Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Play posted:

This is extremely similar to the outcry that happened when the Packers drafted Jordan Love. Everyone freaked out about how they weren't giving Rodgers weapons and that it was ludicrous to try and plan for the future at the quarterback position instead of going all in now. Except the fact is the Packers were never going to the super bowl no matter what they did with that pick, and now they have a replacement at the most important position. I doubt those same people are quite as loud in their protestations now.

The Packers in the two years after they drafted Jordan Love lost in the NFC championship by less than one score (31-26) and lost in the divisional round by only 3 points (13-10). It's really not hard to imagine a 1st round pick making a difference and getting the Packers to the Superbowl. So your assertion that they were never going to the Superbowl when they had the back to back MVP as their QB is crazy. Of course it's not guaranteed, but that draft may easily have cost them a shot or two at a ring.

Yeah, it's working out now because Jordan Love is surprisingly working out fine. But to assert that there was no opportunity cost to using a 1st round pick on a QB that rode the bench for years is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if you think a single draft pick - a rookie, that the Packers don't seem to love playing anyway - would have made a difference, then any number of FA or coaching decisions would also have made a difference. with margins as thin as they are in the NFL it's not really productive to focus on a single issue like that. the Love pick set the team up for the future; Rodgers should have played better or LeFleur called a better game or Gutey signed some better FAs

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Gully Foyle posted:

The Packers in the two years after they drafted Jordan Love lost in the NFC championship by less than one score (31-26) and lost in the divisional round by only 3 points (13-10). It's really not hard to imagine a 1st round pick making a difference and getting the Packers to the Superbowl. So your assertion that they were never going to the Superbowl when they had the back to back MVP as their QB is crazy. Of course it's not guaranteed, but that draft may easily have cost them a shot or two at a ring.

Yeah, it's working out now because Jordan Love is surprisingly working out fine. But to assert that there was no opportunity cost to using a 1st round pick on a QB that rode the bench for years is crazy.

There's an argument that drafting Love is what made Throw Rogan have those two MVP seasons.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Had Bakh's knee not exploded I'm fairly convinced that GB beats TB.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DickEmery posted:

There's an argument that drafting Love is what made Throw Rogan have those two MVP seasons.
I mean you can certainly make the argument. So could a neglectful parent make the argument they were just motivating their child to be their best.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

I mean you can certainly make the argument. So could a neglectful parent make the argument they were just motivating their child to be their best.

lol OK

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is there a transparent methodology for how the league calculates pick forfeits related to tampering?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The presence of Jordan Love in the QB room being the primary cause of a top 5 QB all-time playing like a top 5 QB all-time is an equally ridiculous argument.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Is there a transparent methodology for how the league calculates pick forfeits related to tampering?

Jeremy Maclin to the Chiefs was docked a 3rd and a 5th

Tom Brady to the Dolphins was docked a 1st and 3rd

But I think the only difference in the cases is #1 was more tenuous, the latter they had the Dolphins and Brady dead to rights on the owners' yacht

Harlock fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 29, 2024

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm guessing the Falcons lose at least a 2nd.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gully Foyle posted:

Agreed, they absolutely would have had a better chance of winning either of those games if they had Tee Higgins opposite Devante instead of Jordan Love on the bench. Rodgers was throwing to Devante and pretty much no one else of note and that limits playcalling and the offense as a whole.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He had 85 touchdowns to 9 interceptions and he was throwing to Davante, Allen Lazard, MVS, and Robert Tonyan. There's 1 good receiver in that group.

Couldn't have done it without Jordan Love.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Harlock posted:

Jeremy Maclin to the Chiefs was docked a 3rd and a 5th

Tom Brady to the Dolphins was docked a 1st and 3rd

But I think the only difference in the cases is #1 was more tenuous, the latter they had the Dolphins and Brady dead to rights on the owners' yacht

The dolphins president and Ross’s bitch basically got caught talking to Brady for like 3 months. They had so much evidence it’s kinda funny but yeah between that and there being evidence they talked to Sean Peyton without NOLA during his “retirement” boom you’ve got issues

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Agreed, they absolutely would have had a better chance of winning either of those games if they had Tee Higgins opposite Devante instead of Jordan Love on the bench. Rodgers was throwing to Devante and pretty much no one else of note and that limits playcalling and the offense as a whole.

Yeah lol the Love situation is so fascinating precisely because of the history you’re discussing!

The packers were so good, yet with such a clearly identifiable need, with good players available when they took Love, that it’s pretty convincing that the Packers make the SB if the used that pick on a more relevant need.

But now that those seasons are in the past, it’s like dang, another franchise WB (tbd).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

The presence of Jordan Love in the QB room being the primary cause of a top 5 QB all-time playing like a top 5 QB all-time is an equally ridiculous argument.

yeah god knows top athletes never find motivation in perceived slights. I forgot that wasn't an extant phenomenon

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Chiefs should really be punished heavily for tampering with such a high flying talent who caught the winning TD in the Super Bowl.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The Chiefs should really be punished heavily

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason are out at CBS, Matt Ryan is in.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kalli posted:

I rarely watch CBS NFL coverage but this will probably be an upgrade.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nothing of value was lost or gained

The New White Bread

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

Diva Cupcake posted:

If I'm reading your AV correctly, are you a Jets fan? If so, let me tell you a thing or two about your quarterback.....

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This whole thing is silly because they drafted Love for one reason, it looked like Rodgers was on his way out at the time so drafting a replacement made sense. It didn’t work out because Rodgers rebounded but this isn’t like Cousins who just got into town

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

Had Bakh's knee not exploded I'm fairly convinced that GB beats TB.

Bakhtiari dying had far, far more of an impact on the Packers's championship chances than the difference between Love and, I don't know, Tee Higgins. Remember Rodgers didn't enjoy throwing to rookies anyway. Watson was in the doghouse for half a season before he finally threw to him again.

And *because* the Packers drafted and developed Love they aren't going through years of purgatory before finally scoring a good QB again like some other teams do.

Diva Cupcake posted:

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1254432701991567363

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hell yeah, Christian Barmore signed an extension, 4 years / $92m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bFCOBN7zs

Puts him below the following guys in AAV:

$32m Chris Jones

$28m Christian Wilkins

$25m Justin Madubuike

$24m Quinnen Williams

$24m Derrick Brown

$24m Jeffery Simmons

and even with:
$23m DeForest Buckner, Daron Payne and Dexter Lawrence

Kalli fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 29, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Once he settled down I bet Ryan will be pretty good at that role.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kalli posted:

Hell yeah, Christian Barmore signed an extension, 4 years / $92m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bFCOBN7zs

Puts him below the following guys in AAV:

$32m Chris Jones

$28m Christian Wilkins

$25m Justin Madubuike

$24m Quinnen Williams

$24m Derrick Brown

$24m Jeffery Simmons

and even with:
$23m DeForest Buckner, Daron Payne and Dexter Lawrence

It's important to resign good players. Still, not sure I would take Barmore over anyone on this list. Maybe Derrick Brown.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Once he settled down I bet Ryan will be pretty good at that roll.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Salary dump?

https://x.com/nyjets/status/1784960847409774709

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Salary dump?
Definitely a salary dump and JD explicitly stated as much. Once they traded for Hasaan Reddick they gave him permission to find a team.

He's a good player with positional versatility along the line, that has just never really been able to convert his consistently high pressure rate to sacks, but it's still a little disappointing they essentially gave him away.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What's Cousins' cap hit next year & the year afterwards? If it's manageable this could be a fair gamble considering both he & Penix are a little injury prone.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Android Apocalypse posted:

What's Cousins' cap hit next year & the year afterwards? If it's manageable this could be a fair gamble considering both he & Penix are a little injury prone.

Nov 6, 2002

The Falcons were dumb to not trade down and get Penix later, but ultimately if he plays well no one is going to care or remember. Cousins will be 37 when the season starts and coming off a serious mid-season injury, the quality and length of his future career is a giant question mark. I don't think what they did is really any more radical than the Chiefs drafting Mahomes while Alex Smith was at QB.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Falcons were dumb to not trade down and get Penix later, but ultimately if he plays well no one is going to care or remember. Cousins is 36 and coming off a serious mid-season injury, the quality and length of his future career is a giant question mark. I don't think what they did is really any more radical than the Chiefs drafting Mahomes while Alex Smith was at QB.

How many significant injuries did Mahomes have coming out of college

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Falcons were dumb to not trade down and get Penix later, but ultimately if he plays well no one is going to care or remember. Cousins will be 37 when the season starts and coming off a serious mid-season injury, the quality and length of his future career is a giant question mark. I don't think what they did is really any more radical than the Chiefs drafting Mahomes while Alex Smith was at QB.

They wouldn't be able to do that. The Raiders wanted Penix.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

How many significant injuries did Mahomes have coming out of college

Mahomes has some overpowered Wolverine poo poo where injuries simply do not matter. His kneecap got rotated around 90 degrees and he missed like a week. He basically lost a leg vs the Bengals and was unfazed.

Nov 6, 2002

3 DONG HORSE posted:

They wouldn't be able to do that. The Raiders wanted Penix.

The Falcons could have traded with the Jets at #10. The Bears were always going to take Odunze.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Falcons could have traded with the Jets at #10. The Bears were not going to take Penix.
The Jets desperately tried to jump the Bears for Odunze and the Falcons were all NOPE GOT OUR GUY.

Maybe they galaxy brained themselves into thinking that if they traded with Jets, the Bears would then trade with the Raiders?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Mahomes has some overpowered Wolverine poo poo where injuries simply do not matter. His kneecap got rotated around 90 degrees and he missed like a week. He basically lost a leg vs the Bengals and was unfazed.

Triple jointed freak. Walks like a weirdo, has a dad bod, impervious to injury.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7329585691384450347

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

Triple jointed freak. Walks like a weirdo, has a dad bod, impervious to injury.

I once watched Tyreek's leg bend the wrong way, saw him limping and had to be carried to the sideline. He caught a TD pass 3 plays later.

What I'm saying is KC is cheating and hoarding the Good Drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1785012450041192806