Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I remember realizing something was up with the American media during OWS. When I, an idiot fresh out of college, could easily see what the protests were about, but the media were like "gee, what do they want, we just don't know, so we wandered around until we found someone dressed like a crazy person ranting about mind control rays, wow this guy is nuts, therefore the system is fine and anyone who protests is obviously insane."

And yeah yeah I know the Iraq War, but even that was less one-sided.

This is a pretty boring clichéd thing to say, but their jobs depend on them not understanding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fleetwood posted:

Nate R Silver

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

Won't someone please think of the moderates! :qqsay:

President Biden’s reelection campaign faces the difficult task of appealing to moderate Republicans who may feel like they don’t have a place to go this election with former President Trump on the ballot.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4624914-joe-biden-nikki-haley-moderates/

Wow weird "moderate" Republicans are almost impossible to win over? Good thing we alienated every Muslim in Michigan to try to pander to them!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

Wow weird "moderate" Republicans are almost impossible to win over? Good thing we alienated every Muslim in Michigan to try to pander to them!

It's going to be funny if/when the Dems lose the Muslim vote and act all shocked-pikachu over it.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Harold Fjord posted:

Rainier Salad Czar said he was going to read Capital and make a thread.

i'd read the hell outta that thread

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

Harold Fjord posted:

tahnks for letting us know

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

the_steve posted:

It's going to be funny if/when the Dems lose the Muslim vote and act all shocked-pikachu over it.

They'll just use the moment to gleefully fantaize about how rascist the Republicans are going to be to them so that when they call for helpnall the good liberals will look down from their high horses and whisper no

042824_2
Apr 28, 2024

KomradeX posted:

They'll .... whisper no

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

VitalSigns posted:

what kind of "moderate" Republicans wouldn't vote for drumpf

042824_2
Apr 28, 2024
a moderate conservative east coast academic with a 20,000 watt whisper

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

KomradeX posted:

They'll just use the moment to gleefully fantaize about how rascist the Republicans are going to be to them so that when they call for helpnall the good liberals will look down from their high horses and whisper no

thats what they do when they win anyways

Apr 29, 2024
what happens when they lose :allears:?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

luv2shit posted:

tahnks for letting us know

No problem I'm personally very excited to read it

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Palladium posted:

what kind of "moderate" Republicans wouldn't vote for drumpf

It's the affluent centrist vote, not "Moderate Republicans" like they are claiming.

The districts that won Georgia for Biden in 2020 were the affluent suburban lakehouse districts. They are just as likely to vote Republican over taxes or something as they are to make a statement by voting Dem.

It's why the white house thinks there is this giant segment of the GOP who are "moderate swing voters" who are displeased with Trump when its really like 50,000 psychopaths in the $200,000-$500,000 salary bracket in each state who change their votes based on how their wealth is doing.

Pretending they are lifelong republicans means the dems win by "stealing" them, not that they need the correct bribes to being the disgusting double obama voting shitheads back after Hillary drove them away.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Fleetwood posted:

Nate R Silver

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Fleetwood posted:

Nate R Silver

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rectal Death Alert posted:

The districts that won Georgia for Biden in 2020 were the affluent suburban lakehouse districts. They are just as likely to vote Republican over taxes or something as they are to make a statement by voting Dem.

It's why the white house thinks there is this giant segment of the GOP who are "moderate swing voters" who are displeased with Trump when its really like 50,000 psychopaths in the $200,000-$500,000 salary bracket in each state who change their votes based on how their wealth is doing.
Of course, this totally delusional belief goes back further than 2016.

It was such a great idea to hand governance over to an elite "meritocracy" of rich people who only talk to each other.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Harold Fjord posted:

oh no

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
The really stupid thing about the university protests and the admins' refusals is that the demand isn't even hard. It's not like they're asking the university to burn the money in its portfolio in a dumpster. Just invest it in literally anything else. The Columbia protest's website specifically names Microsoft, Alphabet, Amazon, and a list of other companies represented in ETFs. Here's the thing though, and this is where I might be just confused or misreading things.

Someone put together a spreadsheet showing all of Columbia's investments they want the fund to divest from. The students are basically asking the university to move about $200,000* worth of stock, and 95% of it is direct stocks in three companies. It would be piss easy to do this. The whole endowment is $13 billion in assets with annual surpluses in the hundred million dollar range, the students are asking them to take 0.0015% of that and do something with it that isn't related to genocide, and the university is acting like the students want the college to dissolve.

* $173,265.46 total, $164,306.00 of which is in Apple, Microsoft, and Alphabet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

SixteenShells posted:

The really stupid thing about the university protests and the admins' refusals is that the demand isn't even hard. It's not like they're asking the university to burn the money in its portfolio in a dumpster. Just invest it in literally anything else. The Columbia protest's website specifically names Microsoft, Alphabet, Amazon, and a list of other companies represented in ETFs. Here's the thing though, and this is where I might be just confused or misreading things.

Someone put together a spreadsheet showing all of Columbia's investments they want the fund to divest from. The students are basically asking the university to move about $200,000* worth of stock, and 95% of it is direct stocks in three companies. It would be piss easy to do this. The whole endowment is $13 billion in assets with annual surpluses in the hundred million dollar range, the students are asking them to take 0.0015% of that and do something with it that isn't related to genocide, and the university is acting like the students want the college to dissolve.

I bet any given Columbia student's dad could just buy that out as a lump sum to make the protests stop

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

the_steve posted:

Then they'll start pushing for a Muslim ban while still saying Trump's was bad (because it didn't go far enough)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i checked that spreadsheet and theres alot more companies in there that directly invest with israel that the uni has money in

but anyway yes they can simply do that and walk away but its better i guess they go after people protesting genocide

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Orders flow from the top down, not the other way. Acceding to demands of the people on the bottom is a perversion of the social order and must be stopped, no matter how meager the demands are.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SixteenShells posted:

penny wise, pound foolish in orgs is like me breathing air

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

HallelujahLee posted:

i checked that spreadsheet and theres alot more companies in there that directly invest with israel that the uni has money in

but anyway yes they can simply do that and walk away but its better i guess they go after people protesting genocide

There's a bunch of companies but they're bundled together into about 4 ETFs. Maybe it's really hard to find an ETF that doesn't invest in Israeli companies, though. I dunno.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Democracy becoming so totemic that that expression can coexist with cracking down on peaceful student protest is pretty cool.

Democracy is not allowed to address any material conditions, not allowed to actually change how things work in society, nor allowed to alter foreign policy, can only be expressed by voting once every for years for one of two parties, both of which frequently go against the wishes of their electorates... it's so loving abstract at this point that if they just had a ritual that reaffirmed that daimones, rather than demos, blessed the government for another four years, like oracular rituals with the little tickets, that would probably be more satisfying, you know in terms of phenomenology.

They're appealing to belief in something that has been purposefully removed from material reality and the expression of power or will, so why not just make it fully mystical or whatever?

Nobody cares about (this form of) democracy. It's not real, it doesn't matter. The Democrats themselves actively destroyed that system of belief, which was pretty shortsighted and stupid on their part, in hindsight. They could have kept throwing people bones and kept the thing chugging along, but nobody cares about the preservation of a system that doesn't do anything for them.
Just wanted to say that I enjoyed this. I would much rather make an offering to Antoninus Pius than vote for Genocide Joe.

I will also quibble on one point, for fun: In this model of democracy you are also allowed to protest, but all the same restrictions apply. Protest is only legitimate if the purpose is "awareness raising," which is immaterial and immeasurable, or if it feeds directly into two-party electoralism. Vote, vote, vote, and gripe at other people to get them to vote.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
(Also I realize with ETFs you can't just pluck one stock out of the list and divesting from them would require taking the whole $364,281 out of those ETFs and putting it somewhere else. Again, though, the demand does not seem to be that the money is destroyed or spent, just moved to anything else).

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

piss tape israel

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

SixteenShells posted:

There's a bunch of companies but they're bundled together into about 4 ETFs. Maybe it's really hard to find an ETF that doesn't invest in Israeli companies, though. I dunno.

there was a good list of companies posted before i think the i/p thread but yeah

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jbenmenachem/status/1784949311823852031

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

weird how the universities suddenly aren't cool with settlers moving in on someone else's property

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SixteenShells posted:

I'm not very well versed in the history of the time - is the issue that they make it seem like Hitler was a legislative blockade for all of 1932/33 and Hindenburg handed him the keys to just get something done, when really it was like two months of gridlock before Hindenburg said "gently caress this whole government anyway"?
elided is hindenberg, a monarchist, agreeing to hitler dissolving the parliament under hitler's promise to return germany to a monarchy lol

following this event, the poor hapless hindenberg continued public appearances with hitler

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Halloween Jack posted:

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed this. I would much rather make an offering to Antoninus Pius than vote for Genocide Joe.

I will also quibble on one point, for fun: In this model of democracy you are also allowed to protest, but all the same restrictions apply. Protest is only legitimate if the purpose is "awareness raising," which is immaterial and immeasurable, or if it feeds directly into two-party electoralism. Vote, vote, vote, and gripe at other people to get them to vote.

I hadn't thought of the protest thing, good point. Protest is only allowed if it's... well not protesting anything, as you say, but feeding directly into it.

I know there's that meme of Mesoamericans making a human sacrifice, but if you wrote down all of the elements of our political system, it's hard to see it as not mostly ritual based at this point imo - at least as far as popular participation goes. A Shell executive probably does see politics as the contestation of material resources through networks of power, because he can make a phone call (appeal to a representative) and have something happen (policy changes as a result of popular will).

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

comedyblissoption posted:

elided is hindenberg, a monarchist, agreeing to hitler dissolving the parliament under hitler's promise to return germany to a monarchy lol

following this event, the poor hapless hindenberg continued public appearances with hitler

it's probably my own burger-poisoned brain but the idea of doing all that poo poo to restore a monarchy is loving wild to me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If protests didn't work, or at least didn't rattle the elites, they wouldn't be trying so hard to crack down on twenty year olds setting up tents.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
the quad lawn that's usually covered with undergrads sunbathing or tossing frisbees is now covered with undergrads with tents. instead of walking by a pro-life display of aborted fetuses or the preacher who comes every day to yell about homosexuals, students have to walk by handmade pro-Palestine posters. the university will never recover from this

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Think of all the Zionist students who might be triggered by the reminder that Palestinians exist. It's terrible antisemitism; completely unfair.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SixteenShells posted:

The really stupid thing about the university protests and the admins' refusals is that the demand isn't even hard. It's not like they're asking the university to burn the money in its portfolio in a dumpster. Just invest it in literally anything else.
the hard part obviously is it's effectively a boycott of israel, which is politically problematic with elite opinion.

even if the money hypothetically amounted to a pittance of the portfolio, the billionaire donors with much larger purse strings are currently personally calling the universities to rid them of the protestors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ooh some real nice anti-succ today

quote:

By the time of the primary, Zahr was helping campaign against Biden. In collaboration with the Dearborn-based Arab American Political Action Committee, he helped send 15,000 mailers to homes in Dearborn requesting people vote anyone but Biden. He told me his principal goal this coming election is only to make sure Biden loses. The primary vote “was the beginning of a process that ends with him losing in November,” he said. “We’ve already cost the Democrats the White House. We know how to do it, OK? And we have a chance to do it this time around. And that’s all I’m interested in,” Zahr said, in reference to Hillary Clinton’s 2016 defeat to Trump. If punishing Biden means helping Trump win the next election, Zahr says he can live with that.

“If Trump were president right now, this war might’ve been over, because there might have been enough uproar from rank-and-file Democrats,” he said. “I think we have a lot of power in not being wed to a party.”

https://slate.com/human-interest/2024/04/donald-trump-joe-biden-2024-election-michigan-muslims.html