Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Friends list is still broken. But I also just checked my blocklist because I blocked some hostile pubbies and uh it's completely empty. They are definitely gone from recent players but the blocklist doesn't show anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Slyphic posted:

Not a lick of difference. It also hangs every time I try to exit the game, which it used to, but now it does it again. They un-fixed it. And every time I start it, I get a friend request I confirmed months ago (pc to pc, steam friends, public profile).

I had the same issue with the friend request. I have noticed performance dropping with each patch, it really sucks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I saw a hacker in my game, they stood around and melee'd while getting swarmed by a thousand little bugs nipping at them and not taking damage from chargers or bile titans on them, I called them a unpatriotic cheater and they left immediately.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anti-cheat rootkits still every bit as reliable and effective as our TCS

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The social tab remains the most broken part of the game lol

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Dyz posted:

The sickle could have 1 magazine and it would still be powerful when used right.

Nah it would be trash without reloads, you can kill 2-3 tough medium bugs before burnout, and you face 10+ all the time. At 3 reloads they are forcing you to take HSO booster (which is a 100% pick anyways)

Even running away from basically everything you burn through ammo with that thing at an incredible rate

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Quasar still great by the way, teammates bringing their own helps a lot for taking care of multiple titans or shrieker nests, just need to get used to the new muscle memory timing of bringing it out because the little sliver of recharge bar still lies.

Also, Meridia isn't looking so great.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 29, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://i.imgur.com/drV9X3F.mp4
Early testing of the change to strider pilot explosive resist: they seem to take 3 scorcher shots from angles that would normally take 2.
Autocannon can still kill them in 1 shot from front angles, but maybe less reliably?

Risky Bisquick posted:

Nah it would be trash without reloads, you can kill 2-3 tough medium bugs before burnout, and you face 10+ all the time. At 3 reloads they are forcing you to take HSO booster
I don't see how, HSO only matters when you die.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 29, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Not sure why it isn't All Hands on Deck to fix the real problems with existing weapons and Stratagems before tinkering at the margins for existing stuff. Fire damage doesn't work properly for 3/4s of every team, but hey, at least the Sickle has fewer magazines now...

You're describing two very different technical problems. One is a likely a multi-faceted issue involving data flow over time between players and servers. The other is changing one number in the code.

One of these can be changed by one developer in about 10 seconds. The other is a potentially large issue that could require exponentially more time to diagnose, let alone fix and test.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I never quite got why the quasar was so overwhelming popular. It's good but not let's bring four to every mission good.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Gorelab posted:

I never quite got why the quasar was so overwhelming popular. It's good but not let's bring four to every mission good.

It's just easier to use than other options, you don't have to worry about ammo or take downtime at all.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Spore Spewers now have something like Medium+ (pen 5 or 6?) armor and cannot be damaged by most small arms T_T Even the HMG only gets white hitmarkers on it.

Unsolicited opinions from testing over lunch:
Almost every balance change here makes a lot of sense except the Crossbow, which is hot rear end now. It's obviously early, but it feels like the Plasma Punisher is a better option in every conceivable use case. The Crossbow now just feels a Slugger with a lower fire rate, and its explosion radius is tiny now. Also the Plasma Punisher is way easier to use now and is really good.

Feels weird the Gundog still can't get anything back from ammo pickups and the Laserdog still never seems to have to stop to cool, which I guess is the balancing direction the devs want to go; Gundog with high output but low uptime, and Laserdog with low output but high uptime. I still feel like for general gameplay Laserdog will reign supreme, but I can see Gundog being nice for defense scenarios.

Adjudicator was already pretty decent but just had too little ammo (and I guess too much recoil). It's a really solid, safe option.

Arc Blitzer actually fires pretty fast? It feels a lot better.

Laser Cannon does seem to deal less damage to things like Charger butts but is much better at killing small things. Haven't tried it on Bots yet.

HMG getting its third-person reticle feels like a temporary workaround while the devs work to fix the sight alignment issues, but it's still really nice to have. I still really wish it were less cumbersome to reload, but the gun itself has always ripped, especially on bugs.

Senator absolutely owns now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gorelab posted:

It's very easy.

I can't tell you how many games I've seen where the dev releases a gun that's 70% as good as another gun but it's more powerful in edge cases or with a ton of setup or skill and nobody ever uses it because it's a pain in the rear end. They just use the easy gun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yup, ease of use/convenience is a big big deal in how much a playerbase will use things. This is also relevant to how people view the sickle, which is absolutely not as good as stuff like breaker/dominator.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Re-reading the briefing on the new storyline and you know things are bad when Super Earth doesn’t even try to put it’s usual spin on things.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gorelab posted:

Easy to use, no ammo concerns, no concerns about stratagem mission effects like EAT, frees up backpack space for laser on bug missions and shield or supplies or jumpjet on bot missions, which is a big one because only the EAT frees up the backpack space in the same category of weapons and you are at the mercy of where you called the EAT down and if it got swarmed 1 second after you threw it and is currently residing under a bile titan and a 15 second cooldown means you can take out shrieker nests across the map faster then you can call down enough EAT's to deal with one.

It is a staple in the "speedrunner rambo" kit where you are 100% self-sufficient and can take on any threat or objective without having to deal with being useless when you run out of ammo or stratagems.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 29, 2024

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Infidelicious posted:

Counter-Sniper is legitimately good now at least for bots - body shots raiders and headshots devs out to normal engagement ranges - handles a bit like the dominator but with a faster ROF and less recoil so it's usable in CQB.

How similar are the counter sniper and AMR now? If counter sniper does good damage to tank/turret vents and hulk eyes and range isn't too limited it might be worth running instead.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Shield backpack now makes your own plasma shots explode in your face

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Learning that the laser cannon is a "crowd-clearing" weapon and not a "big guy weakspot cooker" has been a real surprise.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It was always supposed to be the 'laser mg', it was just never very good at it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

every so often i manage to queue up for a game with some players who have perfectly mastered the art of not killing any enemies while rushing objectives while also not rushing the objectives fast enough to outrun whatever is chasing them so a single charger/bile titan/computer terminal leads to a complete disaster

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

it was until they buffed it specifically to be an anti big guy weapon, which makes this change baffling

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

LazyMaybe posted:

I don't see how, HSO only matters when you die.

Maybe you always start with a resupply and no one on your team ever dies or something. Without HSO any reinforcement hurts real bad, and in the pubbie sos lottery games, let me tell you they die a lot.

I took it for the stims before because ammo was at almost every poi. Anyways nothing changes for me I would always take HSO

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 29, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can the laser cannon still melt big guys or is the time to kill noticeably slower? what about for shrieker nests and spore towers?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I joined an SOS today with AA Defenses (stop doing these missions guys) dropped into two striders and then the other guy took my loving Autocannon because their poo poo was on cooldown.

So I had to fight the 4th faction.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

You're describing two very different technical problems. One is a likely a multi-faceted issue involving data flow over time between players and servers. The other is changing one number in the code.

One of these can be changed by one developer in about 10 seconds. The other is a potentially large issue that could require exponentially more time to diagnose, let alone fix and test.

If I can rephrase it as less of a labour division problem then, it just strikes me as weird to do rebalancing when a big reason why there may be an imbalance is severe technical issues keeping players from using certain stuff. Like there are a lot of players using Quasars, ok, is that because the Quasar is inherently so awesome or because X, Y, and Z are still busted and unreliable?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It doesn’t even kill as fast as most primaries for hordes.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Nah it would be trash without reloads, you can kill 2-3 tough medium bugs before burnout, and you face 10+ all the time. At 3 reloads they are forcing you to take HSO booster (which is a 100% pick anyways)

Even running away from basically everything you burn through ammo with that thing at an incredible rate

Sickle's changes are neutral IMO, and the Sickle remains an easy-to-use, general-purpose primary. Losing two heatsinks removes some breathing room, but being able to shoot through foliage opens up fields of fire.

Even on difficulty seven and higher for both bots and bugs, there's only been a handful of times I used more than three heatsinks, and that was because I was being sloppy/lazy and had bad luck. Using POI ammo boxes and keeping fire discipline are the most direct ways to deal with having four total Sickle heatsinks.

On the Quasar, it's not the worst nerf. If anything, the additional recharge time further distinguishes the Quasar from the recoilless.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 29, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Risky Bisquick posted:

Maybe you always start with a resupply and no one on your team ever dies or something. Without HSO any reinforcement hurts real bad, and in the pubbie sos lottery games, let me tell you they die a lot.

I took it for the stims before because ammo was at almost every poi. Anyways nothing changes for me I would always take HSO
I'm not talking about HSO in general(though I do still think it's definitely not an always take, especially compared to stuff like vitality or stamina boosters), I was replying to your comment about the sickle change-

Risky Bisquick posted:

-which makes no sense to me in general because sickle is not meant to be used for clearing groups of 'tough medium bugs' and isn't good at it at all, but more importantly I don't see how it impacts whether you take HSO booster or not.
Unless you're just like, reloading sickle every time instead of switching to a new weapon and then dying after running out of reloads.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I've basically decided to make peace with this game always having an assortment of mind-bendingly weird bugs and a CTD every 5-10 games because I have a feeling that the insane derelict Autodesk engine they built the thing with will basically mean some bugs will just be impossible to fix and every time they do manage to fix something like bile titan corpses occasionally sending you into orbit it will inexplicably create two 'sometimes gravity is reversed when the host has a USB webcam plugged in' type bugs.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Lobok posted:

Not sure why it isn't All Hands on Deck to fix the real problems with existing weapons and Stratagems before tinkering at the margins for existing stuff. Fire damage doesn't work properly for 3/4s of every team, but hey, at least the Sickle has fewer magazines now...

HEY EVERYONE THIS GUY HASN'T READ MYTHICAL MAN-MONTH

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

iirc this story beat is what precedes the illuminate invasion set up and im glad to see it

:bisonyes:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Dyz posted:

The sickle could have 1 magazine and it would still be powerful when used right.

Yeah. I rarely have to reload it, and when I do, 95% of the time it's because 3+ berserkers were running at me and were too close to autocannon when I noticed them.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Can the laser cannon still melt big guys or is the time to kill noticeably slower? what about for shrieker nests and spore towers?

Asking the important questions :hmmyes:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Speaking of boosters, the holy grail for blitzes is HSO, stamina, and localization confusion.

LazyMaybe posted:

I'm not talking about HSO in general(though I do still think it's definitely not an always take, especially compared to stuff like vitality or stamina boosters), I was replying to your comment about the sickle change-

-which makes no sense to me in general because sickle is not meant to be used for clearing groups of 'tough medium bugs' and isn't good at it at all, but more importantly I don't see how it impacts whether you take HSO booster or not.
Unless you're just like, reloading sickle every time instead of switching to a new weapon and then dying after running out of reloads.

I use sickle grenade pistol and impact nades, so the sickle is the only gun I have to speed through missions for ~2k exp every 10 minutes. Grenades are for bile spewers, or groups of hunters

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Sickle's changes are neutral IMO, and the Sickle remains an easy-to-use, general-purpose primary. Losing two heatsinks removes some breathing room, but being able to shoot through foliage opens up fields of fire.

Even on difficulty seven and higher for both bots and bugs, there's only been a handful of times I used more than three heatsinks, and that was because I was being sloppy/lazy and had bad luck. Using POI ammo boxes and keeping fire discipline are the most direct ways to deal with having four total Sickle heatsinks.

On the Quasar, it's not the worst nerf. If anything, the additional recharge time further distinguishes the Quasar from the recoilless.

I exclusively play helldive bug blitzes, in case that’s not clear it’s only difficulty 9, 12 minute poo poo fests. You will absolutely need more than 3 heatsinks on them if you want to do all objectives and sub objectives. Fire discipline on bugs does not exist, you needed to kill literally every bug within 5 seconds or you would have an alarm.

On bots you’re only clearing lights and some mediums so the changes don’t really matter.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lol whoops

https://x.com/helldivers2/status/1784991281753600410?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Really figured they'd fix/buff the thermite grenades since they seem to be hot trash. I guess they are victims of the DoT bug?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

lmao I love these guys

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Don't drop directly onto the mutated eggs in the new mission

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Risky Bisquick posted:

You will absolutely need more than 3 heatsinks on them if you want to do all objectives and sub objectives.
↓↓↑→, fellow bug niner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

So a full on "well, the front fell off the TCS in this case, but it's very unusual"

Amazing! No one could have forseen this!