Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

oh no, not HELMET CLAD

those drat kids and caring for their heads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mandel Brotset posted:

good on ya, report back (without doxxing yourself) on how it goes

thrown out of the protest for insisting that they chant divest from instead of death to

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Empty physical threats do not make sense if the demand is divestment and the protests are peaceful. They also don't actually accomplish anything besides giving the police the excuse to crack down and losing public support. This isn't the same as the BLM riots, it's a foreign policy dispute. You don't go about it the same way.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Empty physical threats do not make sense if the demand is divestment and the protests are peaceful. They also don't actually accomplish anything besides giving the police the excuse to crack down and losing public support. This isn't the same as the BLM riots, it's a foreign policy dispute. You don't go about it the same way.

You know that also doesn't accomplish anything? Posting about how you're tugging on your collar.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The difference is that one student writing Columbia Will Burn on a Twitter post doesn't matter as much when there is an actual organizational scaffolding putting out statements, standing to a pillar of 5 demands and holding fast at a bargaining table with the opposition. In the past little quips or adventurist actions were a lot more self damaging bc the moment was way less organized and prone to fracture and division. Seems to not be happening here. Yet. So don't sweat it!

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

are these students also calling for their universities to divest / is that a thing that also happens with universities-as-hedge-funds in japan? or are these more directed at the government?

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

Butter Activities posted:

You know that also doesn't accomplish anything? Posting about how you're tugging on your collar.

arent you a troop

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Imagine if the universities had actually done nothing about the protests at all, they might have just fizzled out when summer hit. Instead they decided to bring in the police and make it a whole thing

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

shut the gently caress up

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Imagine if the universities had actually done nothing about the protests at all, they might have just fizzled out when summer hit. Instead they decided to bring in the police and make it a whole thing

they've been winning for so long that they've forgotten they are winning

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

UGA encampment lasted all of an hour before they were all arrested.

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1784932250934546647

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

OctaMurk posted:

This. I used to work in Siemens (now Intifada) Hall a few years back, and there was a sit in over the killing of a student of color that was mishandled by basically everyone in the local criminal justice system (because they were racists). There were maybe five or six times the number of students at that time then there was last Monday before the cops showed up. I was literally locked in my office. Provost goes out, chats with the organizers, they talk for a few hours, both sides making concessions, and then the students left. No cops, very little vandalism, ended the same day it started.

Monday's sit-in had a fraction of that, just a few dozen students, a handful of tents, and an empty water jug. Instead of talking they immediately sent in the riot squad. Crowd started growing immediately after they arrived, and skyrocketed once they attempted to take the building back.

I don't think it would've even taken until summer. With no police action to bolster their numbers they probably would've fizzled out within the day.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/AHousefather/status/1784372668600287318?t=UpdTyPPZkWY4Rb27Q5eMvQ&s=19

This piece of poo poo has been one of the biggest proponents in Canada's HOC for Israel's right to bomb hospitals and drone strike elementary schools, so watching him squirm and cry over the McGill Uni encampment means the students are doing something right.

Tony Horsefucker

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Noise Complaint posted:

i aint reading all that, free palestine

Thread title right here

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Sherbert Hoover posted:

if i wanted to delegitimize the movement and put protesters at more risk than the substantial risk they are already at, i would definitely write "columbia will burn"

Nah

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Sherbert Hoover posted:

look i'm just saying that unless you have some power you shouldn't be making threats to people who do, and you shouldn't be making your protest look violent when it's budding and gaining public support. the threat to these universities isn't arson, it's student and faculty/staff strikes.

Wait until you find out what Vietnam War student protesters did to campuses

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Looks like we're at Number 4

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
RU in the house!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6Wr2qouj_D/?igsh=NzZsaGVveng2anU3

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
liberal handwringing about extremism killed blm because essentially blm as a movement was unable to produce specific coherent demands. with these protests the demand is simple: this institution can and will divest from supporting israel. thats all it is

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Columbia faculty showed up to physically get between the cops and the students

https://twitter.com/probablyreadit/status/1785010511014445226

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It is ultra-leftist bullshit (and more importantly CRINGE) , but also the people at these protests (and a lot of the posters quoting you) are kids as well. It’s a college, not a retirement home.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PawParole posted:

It is ultra-leftist bullshit (and more importantly CRINGE) , but also the people at these protests (and a lot of the posters quoting you) are kids as well. It’s a college, not a retirement home.

plus somebody already took "I ain't reading all that FREE PALESTINE"

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

"Giving the police the excuse"

ffs

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
somebody hands you a stack of paper and gives you five seconds to write something on it with red sharpie. do you go for funny, important, provocative? it's a tough call, especially at 20 years old. i probably would have tried to write the note that Will Ferrell's character leaves Luke Wilson in Old School at that age

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Saw a video at the Cal protests and on the counterprotester side they got an Asian guy yelling at black people?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
BLM and Occupy both had coherent demands, it just had the press screaming, "WHAT ARE THEIR DEMANDS, WHAT ARE THEIR DEMANDS?!" for months at a time until it become the dominating narrative that there wasn't one. The trick is not to let simple token efforts like renaming a street or having a corporation put out a flimsy statement of support with no action become a substitute for the bottom line. That, and anyone who tries to argue the demands are extremists, to tell them to gently caress off and cite BLM and Occupy being tempered statements and still getting blasted as extremists as example.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Columbia faculty showed up to physically get between the cops and the students

https://twitter.com/probablyreadit/status/1785010511014445226

This is gonna make for some painful videos of old white people getting thrown to the ground.

God speed old white guys. May you land on soft grass.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

every single time one of these happens its the same boring non-arguments from do-nothings oh no you better not write that on a board oh no you better not give them excuses

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

HallelujahLee posted:

every single time one of these happens its the same boring non-arguments from do-nothings oh no you better not write that on a board oh no you better not give them excuses

Don't give the police excuses, give them [redacted]

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.
“Extremist” doesn’t mean anything other than “position that makes the defenders of the status quo uncomfortable” anyway. gently caress that dumb bullshit.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

imagining all of the totally reasonable "lines" that cops have before they will choose to beat the poo poo out of protestors

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i think colleges should be run like a business but like the kind of business that calls the cops on it's employees and customers

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the line has been crossed "farts"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
we weren't gonna sadistically trash your tents, rip up your posters, and throw you in jail when we came here dressed in riot gear, it is your red sharpie that has force our hands.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

university of texas popping off again, riot cops making arrests

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

considering the police have killed people for selling cigarettes, I think the notion of there being a "line" or worrying about "provoking" a response to be laughable

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

PhilippAchtel posted:

Wait until you find out what Vietnam War student protesters did to campuses

do NOT throw grenades into your COs tent

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

anyways uncritical support to the kids

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Probably Magic posted:

BLM and Occupy both had coherent demands, it just had the press screaming, "WHAT ARE THEIR DEMANDS, WHAT ARE THEIR DEMANDS?!" for months at a time until it become the dominating narrative that there wasn't one. The trick is not to let simple token efforts like renaming a street or having a corporation put out a flimsy statement of support with no action become a substitute for the bottom line. That, and anyone who tries to argue the demands are extremists, to tell them to gently caress off and cite BLM and Occupy being tempered statements and still getting blasted as extremists as example.

they had much more vague demands then "end divestment in Israel" and "stop supporting the genocide."

OWS was all over the place by the end because "its bullshit the 1% have more than everyone else" is a correct statement but extremely open to having wildly different solutions, so any individual protestor might have very different answers to the same questions. the decentralized decision making also slowly allowed the movement to get co opted or lost in the weeds.

BLM had the issue of not having a single, focused point of demand on police reform. "defund the police" works to a point but too easily is conflated with total anarchy instead of "burn this system down and replace it with something better" so they started searching for betting unifying goals but the movement was co opted and ran out of steam before that happened. there was also significant problems wherein protestors from the immediate communities often had different goals that the wider group of supporters.

this time its a clear and concise set of demands, and the only tactic the Zionists have is lying or claiming "river to the sea" is a call for genocide. otherwise its just straight up authoritarian clamp downs on protests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Probably Magic posted:

less that they had no coherent demands to begin with, its more that they didn't have the discipline to keep out the type of person who thought posting black squares on instagram or smoking weed at a protest was activism