Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A friend asked me about Hitman and I'm gonna share because I love this game so much!!!

INFO

1) What's on sale right now is the complete game except for 4 pieces of dlc: 2 cosmetic packs, 2 tiny mission packs (which are nice, but you wouldn't play them until after you beat most of the game)

2) Vanilla is solid, no complaints! I have put at least a hundred hours into (separately) Hitman 1, 2 and 3 in vanilla. It's a rock-solid fun game, and the mods, while nice, aren't required at all.

3) If you want to play the game offline, or almost-offline, without being beholden to IO's servers, good news! Mods make full offline work, or you can use the Peacock fake-server for a 1:1 experience (so you can experience any time-limited content whenever you want, with infinite retries)

4) obligatory final infodump: Hitman's story mode, where you follow the story from Paris to the end, is imho the best way to play the game as a start. Play a mission, then redo it a bunch, go to the next one and repeat, have fun exploring everything.

All of the side and bonus contents and modes (including the time-locked stuff) are fun, but they're all either meant for after you've beaten the game (Freelancer mode especially) or side content you enjoy whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

StrixNebulosa posted:

1) What's on sale right now is the complete game except for 4 pieces of dlc: 2 cosmetic packs, 2 tiny mission packs

The new reboot has always been confusing what with three releases, ton of DLCs, online requirements, changing publishers, etc, so thanks for clearing out most of the questions I've had about this one.

Is "HITMAN World of Assassination Deluxe Edition" the version you are mentioning as containing pretty much everything? It's 45€, which is similar to the price you mentioned on the previous page, but I'd better ask for confirmation than be sorry.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

The new reboot has always been confusing what with three releases, ton of DLCs, online requirements, changing publishers, etc, so thanks for clearing out most of the questions I've had about this one.

Is "HITMAN World of Assassination Deluxe Edition" the version you are mentioning as containing pretty much everything? It's 45€, which is similar to the price you mentioned on the previous page, but I'd better ask for confirmation than be sorry.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1659040/HITMAN_World_of_Assassination/

Purchasing the Deluxe Edition gets you Hitman 1-3, the bonus maps (NY Bank, Haven Island, etc) and a shitload of bonus minor content. It is the most cost effective way to purchase the whole trilogy in one fell swoop.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes that's it. It's a good deal if you don't have any part of Hitman 2016 Hitman 2 2018 Hitman 3 2021 Hitman WoA yet.

However, they want me to pay to unlock Hitman 2 stuff I already own, please go gently caress yourself IOI.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

orcane posted:

Yes that's it. It's a good deal if you don't have any part of Hitman 2016 Hitman 2 2018 Hitman 3 2021 Hitman WoA yet.

However, they want me to pay to unlock Hitman 2 stuff I already own, please go gently caress yourself IOI.

It is baffling to me that IO has managed to make probably a literally perfect game (for me) and then managed to sell it in the worst possible way, every single time. And I say this as someone who bought 1, 2, and then I even got 3 on epic because I was that invested.

related/unrelated it was really nice to finally have hitman on steam - I uninstalled epic over the weekend and it felt nice to reduce the amount of launchers in my life.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

It is baffling to me that IO has managed to make probably a literally perfect game (for me) and then managed to sell it in the worst possible way, every single time. And I say this as someone who bought 1, 2, and then I even got 3 on epic because I was that invested.

related/unrelated it was really nice to finally have hitman on steam - I uninstalled epic over the weekend and it felt nice to reduce the amount of launchers in my life.

I'm in the exact same situation of having bought Hitman 1 and 2 on Steam and 3 on EGS, because IOI decided to shaft me.

I could be convinced to pay for Hitman 1 and 2 again on Steam if only there was an option to transfer progress from EGS to Steam but I'm definitely not buying 2/3rds of the game again just to have to re-unlock everything as well.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they could have handled it better but merging three games owned by three different publishers (squeenix, warner, themselves) must have been a nightmare to work out

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

repiv posted:

they could have handled it better but merging three games owned by three different publishers (squeenix, warner, themselves) must have been a nightmare to work out

But they have already merged the game already (and then un-merged them again for some reason).
They could've easily offered a discount to WoA for the owners of Hitman 1 and 2 but actively chose not to.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I'm in the exact same situation of having bought Hitman 1 and 2 on Steam and 3 on EGS, because IOI decided to shaft me.

I could be convinced to pay for Hitman 1 and 2 again on Steam if only there was an option to transfer progress from EGS to Steam but I'm definitely not buying 2/3rds of the game again just to have to re-unlock everything as well.

fwiw if you use the peacock server, you can have it set so everything is unlocked already. I don't do that because I like re-unlocking things :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I might be completely fabricating memories but I think there was a period of time where owners of 1/2 got those ‘DLC’ in 3? You had to do some account thing through their website I think. Why that was temporary who the gently caress knows.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Orv posted:

I might be completely fabricating memories but I think there was a period of time where owners of 1/2 got those ‘DLC’ in 3? You had to do some account thing through their website I think. Why that was temporary who the gently caress knows.

There was some witchery you had to do to get your progress from 1 and 2 merged into 3 that involved signing into their site with your account and linking things, IIRC. I never got it to work, myself, I just ran the missions again.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

Part of the problem was that H3 on PC was Epic exclusive, but they devised a system where you could unlock H1/H2 content in H3 on EGS if you had them on Steam. So for about two years you could import your previous Hitman 1/2 content purchases into H3. It was easier on console because those just flagged your account as having H1 and/or H2 and unlocked the respective DLC in H3.

They shut down location importing when they relaunched H3 as WoA in early 2023. Even though they claimed they were going to give you the H1/H2 content through their access pass system "for free" with the relaunch to WoA, what they really meant was "if you imported it already, WoA would continue to include everything, but if you didn't you can get hosed and pay us again".

Velocity Raptor posted:

There was some witchery you had to do to get your progress from 1 and 2 merged into 3 that involved signing into their site with your account and linking things, IIRC. I never got it to work, myself, I just ran the missions again.
That's "Progression Carryover" and is still possible, but it's a different thing (you import your mission progress / unlocks from H2 into H3). We're talking about unlocking the actual content/maps because H1 was episodic and H2 had a bunch of post-launch DLC maps. H1 is included in WoA's basic edition but there are two different editions that include vanilla H2 maps, or all H2 (including DLC) maps.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 29, 2024

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
Is the 7 Deadly Sins or the Sarajevo Six add-ons worth it? That is the only meaningful content I seem to be missing. Not sure if they are worth the $10 and $5, respectively.

Been a couple of years since I played, but wouldn’t mind having a reason to jump back into it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

orcane posted:

Part of the problem was that H3 on PC was Epic exclusive, but they devised a system where you could unlock H1/H2 content in H3 on EGS if you had them on Steam. So for about two years you could import your previous Hitman 1/2 content purchases into H3. It was easier on console because those just flagged your account as having H1 and/or H2 and unlocked the respective DLC in H3.

They shut down location importing when they relaunched H3 as WoA in early 2023. Even though they claimed they were going to give you the H1/H2 content through their access pass system "for free" with the relaunch to WoA, what they really meant was "if you imported it already, WoA would continue to include everything, but if you didn't you can get hosed and pay us again"

Ah okay, that sucks!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

fwiw if you use the peacock server, you can have it set so everything is unlocked already. I don't do that because I like re-unlocking things :shrug:

Can you use your current save with the alternate server?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Smithwick posted:

Is the 7 Deadly Sins or the Sarajevo Six add-ons worth it? That is the only meaningful content I seem to be missing. Not sure if they are worth the $10 and $5, respectively.

Been a couple of years since I played, but wouldn’t mind having a reason to jump back into it.

Some people think that those missions are okay but IMO, that's the only Hitman content that's absolutely not worth buying.
It's just mediocre mission remixes with mediocre suits and mediocre items as rewards.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Smithwick posted:

7 Deadly Sins adds 7 (hah...) weird remixed guided missions/challenges for the maps + suit unlocks. I personally didn't care for them, but I love wearing the suits so.... overall I wouldn't pick this up unless you really want to try more content.

Sarajevo Six is the same deal, and I've heard mixed opinions on the missions. Remixed missions on maps you've been on.

What you really need for jumping back into Hitman is the Freelancer mode, which is INCREDIBLE

Sininu posted:

Can you use your current save with the alternate server?

I.... have no idea. I'm sorry. The installation guide/FAQ don't mention this either: https://thepeacockproject.org/wiki/intel/installation/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hitman Freelancer mode is "what if you were given targets on maps who aren't the main story ones, with weird conditions and roguelite progression where you can unlock your gear and then choose to bring it on missions or not - and if you die you risk losing your stuff" with a mini-campaign so it builds towards a big 'boss' to kill.

Then with mods it further unlocks to more maps / custom maps (one modder went insane and remade a hitman 1 mission: https://www.nexusmods.com/hitman3/mods/354 in-engine) -

quote:

A remake of The Seafood Massacre from Hitman: Contracts/Codename 47. New NPCs, outfits, Time of Day, map changes, unlisted Mission Stories. Chongqing Noodle Massacre
Welcome to the first fan-made true bonus mission of the Hitman franchise, and what's ended up being the first bonus mission on an H3 map. I'd say in scope it sits somewhere on roughly the same scale as a Patient Zero mission. This takes one of the smallest missions from C47/Contracts (The Seafood Massacre/The Massacre at Cheung Chau Fish Restaurant) and re-imagines it in Chongqing. Despite being one of those games' smallest missions, it still took ~7 months to make and I want to kill myself. But before I do, here's the mod!

- and other stuff like turning off the meta-progression so you can just play the mode without worrying about the unlocks: https://www.nexusmods.com/hitman3/mods/470

and so on and so forth. It's a really difficult mode and meant for people who know these maps very well, but if you're ready for the challenge it's endlessly replayable, has all kinds of weird neat content, gives 47 a house to upgrade, and more.

i sound like an advertisement I'm sorry I love this game!!!!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ok but do we know where Freelancer takes place on the timeline

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

ok but do we know where Freelancer takes place on the timeline

Genuinely yes, it’s right after the story of Hitman 3 when 47 and Diana split off from everyone and go completely independent, hence, “freelancer”. I think this eventually leads into the first game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

so it's after Skyward Fiber Wire, but before A Hit to the Past and Neckties of Colombia

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

orcane posted:

As frustrating as this is, it requires cooperation from Warner Bros. Games (who published Hitman 2) to ask Steam if you own Hitman 2.

(Steam's API endpoint that tells if a particular user owns a particular app will only respond if the API key doing the asking is attached to the publisher of the app in question, and Warner Bros. Games isn't going to give an API key to IO Interactive because that'd let IO Interactive ask about *all* Warner Bros. Games. There was probably a server at Warner that IOI connected to that did the asking, and no doubt Warner has shut it down.)

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 29, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

Genuinely yes, it’s right after the story of Hitman 3 when 47 and Diana split off from everyone and go completely independent, hence, “freelancer”. I think this eventually leads into the first game.

Uhh...doesn't intro to Hitman 1 include a montage of kills from every other game, implying that the trilogy takes place after the rest of the series?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

As frustrating as this is, it requires cooperation from Warner Bros. Games (who published Hitman 2) to ask Steam if you own Hitman 2.

(Steam's API endpoint that tells if a particular user owns a particular app will only respond if the API key doing the asking is attached to the publisher of the app in question, and Warner Bros. Games isn't going to give an API key to IO Interactive because that'd let IO Interactive ask about *all* Warner Bros. Games. There was probably a server at Warner that IOI connected to that did the asking, and no doubt Warner has shut it down.)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Uhh...doesn't intro to Hitman 1 include a montage of kills from every other game, implying that the trilogy takes place after the rest of the series?

47 is stuck in a Groundhog decade, so the timeline is a flat circle.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Was curious, how do people like playing the Hitman games? I'm always a bit torn on how to approach them.

On one hand, I certainly like the various coded 'opportunities' that you can follow to take out a target as they can be quite the spectacle to see unfold and they deliver the most story and pathos, but at the same time, I feel like sometimes they are a bit too overly scripted where I'm not actually doing anything significant: I just follow the guide and it all plays out by itself (ok, you do still have to sneak around and stuff but still).

On the other hand, if I try to do it without a guide, it can be tricky to do so: a lot of opportunities can be very confusing in the way they require you to act where the steps aren't obvious at all without overt non-diegetic guidance. It also feels very difficult to kill them in any other way but the scripted ways as those always lead into an ideal situation where they have no guard, so it's like, well, if it's the most optimal I may as well follow the guide since everything feels inelegant and sloppy otherwise.

Basically I feel like the levels can turn into a sandbox or a theme park depending on your approach, with both of them being fun but also both having their downsides and infecting each other.

Typically when I first go into a mission, I do it completely guideless: sometimes I will organically luck into an opportunity and maybe end up going all the way through with it, but other than that I will just try and improvise something as best I can, be it sniping them, dropping a chandelier on them, poison, wire, whatever works in the heat of the moment. After completing it once that way, I will then follow opportunities and see how they play out until I'm satisfied enough to move on to the next level.

I haven't played it in awhile, but I was thinking of doing some sort of roleplay Golgo-13 where I always need to setup some sort of snipe to get the target.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean it sounds to me like you're playing Hitman correctly. They're puzzle games that revolve around social stealth and trying to cover up murders before they're something more like an Assassin's Creed or a Splinter Cell. Pretty much just use the sandbox in whatever ways you can come up with.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I first do all the Story Missions for one map, which usually show you all the special features of the map and give you time to learn the layout and such, and after I've done them I do a SASO run, before moving onto the next map.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

FutureCop posted:

Was curious, how do people like playing the Hitman games? I'm always a bit torn on how to approach them.

Try to be smart.

gently caress it up.

Get violent.

Hide bodies.

Try to be smart again.

gently caress it up again.

A body gets found.

gently caress this, I'll just gun down the target.

Many people screaming.

Panic escape to some remote map corner to hide.

Try to stealth out in a ridiculous costume after things sound like they settled a bit.

Get spotted.

"A killer you say? Noooo, I am only Le Vampire Magician!"

Mad rush to extraction.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Welp, I got nothin'.

(I could swear I checked this the last time it came up.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oh hey, one-man extreme budget indie open world rpg game Gedonia is on sale for 2.24$

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1114220/Gedonia/

quote:

It’s like if Kingdoms of Amalur had a baby with BOTW's uglier but still good looking sister.

You can create a mage who can fly. That's all I needed to know to be sold on this.

and the dev is selling all of his stuff for 4.14$: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/9859/Oleg_Kazakovs_bundle/

quote:

This bundle includes:

Putrefaction (2015) - old-school style horror fps
The Tape (2015) - slow and short experimental horror game
Envy the dead (2016) - Zombie survival strategy roguelike
Putrefaction 2: Void Walker (2017) - A sequel to Putrefaction, fast-paced, colorful, hardcore, arcade fps
Putrefaction 2: Rumble in the hometown (2017) - Standalone DLC for Putrefaction 2: Void walker
Galaxy Squad (2018) - Sci-fi turn-based tactical game, inspired by FTL and XCOM
Gedonia (2022) - Open world fantasy RPG

Are any of these good? iunno, but for that pricetag I'm gonna find out :getin:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StrixNebulosa posted:

oh hey, one-man extreme budget indie open world rpg game Gedonia is on sale for 2.24$

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1114220/Gedonia/

Oh wow, thanks. Always been a little curious about this one and the price is certainly right

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gedonia's pretty fun especially for the price. It's as janky as you think though, in a good way

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No one responded to my Tower of Time post, so I assume almost no one has played it.

I get anxious going in blind, but I just have to believe in myself

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Orv posted:

I mean it sounds to me like you're playing Hitman correctly. They're puzzle games that revolve around social stealth and trying to cover up murders before they're something more like an Assassin's Creed or a Splinter Cell. Pretty much just use the sandbox in whatever ways you can come up with.

Don't play it like a stealth game. It's a murder sandbox. There are numerous fun ways to take out your targets, and the game will happily guide you to each.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

No one responded to my Tower of Time post, so I assume almost no one has played it.

I get anxious going in blind, but I just have to believe in myself

I enjoy Tower of Time a lot! It can be a bit bland in some regards compared to other RPGs with higher budgets, but I like the story/characters and the way combat works: might be the best RTWP implementation I've played, actually. I just didn't comment that much because it's rather friendly and I don't think you can screw yourself over because you can freely move skill points around to rework your build at any time, stats can be respecced easily as well for a small fee, and the game is quite generous with crystals for crafting and other features to fix any possible gear mistakes (especially if you don't forget to do the bonus challenge fights!). If anything, I'd say consider playing it on Hard, or even Epic: I started the game on Hard but ended up moving it up to Epic since I wanted to be forced to strategize and use all my abilities a bit more.

If you do want any sort of overt guidance, I think this steam post has some decent advice on optimal builds for party members (but even then I don't always agree, for example I like Kane to have his stone wall as it's very unique and interesting).

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 29, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Gedonia's pretty fun especially for the price. It's as janky as you think though, in a good way

Possibly even more janky, but yea if you can look past that it has a certain charm. Absolutely loved the Bard class.
Really excited to see what they can cook up next year (?) with Gedonia 2

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FutureCop posted:

I enjoy Tower of Time a lot! It can be a bit bland in some regards compared to other RPGs with higher budgets, but I like the story/characters and the way combat works: might be the best RTWP implementation I've played, actually. I just didn't comment that much because it's rather friendly and I don't think you can screw yourself over because you can freely move skill points around to rework your build at any time, stats can be respecced easily as well for a small fee, and the game is quite generous with crystals for crafting and other features to fix any possible gear mistakes (especially if you don't forget to do the bonus challenge fights!). If anything, I'd say consider playing it on Hard, or even Epic: I started the game on Hard but ended up moving it up to Epic since I wanted to be forced to strategize and use all my abilities a bit more.

If you do want any sort of overt guidance, I think this steam post has some decent advice on optimal builds for party members (but even then I don't always agree, for example I like Kane to have his stone wall as it's very unique and interesting).

lol I just lost the first tutorial battle. On Normal difficulty. I think it's time for me to hand in my epic gamer license. I might actually need that advice.

e: in my defense, it took me a while to figure out how to turn off the Stand Ground stance

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

lol I just lost the first tutorial battle. On Normal difficulty. I think it's time for me to hand in my epic gamer license. I might actually need that advice.

e: in my defense, it took me a while to figure out how to turn off the Stand Ground stance

I was just regretting that and was going to say that maybe I'm overzealous with the difficulty recommendation, haha! I bet if I started the game on Epic I would've gotten my butt kicked and never got anywhere, and it was only possible now in my run because I had an easier time earlier on lower difficulties to bulk up. So yeah, feel free to stick on whatever you like. In fact, even when I was playing Hard and not having much difficulty, it was still fun.

I actually only just recently learned about turning off Stand Ground too, haha! Typically I'm fine with constantly pausing and micromanaging so I just keep them all on Stand Ground, but now I only put my ranged characters on Stand Ground and let the melee characters roam about.

Speaking of melee, I recommend always sticking with 2H weapons instead of 1H/shield: at least from what I've experienced, the gain in armor you get from a shield just isn't sufficient to justify the huge loss in DPS from losing 2H cleaves.

Definitely use that pause/slow time button to evaluate everything and read the enemy descriptions before the fight so you know what you're getting into (learning what enemies how powerful auras, elemental weaknesses, high armor, etc). For me it's pausing, using the number keys to select people and then move them or use their skills all the time: play the game like an RTS!

Trying to think of any other tips...hmm...I guess don't feel bad about savescumming the fountains? They always give the same result, so you may as well drink from them, see what they give (or take away) and then just reload and proceed how you'd like. The fountains that hurt you are always very obvious in that they hurt you.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Don't worry, I never feel bad about savescumming. In Wrath of the Righteous, I refused to touch any of the difficulty settings at any point, but I had no problem savescumming every five seconds to get a better roll on a skill check.

Yeah, this definitely feels like a low-budget title, with very little voice acting, and (I would say) more casual writing. I actually like the fact that it seems to be going for a more focused experience, with it (presumably) being set up as a gauntlet where you never leave the tower. Not every RPG has to go for the huge open-world approach.

That guy's posts are definitely useful, especially for learning which attributes I should be investing in for each character. Thanks.