Really, none of those particularly needed a nerf. I kinda get the ammo reduction on the Eruptor, but going from 12 to 6 seems extreme, and the splash damage nerf sucks.

The Quasar and the Laser Rover both were incredibly prevalent picks. Same with the Sickle.
I think most of the changes in this patch make sense; they're trying to ramp down the things which dominate the meta so that there's an actual variety of equipment rather than a quarter of the playerbase going Sickle/Quaser/Rover and whatever two strikes they prefer for every single mission.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think people are misunderstanding the "penalty with playing with a smaller group". There is no penalty, in fact with a smaller group spawn rates are reduced to compensate. The point here is that this reduction has been reduced a bit, so it will be harder at the highest difficulties for solo players now. And that's like, fine? If you are playing at the highest difficulty solo, presumably you want a challenge. If some people are good enough to reliably solo hell dive difficulty now then maybe something should be done to stop them from getting bored. If 9 is too hard now just drop down to 8? It's just a matter of bragging rights anyway.

In terms of mag size changes, the amount of mags you get back from resupply is more important than the max amount anyway, unless you are really bad at staying alive.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 29, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also I am feeling smug as hell about the fix to some explosions like the eruptor's pulling hit players forwards, because some guy on the hd2 discord earlier was insisting that the explosion knockback working like that was "intentional" and "the main schtick of the weapon" because you could see it happen for a split second in the warbond trailer

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, for bug missions at least rover + quasar + two whatever strategems was by far the best thing most of the time. now it's not such a slam dunk. I was running arc thrower on most bug missons and I expect to see more people use it now.

For bots AC is still king, hope they don't nerf it tho

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Turns out punisher plasma murders you and explodes inside your loving shield now lmao.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

BastardySkull posted:

Turns out punisher plasma murders you and explodes inside your loving shield now lmao.

A demonstration

https://i.imgur.com/W89IoRk.mp4

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The_White_Crane posted:

The Quasar and the Laser Rover both were incredibly prevalent picks. Same with the Sickle.
I think most of the changes in this patch make sense; they're trying to ramp down the things which dominate the meta so that there's an actual variety of equipment rather than a quarter of the playerbase going Sickle/Quaser/Rover and whatever two strikes they prefer for every single mission.
Then make the other weapons better.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I hope the same thing happens with the airburst rocket :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Looks like the EAT is back to being king of the AT mountain.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Also this. I’d have run the regular rover a lot more if its ammo constraints weren’t so bad. In testing it I noticed it does a lot less teamkill/chip damage to allies, but it feels like a single engagement runs the whole pack out of ammo. Even with the nerfs I’ll still probably run the laser dog, it’s secondary utility as a laser pointer for poo poo sneaking up on me is invaluable and so long as it can still kill hunters and other chaff I’m fine with it.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

:perfect:

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

yea I mean, I was kind of bored of how obviously superior the Quasar was to other picks most of the time. same with the Eruptor sometimes, it is a really really powerful primary gun. I'm excited to try out my Adjudicator post patch, because I always liked the feel of it. I don't know. I kinda understood every change they made, but I'm sure they'll need more tweaks to get things more in line like any game of this size.\

Is the railgun good now? I haven't used it much but it sounds cool

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The_White_Crane posted:

I would not say that is the majority of loadouts I see, whether playing with my RL friends or with goons. Sickle is popular for sure, but I'm often the only one carrying an Eruptor and/or laser Guard Dog against bugs.

I'll need to experiment more with the Eruptor change, but a 30% damage nerf to the Rover is going to make it far less useful for keeping the random Hunter or Warrior off your back. I'll probably just run the personal shield against bugs from now on.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Pretty much this.

I understand that power creep is a thing, but both of the enemy factions have been buffed with new units over the past couple of months, and have generally gotten more dangerous. Nerfs should be reserved for stuff that is so flat-out better that little argument can be made for carrying anything else. If a new weapon comes in and eclipses everything else, make small tweaks and see how it balances out.

If everyone's using the Quasar, which doesn't feel overpowered on its own, why not make the Recoilless Rifle better? Heck, just reduce the reload animation by like a second. EATs honestly don't need a buff, I feel like they were a sidegrade to the pre-buff Quasar. Eruptor has a bunch of drawbacks and a lot of people hate using it; there are a ton of other effective weapons against bugs, and it sucks against bots. The Sickle, to be honest, is so good that it probably needed a nerf, and the one they chose was a good compromise -- it doesn't decrease the usefulness, but it makes it so you can't just hose down enemies nonstop without considering ammo. A 30% damage nerf (Rover) or 60% charge increase (Quasar) is too extreme given those weapons' drawbacks.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the gun dog can get kind of insane kills while its running. absolute massacre of weaker bugs. i can understand why they wanted to slow it down, but wish they hit its ROF instead of its ammo efficiency.

IMO there's a lot of overreaction to the Quasar nerfs, such as they are. Quasar still king poo poo of AT shot output/minute. It doesn't change how the weapon feels to use at all, no additional charge time or damage output or anything. It's just how rapidly you can get additional shots off, but people who were concerned about that were running EAT/RR anyway.

edit: do we really want to buff every other gun in a game because everyones using some OP gun? then you have to buff the enemies because the game is boring! its massively more work and way more likely to get weird and dumb.

even with the occasional nerfs, the game is clearly power creeping already; they buffed the damage on the liberator which is supposed to be the baseline gun.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If they really wanted to nerf the quasar they’d have made it have a reload animation, just use your gun for a while nbd. Boo hoo you can’t shoot down dropships constantly now :shrug: